Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think is discussed with these GMs?

What do you think is discussed with these GMs?

As with a lot of job interviews it's not uncommon to have a scenario set up to discuss how the candidate would change the atmosphere or how they would go about trying to right this Jets ship.

We are all keenly aware of the biggest issues facing the 2013 Jets.
    Number 1 is the QB problem.
    I would love to be a fly on the wall in any discussions involving Sanchez.

Number 2 is what players will be cut & will any of them be back under new much lower contracts?
    Most agree that Pace, Thomas, Scott, Smith, & Smith will all be cut.

Number 3 is the contracts of Harris & Holmes.
    The amount of cap space dedicated to these 2 players is ridiculous regarding our chances for a winning season in 2013.

I hate the idea of redoing any of these guys contacts to push money into the future, for neither one of these guys is top 30 at their position in this league.

I'm sure Woody & Rex are hearing the ideas of all these GM candidates.
    I want the GM that tells them to bite the bullet & make the really tough decisions so that we can be ready for the Pats demise as Brady ages.

The NY Jets have always tried bandaid approaches, throwing caution to the wind when it comes to their future.
    It's time for this team to put a plan in place & stick with it. I've been a fan for 44 years, I can handle a couple down years as long as I can see improvement as the season progresses.
    Losing the last 3 games over the last 2 years is a pattern that really pizzes off fans. We seem to get worse as the season progresses, not a great way to keep a fan base happy.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Losing the last 3 games over the last 2 years is a pattern that really pizzes off fans. We seem to get worse as the season progresses, not a great way to keep a fan base happy.
    Welcome to a Rex Ryan coached team. Same would have happened in December prior years if the Colts and Bengals played their starters the whole game

I think it's pretty simple, really. Question......" thank for for coming, mr....... Do you have any problem working for a buffoon head coach who will make every personnel decision, continue to destroy this team year by year, and embarras us as an organization on a fairly regular basis?" If the answer is no, then this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ

Jets Insider VIP
    As with a lot of job interviews it's not uncommon to have a scenario set up to discuss how the candidate would change the atmosphere or how they would go about trying to right this Jets ship.

Number 2 is what players will be cut & will any of them be back under new much lower contracts?

The amount of cap space dedicated to these 2 players is ridiculous regarding our chances for a winning season in 2013.

I hate the idea of redoing any of these guys contacts to push money into the future, for neither one of these guys is top 30 at their position in this league.

I want the GM that tells them to bite the bullet & make the really tough decisions so that we can be ready for the Pats demise as Brady ages.

The NY Jets have always tried bandaid approaches, throwing caution to the wind when it comes to their future.
    It's time for this team to put a plan in place & stick with it. I've been a fan for 44 years, I can handle a couple down years as long as I can see improvement as the season progresses.
    The Colts had 45 million in dead cap money going foward last season. The had a few key players ie., Luck and Wayne and built a team around that and into the playoffs. Watchout for them this year with the cap cleared.

The state of this franchise as it relates to cap issues and the roster is not nearly as dire as the gossip columnists portray it to be. Sadly, there is something about this organization that is far more sickly and in much worse shape then the cap; the state of the ownership of this team.

So God only knows what is discussed in these interviews;

Moron Owner: You must keep Rex Ryan until I say otherwise. I have final say.

Moron Owner: We like having big name players on our roster so we want a plan from you for signing one or more marketable players such as a michael Vick. He is talented and we can up grade our QB position.

Moron Owner: I do not believe in rebuilding so I expect you to manipulate the cap for this off season so we can add some big names to our roster.

Moron Owner: Rex Ryan has final say on all player decisions.

I would not put it past the leader of the circus to impose anyone or all of these preconditions on prospective GMs.

All League
    Well I' m sure one of the questions is "how old you implement a new culture to the NYJ?

Gamble's likely answer: Culture is the identity of the HC, not the from the FO.

Woody: Well thank you sir. We are done here.

As far as the roster and cap situation not being as dire as the media states, well that may be true but only if

Ellis can take over for Pouha (when cut will save the Jets $3.8M)
    Powell can be a full time starter
    Schlauderaff or DuCasse can start at least one of the Guard positions
    Cumberland turns into a healthy Keller
    Davis is everything that Scott is not.
    Kyle Wilson takes over for Landry

And we get at least three starters from this draft and everyone stays healthy.

Of course even if everything I mentioned happens, we still have Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Well I' m sure one of the questions is "how old you implement a new culture to the NYJ?

Gamble's likely answer: Culture is the identity of the HC, not the from the FO.

Woody: Well thank you sir. We are done here.

As far as the roster and cap situation not being as dire as the media states, well that may be true but only if

Ellis can take over for Pouha (when cut will save the Jets $3.8M)
    Powell can be a full time starter
    Schlauderaff or DuCasse can start at least one of the Guard positions
    Cumberland turns into a healthy Keller
    Davis is everything that Scott is not.
    Kyle Wilson takes over for Landry

And we get at least three starters from this draft and everyone stays healthy.

Of course even if everything I mentioned happens, we still have Sanchez.
    Pouha was a traffic cone last year, he got pushed around more than a 80 year old's walker. It sucks because he was great the year before, but backs and legs are keys for a Dlineman , without them your toast. Between Ellis and Harrison they should be fine there.

In my mind neither Powell or Greene will be the starting RB this year, we'll either draft someone, trade for one or pick one up in FA. Either of those guys could be a good secondary back but neither is starter material.

I may be in the minority but I think the Ducasse/Slauson duo was better than Brandon Moore last year. They will certainly address the Oline this year in the draft, I wouldn't even be surprised to see our #9 pick going Oline.

Keller is gone. I beleiev Cumberland/Reuland are adequate 2 & 3 guys but I look for either a FA pickup or a draft pick ( Eifert/Ertz perhaps).

Davis with another year in the Rex system should be a 3 down LB, which in and of itself trumps Bart Scott's limited abilities.

I'm still not personally sold on Kyle Wilson. I have a feeling Cro will be traded and will force Wilson to rmain as a CB albeit hopefully as a backup. I'm hoping that either Bush or A Allen can take a step up or resigning Landy or Bell becomes crucial.

And on Sanchez. If we finally get an offensive gameplan from a OC that the HC truly gives autonomy,I believe we'll be very surprised by what we can get out of Sanchez. If the O philosophy doesn't change then we'll get another year of crap.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Pouha was a traffic cone last year, he got pushed around more than a 80 year old's walker. It sucks because he was great the year before, but backs and legs are keys for a Dlineman , without them your toast. Between Ellis and Harrison they should be fine there.

In my mind neither Powell or Greene will be the starting RB this year, we'll either draft someone, trade for one or pick one up in FA. Either of those guys could be a good secondary back but neither is starter material.

I may be in the minority but I think the Ducasse/Slauson duo was better than Brandon Moore last year. They will certainly address the Oline this year in the draft, I wouldn't even be surprised to see our #9 pick going Oline.

Keller is gone. I beleiev Cumberland/Reuland are adequate 2 & 3 guys but I look for either a FA pickup or a draft pick ( Eifert/Ertz perhaps).

Davis with another year in the Rex system should be a 3 down LB, which in and of itself trumps Bart Scott's limited abilities.

I'm still not personally sold on Kyle Wilson. I have a feeling Cro will be traded and will force Wilson to rmain as a CB albeit hopefully as a backup. I'm hoping that either Bush or A Allen can take a step up or resigning Landy or Bell becomes crucial.

And on Sanchez. If we finally get an offensive gameplan from a OC that the HC truly gives autonomy,I believe we'll be very surprised by what we can get out of Sanchez. If the O philosophy doesn't change then we'll get another year of crap.

My post was not to bash any of the moves I spoke of. We are going to turn over a good part of our roster whether we like it or not. I just think its a lot to ask for to have backups take over at so many spots and expect to be successful at each one. I think it's possible that our play at ILB may improve where if we lose both Bell and Landry our safety position will be the worst it's been in a while.

I don't expect Slauson and Moore to be back. And with Mathews and Lewan staying in school that will severely limit our options at OL at 9.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    My post was not to bash any of the moves I spoke of. We are going to turn over a good part of our roster whether we like it or not. I just think its a lot to ask for to have backups take over at so many spots and expect to be successful at each one. I think it's possible that our play at ILB may improve where if we lose both Bell and Landry our safety position will be the worst it's been in a while.

I don't expect Slauson and Moore to be back. And with Mathews and Lewan staying in school that will severely limit our options at OL at 9.
    \

I agree I wasn't trying to debate what you said just pointing out that either due to aging vets and or injuries last year they really fielded a subpar team last year. If they are able to replace and plug into those holes, the roster situation may not be as bleak as it looks.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    \

I agree I wasn't trying to debate what you said just pointing out that either due to aging vets and or injuries last year they really fielded a subpar team last year. If they are able to replace and plug into those holes, the roster situation may not be as bleak as it looks.
    I think the "plugging holes" has been as issue with the Jets dating back to 1992. We prefer to overspend on free agency rather than build thought the draft because either we haven't had the best talent from our drafts or didn't have the long term HCs that could develop said players.

In recent case, probably a combination of both.

Jets Insider VIP
    The new GM will need to review game film and read reports on team players.
    He will then get together with the OC, DC,ST and HC to determine what their needs are going foward.

The next several months after the playoffs will be FA decisions and draft selections. Planning of the OTA, minicamp, strength planing,TC,preseason.

Lots of work to see how they get from poor to better.

Bewildered Beast
    "Do these taste like pretzels?"

I think our biggest problem will be how to incorporate all the young guys into the offense.
    On D, Revis is back
    Davis will play
    Probably OLB @ 9 depending on how things fall
    One FA veteran LB to shore up some experience

The safeties will not have to be great if we upgrade the speed at LB

I would like to see us get a stud RB because I think Powell is an excellent backup & 3rd down guy that will excel in a new offensive system. Powell can catch, block, & has just enough wiggle in the open field.
    Holmes- Kerley- Hill- FA will open the running game a little.

* I'm gonna go out on a limb & say Hill will be our most improved player in 2013.
    He's young, athletic, works hard & wants to get better. As raw as he was, he still got open a lot when he was healthy. Holmes on the field will open things up for Hill.

I would not be opposed to a trade up scenario in the 2nd round if a RB like Lacy was there.
    There seems to be some here that don't believe in Lacy but I saw a guy with great feet with lateral jump moves that reminded me of Emmitt Smith & Bradshaw of the Giants.
    I know that many here are for quantity over quality but with the new system & pay scale regarding the draft, I still think we need superior TALENT, the end of the roster can be managed with the right GM ie. a guy like Popp.

If the Jets could come out of this draft with a starting Guard, OLB & RB, we would be in great position in 2014 in both free agency & filling in with the draft.

I can't wait to see the direction a new GM will put us in.
    It's exciting.

#1. What kind of talks regarding Sanchez can there be, The new GM is not intimately aware (besides Cohen) of the issues.

#2 Those are all short term and there isn't anything that can be really be done.

#3- Again what can be done- nothing this year. Both of their contracts have heavy guarantees for this year.

I think the questions are more philosophical in nature and long term in scope.

1- Do you bring in a qb in the draft and then build a team or the contrary?
    2. Who sets the draft board-
    3. Who determines team needs
    4. If your team could only be strong on one side of the ball which is it?
    5. Who do you think are the best run teams and why are they so
    6. who do you think the best HC are and why.
    7. rank the positions in order of importance
    Last edited by patman; 01-12-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think our biggest problem will be how to incorporate all the young guys into the offense.
    On D, Revis is back
    Davis will play
    Probably OLB @ 9 depending on how things fall
    One FA veteran LB to shore up some experience

The safeties will not have to be great if we upgrade the speed at LB

I would like to see us get a stud RB because I think Powell is an excellent backup & 3rd down guy that will excel in a new offensive system. Powell can catch, block, & has just enough wiggle in the open field.
    Holmes- Kerley- Hill- FA will open the running game a little.

* I'm gonna go out on a limb & say Hill will be our most improved player in 2013.
    He's young, athletic, works hard & wants to get better. As raw as he was, he still got open a lot when he was healthy. Holmes on the field will open things up for Hill.

I would not be opposed to a trade up scenario in the 2nd round if a RB like Lacy was there.
    There seems to be some here that don't believe in Lacy but I saw a guy with great feet with lateral jump moves that reminded me of Emmitt Smith & Bradshaw of the Giants.
    I know that many here are for quantity over quality but with the new system & pay scale regarding the draft, I still think we need superior TALENT, the end of the roster can be managed with the right GM ie. a guy like Popp.

If the Jets could come out of this draft with a starting Guard, OLB & RB, we would be in great position in 2014 in both free agency & filling in with the draft.

I can't wait to see the direction a new GM will put us in.
    It's exciting.
    I think we save that stud position at RB for another need. Once Warmack is our Guard, he will open up the lanes for our RBs. A RT could improve the passing game. We are going to need to replace Thomas, Pace, Bart Scott, Landry.....that's a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I think we save that stud position at RB for another need. Once Warmack is our Guard, he will open up the lanes for our RBs. A RT could improve the passing game. We are going to need to replace Thomas, Pace, Bart Scott, Landry.....that's a lot.
    These guys were not good & getting SIMILAR production will not be hard.
    Pace is shot! (Draft @ 9 replaces him)
    Scott wasn't even close to a 3 down LB! (Davis should be able to replace him)
    Thomas got hurt AGAIN ( veteran average FA LB can take his place)

Landry will hurt but the Jets could have one of the youngest front 7s on defense in the league next year & be pretty good.
    That 9 spot in this years draft is crucial to rounded out this defense.

I would hate to have to take a guard at 9, ugh! Warmack will be a 1st rounder.
    Now if the Jets get someone that covets a player at that 9 spot for a short trade down, that would be awesome.
    We'll see

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    #1. What kind of talks regarding Sanchez can there be, The new GM is not intimately aware (besides Cohen) of the issues.

#2 Those are all short term and there isn't anything that can be really be done.

#3- Again what can be done- nothing this year. Both of their contracts have heavy guarantees for this year.

I think the questions are more philosophical in nature and long term in scope.

1- Do you bring in a qb in the draft and then build a team or the contrary?
    2. Who sets the draft board-
    3. Who determines team needs
    4. If your team could only be strong on one side of the ball which is it?
    5. Who do you think are the best run teams and why are they so
    6. who do you think the best HC are and why.
    7. rank the positions in order of importance
    Everybody keeps talking about how keeping Rex is hurting the GM search, how about being saddled with Sanchez, the 35th ranked QB in the NFL for 2012!

All League
    Woody Johnson: Which Celebrity do you think I look like?

Canidate 1: Jim Cramer

Johnson: Thank you for your time

Canidate 2: Ron Howard

Canidate 3: James Carville

Canidate 4: Gollum

Johnson: Go **** yourself

Canidate 5: Richard Gere

Johnson: Your Hired!!!