Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 1.11.13 - Tweets, News & Updates

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    yes...the debacle of the season was all westhoff's fault. Sometimes the truth hurts and needs to be said instead of the BS we hear from the HC every presser
    Yes, that is exactly what i said. I blamed westhoff for our crappy running game, sanchez sucking, global warming and the kardashians.

Readhing comprehension...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mood swing city is back.

Nothing Westoff said today is surprising to us because we all thought of it. Except that "middle field" thing which I still don't get what he meant.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree that folks should listen to the interview. It's the most illuminating look inside the LR we've had all year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Mood swing city is back.

Nothing Westoof said today is surprising to us because we all thought of it. Except that "middle field" thing which I still don't get what he meant.
    means that even when the jets pinned a team back near it's own 20, the jets defense couldn't force a punt there, but rather, they'd allow the other team to get to the 'middle of the field', so even if a drive stalled then, they'd punt and pin the jets back, rather than the jets getting the ball in better field position by forcing a punt deep in opponent's territory.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Yes, that is exactly what i said. I blamed westhoff for our crappy running game, sanchez sucking, global warming and the kardashians.

Readhing comprehension...
    Yeah..funny you don't mention the rest of what I wrote

Readhing comprehension

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Westhoff was 100% correct in his assessment of the Jets. He said many of things posters here have been saying for years and he had a hands on feel what was going on in Florham Park.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    Seahawks VP of fb admin John Idzik interviews with the Jets this afternoon.

Highlighted him in my future GMs piece http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000105903/article/future-gms-must-be-consensusbuilding-leaders-week-14-notes …

I spent the majority of the first 40 days of this calendar year with the New York Giants, covering much of their run to a fourth Lombardi Trophy. When you're around a team that way, you pick up on things.

Here's one: Everyone working for the Maras' proud franchise seemed to be happy to be there.

This includes the coaches, led by Tom Coughlin, who fell hard for the franchise in the late 1980s as a Bill Parcells assistant and returned a decade-and-a-half later. It includes the players, guided by Eli Manning, whose family helped orchestrate his draft-day trade there in 2004. And it includes the front office, captained by general manager Jerry Reese, a grinder who was weaned on the team's ways as a young scout and rose steadily to the top of the flow chart.

So this is where I'll start my fourth annual "Future GMs" column, by looking at what teams are seeking. The Carolina Panthers' job is open, and the Cleveland Browns' is expected to be. Three other teams, I'm told, have launched the preliminary stages of a search, even with their current GM still in place. There could be plenty of openings.

With solid early returns on young GMs like Thomas Dimitroff (Atlanta Falcons), John Schneider (Seattle Seahawks), Ryan Grigson (Indianapolis Colts), Rick Smith (Houston Texans, Trent Baalke (San Francisco 49ers), and Les Snead (St. Louis Rams), a pattern has become clear and a mold has been cast for owners: Find the consensus-builder, the unifier, the personality manager. That gives you the best chance to build what Reese and the Giants have, which is a healthy work environment for everyone.

"You have to be able to manage people, to trust people, and to trust the relationships you've built," said one NFC GM. "If you make everyone feel like they have a legitimate voice, you've got the best shot to make it work. If you start locking people out of the room, you make it difficult for them to buy in."

There are trends to follow. The importance of the draft -- accentuated now by controlled salaries at the top of the board and the continued failures of "free-agent splash" clubs -- means college scouting matters. But so does pro scouting, which is where ascendant personnel men learn roster management and receive "in the office" experience. And the business side is always vital. However, in the end, the one thing recent history teaches us is that leadership is as essential as any of the other clubs a candidate has in his bag.

"It's all about the team," said an AFC GM. "If you have a guy who's an a-hole, who won't hand anyone the keys, you're not gonna have the true concept of what team is in your building. ... If you're gonna come in and be a Neanderthal, what good is that gonna do? You wanna bring a place together. You want everyone to feel involved. If everyone's a part of it, everyone does their job at a higher level."

So, after hitting up a host of trusted voices -- and with the knowledge that guys like former 49ers GM Scot McCloughan and current Browns GM Tom Heckert (should he get the boot in Cleveland) might get second at-bats -- I've compiled my list of future GMs for 2013:

Nick Caserio, New England Patriots director of player personnel: New England has done a great job restocking through the draft since 2010. Caserio is due for his shot. Those close to him say he's fantastic. Two questions linger: First, would he leave? And second, would his hyper-intense nature lend itself to leading a department?

David Caldwell, Atlanta Falcons director of player personnel: Considered a young riser, his association with Dimitroff and Snead will help his cause. Caldwell came up on the college side as a trusted aide to Bill Polian and was Dimitroff's hand-picked college director before he moved up to replace Snead.

Eric DeCosta, Baltimore Ravens assistant GM:
    The first choice of everyone for the past five years. Last year, he had his deal reworked and is basically treated as a GM before he's become one. It'd take a team president-type offer to pry him from Baltimore, where he's set to succeed Ozzie Newsome.

Brian Gaine, Miami Dolphins assistant GM:
    Miami's been up and down, but one rival GM told me Gaine "really knows what he's doing. And I think he's ready." Gaine has a diverse and varied background and is considered the kind of people person who can be a unifying force.

Tom Gamble, San Francisco 49ers director of player personnel:
    A name on the cusp, Gamble has pro and college scouting background, as well as coaching experience. He interviewed in St. Louis last year; that the Niners have sustained last season's success only helps his cause.

Dennis Hickey, Tampa Bay Buccaneers director of player personnel:
    The Buccaneers' rebirth should springboard Hickey into the mix for openings. He's run the draft the past six years for Bruce Allen and Mark Dominik in Tampa, and he came up under Tony Dungy and Jon Gruden. Another grinder of a scout.

John Idzik, Seattle Seahawks vice president of football administration:
    Idzik is a sleeper to keep an eye on, because of his versatility. He's a business-side guy who runs the team's cap, but he also does some college scouting for Schneider and has a wealth of experience with franchise rebuilds, going back to Dungy's Bucs.

George Paton, Minnesota Vikings assistant GM:
    Deep in the running for the Rams job last year, Paton has helped oversee Minnesota's draft-centered rebuild. He is considered to have the kind of personality that can mesh with an A-list head coach.

Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals vice president of player personnel:
    A big personality who made his bones as an on-the-road scout, he's been knocking on the door for some time. Some believe Cards GM Rod Graves will eventually move into an upper executive role, paving the way for Keim to replace him.

Omar Khan, Pittsburgh Steelers director of football and business administration:
    Long seen as Bill Cowher's GM, Khan might now be less inclined to wait on a coach who might never come back. A really good leader who knows the business, Khan might need to be paired with a strong personnel guy, but he can do the job.

Jason Licht, Arizona Cardinals director of player personnel:
    Licht has a wealth of experience in good organizations, having worked under Andy Reid with the Philadelphia Eagles and served two stints under Bill Belichick in New England. Seen as a capable manager of people, he was a finalist for the GM position with the Chicago Bears last year.

Jimmy Raye, San Diego Chargers director of player personnel:
    He used to top these kinds of lists, but as San Diego has cooled off, so has his stock. Still, Raye's name came up repeatedly, because of his college scouting acumen and NFL experience and bloodlines. The Spanos family likes him; he could replace current Chargers GM A.J. Smith.

Marc Ross, New York Giants director of college scouting:
    A finalist in Chicago last year, Ross is in the running for the Panthers job now. The book on Ross: He's a good communicator and evaluator with, as one Giants official put it, "an executive skill set." One question that came up in my research: Can he win the interview with the owner?

Tom Telesco, Indianapolis Colts vice president of football operations:
    A promotion kept him in Indy last year, but the Colts will have a hard time hanging on to him this time around. He's been essential in a transitional phase, and is seen as an outstanding, detail-oriented evaluator who can lead and listen.

Also getting a mention:
    Kevin Abrams, Giants assistant GM; Chris Ballard, Bears director of pro scouting; Lake Dawson, Tennessee Titans vice president of player personnel; John Dorsey, Green Bay Packers director of football operations; Ray Farmer, Kansas City Chiefs director of pro personnel; Mike Maccagnan, Houston Texans college scouting director; Ryan Pace, New Orleans Saints director of pro personnel; Tag Ribary, Seahawks director of pro personnel; Louis Riddick, Eagles director of pro personnel; Matt Russell, Broncos director of player personnel; Doug Whaley, Buffalo Bills assistant GM.
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-11-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    I think Westhoff was 100% correct in his assessment from the Jets. He said many of things posters here have been saying for years and he had a hands on feel what was going on in Florham Park.
    too bad woody didnt exit interview him...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mood swing city is back.

Nothing Westoof said today is surprising to us because we all thought of it. Except that "middle field" thing which I still don't get what he meant.
    Basically he saying the special teams would setup great field position holding teams inside the 20. And the defense would let offense's make plays to switch the field position again allowing them to get the 50 yard or better.

He is right but alot of that was on our slowness linebackers ..

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    Seahawks VP of fb admin John Idzik interviews with the Jets this afternoon. Highlighted him in my future GMs piece http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000105903/article/future-gms-must-be-consensusbuilding-leaders-week-14-notes
    I really like Idzik, I would be very happy if he got the job.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    means that even when the jets pinned a team back near it's own 20, the jets defense couldn't force a punt there, but rather, they'd allow the other team to get to the 'middle of the field', so even if a drive stalled then, they'd punt and pin the jets back, rather than the jets getting the ball in better field position by forcing a punt deep in opponent's territory.
    Okay. That doesn't bother me. As long as they don't let the team get into the endzone after pinning them deep. Field position is going the way of hard nose tackling in the NFL. With all these high powered offenses (ours not in that group), field position means less and less.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    I really like Idzik, I would be very happy if he got the job.
    The guys I like best out of the candidates mentioned are Gaine, Popp and Idzik.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The guys I like best out of the candidates mentioned are Gaine, Popp and Idzik.
    My rankings from yesterday had Idzik #4 but I'm switching him to #3, because I can..

1. Popp
    2. Gaine
    3. Idzik
    4. Ross
    5. Gamble
    6. Khan

Angelo is alot like Bradway..A better scout than GM

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You are clueless. Still difficult to do so in traffic.
    It may be difficult,but if its your job, you practice it day in day out until you can catch it with your eyes closed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay. That doesn't bother me. As long as they don't let the team get into the endzone after pinning them deep. Field position is going the way of hard nose tackling in the NFL. With all these high powered offenses (ours not in that group), field position means less and less.
    I'll just disagree...Field position is huge in games (along w/turnovers and penalties)...Changes your play calling both offensively and defensively..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think if you look closely at what Westy is really saying, it's a major shot at Rex. One of the most respected coaches in the NFL for years just painted a picture of a team in disaray. It's sad.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    And this, right here, is the problem.

A "franchise" QB who can't handle the burden of being the "franchize" QB.

Sanchez was epically bad these last two years. No more chances.
    Not necessarily what he's saying. He's saying the offense needed to be built around Sanchez and to his strengths not vice versa. Sure this doesn't make him an elite QB like P Manning or Brady , but puts him in the category with many other winning starting QB's in the league.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    I think if you look closely at what Westy is really saying, it's a major shot at Rex. One of the most respected coaches in the NFL for years just painted a picture of a team in disaray. It's sad.
    Exactly!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Following up from this morning: I was told Jets assistant Bob Sutton interviewed with Chiefs for DC job yesterday. Hearing he'll be hired

So Dunbar and Thurman are the only remaining primary D coaches (excluding QC guys)..On the O side--Lai, Lynn, Devlin and Dugs remain (for now) remain

Gone:
    Pettine
    Sutton
    O'Neil (DBs/Safeties)
    Mike Smith (OLBs)

Sparano
    Cavanaugh
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-11-2013 at 11:11 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like sutton is gone