Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam Cameron Interviewing - Even worse then Norv

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Cam Cameron Interviewing - Even worse then Norv

From Rotoworld

The NY Daily News reports the Jets have scheduled an interview with former Ravens OC Cam Cameron regarding the same position in New York.

Cameron is probably the worst fit for the Jets we can imagine. His Air Coryell-rooted system requires quarterbacks to make extremely difficult downfield throws into tight windows, and refuses to use stack or bunch formations to scheme open receivers. Joe Flacco is twice the arm talent Mark Sanchez is, and Flacco generally struggled in the same scheme. For the sake of the Jets, we hope they lean toward one of fellow candidates Marty Mornhinweg and Hue Jackson.

I just dont understand what Rex could possibly thinking. As stated above Cameron is not the type of coordinator that is a fit in todays NFL.

The teams that are having success (outside of peyton) are all using spread formations and read-option plays. The QBs that will be available to us in the draft in tyler wilson, Nassib, etc all are shorter and athletic enough to run those plays.

Cameron was fired by a team in the middle of a playoff run....and we are the morons trying to hire him.

Awful awful idea!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't know that when Rex said he wanted an "attacking offense" he meant:

"An offense where you do everything possible to keep the ball out of the hands of your best player."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I didn't know that when Rex said he wanted an "attacking offense" he meant:

"An offense where you do everything possible to keep the ball out of the hands of your best player."
    LOL.

We are going to run the pistol with Tebow.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of the three guys supposedly interviewing for the job, he's definitely option Z in my eyes.

The other two guys, I could get on board with. Cam...not so much.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I m on record that hiring Cameron would be a catastrophic move. As for Mornhinweg, the biggest thing I remember about him was his ridiculous decision to kick off after winning the coin toss in OT when he was the HC with Detroit. However, he has had some notable success in a few places. It makes me nervous that he worked with "throw 50+ times a game" Andy Reid for so long but he is infinitely better than Cameron.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    Im on record that hiring Cameron would be a catastrophic move. As for Mornhinweg, the biggest thing I remember about him was his ridiculous decision to kick off after winning the coin toss in OT when he was the HC with Detroit. However, he has had some notable success in a few places. It makes me nervous that he worked with "throw 50+ times a game" Andy Reid for so long but he is infinitely better than Cameron.
    Is there anyone not saying that? I get that Cameron is probably more highly regarded than us ans give him credit for. There's a reason that he was tabbed as a HC and OC in several places. But, is there anyone out there who is saying "oh yeah, this is what the Jets need?"

Bringing in Cameron would be a PR disaster for the Jets even if he may be a decent match - which I'm far from convinced of.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would any OC that wants a future in the NFL come to the Jets?

1) Lame duck HC meaning this OC gig is a one and done
    2) Defensive oriented HC who has stated he will be hands on on the O side
    3) Worst QB talent in league despite what HC boasted midseason
    4) Cap mess limiting ability to upgrade talent
    5) Media that carpet bombs every and all Jets coaches and players
    6) Poisonous locker room that routinely skewers coaches and players thru the media

This Jets gig is a 1 year paycheck opportunity only that will attract only retreads like Sporano and now Cameron who are clinging to stay in the league and forced to settle for the last worst job

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    From Rotoworld

The NY Daily News reports the Jets have scheduled an interview with former Ravens OC Cam Cameron regarding the same position in New York.

Cameron is probably the worst fit for the Jets we can imagine. His Air Coryell-rooted system requires quarterbacks to make extremely difficult downfield throws into tight windows, and refuses to use stack or bunch formations to scheme open receivers. Joe Flacco is twice the arm talent Mark Sanchez is, and Flacco generally struggled in the same scheme. For the sake of the Jets, we hope they lean toward one of fellow candidates Marty Mornhinweg and Hue Jackson.

I just dont understand what Rex could possibly thinking. As stated above Cameron is not the type of coordinator that is a fit in todays NFL.

The teams that are having success (outside of peyton) are all using spread formations and read-option plays. The QBs that will be available to us in the draft in tyler wilson, Nassib, etc all are shorter and athletic enough to run those plays.

Cameron was fired by a team in the middle of a playoff run....and we are the morons trying to hire him.

Awful awful idea!
    Interviewing is far from hiring, it's called due dilligence.

Relax.....

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I won't pretend to be an expert on offenses or offensive coordinators, I'm not even close. But it seems to me that what the Jets need now more than anything is a guy who knows coordinating like the back of his hand, had loads of experience as O.C., and has a pedigree of success. Taking just those traits into account, guys like Norv Turner and Cam Cameron are head and shoulders above folks like Hue Jackson and Marty Mornhinweg.

As a coordinator, Cameron has averaged 10 wins per season. He played a role in developing both great QBs and great RBs. In 11 years as a coordinator/head coach, his offenses have been in the top half of the league in scoring 9 times (the two times they weren't were his very first year as O.C. in San Diego and his failed stint as head coach of the Dolphins). At any given time, the offenses he's fielded were, at worst, good, and at best, historic: the 2006 Chargers averaged 30 or more points per game, the 21st highest-scoring offense in NFL history. As recent as 2011, the Ravens played 11 games against top ten NFL defenses and averaged 23 points in those games.

I'm not talking about overall success of the teams he's been a part of (as great as the 2006 Chargers were, they still went nowhere and fired their head coach). And yes, he's been blessed with some great players, too. But strictly from an offensive standpoint, Cam Cameron knows how to field offenses that can score.

Meanwhile, the Jets offenses over the past few years have been serviceable at best and atrocious at worst, almost always having trouble getting into the end zone.

Again, I'm no expert on the kind of offenses these guys run, so you guys can enlighten me as to why Cameron would be a horrible match for us. He absolutely might be. But one thing seems to be sure: if he gets hired, and everything you guys say is correct, his failure with the Jets would be by far the biggest blemish on his resume and a stark contrast from the success he's apparently had almost every other year as an offensive coordinator.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Than ...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Refuel View Post
    I won't pretend to be an expert on offenses or offensive coordinators, I'm not even close. But it seems to me that what the Jets need now more than anything is a guy who knows coordinating like the back of his hand, had loads of experience as O.C., and has a pedigree of success. Taking just those traits into account, guys like Norv Turner and Cam Cameron are head and shoulders above folks like Hue Jackson and Marty Mornhinweg.

As a coordinator, Cameron has averaged 10 wins per season. He played a role in developing both great QBs and great RBs. In 11 years as a coordinator/head coach, his offenses have been in the top half of the league in scoring 9 times (the two times they weren't were his very first year as O.C. in San Diego and his failed stint as head coach of the Dolphins). At any given time, the offenses he's fielded were, at worst, good, and at best, historic: the 2006 Chargers averaged 30 or more points per game, the 21st highest-scoring offense in NFL history. As recent as 2011, the Ravens played 11 games against top ten NFL defenses and averaged 23 points in those games.

I'm not talking about overall success of the teams he's been a part of (as great as the 2006 Chargers were, they still went nowhere and fired their head coach). And yes, he's been blessed with some great players, too. But strictly from an offensive standpoint, Cam Cameron knows how to field offenses that can score.

Meanwhile, the Jets offenses over the past few years have been serviceable at best and atrocious at worst, almost always having trouble getting into the end zone.

Again, I'm no expert on the kind of offenses these guys run, so you guys can enlighten me as to why Cameron would be a horrible match for us. He absolutely might be. But one thing seems to be sure: if he gets hired, and everything you guys say is correct, his failure with the Jets would be by far the biggest blemish on his resume and a stark contrast from the success he's apparently had almost every other year as an offensive coordinator.
    Deep passing patterns with few safety valve outlets ... No bunching formations to cause separation ... More receivers at the expense of protecting the QB ...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    jet fans through out history have sadly known what was right for this organization while management never does

I can still hear the draft rooms chants of marino marino or sapp and the jets taking ken obrien and kyle brady

everybody knew the hiring of soprano was going to fail miserably

now we will end up with the worst guy we can in cam-his team hated him so bad they got rid of him during a playoff run but yet we are interested and will end up hiring him too

then they will hire the in house puppet in cohen

it is a shame that the fanbase that is so passionate has to ever few years watch management head down a path most fans agree is a bad path

If I hear sanchez gives us the best chance to win all next year it crush me as a fan

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    And we are hiring coaches without the new GM in place to have input, while the interviews are ongoing! I am sure that is really going over well with the candidates.

Well its a good thing we have such a high caliber, respected head coach in place that, I trust, knows what he is doing (especially on the offensive side of the ball). Because if not it would be really dumb to allow a coach who could be fired in 12 months to have that much power to run an organization.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh god NO!!!!! You thought Schotty was bad???? Schotty is the spawn of this guy!!!!!!!! Just say no the Cam Cameron!!!!!!!!!! We dont need Air Crapyell!!!!! Please bring in Hue Jackson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Save us West Coast offense!!!!!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    And we are hiring coaches without the new GM in place to have input, while the interviews are ongoing! I am sure that is really going over well with the candidates.

Well its a good thing we have such a high caliber, respected head coach in place that, I trust, knows what he is doing (especially on the offensive side of the ball). Because if not it would be really dumb to allow a coach who could be fired in 12 months to have that much power to run an organization.
    I think the only chance we have of hiring a good candidate is if the GM rings him in with the expectation that he is the HC in 2014.

If the new OC is hired with no input from the GM, he will be unemployed New Years Day along with Rex.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not? Let him come here to end his OC/HC aspirations just as Rex will torpedo the remaining remnants of his career.

I see this as killing two birds with one stone (two more talentless jerkoffs out of the NFL and heading to Div. II football.).
    Next season will be a catastrophe anyway. Welcome Cam!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I think the only chance we have of hiring a good candidate is if the GM rings him in with the expectation that he is the HC in 2014.

If the new OC is hired with no input from the GM, he will be unemployed New Years Day along with Rex.
    I agree but the problem is that Rex will not allow a GM to be hired that would represent a threat to his job. That is why I believe we will not hire the guy from Pittsburgh because of his ties to Cowher.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    hiring cam will force the qb change that we all want.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    hiring cam will force the qb change that we all want.
    Well you are probably correct. Cam or Marty Morningweg tells me that we are bringing in a new QB. The only one that I can imagine working under this situation is Flynn.

Although Marty might be a play on getting Vick here which I am not going to get into as we have discussed that disaster elsewhere.