Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Tweets & News 1/12

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Good point. I'd usually agree with this but.....Rex got a huge endorsement from Woody and Woody said the GM will only choose the players, not the coaches.
    Disagree. He got some nice words from Woody. Nothing more. He is on thin ice here. He did not get an extension. He just got a 1 year reprieve. Maybe.

They're abandoning ship to go get 2, 3 or 4 year deals rather than hanging on in a possible "one and done" situation for Rex.
    yep...all getting secuirty of multi-year deals elsewhere before the titanic hits the iceberg..

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    6 million reasons and a schoolboy crush by the owner...
    6 million reasons, yes. School boy crush, no. Behind closed doors, Rex got slapped. He is contrite. He will go along to get along.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Find it hard to believe Ryan would be given the power to choose coaches on the offense.
    If Rex is going to be the coach, he ought to be empowered to hire the OC of his choice. If Woody won't let him choose his staff, then he might as well fire him.

They're abandoning ship to go get 2, 3 or 4 year deals rather than hanging on in a possible "one and done" situation for Rex.
    Yup

Jets Insider VIP
    Find it hard to believe Ryan would be given the power to choose coaches on the offense.
    Yeah but I haven't heard anything different and Woody seemed to confirm it.

The Jets are interviewing OC candidates who will work under Rex and the Jets don't have a GM. Who do you think is interviewing these guys and part of the decision-making process? We might have a new OC before a GM.

Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    6 million reasons, yes. School boy crush, no. Behind closed doors, Rex got slapped. He is contrite. He will go along to get along.
    i hope you are right

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    If Rex is going to be the coach, he ought to be empowered to hire the OC of his choice. If Woody won't let him choose his staff, then he might as well fire him.

Cavanaugh and Sparano were Rex choices.

I think he should stay away from the offense.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Yeah but I haven't heard anything different and Woody seemed to confirm it.

The Jets are interviewing OC candidates who will work under Rex and the Jets don't have a GM. Who do you think is interviewing these guys and part of the decision-making process? We might have a new OC before a GM.
    I'd be surprised if that happens.

Cavanaugh and Sparano were Rex choices.

I think he should stay away from the offense.
    But Rex figured it all out by the pool in the Bahamas...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    Disagree. He got some nice words from Woody. Nothing more. He is on thin ice here. He did not get an extension. He just got a 1 year reprieve. Maybe.
    “Having been in business, around football for a while, you can recognize talent when you see it,” Woody said.

“I fervently believe that he has a rare ability,” Woody said.

“One of the things that impresses me about Rex as a leader is that he knows where he wants to improve and he’s committed to do that, and I trust him,” Woody said.

Asked if there was a mandate for Rex to make the playoffs in 2013, Woody said, "No. There's no mandate."
    And there ya go!

I'd be surprised if that happens.
    Agree...Hasn't it been reported although it'll be Rex's decision the thought is they want the GM in place first to provide feedback

Agree...Hasn't it been reported although it'll be Rex's decision the thought is they want the GM in place first to provide feedback
    Yup Cimini re-tweeted that statement.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    In theory, if you believe Rex is your coach beyond 2013, then yes let him pick his assistants.

BUT....if you allow the new GM to pick the assistants you immediately improve your chances next year. One, we all know the GM will be here so when he brings in assistant coaches, they will be here long term. So you can improve the quality of coaches you can recruit. Plus, it gets the rebuilding process started because these assistants will be able to evaluate the entire roster over the course of a year vice 30 days after next season is over.

Plus, the GM may be able to bring in the potential new HC.

But as usual, we are not making the most optimal decisions here. The decision to let Rex hire the coach is a statement to Rex that he is 100% responsible for this team next year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I would like for someone to explain how and why they think Rex Ryan is in any way qualified to choose an offensive coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    In theory, if you believe Rex is your coach beyond 2013, then yes let him pick his assistants.

BUT....if you allow the new GM to pick the assistants you immediately improve your chances next year. One, we all know the GM will be here so when he brings in assistant coaches, they will be here long term. So you can improve the quality of coaches you can recruit. Plus, it gets the rebuilding process started because these assistants will be able to evaluate the entire roster over the course of a year vice 30 days after next season is over.

Plus, the GM may be able to bring in the potential new HC.

But as usual, we are not making the most optimal decisions here. The decision to let Rex hire the coach is a statement to Rex that he is 100% responsible for this team next year.
    I can see this line of thinking but I don't think that they would operate that way. For example, Rex runs a 3-4 so you hire a DC this year that is good with that. Next year you hire Coach Y, his philosophy is a 4-3 and wants to bring his DC with him, what have you accomplished... The only way you play it this way is if you are going to hire Rex's replacement onto the staff. As I have stated before, I think that route is fraught with peril!!!!

I would like for someone to explain how and why they think Rex Ryan is in any way qualified to choose an offensive coordinator.
    the pool in the Bahamas has special powers....all I got becuz I can't...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    the pool in the Bahamas has special powers....all I got becuz I can't...
    Maybe while giving a good footrub, the answer came to him.

My opinion is Rex is not qualified which to me means he also in not qualified to be a head coach... However, you really are not making a commitment to a coach if you don't let him build his staff. If you don't do that, the writing is on the wall that he is not long for this job. It all goes back to should Rex stay or go? You allowing him to stay really should mean you allow him to build his coaching staff.

We would be so much better off if they just moved on from him already...

Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    My opinion is Rex is not qualified which to me means he also in not qualified to be a head coach... However, you really are not making a commitment to a coach if you don't let him build his staff. If you don't do that, the writing is on the wall that he is not long for this job. It all goes back to should Rex stay or go? You allowing him to stay really should mean you allow him to build his coaching staff.

We would be so much better off if they just moved on from him already...
    from your keyboard to god's eyes...