Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WSJ: Jets' Headhunter Is Key to Their Recovery

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Sorry guys, I mistakenly merged it with the Westhoff thread whilst trying to get rid of a duplicate thread. If someone could repost the article here, I'd appreciate it.

Sorry for the screw up.
    Hopefully Korn Ferry didn't interview you for the Mod position...

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Sorry guys, I mistakenly merged it with the Westhoff thread whilst trying to get rid of a duplicate thread. If someone could repost the article here, I'd appreciate it.

Sorry for the screw up.
    I don't know what you did, but I'm stuck in this thread. I can't hit the 'back' button, I can't close the browser window. When I launch another browser and go to JI, it puts me straight in this thread, won't let me out.

Please undo what you did or I'll be stuck in this thread forever.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I don't know what you did, but I'm stuck in this thread. I can't hit the 'back' button, I can't close the browser window. When I launch another browser and go to JI, it puts me straight in this thread, won't let me out.

Please undo what you did or I'll be stuck in this thread forever.

SAR I
    Not to worry, I'll post toe pictures.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

A'ight....looks like we're back...sort of.

Lock this thread for fake news! I know from the endless posts on the GM search that Woody is Rex's puppet and that having a coach in place before a GM means you become a garbage team. No way Woody would use a first rate search firm to pick next GM when Rex has all the power.

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Lets play it out this way;

You are a prospective candidate who obviously is coming in highly recommended.

You sit down for the interview and hear that the head coach from the previous regime will be making the decision on whether to hire you (as well as the owner of course)

Strike one.

Next, you are told that you will not have the ability to fire the head coach. Only the owner will have that authority. So you now are aware that you will not be able to set up the franchise in the manner that you plan, in arguably the most important position.

Strike two.

Next you are told that the head coach will have final say on all personnel matters. That includes the draft and free agency.

Strike three

And there are other preconditions that are speculative yet based on the owner's history are not out of the question to consider (ex: does he not want to enter into a rebuilding phase due to marketing/financial considerations, as but one example?).

Bottom line: If I were good at my job and was already part of a successful organization I would seriously consider turning down this position or at least refusing to agree to those stipulations, which in effect, is the same as saying no. A couple of them already have.....

I am going to have to work on my reading comprehension. You have always been a terrific poster but 2 of your three points are not true... Rex is not going to have a say in picking the GM...That has never been said period. It was said that he would be in the process... That process would include Rex and the GM each sharing his philosophy, and feeling comfortable they can coexist. Rex is part of the deal, all candidates know that. If you can't live with that you don't interview . The coach does not have final say on the roster. It has never been stated that is the case. It was specifically stated that the new GM would have final say on the draft and personnel.

You are simply correct on one thing... Rex is part of the deal! While my preference is to clean house, it is not going to happen. KFY is trying to find a GM that is comfortable moving forward with Rex... Does it limit our pool> yes! However, it does not mean we can't put a quality front office together. Reports say the Gamble interview did not go well. This board loves him, we know nothing!!! Gamble has not been hired or discussed going anywhere else. Let this thing play out . Relax already!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    I am going to have to work on my reading comprehension. You have always been a terrific poster but 2 of your three points are not true... Rex is not going to have a say in picking the GM...That has never been said period. It was said that he would be in the process... That process would include Rex and the GM each sharing his philosophy, and feeling comfortable they can coexist. Rex is part of the deal, all candidates know that. If you can't live with that you don't interview . The coach does not have final say on the roster. It has never been stated that is the case. It was specifically stated that the new GM would have final say on the draft and personnel.

You are simply correct on one thing... Rex is part of the deal! While my preference is to clean house, it is not going to happen. KFY is trying to find a GM that is comfortable moving forward with Rex... Does it limit our pool> yes! However, it does not mean we can't put a quality front office together. Reports say the Gamble interview did not go well. This board loves him, we know nothing!!! Gamble has not been hired or discussed going anywhere else. Let this thing play out . Relax already!!!!
    Nice post!

How many teams are without a GM at the moment? 3? Jets, Browns and Chiefs?

We haven't heard anything from the Browns and Chiefs. I bet they are sitting back, reading all the names on twitter that Korn Ferry has recommended to the Jets, then will make their GM candidate list from that. Woody pays the bill, all the teams get the KF services!

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    How many teams are without a GM at the moment? 3? Jets, Browns and Chiefs?

We haven't heard anything from the Browns and Chiefs. I bet they are sitting back, reading all the names on twitter that Korn Ferry has recommended to the Jets, then will make their GM candidate list from that. Woody pays the bill, all the teams get the KF services!
    LOL....Right.

The Chiefs GM will be Heckert or John Dorsey or some type of combination...

The Browns have reported they aren't in any hurry regarding their GM search..Banner and Haslam will handle it until the hire someone for GM or maybe just bring in a personnel guy..
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-12-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    LOL....Right.

The Chiefs GM with be Heckert or John Dorsey or some type of combination...

The Browns have reported they aren't in any hurry regarding their GM search..Banner and Haslam will handle it until the hire someone for GM or maybe just bring in a personnel guy..
    I have heard the Heckert/Dorsey combo in KC. I guess Reid wants to fill out his staff first.

I haven't heard who the Browns would be looking at, but they've made a splash so far (Chud, Norv and maybe John pagano as DC), so it appears that GM can wait for now.

All Pro
    Why? You don't think the rest of the league knows what is going on here and how dysfunctional the Jets are? League insiders know much more then we do about this process and what is going on with the candidates and the interviews. Wait till this is over and the information begins to leak out from league insiders.

Korn/Ferry has an excellent track record but their task is finding the right candidate that fits the description of the person/organization who hired them. Every NFL team that hires them are not looking for the exact same qualifications and backgrounds in these candidates. What Seattle wanted in their GM candidates may differ in some ways from what the Jets want.
    The point I think you're missing here is that their value is based directly on their success and reputation from that success, especially within the NFL, and they know it. It's pretty obvious to say they would never take a job with woody if they know they won't have the chance to be successful. There's no way they make such a terrible business decision.

BUT, lets pretend they couldn't foresee the problem and took the job. And lets pretend they did the full search, did their job, and said "here woody, Gamble is your guy (as you stated they did)," and woody shunned Gamble. Then, woody says, "I'm thinking about this guy Cohen (who we all think is a terrible choice and we can only assume K/F thinks so too)." What do you think they do then?

Do they think "oh well, we tried. Good luck with that one."?
    Or do they give woody his money back and publicly walk away, so EVERYONE in the NFL knows that the new GM is not their choice?

Whoever gets hired, it'll be THEIR choice, and I'm willing to give him a chance, even if its Cohen. Only way I am upset about who gets hired is if they walk away and woody clearly hires someone he was advised against.

Korn Ferry Searches

FWIW, when KF does a search for the firm I work for it takes a while...the process could be several months with various candidates. From the time the search commences to the signing of a contract averages about 4 months by my best guess.

Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    FWIW, when KF does a search for the firm I work for it takes a while...the process could be several months with various candidates. From the time the search commences to the signing of a contract averages about 4 months by my best guess.
    But in the NFL industry that isn't feasible...and it won't be that way..You need your FO in place, at the latest by the combine, which is the end of Feb...And even that is really too long in case the new guy wants his own people (scouts, personnel guys, etc....) and let's not forget FA begins early-mid March and the draft is late April

Same at my old firm.. I think this is a little different situation though... I figure they have someone in place by next week... While the existing front office can get things moving along, they really need the new GM in place to prioritize...

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    But in the NFL industry that isn't feasible...and it won't be that way..You need your FO in place, at the latest by the combine, which is the end of Feb...And even that is really too long in case the new guy wants his own people (scouts, personnel guys, etc....) and let's not forget FA begins early-mid March and the draft is late April
    I agree. My point was that KF does a extensive search. It looks like NYJ will be no different in regards to possible candidates for our GM slot. Ideally, the search will be concluded within the next week to prep in time for the scouting combine in mid-Feb.

Same at my old firm.. I think this is a little different situation though... I figure they have someone in place by next week... While the existing front office can get things moving along, they really need the new GM in place to prioritize...
    I agree with your post. Just trying to provide some insight on KFs process/way the firm operates. Some of our JI colleagues are overreacting based on the media coverage -- i.e., WSJ story for a NFL gm search??? Does any other NFL city get that type of attention?

Also, I posted 2 weeks ago that KF is a top notch firm when some of our colleagues became very critical of the ownership employing KF. In fairness, I am sure many never even heard of KF up until now.

I agree with your post. Just trying to provide some insight on KFs process/way the firm operates. Some of our JI colleagues are overreacting based on the media coverage -- i.e., WSJ story for a NFL gm search??? Does any other NFL city get that type of attention?

Also, I posted 2 weeks ago that KF is a top notch firm when some of our colleagues became very critical of the ownership employing KF. In fairness, I am sure many never even heard of KF up until now.
    I hear you... I am looking forward to the announcement of a new GM soon so that we can all debate, discuss and ridicule one another...

All League
    Sounds like we should hire Jed Hughes as our new GM. Maybe he is the mystery candidate.

Good post.

The disconnect here (I think) is in how we are all interpreting woody's words in the press conference. From my view, when he admitted that a stipulation for any prospective candidate is that the coach stays through 2013 he was saying essentially saying only he will determine whether Ryan stays or not.

I took this, as well as his statement that the head coach will be a part of hiring the next gm, as two impediments for hiring general managers but we will see. Anyway, I respect your point of view and we are all on board for wanting to see this team succeed!

Good post.

The disconnect here (I think) is in how we are all interpreting woody's words in the press conference. From my view, when he admitted that a stipulation for any prospective candidate is that the coach stays through 2013 he was saying essentially saying only he will determine whether Ryan stays or not.

I took this, as well as his statement that the head coach will be a part of hiring the next gm, as two impediments for hiring general managers but we will see. Anyway, I respect your point of view and we are all on board for wanting to see this team succeed!
    Another day with no real news of what the team will do... Time to get ready to watch some playoff football... Enjoy the games!!! I look forward to all of us discussing the new hire once it is announced...