Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 333

Thread: 1.11.13 - Tweets, News & Updates

  1. #281
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I have completely lost track of your argument.

    What exactly proves that Cohen won't be the GM? That it is someone's opinion that he was a courtesy interview and backup plan in case things fell through. And since someone said they want to be the GM that proves things haven't fell through. Therefore Cohen won't be the GM.

    My point is that things don't need to fall through for him to become the GM. I think he has Rex supporting him. And that could lead to him becoming the GM.
    Exactly. It's a stream of logic.

  2. #282
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    772
    Post Thanks / Like
    As much as Woody may seem incompetent, he is well aware of the public opinion surrounding the team. If he was not, Mike T would still be the GM today. I truly believe Cohen will not get the job, simply because Woody knows the backlash from the fans would be insanely dreadful.

  3. #283
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rick Moffat ‏@RickMoffat
    #Jets have not made on offer to #Popp.

    My theory still stands. They are going to interview all the NFL candidates and if none of them suit Woody or Rex then they will give Popp an offer.

  4. #284
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Rick Moffat ‏@RickMoffat
    #Jets have not made on offer to #Popp.

    My theory still stands. They are going to interview all the NFL candidates and if none of them suit Woody or Rex then they will give Popp an offer.
    Offer and interview are completely different.

  5. #285
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Offer and interview are completely different.
    Apparently they've already interviewed him.

  6. #286
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Apparently they've already interviewed him.
    That is my point, stating they did not make him an offer is pointing out the obvious. If they made him an offer we would not have expanded the search.

  7. #287
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,539
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Exactly. It's a stream of logic.
    No. That is opinions. Cohen is an underdog and he isn't being given much consideration by the "insiders". As for Popp, do you think anybody with aspirations of becoming an NFL GM would ever come out publicly and say anything negative about a team? None of that stuff means anything.

    Rex is coaching for his job. In his first 4 years he showed a resistance to change. Now, with all the changing faces I think Rex would like to keep some familiar ones. Rex loved the amount of power he had over personnel with Tanny as GM. I don't think Rex wants to relinquish that. Therefore I think Rex is backing Cohen and that is why we heard reports that Cohen was gaining support. That is my stream of logic.

  8. #288
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,469
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    58-54 is failing miserably?

    Oh that's right, we're back to the 2 AFCG's game argument again. Psst. That was 3 years ago.

    Who was a hotter available coach than Pete Carroll in 2010?
    No argument about Carroll being a hot candidate when he returned, but did have two teams - Jets in 94 and Pats in 99 - collapse down the stretch on him in spectacular fashion. Surely that gave some NFL folks pause as they considered him for a return to the pros.

  9. #289
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    No. That is opinions. Cohen is an underdog and he isn't being given much consideration by the "insiders". As for Popp, do you think anybody with aspirations of becoming an NFL GM would ever come out publicly and say anything negative about a team? None of that stuff means anything.

    Rex is coaching for his job. In his first 4 years he showed a resistance to change. Now, with all the changing faces I think Rex would like to keep some familiar ones. Rex loved the amount of power he had over personnel with Tanny as GM. I don't think Rex wants to relinquish that. Therefore I think Rex is backing Cohen and that is why we heard reports that Cohen was gaining support. That is my stream of logic.
    Which goes back to the original question of why they didn't hire him yet? Why would they expand the search just for the purpose of picking brains?

    As for Popp, I would tend to think that if he didn't want the job, he would say nothing about it.

  10. #290
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Which goes back to the original question of why they didn't hire him yet? Why would they expand the search just for the purpose of picking brains?

    As for Popp, I would tend to think that if he didn't want the job, he would say nothing about it.
    Exactly the longer this drags out, the less likely Cohen is named the GM. At this point I feel there is a minimal chance he gets the job.

  11. #291
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pro Football Weekly ‏@ProFootballWkly
    New GM Tom Telesco turns the #Chargers' focus to the draft, with quotes from #Colts GM Ryan Grigson, by @kfishbain - http://bit.ly/TPMWLB

  12. #292
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pro Football Weekly ‏@ProFootballWkly
    New GM Tom Telesco turns the #Chargers' focus to the draft, with quotes from #Colts GM Ryan Grigson, by @kfishbain - http://bit.ly/TPMWLB

  13. #293
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    No argument about Carroll being a hot candidate when he returned, but did have two teams - Jets in 94 and Pats in 99 - collapse down the stretch on him in spectacular fashion. Surely that gave some NFL folks pause as they considered him for a return to the pros.
    How many teams in need of a HC do you think would have been lining up for Nick Saban had he made himself available?

    His NFL tenure was far from impressive.

  14. #294
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,539
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Which goes back to the original question of why they didn't hire him yet? Why would they expand the search just for the purpose of picking brains?

    As for Popp, I would tend to think that if he didn't want the job, he would say nothing about it.
    There can be plenty of reasons. One is that he is already an employee and there is no risk of losing him. Another is like what I mentioned before, that they are doing a very thorough search and familiarizing themselves with all of the candidates. Picking brains is only a small part of it. I think they had high hopes for a few of the early candidates and since those didn't work out now they are going to leave no stone unturned.

    It is just my opinion that Cohen is very much still alive and I think he has one of the best allies he can have in this process in Rex.

    As for Popp, was he asked a question or did he release a statement. If he was asked a question then I believe he gave the only answer he could give.

  15. #295
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,469
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Exactly the longer this drags out, the less likely Cohen is named the GM. At this point I feel there is a minimal chance he gets the job.
    At the PC, Woody specifically said "Mike was a very hard worker here and very diligent, but I felt we had to go in a different direction to improve this team and get us to where we want to be."

    Hiring Cohen would be utterly at odds with "a different direction," unless Cohen can make the case that he was against Tanny's philosophy and moves.

  16. #296
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    At the PC, Woody specifically said "Mike was a very hard worker here and very diligent, but I felt we had to go in a different direction to improve this team and get us to where we want to be."

    Hiring Cohen would be utterly at odds with "a different direction," unless Cohen can make the case that he was against Tanny's philosophy and moves.
    That could also be interpreted as owner speak. Could also be that he was simply saying, "we felt we needed to put a fresh pair of eyes in the position". Maybe he meant philosophy, maybe he meant giving someone else a shot. Don't know, DOOOOOOOOOOOOOON'T CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE.

  17. #297
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    772
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it was going to be Cohen it would have occurred a few days ago that is my personal opinion on it. Woody is not as stupid as many individuals make him out to be. He knows damn well that hiring Cohen is an impossible sell to the fan base.

  18. #298
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Jets have lost seven coaches (OC, DC, ST, QB, LB, OLB, Asst DB) through firings, defections or retirement in the past 11 days. #nyj

  19. #299
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Jets have lost seven coaches (OC, DC, ST, QB, LB, OLB, Asst DB) through firings, defections or retirement in the past 11 days. #nyj

  20. #300
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Misleading; a cat would never willing go into the water.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us