Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should jets move Wilson to FS?

Other CBs taken in the 2010 Draft:
    1- Kareem Jackson- Texans- Started in houston rookie season and Houston defense was worst in the league. In 2011, Jackson was benched but eventually regained starting job. Is now starting on excellent defense.
    2 -Devin Mccourtey- Terrible CB. Had to be converted to Safety and Pats had to go out and Get Aqib Talib to plug hole.
    3 -Kyle Wilson- Jets- Team gave up 2nd FEWEST passing yards in the NFL.
    4- PAtrick Robinson- Saints- Team gave up 2nd most passing yards in the NFL
    5- Chris Cook- Vikings- Starting- Team gave up 9th most passing yards in the NFL

Of the top 5 CB's taken in the 2010 draft Wilson holds his own. None are pro bowlers (despite the fact that Mccourtey made the pro bowl despite sucking).

Veteran
    No worries on the safety when Gamble gets the gig. Goldson will come play for Rex.

Why the hell not?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Back to the topic at hand, I think it's a moot point.

I would guess the Jets will either move Cro or Revis this offseason, and will need Wilson to man the #2 CB spot. The team just has way too much cap space tied up at CB considering the shape the rest of the roster is in..

And, btw, to the OP's point about Landry, I don't think he's coming back anyway.

So is every player picked in the 1st round expected to be a Pro Bowler?

How about those picked at the end of the 1st round?

He's a bust because why?

You people make me laugh. I'm not sure how you survive in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Sorry, i was going on the fact that he pats cut him, then the bears did, and he did zero this year.

Shocked he made a pro bowl.
    I thought he left Chicago as a FA when he signed a 2 year contract with the skins. Revis didn't do anything with his torn acl this year why would merriweather? And he made the pro bowl twice in 4 years. I am surprised that you did not know having made it twice.

The pats cut him because he refused to play his assignment. he just likes to freelance, BB finally had enough and cut him. I hated the decision. BB is just obstinate like that, same thing with Darius Butler who is having a very good year with Indy this year.
    Last edited by patman; 01-11-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Other CBs taken in the 2010 Draft:
    1- Kareem Jackson- Texans- Started in houston rookie season and Houston defense was worst in the league. In 2011, Jackson was benched but eventually regained starting job. Is now starting on excellent defense.
    2 -Devin Mccourtey- Terrible CB. Had to be converted to Safety and Pats had to go out and Get Aqib Talib to plug hole.
    3 -Kyle Wilson- Jets- Team gave up 2nd FEWEST passing yards in the NFL.
    4- PAtrick Robinson- Saints- Team gave up 2nd most passing yards in the NFL
    5- Chris Cook- Vikings- Starting- Team gave up 9th most passing yards in the NFL

Of the top 5 CB's taken in the 2010 draft Wilson holds his own. None are pro bowlers (despite the fact that Mccourtey made the pro bowl despite sucking).
    What difference does it make if the guy starts at safety or corner. Players are drafted at LB and switch all the time and so do Dbacks. Tackles are converted to guards. Does that make them a bust? They still are starting. And McCourty had a very good year at corner the year he made the pro bowl. And please the jets gave up the least yards as teams good field position and could run on them all day.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I thought he left Chicago as a FA when he signed a 2 year contract with the skins. Revis didn't do anything with his torn acl this year why would merriweather? And he made the pro bowl twice in 4 years. I am surprised that you did not know having made it twice.

The pats cut him because he refused to play his assignment. he just likes to freelance, BB finally had enough and cut him. I hated the decision. BB is just obstinate like that, same thing with Darius Butler who is having a very good year with Indy this year.
    If a player is that good, they dont usually get waived outright from a team that has a terrible scondary.

I dont follow pro-bowl nods very often because in many cases they are not accurate representations of a players skill level.

The Pro-Wilson argument is laughable. He gets beat on every single play. Terrible CB. I could see him being a decent FS though becuase he is a decent tackler and was better at zone/slot coverage.

This is a horrible idea... On every level.

Wilson's two weaknesses are tackling and dealing with the ball in the. Both of which are the most important aspects of playing the safety position.

Hall Of Fame
    I would prefer to keep Landry and acquire a FS like Kerry Rhodes (pre-vagina).

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    I remember another poster suggested this a while back... With revis and cro would the best value be moving Wilson to FS instead of the nickle back? I like Landry at SS better anyway. Berry or lankster should be enough depth at CB

Actually think this is worth a go.he seems to be at his best with the play in front of him and he's a superb tackler.Draft a 5th or 6th round cb for development and let KW have a season at FS could work

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    If a player is that good, they dont usually get waived outright from a team that has a terrible scondary.

I dont follow pro-bowl nods very often because in many cases they are not accurate representations of a players skill level.
    I agree that the pro bowl voting can be a farce, but it does give you a pretty good idea that the guy is not a bust at least.

yeah, like I said I was very dissapointed that he was cut. But you cant have one guy even if he is talented doing his own thing while the rest of the team has to follow the line. While he may not be a bust due to talent, he still ended up being a bad pick, because he was not a fit for the team.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Golden Tate wins the jump ball

A little stiff arm here....

This here is pretty funny, starting about 30 seconds in....RUN KYLE RUN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TLv_iIv1Sg

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    He was hightly touted as one of the best CBs that was NFL ready. He had 4.43 speed and had tons of pick in college; however, in the NFL he looses several steps when juked by a wr. He always seems behind the 8 ball and doesn't turn his head because he is trying to catchup. He makes some plays because he does have good speed but he is a slow learner IMO.
    Which is exactly why he might be able to make the transition to safety.Either way he's a very good conerback who happens to be surrounded by a superb cb(Cro)and a borderline legend(Revis)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    But that's not the point, is it?

Arguing perfection and justification - it's like an how-many-angels-fit-on-the-head-of-a-pin argument. Quite a serious kerfuffle a few centuries back, before the internet! But in football terms Wilson has been okay and done it cheaply. He may not 'justify' his draft pick but he certainly justifies his role on the team and salary.

And no one has to make apologies for that. If we have an extra Million to spend on the OLB everyone wants or whatever - Wilson's value is a piece of the reason we'll have it.
    Ssshhh...you make far too much sense,people don't want to hear that on here,please refrain from further intelligent arguments

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Actually think this is worth a go.he seems to be at his best with the play in front of him and he's a superb tackler.Draft a 5th or 6th round cb for development and let KW have a season at FS could work
    Not that I dislike Wilson but wasn't he the main culprit on that Victor Cruz 99 yd TD? I do think he gets beat a lot but Crow did in the #2 slot also.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    I'll have what you're drinkin'.

Wilson was beat like a rented mule all year.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's a bust, but he's not what you would expect for a first rounder.
    Name 1 reciever that lit him up for 100 yards all year?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Hard to do when the opposing team constantly starts with a short field after a Sanchez turn over.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Only if you confirm the Jets played man to man all year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jackhuntr View Post
    Hard to do when the opposing team constantly starts with a short field after a Sanchez turn over.
    BS u guys remember Lito Shepard that was a bad CB.. Giving up big games to recievers on a weekly basis .. Last I check jets had one of the top secondaries in football and that's without revis and2 safeties who everyone claim couldn't cover and so called bust Wilson.