Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 1.11.13 - Tweets, News & Updates

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I'd also guess the CFL teams/scouts have working relationships / contacts within the NFL circles...It's only sensible..They pick up the phone and call Bradway or whomever and ask about a guy the Jets had in camp and vice versa..

That's just a real basic example..
    Exactly, that is how guys like Marriucci and Accorsi know about a guy like Popp.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    I hope that is it. Taking a little time to do things the right way is always good. The bright side of the equation are that 1: Jed Hughes did things similarly in the Seattle GM hunt, and look at the team they've assembled, 2: Popp is an exciting outside-the-box candidate who supposedly made it really difficult for Carolina not to hire him, which ties back into your point about taking the time to do it right. Some of these capologist guys and I'm just saying that to paraphrase the situation, I'm sure have their own attributes. Is Omar Khan going to raid the Pittsburgh scouting dept a la Parcells? Highly doubt it, but you never know. I just hope we don't go with a cap first guy to clean up the Tannenbaum mess. Anyway, not to digress, it's good to get a mosaic and we'll see what happens.
    Completely agree..And Khan seems to be the only guy, that we know of, that fits that criteria of those interviewed...Idzik, when you look at his bio, has personnel/scouting/coaching experience..

And I agree about Jed Hughes..I've been impressed on how things have been conducted...The media's spin of the "jets scrambling" is BS..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think people are just making too much of him being in the CFL. It's being seen as this whole, "Well, he's not in the NFL right now and the NFL is the best so obviously the worst guy in the NFL is going to be better than this guy HERP DERP DUR" sort of thing. I mean, he was second-runner up for the Colts job in 2012, so NFL guys OBVIOUSLY think he can get the job done.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    CFL scouts and personnel guys do not just go to west tuscaloosa state to scout for players. They are at the combine, the senior bowl all the places other scouts are (pro days). They also have extensive contacts with college teams much like an NFL org would.

They may only get the 2nd or third tier guys to come to the CFL but it doesn't mean they are not scouting and evaluating almost every one.

In any case I am with you for the other prospects. I really do not want a recycled unsuccessful gm of the ilk of Angelo.
    Don't forget they also stay on top of every NFL team to see who they release. They do just as much college and pro player research as the NFL does.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Exactly, that is how guys like Marriucci and Accorsi know about a guy like Popp.
    I have to say..I'll be OK with Gaine or Idzik if they are the choice, but I really want Popp...And it's not even close...JMO

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Give me any of Popp, Khan, Idzik, and Gaine from this new group and I will be very ecstatic.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Don't forget they also stay on top of every NFL team to see who they release. They do just as much college and pro player research as the NFL does.
    I guess, and maybe it's just being naive, but I would think that a CFL GM is scouting and targeting a different sort of player at the combines than an NFL GM. That being said, if he has an eye for talent, he has an eye for talent.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Completely agree..And Khan seems to be the only guy, that we know of, that fits that criteria of those interviewed...Idzik, when you look at his bio, has personnel/scouting/coaching experience..

And I agree about Jed Hughes..I've been impressed on how things have been conducted...The media's spin of the "jets scrambling" is BS..
    I think the media and a lot of people around here thought the GM search and hiring process was going to be a short one. People assumed it was Gamble or Caldwell and the Jets would be done. When it didnt work that way people starting freaking out and went nuts. I am not surprised it has gone on longer. Search firms rarely give you two guys and say pick one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    See this bothers me.

The media is specifically reporting that GM candidates are turning the Jets down because of the salary cap

If the reason was Rex, the media would have gone with that because that is the spicier reason.

But they specifically have said the cap situation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Mike Westhoff making the rounds today. On w/Joe Rose in SFla this morning. Will be on WFAN at 2pm followed by @DailyNewsLive on @SNYtv at 5

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    I guess, and maybe it's just being naive, but I would think that a CFL GM is scouting and targeting a different sort of player at the combines than an NFL GM. That being said, if he has an eye for talent, he has an eye for talent.
    Exactly.

In a way you could say their job is tougher than an NFL scout's job. They're scouting the second and third tiers for hidden gems.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I think the media and a lot of people around here thought the GM search and hiring process was going to be a short one. People assumed it was Gamble or Caldwell and the Jets would be done. When it didnt work that way people starting freaking out and went nuts. I am not surprised it has gone on longer. Search firms rarely give you two guys and say pick one.
    The media are a bunch of effin morons. Picture yourself as Woody. You own one of the most valuable ($$$) franchises in sports. You pay a headhunting firm 250k to conduct a thorough interview process. Did they expect two interviews and a decision?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I am glad they're taking their time. Rex is staying, so there isn't as much of a rush to hire somebody. I want them to get this hire right. You're not as likely to do that if you're rushing to judgement.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say..I'll be OK with Gaine or Idzik if they are the choice, but I really want Popp...And it's not even close...JMO
    The more I hear about Popp, the more I believe he would be a good GM for the Jets.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly anything but Cohen or Angelo for myself.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    UTKevinAcee ‏@UTKevinAcee
    RT @AlbertBreer: Seahawks DC Gus Bradley interviewed for Chargers HC job last night, per source. >So Lovie 2nd, Whisenhunt 3rd, Arians 4th.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    With Bob Sutton taking over as Chiefs new d-coordinator, Jets defensive staff has a shortage of experienced coaches. Rex needs veteran guys

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    With Bob Sutton taking over as Chiefs new d-coordinator, Jets defensive staff has a shortage of experienced coaches. Rex needs veteran guys

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Since they only use 3 downs, it's even MORE important, too. Would be interesting to see how he would do here.
    You may be on to something here......only 3 downs, means 12-13 less plays/game for Sanchez turnovers. It might just work, after all.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    You may be on to something here......only 3 downs, means 12-13 less plays/game for Sanchez turnovers. It might just work, after all.
    lol, clever.