Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should jets move Wilson to FS?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilson's a great tackler ... gets lots of practice with opposing receivers ALWAYS catching the ball when he's covering them.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Spin it any way you'd like. I'd have no issue with Wilson if he was a third or fourth round pick, but to say he's justified a first round selection reeks of kool aid.
    I didn't follow that draft class much so do you believe he was a reach at that time or by his performance up to this point?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    lel, this argument again.

Wilson is a bust as a first-round pick, end of story.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    I remember another poster suggested this a while back... With revis and cro would the best value be moving Wilson to FS instead of the nickle back? I like Landry at SS better anyway. Berry or lankster should be enough depth at CB
    A little on the small side, no?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    A man on corner can be as dumb as rocks as long as he has the athletic ability to mirror.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    lel, this argument again.

Wilson is a bust as a first-round pick, end of story.
    You are so incorrect its insane.

You know who are first round busts....brandon merriweather, gholston, derrick harvey, heyward-bey, maybin.

If we cut wilson, he would be signed in a day, and starting on prob 25 teams in the NFL.

Is he a pro-bowler, nope, but only on JI do people think that every pick that doesnt make all-pro is a bust.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Wilson's a great tackler ... gets lots of practice with opposing receivers ALWAYS catching the ball when he's covering them.
    Careful! Wouldn't want to upset his apologists. He's an excellent corner, completely worthy of praise. He does nothing wrong. Ever.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

You know who are first round busts....brandon merriweather, gholston, derrick harvey, heyward-bey, maybin.

If we cut wilson, he would be signed in a day, and starting on prob 25 teams in the NFL.

Is he a pro-bowler, nope, but only on JI do people think that every pick that doesnt make all-pro is a bust.
    Amen

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I think if Wilson was a 4th round draft pick, people would be more than happy with him. The problem is that he was a 1st round pick and therefore expectations are higher. Revis and Cromartie were also 1st round picks. I dont know how many secondaries have 3 first round picks as their top 3 corners. Add Landry and you have a secondary full of first round picks.
    He was hightly touted as one of the best CBs that was NFL ready. He had 4.43 speed and had tons of pick in college; however, in the NFL he looses several steps when juked by a wr. He always seems behind the 8 ball and doesn't turn his head because he is trying to catchup. He makes some plays because he does have good speed but he is a slow learner IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

Why are you grouping Merriweather in there. He is still a starting safety. those other guys are out of the league. And Merriweather made the probowl twice.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Careful! Wouldn't want to upset his apologists. He's an excellent corner, completely worthy of praise. He does nothing wrong. Ever.
    But that's not the point, is it?

Arguing perfection and justification - it's like an how-many-angels-fit-on-the-head-of-a-pin argument. Quite a serious kerfuffle a few centuries back, before the internet! But in football terms Wilson has been okay and done it cheaply. He may not 'justify' his draft pick but he certainly justifies his role on the team and salary.

And no one has to make apologies for that. If we have an extra Million to spend on the OLB everyone wants or whatever - Wilson's value is a piece of the reason we'll have it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    No one is saying he's all world. But you also shouldn't be saying he's a first round bust, because the simple truth is- he's not a bust. He is a slightly above average corner and he would be picked up by quite a few teams.
    For all the howling Wilson draws whenever he allows a completion, the truth is that he's been pretty good this season pressed into a starting role by Revis' injury. Among corners who have played in half their team's snaps, Kyle is top 30 in receptions allowed, yards allowed, snaps per reception allowed, and snaps per yard. If you judge him against Revis and Cromartie, he won't look great. Judge him against the rest of the league, and you'll see a slightly above average starter.
    Just because you don't like some of his antics (for the record I hate the finger waving just like tones first down move) doesn't mean he completely sucks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

You said he was a bust

he was drafted at the bottom of the first round.Compare his numbers with yhe numbers of teams #1 corner. I did he stacks up very well against some of the players i had a chance to check out.Champ bailey,Jonathan joseph, Leon hall.By anybody's standards he's far from a bust

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    He was hightly touted as one of the best CBs that was NFL ready. He had 4.43 speed and had tons of pick in college; however, in the NFL he looses several steps when juked by a wr. He always seems behind the 8 ball and doesn't turn his head because he is trying to catchup. He makes some plays because he does have good speed but he is a slow learner IMO.
    Totally agree. Seeing this guy in college - he looked like a different player. Looked like a type of Revis practically. I thought he'd be a lot better in the NFL.

Anyway - I'd be very skeptical about his ability to play safety.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I think the biggest knock on Wilson is that he still has trouble turning around and locating the ball. He was like that as a rookie, and is still like that today.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilson's not very good. But I'm ok with him starting if it means some of the money over-invested into CB to facilitate Rex's defensive system is put into the offense or the acquisition of a 10+ sacks a year D-lineman who is decent against the run.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to NFL.com

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Wilson's not very good. But I'm ok with him starting if it means some of the money over-invested into CB to facilitate Rex's defensive system is put into the offense or the acquisition of a 10+ sacks a year D-lineman who is decent against the run.
    Go there,compare Wilson's Stats against the other #2 corners in the AFC, and then tell me he's no good.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flymax View Post
    He's spent his whole career as a CB. Why do you think he'd make a good Safety?
    Dwight Lowery?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Wilson is an excellent tackler.

He's also a very good corner and the most underrated player on this team. Jet fans are spoiled with Cro and Revis and don't realize how terrible CB's across the NFL are. WR's are putting up huge numbers every week yet the Jets didn't allow a single 100 yard receiver all year... WITHOUT REVIS. Kyle Wilson, like EVERY CB not named Revis will get beat once or twice a game. He'd easily start on most NFL squads.
    I'll have what you're drinkin'.

Wilson was beat like a rented mule all year.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's a bust, but he's not what you would expect for a first rounder.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Why are you grouping Merriweather in there. He is still a starting safety. those other guys are out of the league. And Merriweather made the probowl twice.
    Sorry, i was going on the fact that he pats cut him, then the bears did, and he did zero this year.

Shocked he made a pro bowl.