Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jim Popp: "I would like the challenge of turning around the NYJ"

Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    You obviously have not read up on Jim Popp. While I agree there may be a transition to the NFL, there is no question this guy has been successful at every level of running a professional franchise. Additionally, he knows the x's and o's! How could he be a worse hire than Sparano???
    I appreciate a legit and actual response but I have read up on him a bunch since he was rumored a bunch from multiple outlets. Still the risk is too high ... fielding a CFL contender and putting together an NFL contender is a completely different ball game. I'm shocked some of you even think this is remotely close to the same thing. I mean some of you on here lack any football knowledge I've come to grips with that but this is borderline over the top, even for you guys. I expect this from an Eagles forum or maybe even a Cowboys forum ... boy how far Jet world has fallen. Terrible

Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    I appreciate a legit and actual response but I have read up on him a bunch since he was rumored a bunch from multiple outlets. Still the risk is too high ... fielding a CFL contender and putting together an NFL contender is a completely different ball game. I'm shocked some of you even think this is remotely close to the same thing. I mean some of you on here lack any football knowledge I've come to grips with that but this is borderline over the top, even for you guys. I expect this from an Eagles forum or maybe even a Cowboys forum ... boy how far Jet world has fallen. Terrible
    You're absolutely right...risk is definitely high, but isn't this all a crapshoot? KC hired Pioli a few years ago, who had a better resume than anyone, and how did that turnout? There's guys out there with a better resume than Popp no question...my #1 choice would still be Gamble but it looks like that's not happening. I think most Jets fans want a personnel guy though and at least this guy has a successful background (albeit it's in a different league).

All League
    The differences between the CFL and the NFL can be learned. The different group of players can be learned. Leadership and the ability to guide an organization can not... you either have it or you don't. Popp would suffer a learning curve, but he has the most important attributes that a good GM requires.

Jets Insider VIP
    It is amazing how the people who actually work in the NFL, the other GMs and several owners, peope who do this stuff for a living think and have said for the record that Popp would make an outstanding GM but JI fans somehow have "secret" insight based on nothing that suggests that he doesn't have the ability to be a good GM......

Oh and by the way what was Tanny Boy's skill set that made he "great" to be an NFL GM other than he could keep track of the NFL cap?

Answer = Absolutely Nothing!!!

But Popp who can evaluate players etc. and develop an organization is somehow inadequate.

Amazing......
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 01-12-2013 at 07:06 AM.

"u leave my POPP alone" .. .lol u guys are all butt hurt. Seriously this is the silliest thing I've ever seen on this forum. This is as bad as people who defended the Tebow move and even worse than the "Sparano is a good hire" crew out here. You guys found your new favorite guy based on his CFL career ... unbelievable. This is incredible ... We're trend setters. We'll soon be a step ahead of the Packers, Steelers, & Patriots making incredible moves like getting CFL GM's ... POPP goes the wiesel.
    Why don't you tell us why it's so stupid. Do you even know what a GM does? What skill sets are needed for the GM position?

Please tell us why this is the dumbest idea of all-time in your eyes?

And please tell us who you then would like as GM and why.
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-12-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Banned
    I love everything I've read about Popp, and would happy if he's hired, but my gut feeling is Brian Gaine is going to be the guy. He's a Parcells disciple, and Woody loves anyone associated with Parcells.

mystery candidates. LOL. i'm waiting for monte hall to pull back curtain #3 to reveal the new gm of the nyj.

I'm intrigued by Popp, but I have a feeling Brian Gaine is going to get the job.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    I'm intrigued by Popp, but I have a feeling Brian Gaine is going to get the job.
    agree..I feel its either Gaine or Idzik..I'm liking Idzik alittle more. No problem tho if it's Gaine

All League
    Dude you are something else. You talk down to people about their lack of knowledge, yet all you do is write completely uneeded 6 paragraph posts that contain little, if any analytical or insightful information. You try and make yourself appear knowledgable with this approach, but ultimately come off as a bafoon.

I'd venture to say you don't even know the differences of Canadian Football and the NFL without or friend google, yet you can make this determination about Popp.

Jets Insider VIP
    Someone outside of the organization that wants the job? I'm on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    agree..I feel its either Gaine or Idzik..I'm liking Idzik alittle more. No problem tho if it's Gaine
    Between those two, I prefer Gaine because he is a personnel guy. Idzik is cut more out of the Tanny mold with expertise on cap and contracts. Just my opinion.

Between those two, I prefer Gaine because he is a personnel guy. Idzik is cut more out of the Tanny mold with expertise on cap and contracts. Just my opinion.
    I hear you but read Izrid's bio..Not necessarily true (don't go by the media's labels)...

I hear you but read Izrid's bio..Not necessarily true (don't go by the media's labels)...
    I have to admit, he does sound impressive.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/staff/J...0-c4b074b07c45

I have to admit, he does sound impressive.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/staff/J...0-c4b074b07c45
    Exactly..He's not just a numbers guy like Khan.

This will turn Rex off and cause him not to be hired. Rex wants to completely run the personnel decisions. It's obvious... No way Rex votes a personnel guy into office.Sad.

Thanks. You are right, we shouldn't form opinions just based on media labels.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    This will turn Rex off and cause him not to be hired. Rex wants to completely run the personnel decisions. It's obvious... No way Rex votes a personnel guy into office.Sad.
    This, basically. A real personnel guy in the FO would result in Rex having less control. Can't have that, no sir.

"u leave my POPP alone" .. .lol u guys are all butt hurt. Seriously this is the silliest thing I've ever seen on this forum. This is as bad as people who defended the Tebow move and even worse than the "Sparano is a good hire" crew out here. You guys found your new favorite guy based on his CFL career ... unbelievable. This is incredible ... We're trend setters. We'll soon be a step ahead of the Packers, Steelers, & Patriots making incredible moves like getting CFL GM's ... POPP goes the wiesel.
    I guess Cameron Wake sucks too... you are so wildly uninformed in general.