Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OC: Mornhinweg?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    HELL No! Torture.

All League
    Rex is going after Marty to get Vick on this team. I cannot even imagine how bad 2013 is going to be with Vick as QB.

The new GM won't be that stupid will he?

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    It seems that all of these OC's being discussed do not have consistent enough winning records, which to me shows one thing: Offensive scheme is certainly important, however it appears to be much more significant the players on the field executing said scheme.

We shouldnt expect a new OC to come in here and turn this sludgy offense into anything special until the personnel pieces are in place. I too am of the opinion that Sparano needed to go, but merely inserting a new OC isnt going to propel the Jets to the next level.

Especially without a NFL proven QB on the roster.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Eagles talent is over rated. Vick was trash. Jackson is done. Maclin sucks more then schil and they had the worst OL last year. But yeah I agree I want nothing to do with Wiggy. He is one of the biggest reasons that O turned from unstoppable to trash IMO. He is anther OC that doesn't adjust his O once the season starts.
    OK . How many times do you see a football team getting crushed and then they come back in the second half and beat the other team. They study the snapshots and come up with adjustments. That something that we need to get better at.

Another thing is throwing together a bunch of high profile player doesn't guarantee success. The team needs chemistry and Philly lost that in buckets.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Rex is going after Marty to get Vick on this team. I cannot even imagine how bad 2013 is going to be with Vick as QB.

So Vick will agree to take less than 15 million.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    One thing that would scare me is Mornhinwig was there as Vick proceded to do a Sanchez the last few years. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't we be looking for a guy that can develope a QB, whether it's Sanchez(hope not) or a draft pick?
    Shotty was supposed to be a QB friendly OC who was a QB coach with Drew Brees. When you let your RT wiff and take target practice on the QB the result is Sanchez and in Philly it is Vick.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post

we cannot afford vick even rex ryan isnt this dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    It seems that all of these OC's being discussed do not have consistent enough winning records, which to me shows one thing: Offensive scheme is certainly important, however it appears to be much more significant the players on the field executing said scheme.

We shouldnt expect a new OC to come in here and turn this sludgy offense into anything special until the personnel pieces are in place. I too am of the opinion that Sparano needed to go, but merely inserting a new OC isnt going to propel the Jets to the next level.

Especially without a NFL proven QB on the roster.
    I agree to some extent but when the scheme is so offensively challenged like the ground & pound it requires a dominant Oline, and a dominant running game. The Jets had a semblance of that Rex's first two years, not anymore. A change in offensive philosophy is much easier than needing to fill those positions with dominant players. Open up the offense some and perhaps that non NFL QB you refer to may actually pay dividends. The Jets haven't had an offensive minded focus since Bruce Coslett, its time to catch up with the NFL rule changes .

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    I agree to some extent but when the scheme is so offensively challenged like the ground & pound it requires a dominant Oline, and a dominant running game. The Jets had a semblance of that Rex's first two years, not anymore. A change in offensive philosophy is much easier than needing to fill those positions with dominant players. Open up the offense some and perhaps that non NFL QB you refer to may actually pay dividends. The Jets haven't had an offensive minded focus since Bruce Coslett, its time to catch up with the NFL rule changes .
    Good post.

I agree 100% that Ground n pound is not the key to todays NFL.
    Still, a change in philosophy (to an aerial attack focus) with Mark Sanchez and the WR corps of 2012 could have been even worse than what transpired.

Im over bashing Sanchez, but i just dont think the Jets can "open it up" with Mark leading the helm. This is precisely the reason i have SOJF outlook on the 2013 season already. I can accept and at least TRY to interpret any and all offseason moves, but until Mark and his contract are gone, i fear no Coordinator, HC, or GM will be able to polish this turd into a diamond.

Goooooooo Jets!

Very insightful

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Question is, does he want to work for a moron? If so, it would be a good thing.
    when are you going to grow up,and stop the mindless name calling,s..t

Undrafted Free Agent
    i like this. going to school in philly ive seen a lot of the eagles. the offense really did have a lot of dynamic plays in the playbook. The problem was the bonehead cocky players on the field who can't keep the ball up against their body which caused so many turnovers. Mornhinweg's playbook was still fun to watch at least.

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Good post.

I agree 100% that Ground n pound is not the key to todays NFL.
    Still, a change in philosophy (to an aerial attack focus) with Mark Sanchez and the WR corps of 2012 could have been even worse than what transpired.

Im over bashing Sanchez, but i just dont think the Jets can "open it up" with Mark leading the helm. This is precisely the reason i have SOJF outlook on the 2013 season already. I can accept and at least TRY to interpret any and all offseason moves, but until Mark and his contract are gone, i fear no Coordinator, HC, or GM will be able to polish this turd into a diamond.

Goooooooo Jets!
    Its easy to look at Sanchez the past two years and feel that way. He may not have been an elite QB the 1st two years but with an offense suited to Rex's ground & pound mentality he was at least efficient. The two AFC championship games were just as much the defenses fault then Sanchez , especially within the framework of the offense Sanchez worked under.

These past two years when the Oline started to breakdown(Mangold Injury, Wayne Hunter swinging gate) and they didn't get the production from their RB's like in previous years the ground & pound system became ineffective. Sanchez was forced into bad throwing situations and teams could afford to blitz at will as the run game didn't scare them.

Since he's been with the Jets Sanchez has never been in an offense that was progressive and put him in better situations. Shotty tried early last year but Rex quickly *****ed we passed too much and shut it down.

Sanchez has faults , he absolutely turns the ball over too much . But if he clearly played within the confines of the O as Rex wants it, he would have been taking 10 sacks per game like we saw with McElroy against SD. Sanchez forced throws to wr's who had no clue where they should be , he forced throws out of desperation on 3rd and longs, sure he made bad throws and reads every QB does. But IMO we really don't know what Sanchez is capable of unless they design an offense around his skill sets. Do i expect an air it out Don Coryell type O , no they need to keep it balanced . But they need to let Sanchez break the pocket , roll him out more , pass more on typical running downs and get him some damn wr's who don't need a map to know what route to run.

Also anytime the Jets got a lead this year(which wasn't much) they basically shutdown the offense , let's play it safe the D will hold the fort. That mentality has to change, you don't get style points for winning 7-6 just like you don't get style points for winning 41-40. Bottom line I'm hoping Rex is true to his word and will allow his OC to be attacking and let Sanchez be himself .

Mornhinweg

If we hire Mornhinweg,i'll be sick as a dog. Rather have Cameron.The guy has Mccoy but hardly uses him. Shonn Greene got the ball 62 more times and rushed for more yards than Mccoy,what does that tell you about Mornhinweg

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    If we hire Mornhinweg,i'll be sick as a dog. Rather have Cameron.The guy has Mccoy but hardly uses him. Shonn Greene got the ball 62 more times and rushed for more yards than Mccoy,what does that tell you about Mornhinweg
    It tells me that Mornhinweg can't call a player's # when he's inactive with an injury.

McCoy was injured for 4 games this year and was limited in his return at the end of the year. He also is not the same type of RB as Greene. If you run McCoy 350 times, he will break down. He also had 54 receptions in 12 games - that's pretty decent usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    So Vick will agree to take less than 15 million.
    Look around the league & tell me WHAT TEAM would give Vick 15 million?
    Please
    I want to know

Do you realize that if the Jets get an OC in here that wants to run a spread option, & the Jets do take a QB in the 3rd round or what have you, Vick might be a great stop gap while the young guy gets settled & we jettison Sanchez in 2014.

The Eagles lost 4 starting Olineman this year! Think about that!
    Even Foles ending up getting smashed too.
    If Tom Brady played behind that line he would have been in traction for the 2nd half of the year.
    Don't be so close minded. Someone will have to man this ship & I personally would take Vick 1000 times over Sanchez with our line & a young new stud Olineman & RB.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Its easy to look at Sanchez the past two years and feel that way. He may not have been an elite QB the 1st two years but with an offense suited to Rex's ground & pound mentality he was at least efficient. The two AFC championship games were just as much the defenses fault then Sanchez , especially within the framework of the offense Sanchez worked under.

These past two years when the Oline started to breakdown(Mangold Injury, Wayne Hunter swinging gate) and they didn't get the production from their RB's like in previous years the ground & pound system became ineffective. Sanchez was forced into bad throwing situations and teams could afford to blitz at will as the run game didn't scare them.

Since he's been with the Jets Sanchez has never been in an offense that was progressive and put him in better situations. Shotty tried early last year but Rex quickly *****ed we passed too much and shut it down.

Sanchez has faults , he absolutely turns the ball over too much . But if he clearly played within the confines of the O as Rex wants it, he would have been taking 10 sacks per game like we saw with McElroy against SD. Sanchez forced throws to wr's who had no clue where they should be , he forced throws out of desperation on 3rd and longs, sure he made bad throws and reads every QB does. But IMO we really don't know what Sanchez is capable of unless they design an offense around his skill sets. Do i expect an air it out Don Coryell type O , no they need to keep it balanced . But they need to let Sanchez break the pocket , roll him out more , pass more on typical running downs and get him some damn wr's who don't need a map to know what route to run.

Also anytime the Jets got a lead this year(which wasn't much) they basically shutdown the offense , let's play it safe the D will hold the fort. That mentality has to change, you don't get style points for winning 7-6 just like you don't get style points for winning 41-40. Bottom line I'm hoping Rex is true to his word and will allow his OC to be attacking and let Sanchez be himself .
    Cant disagree with any of that. You make really good points on many levels with this post, and its very true that Mark was not to blame in the 2 AFCCG's of yesteryear. In fact his post season play was a big part of what got the Jets that far back to back years.

Again, im not a Sanchez basher, i just feel as a fan i have seen enough proof that he will not be an upper echelon QB that has the mental capacity to run a high powered offense. I think that is a MUST HAVE to win a SB.

I think we both agree that kind of aerial attack offense is a major factor to being successful in todays NFL. Ground and pound sounds tempting, but its not going to win SB's.

In the end, this is all just my (a fans) opinion, and i would far rather be mistaken about Mark Sanchez and experience that winning feeling again, rather than be right, just to be right.

Im patient, but i just want to win. Whatever it takes to get there, sign me up.

Thanks crash

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    It tells me that Mornhinweg can't call a player's # when he's inactive with an injury.

McCoy was injured for 4 games this year and was limited in his return at the end of the year. He also is not the same type of RB as Greene. If you run McCoy 350 times, he will break down. He also had 54 receptions in 12 games - that's pretty decent usage.
    I stand corrected, still i think he's to pass happy, exiting, but is it winning football?