Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Omar Khan and Ken Whisenhunt Leads To Bill Cowher

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

How Omar Khan and Ken Whisenhunt Leads To Bill Cowher

This is a pipe dream and most Jets fans like myself dream big.

If I were running the Jets and I had 2014 in mind. I would hire Omar Khan to be the New York Jets next general manager. Then I would interview and hire Ken Whisenhunt to be the teams next offensive coordinator. This sets the stage for the return of Bill Cowher to the sidelines and in green and white in a years time.

Khan would be Bill Cowher's choice as GM no matter where he ends up and Ken Whisenhunt was Bill Cowher's offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh when they won the superbowl. This could also lead to the possible hiring of Russ Grimm as the Jets new offensive line coach. These moves will instantly improve the Jets braintrust and coaching staff in 2013 and set the stage for the return of Bill Cowher in 2014. Cowher is a new york guy, he just recently purchased a new home here in New York. He would be the guy to replace Rex Ryan next season.

Just some food for thought and what I think is a well laid out strategy. This one is free Woody and I am not Jed Hughes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could see that.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    This is a pipe dream and most Jets fans like myself dream big.

If I were running the Jets and I had 2014 in mind. I would hire Omar Khan to be the New York Jets next general manager. Then I would interview and hire Ken Whisenhunt to be the teams next offensive coordinator. This sets the stage for the return of Bill Cowher to the sidelines and in green and white in a years time.

Khan would be Bill Cowher's choice as GM no matter where he ends up and Ken Whisenhunt was Bill Cowher's offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh when they won the superbowl. This could also lead to the possible hiring of Russ Grimm as the Jets new offensive line coach. These moves will instantly improve the Jets braintrust and coaching staff in 2013 and set the stage for the return of Bill Cowher in 2014. Cowher is a new york guy, he just recently purchased a new home here in New York. He would be the guy to replace Rex Ryan next season.

Just some food for thought and what I think is a well laid out strategy. This one is free Woody and I am not Jed Hughes.
    It's a logical sequence of events that you layed out and Khan could potentially be hired in my opinion. That's probably the most realistic move out of all those you mentioned, but I don't believe there is a snowballs chance in hell of Whisenhut or Cowher, ever setting foot inside the Jets organization in any capacity.

Dream big indeed.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    It's a logical sequence of events that you layed out and Khan could potentially be hired in my opinion. That's probably the most realistic move out of all those you mentioned, but I don't believe there is a snowballs chance in hell of Whisenhut or Cowher, ever setting foot inside the Jets organization in any capacity.

Dream big indeed.
    Whisenhunt was already here as a Jets coach. Cowher would want Khan as his GM because it would make him the real GM since Khan's expertise is the cap. The Jets in 2014 will be in much better shape cap wise and from a roster structure. The Jets already have a 3-4 defense in place and if you put Khan and Whisenhunt here . You are setting up some big bait to lure Cowher in next season.

The Jets should at the bare minimum interview Whisenhunt for OC if he doesn't get a coaching job. If I were the Bears, I would hire Whisenhunt just for the simple fact that Russ Grimm comes with the package and could help save their offensive line.
    Last edited by LeonM; 01-12-2013 at 09:36 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Dream big indeed.
    Khan is the business side of the FO in Pitt so I don't understand the jets interest. Unless Woody is going to give personnel to Bradway.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Whisenhunt was already here as a Jets coach. Cowher would want Khan as his GM because it would make him the real GM since Khan's expertise is the cap. The Jets in 2014 will be in much better shape cap wise and from a roster structure. The Jets already have a 3-4 defense in place and if you put Khan and Whisenhunt here . You are setting up some big bait to lure Cowher in next season.

The Jets should at the bare minimum interview Whisenhunt for OC if he doesn't get a coaching job. If I were the Bears, I would hire Whisenhunt just for the simple fact that Russ Grimm comes with the package and could help save their offensive line.
    I am not arguing the logic (which I thought I made clear in my initial response) I just don't see it playing out that way.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I were running the Jets

But you're not. Woody Johnson is. There goes any hope for a "well laid out strategy."

Waterboy
    The Most Corrupt State In The USA, New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice dream, but your forgetting that Woody said Rex doesn't have to win next year!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledge Hater #1 View Post
    Nice dream, but your forgetting that Woody said Rex doesn't have to win next year!
    Not to defend Woody but you know that's not what he said. The media set a trap for Woody to give a mandate for the 2013 season and he didn't fall for it. It's a clever question. Make Woody give a mandate and then it becomes a huge headline.

Don't buy the circus like media. It goes without saying that Rex Ryan knows that if the Jets don't win in 2013 and repeat 2012. Then he will not be the Jets head coach in 2014. Everyone in the organization knows it. Woody is just not going to say it publically. I am sure some imaginary Manish Mehta source will state the obvious in a few months from now that Rex's job is on the line in 2013.
    Last edited by LeonM; 01-12-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not arguing the logic (which I thought I made clear in my initial response) I just don't see it playing out that way.
    I agree with you. I don't see it happening. It's wishful thinking on my part.

At the bare minimum, Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm should be on the Jets radar for the OC and O-Line jobs. My guess is that Idzik gets the GM job and runs the football operations and that Cohen,Bradway and company run the player scouting department.

I am actually pulling for Brian Gaine. As Jets owner, I would have atleast interviewed AJ Smith and Scott Pioli if you are really going to expand the search and include the likes of Jerry Angelo. Pioli has rings and two NFL executive of the year awards. One as GM as the Chiefs believe it or not.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Khan is the business side of the FO in Pitt so I don't understand the jets interest. Unless Woody is going to give personnel to Bradway.
    The likelihood of the new GM coming in and re-shaping the entire Jets scouting department is not likely. Atleast not in year one. So i expect Bradway, Cohen and company to still remain in place. Khan or someone like Idzik would oversee the entire football operation and be the point man and cap strategist. Khan and Idzik are highly regarded in football circles for their leadership,guidance and expertise. I don't think either man is a bad hire.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get the fascination with Cowher, especially since it is pretty clear he does not want to coach again. Is it the scowl? I think he is a good coach but not that good.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I don't get the fascination with Cowher, especially since it is pretty clear he does not want to coach again. Is it the scowl? I think he is a good coach but not that good.
    Bingo, a lot folks here act as if he's Vince Lombardi. And even if he came here it would take 3-4 years before he could truly mold the team into his style - do Jet fans have the patience for that - nope they'd be running him out of dodge after year two.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn't agree more and this is the scenario I want to see happen. I will sacrifice another poor campaign in 2013 for Cowher in 2014.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post

I don't get it either. I mean, his record is only 149-90 with 9 division titles and 2 trips to the SB, despite having a franchise QB (Big Ben) only 3 seasons out of 15.

If you think about it, that is only 7 more divisions and 2 more SB trips than the Jets have in my lifetime (I'm in my 40s). I mean, that is good, but not that good. I'd much rather have Rex Ryan.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent post. Reflects the mentality of setting the stage on the offensive side of the ball to give you flexibility next year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bill Cowher will coach when Tom Coughlin retires.

It's like a given. He will replace Coughlin and stick himself in the best situation in football:

Working for John Mara and the best organization in the NFL.

It's obvious he won't interview unless it's for the top tier of NFL organizations.

The Jets are not in the top tier of NFL organizations.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with you. I don't see it happening. It's wishful thinking on my part.

At the bare minimum, Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm should be on the Jets radar for the OC and O-Line jobs. My guess is that Idzik gets the GM job and runs the football operations and that Cohen,Bradway and company run the player scouting department.

I am actually pulling for Brian Gaine. As Jets owner, I would have atleast interviewed AJ Smith and Scott Pioli if you are really going to expand the search and include the likes of Jerry Angelo. Pioli has rings and two NFL executive of the year awards. One as GM as the Chiefs believe it or not.
    If Pioli is available he definitely should at least get an interview......

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Bill Cowher will coach when Tom Coughlin retires.

It's like a given. He will replace Coughlin and stick himself in the best situation in football:

Working for John Mara and the best organization in the NFL.

It's obvious he won't interview unless it's for the top tier of NFL organizations.

The Jets are not in the top tier of NFL organizations.

Absolutely 100% nailed it. Unfortunately.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've never understood why Cowher is SO well regarded and loved by Jets fans. He's one ONE superbowl and only did that as soon as a got a QB in Big Ben.

If anything, he did less with more talent than Rex Ryan did. 1 Super Bowl in 14 years, and also claiming 'he didn't have a QB for his first years' is not an excuse...Rex Ryan had us into the AFC Championship game with a rookie and second year Mark Sanchez.

I'd much rather have Ryan than Cowher.