Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Question about the Jets power structure...

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,234
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question about the Jets power structure...

    If it's true that Rex has had the power for the last 4 years and Tanny was just a figure head, did Herman Edwards and Eric Mangini also have the majority of power?


    And if so, how did they get fired?

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    If it's true that Rex has had the power for the last 4 years and Tanny was just a figure head, did Herman Edwards and Eric Mangini also have the majority of power?


    And if so, how did they get fired?
    My perspective is that Tanny was the type of GM who would defer quite a bit to the coach... Mangini was good at evaluating players in the draft and that served us well. I think Rex is more Xs and Os and doesn't fight per say for a particular player as much as wanting to get team needs filled. This is where a GM like Tanny would fail Rex because he is not a good talent evaluator... Rex and Tanny together are a recipe for disaster. Bring in a GM with strong scouting background and it will help... The issue will be who will have final say over taking BPA type vs. being forced to fill an area that Rex insists we must draft a player for?

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    My assumptions:

    When Edwards was coach Terry Bradway was GM. Bradway is a personnel guy, my guess would be that Bradway made most personnel decisions.

    With Mangini & Ryan, Tannenbaum was GM. I assume both Mangini & Ryan had an increase say in personnel selection.

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    If it's true that Rex has had the power for the last 4 years and Tanny was just a figure head, did Herman Edwards and Eric Mangini also have the majority of power?


    And if so, how did they get fired?
    The GM runs the show and everybody reports to him. He has lots of assistants etc a Front Office etc. They have all kinds of meetings to discuss everything from FA , injuries, stradegies...whatever, performance appraisals etc

    These guys work tremendous hours and year round.

    The HC gives his input on personnel, draft selections etc. But he isn't running the show. He is in charge of the team, TC, OC,DC,ST game planning etc.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,823
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    My perspective is that Tanny was the type of GM who would defer quite a bit to the coach... Mangini was good at evaluating players in the draft and that served us well. I think Rex is more Xs and Os and doesn't fight per say for a particular player as much as wanting to get team needs filled. This is where a GM like Tanny would fail Rex because he is not a good talent evaluator... Rex and Tanny together are a recipe for disaster. Bring in a GM with strong scouting background and it will help... The issue will be who will have final say over taking BPA type vs. being forced to fill an area that Rex insists we must draft a player for?
    Truth. Neither of them are good at talent evaluation.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    4,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Truth. Neither of them are good at talent evaluation.
    =============================================

    Maybe, but less not forget Bradway and Clinkscales had/have a large roll in talent evaluation.

    My guess is Tanny, Rex, Bradway, and Clinkscales operated by committee and Tanny had the final say.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,642
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't Rex talk about how he always got to make 1 draft pick each year? I think tannenbaum ran the show.

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post
    Didn't Rex talk about how he always got to make 1 draft pick each year? I think tannenbaum ran the show.
    Rex picked one player with his gut with no research, no analysis etc
    His one pick was Sanchez.

  9. #9
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam, NL
    Posts
    128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    The GM runs the show and everybody reports to him. He has lots of assistants etc a Front Office etc. They have all kinds of meetings to discuss everything from FA , injuries, stradegies...whatever, performance appraisals etc

    These guys work tremendous hours and year round.

    The HC gives his input on personnel, draft selections etc. But he isn't running the show. He is in charge of the team, TC, OC,DC,ST game planning etc.
    Then why is Rex sitting in the interview for GM?

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Forked River, NJ
    Posts
    4,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    =============================================

    Maybe, but less not forget Bradway and Clinkscales had/have a large roll in talent evaluation.

    My guess is Tanny, Rex, Bradway, and Clinkscales operated by committee and Tanny had the final say.
    We could have the best talent evaluators in the NFL and never know it if Rex and Tanny weren't heeding their recommendations.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai-Mai-Shu View Post
    Then why is Rex sitting in the interview for GM?
    LOL

    My guess is that Rex knows more about football than Woody. On the football questions Rex has an evaluation but not complete say. When you interview for a multimillion dollar executive job it is more of a process. The guy spends some time with the HC. Maybe a few hours etc. He then goes to some Front Office guy, then back to Woodies consultants etc.

    The various parties give their weighted responses. Some type of algorithm is use to add up the scores of each candidate. Then Woodie turns to Res and says who would you pick. Woodie sees if it close to the candidate with the most points and says yay or nay.

    Anyway it is a process and Rex is only a piece of it.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,563
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    My perspective is that Tanny was the type of GM who would defer quite a bit to the coach... Mangini was good at evaluating players in the draft and that served us well. I think Rex is more Xs and Os and doesn't fight per say for a particular player as much as wanting to get team needs filled. This is where a GM like Tanny would fail Rex because he is not a good talent evaluator... Rex and Tanny together are a recipe for disaster. Bring in a GM with strong scouting background and it will help... The issue will be who will have final say over taking BPA type vs. being forced to fill an area that Rex insists we must draft a player for?
    this!!!!

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    4,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    We could have the best talent evaluators in the NFL and never know it if Rex and Tanny weren't heeding their recommendations.
    ============================================

    Exactly, regardless the traditional role of a GM in the NFL is to make the final choice, and thus I hold Tanny responsible for the good and bad picks during his reign. Not Rex, not Bradway, not Clink, or any one else.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are over simplifying a little. Tanny wasn't just a figure head. He was the GM. He oversaw the scouting dept as well as ran the cap and led contract negotiations. Those are huge responsibilities.

    I think you are referring to picking players, which is probably the most important thing. Tanny had a role but since his background was not based in personnel, he relied heavily on his staff of scouts and coaches to make personnel decisions. Probably more so than other GMs. Rex pretty much got every player he ever wanted in the draft and FA as long as we could afford them.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    =============================================

    Maybe, but less not forget Bradway and Clinkscales had/have a large roll in talent evaluation.

    My guess is Tanny, Rex, Bradway, and Clinkscales operated by committee and Tanny had the final say.
    I was thinking about this and the problem is that Tanny replaced Bradway... So if Rex and Bradway don't agree, I can't see Rex siding with Bradway, I figure he would appease the coach he choses as opposed to the GM he replaced... The dynamic of keeping Bradway around along with Tanny was fraught with peril from the start unless both are bigger men then i figure.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,823
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Rex picked one player with his gut with no research, no analysis etc
    His one pick was Sanchez.
    I have to disagree here. It may not have turned out the way they expected, but reading about the history of Rex and his staff looking for their QB, they really did their due diligence, including checking out available free agents. They decided to draft because of who was available and by all accounts Sanchez impressed and there were very high hopes for him. There was a lot of excitement and high hopes and I'm not surprised Rex got a tattoo.


    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — A team of Jets officials tried a misdirection play one night last month, sneaking Mark Sanchez in through a back door at the California hotel where the N.F.L. meetings were being held. They gave him an X’s and O’s quiz that he aced. Then they watched him throw the next day at his alma mater, Mission Viejo High School. The Jets were smitten.


    Jason Szenes for The New York Times
    Jets officials had little to do Saturday after the team traded its first- and second-round picks to Cleveland to move up to No. 5.
    “There had to be 20 receivers there that were volunteering,” Jets Coach Rex Ryan said. “That says something about this young man, the type of person he is. Guys were coming out of the woodwork to run routes for him. He’s got that kind of leadership. We saw the great feet. We saw the poise and how confident he was.”

    The trouble was, other teams were smitten with Sanchez, the redshirt junior quarterback from the University of Southern California who was ascending draft boards, and the Jets sat relatively low with the 17th pick. General Manager Mike Tannenbaum turned to an unlikely source — Eric Mangini, the coach he fired after last season — to make the deal that allowed him to select Sanchez.

    The Jets began talks Friday night, then pulled off a blockbuster five-for-one deal with Mangini’s Cleveland Browns on Saturday to land their latest quarterback of the future with the fifth overall pick. At his agent’s offices in Irvine, Calif., Sanchez broke into a smile, pumped his fist and pulled on a Jets cap.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,673
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Herm/Bradway was more of the normal power structure you see in the NFL. There were players that Herm was going to recommend, primarily in free agency, that Bradway would agree to sign. I think thats normal to get a few of "your guys" in over time. Herm clearly had input but the final say went to the GM.

    In Manginis case I think there was a committee structure. Mangini has say. Tannenbaum had say. Bradway had say. Clinkscales had say. And so on. I think there was alot of consensus building and I think Mangini probably made his points come across very well to help get the guys he most wanted.

    I think Rex began similar to Mangini. Consensus building and a tip of the hat to his guys (Bart Scott, Trevor Pryce, Jim Leonhard). As they got successful I think Rex got a louder voice in the room. In part its because I think he was the one guy that actually became loved by the owner. Woody saw the attention Rex brought, specifically via Hard Knocks and saw that as being a huge selling point for his team. So his power grew and guys began to capitulate to him because they knew he had Woodys ear. Thats more or less why Clinkscales left.

    Rex does have way more power than the other guys. I mean when was the last time you heard of a team that fired their GM, offensive coordinator, QB coach, and strength coach, and was more than happy to see their defensive coordinator and linebacker coach leave but at the same time maintain the head coach? Never. In a house cleaning like that the coach usually goes as well.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,129
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423 View Post
    I think Herm/Bradway was more of the normal power structure you see in the NFL. There were players that Herm was going to recommend, primarily in free agency, that Bradway would agree to sign. I think thats normal to get a few of "your guys" in over time. Herm clearly had input but the final say went to the GM.

    In Manginis case I think there was a committee structure. Mangini has say. Tannenbaum had say. Bradway had say. Clinkscales had say. And so on. I think there was alot of consensus building and I think Mangini probably made his points come across very well to help get the guys he most wanted.

    I think Rex began similar to Mangini. Consensus building and a tip of the hat to his guys (Bart Scott, Trevor Pryce, Jim Leonhard). As they got successful I think Rex got a louder voice in the room. In part its because I think he was the one guy that actually became loved by the owner. Woody saw the attention Rex brought, specifically via Hard Knocks and saw that as being a huge selling point for his team. So his power grew and guys began to capitulate to him because they knew he had Woodys ear. Thats more or less why Clinkscales left.

    Rex does have way more power than the other guys. I mean when was the last time you heard of a team that fired their GM, offensive coordinator, QB coach, and strength coach, and was more than happy to see their defensive coordinator and linebacker coach leave but at the same time maintain the head coach? Never. In a house cleaning like that the coach usually goes as well.
    Great to see you posting regularly again!

    But for christ sake please get an avatar so I can identify your posts easier.

  19. #19
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    940
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423 View Post
    I think Herm/Bradway was more of the normal power structure you see in the NFL. There were players that Herm was going to recommend, primarily in free agency, that Bradway would agree to sign. I think thats normal to get a few of "your guys" in over time. Herm clearly had input but the final say went to the GM.

    In Manginis case I think there was a committee structure. Mangini has say. Tannenbaum had say. Bradway had say. Clinkscales had say. And so on. I think there was alot of consensus building and I think Mangini probably made his points come across very well to help get the guys he most wanted.

    I think Rex began similar to Mangini. Consensus building and a tip of the hat to his guys (Bart Scott, Trevor Pryce, Jim Leonhard). As they got successful I think Rex got a louder voice in the room. In part its because I think he was the one guy that actually became loved by the owner. Woody saw the attention Rex brought, specifically via Hard Knocks and saw that as being a huge selling point for his team. So his power grew and guys began to capitulate to him because they knew he had Woodys ear. Thats more or less why Clinkscales left.

    Rex does have way more power than the other guys. I mean when was the last time you heard of a team that fired their GM, offensive coordinator, QB coach, and strength coach, and was more than happy to see their defensive coordinator and linebacker coach leave but at the same time maintain the head coach? Never. In a house cleaning like that the coach usually goes as well.
    Great post Jason, and I have a feeling a lot of what you said is true. I think this last press conference confirmed that Rex has had a lot of power in this organization, and he will continue to have that power. I do think Tanny was terrible and needed to go (just based on the lack of depth and poor contracts), but at the same time he was thrown under the bus by Rex. Woody probably wanted to keep Tanny but he knew he had to sell something for the fans going into 2013. Tanny or Rex? At least one had to go. Rex brings attention to the organization and back page material everyday which Woody loves most of all. And now Rex knows he has a spell cast on Woody that's going to be hard to break. It's going to be interesting to see how 2013 plays out. Lately, the Jets have been all about blaming others, leaks, scapegoats, etc.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,588
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    If it's true that Rex has had the power for the last 4 years and Tanny was just a figure head, did Herman Edwards and Eric Mangini also have the majority of power?


    And if so, how did they get fired?
    When a HC is brought on, the team as part of the interview process ask him what he needs to win. Rex said defensive players and a qb. They both agreed on Sanchez and Signed Scott and Leonard from the ravens. The next year they drafted Wilson. He made the playoffs two years in a row which gave him the cache with Woody to pretty much usurp power.

    GMs acquire talent but they need to take the HC needs into consideration. If Rex says that he needs X and Tanny sees it different and drafts Y, he better be right or he looks bad to the owner. It is a lot easier to tell the owner that everyone seen the need and the solution the same way.

    Just like the sales and marketing teams at work.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us