Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 333

Thread: 1.11.13 - Tweets, News & Updates

  1. #101
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,207
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    We don't know...Maybe the Jets rejected them...DeCosta said right after the season he wasn't listening to ANY GM requests..

    I don't even recall hearing of Gettleman being on the Jets list or any other team's list but Carolina's..

    And I still think Popp would be a great hire..Gaine isn't a cap guy and he's been labeled "up and coming" or something to that affect and would have no problem if he is the choice, as well as Idzik, who seems to be pretty well rounded, cap as well as coaching / scouting experience.

    And the "Canadian GM" has been a successful, roster building winning GM for over 10 yrs..JMO but those skills translate to the CFL or NFL...
    I'd rather have Gaine or Idzik, but Popp could be a very interesting choice. I'm just concerned about the adjust period from CFL to NFL. These other guys have at least been scouting and have knowledge of NFL players and other NFL teams.. does Popp? How much would he have to rely on his scouting dept this off season?

  2. #102
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Madison, NJ
    Posts
    2,192
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    We don't know...Maybe the Jets rejected them...DeCosta said right after the season he wasn't listening to ANY GM requests..

    I don't even recall hearing of Gettleman being on the Jets list or any other team's list but Carolina's..

    And I still think Popp would be a great hire..Gaine isn't a cap guy and he's been labeled "up and coming" or something to that affect and I would have no problem if he is the choice, as well as Idzik, who seems to be pretty well rounded, cap as well as coaching / scouting experience.

    And the "Canadian GM" has been a successful, roster building winning GM for over 10 yrs..JMO but those skills translate to the CFL or NFL...
    I'm not disagreeing with you on any of that. But for whatever the real reason may be, we're just not generating the interest that a top tier NY team should generate. It's pretty frustrating.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    I'd rather have Gaine or Idzik, but Popp could be a very interesting choice. I'm just concerned about the adjust period from CFL to NFL. These other guys have at least been scouting and have knowledge of NFL players and other NFL teams.. does Popp? How much would he have to rely on his scouting dept this off season?
    JMO..If he's good at "spotting talent" in the CFL I don't think he'd have a problem watching film for a month (Feb) and getting up to speed with NFL players, if he already isn't...

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    I mean from a football standpoint I think it's a great move.. Rob's a good Coach.

    From a media Standpoint it would just be crazy .
    As was said in the Harry Potter series...if "He who shall not be named" wasn't head coach, you may be right.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you on any of that. But for whatever the real reason may be, we're just not generating the interest that a top tier NY team should generate. It's pretty frustrating.
    Possibly..But I think they (Woody/Glatt/Jets) are just taking their time on this and want to get the best possible candidate...

    I'd rather they do this then only interview 2 guys (1 being internal) like Rex did for OC...They could still hire a Gamble or Ross..I'm sure they know if another team is hot for Gamble and/or Ross and if they are in competition for them..Similar to Caldwell..

    And I think I recall reading someone stating Woody wants to overhaul the whole FO...So interview as many candidates as possible to get various views, ideas and make an informed decision..

    I'm guessing this will be all wrapped up and the new GM named within the next week...Plenty of time to get the FO in order to his liking in time for the combine which isn't until late Feb...
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-11-2013 at 11:59 AM.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    JMO..If he's good at "spotting talent" in the CFL I don't think he'd have a problem watching film for a month (Feb) and getting up to speed with NFL players, if he already isn't...
    Agreed.

    Especially since the NFL is starting to become a lot like the CFL. High powreed offenses throwing the ball all over the place.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Agreed.

    Especially since the NFL is starting to become a lot like the CFL. High powreed offenses throwing the ball all over the place.
    Lets not forget the CFL scout all the US colleges too since alot of those players that don't make it here end up in Canada...

  8. #108
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Rob Ryan to Jets is not a slam dunk. Told that Rob wants DC job. If it doesn't happen, then it's possible he could join Rex in some capacity

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Rob Ryan to Jets is not a slam dunk. Told that Rob wants DC job. If it doesn't happen, then it's possible he could join Rex in some capacity
    I am fine with that since Thurman should be the DC. I have no issue with Rob being some assistant.

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Agreed.

    Especially since the NFL is starting to become a lot like the CFL. High powreed offenses throwing the ball all over the place.
    Since they only use 3 downs, it's even MORE important, too. Would be interesting to see how he would do here.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    I'd rather have Gaine or Idzik, but Popp could be a very interesting choice. I'm just concerned about the adjust period from CFL to NFL. These other guys have at least been scouting and have knowledge of NFL players and other NFL teams.. does Popp? How much would he have to rely on his scouting dept this off season?
    CFL scouts and personnel guys do not just go to west tuscaloosa state to scout for players. They are at the combine, the senior bowl all the places other scouts are (pro days). They also have extensive contacts with college teams much like an NFL org would.

    They may only get the 2nd or third tier guys to come to the CFL but it doesn't mean they are not scouting and evaluating almost every one.

    In any case I am with you for the other prospects. I really do not want a recycled unsuccessful gm of the ilk of Angelo.

  12. #112
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Madison, NJ
    Posts
    2,192
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Possibly..But I think they (Woody/Glatt/Jets) are just taking their time on this and want to get the best possible candidate...

    I'd rather they do this then only interview 2 guys (1 being internal) like Rex did for OC...They could still hire a Gamble or Ross..

    And I think I recall reading someone stating Woody wants to overall the whole FO...So interview as many candidates as possible to get various views, ideas and make an informed decision..

    I'm guessing this will be all wrapped up and the new GM named within the next week...Plenty of time to get the FO in order to his liking in time for the combine which isn't until late Feb...
    I hope that is it. Taking a little time to do things the right way is always good. The bright side of the equation are that 1: Jed Hughes did things similarly in the Seattle GM hunt, and look at the team they've assembled, 2: Popp is an exciting outside-the-box candidate who supposedly made it really difficult for Carolina not to hire him, which ties back into your point about taking the time to do it right. Some of these capologist guys and I'm just saying that to paraphrase the situation, I'm sure have their own attributes. Is Omar Khan going to raid the Pittsburgh scouting dept a la Parcells? Highly doubt it, but you never know. I just hope we don't go with a cap first guy to clean up the Tannenbaum mess. Anyway, not to digress, it's good to get a mosaic and we'll see what happens.

  13. #113
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,218
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Really?? Have you ever fielded a punt in traffic with 11 guys wanting to break you in half?
    Especially when you weigh a buck 2 eighty.

  14. #114
    I hope Dunbar doesn't get recruitted by Pettine to Buffalo. THAT would s**k.Wilkerson and Coples really started playing well.

  15. #115
    Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
    Ex-#Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt will interview with #Chargers on Saturday, source confirmed. A day after Lovie Smith interviews today.

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    I hope Dunbar doesn't get recruitted by Pettine to Buffalo. THAT would s**k.Wilkerson and Coples really started playing well.
    Unless his contract has expired (doubt since he was just signed last season) he can't leave w/o Jets permission

  17. #117
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Okay. That doesn't bother me. As long as they don't let the team get into the endzone after pinning them deep. Field position is going the way of hard nose tackling in the NFL. With all these high powered offenses (ours not in that group), field position means less and less.
    Kindly point to one independant NFL observer who holds this INSANE position.

    Guess what if you give a High Powered offense a shorter field they are more likely to score not less!!!

  18. #118
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Mike Westhoff making the rounds today. On w/Joe Rose in SFla this morning. Will be on WFAN at 2pm followed by @DailyNewsLive on @SNYtv at 5

  19. #119
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,307
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Not necessarily what he's saying. He's saying the offense needed to be built around Sanchez and to his strengths not vice versa. Sure this doesn't make him an elite QB like P Manning or Brady , but puts him in the category with many other winning starting QB's in the league.
    You are of course 100% correct but then again you actually LISTENED to the interview!!!!

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    CFL scouts and personnel guys do not just go to west tuscaloosa state to scout for players. They are at the combine, the senior bowl all the places other scouts are (pro days). They also have extensive contacts with college teams much like an NFL org would.

    They may only get the 2nd or third tier guys to come to the CFL but it doesn't mean they are not scouting and evaluating almost every one.

    In any case I am with you for the other prospects. I really do not want a recycled unsuccessful gm of the ilk of Angelo.
    I'd also guess the CFL teams/scouts have working relationships / contacts within the NFL circles...It's only sensible..They pick up the phone and call Bradway or whomever and ask about a guy the Jets had in camp and vice versa..

    That's just a real basic example..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us