Thread: Greatest Day in Jets History, 44 Years

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Greatest Day in Jets History, 44 Years

Let us escape for a moment from where we are as Jet fans today and go back exactly 44 years ago to 1/12/1969, as Joe Willie held his right index finger to the sky jogging off the Orange Bowl field. Feel free to share any and all remembrances of that amazing day in our history.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was but a twinkling in my daddy's prepubescent loins. It was a great day.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets up 7-0 at the half and I'm thrilled cause they're not getting blown out. Second half was a blur. Unbelievable day.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    44 years ago today, I was beginning my second trimester inside my momma.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The SOJF pukes if they existed would have said in the game thread ZOMG, Unitas is in the game it's over and after Namath was a game manager...

42 to me will always be Beverley and not the fumbling Harper...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watched it(8 yrs. old). Was able to secure the actual NBC game broadcast on tape so I have proof it really did happen. Seems like a lot longer than 44yrs unfortunately. Might be the only one I get

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was 4.1/2 months old
    But a great day in sports history, the biggest upset of all time.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was 7. Don't remember a thing. Saw the tape of the game many years later. Not sure why I can't remember. maybe I do, I just didn't know what I was watching.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I woke up today and saw it was January 12th, this was the first thing that came to my mind. My mom took us ice skating that morning. I was 10 years old and that season I just saw my first Jet game at Shea against the Broncos. My uncle's seats at Shea were 35 yard line, 6th row behind the Jets bench. After the game, I ran down to the dugout entrance where the players exited at the time. I always remember being 6 feet from Joe Willie, green eyes, white shoes, tan and the long hair. Been a fan ever since. Problem is if we are waiting for another 44 years, I will be 98!!!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was 7. Not sure what I remember. Did watch the game many times on tape though. I want a white fur coat!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by norcaljet View Post
    I was 4.1/2 months old
    But a great day in sports history, the biggest upset of all time.
    Great avatar!!!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was 8, rooting hard for those Jets: Namath, Maynard, Snell, Schmitt, Hill, Atkinson, Sample, Turner (both Bake and Jim!), Sauer, Lammons, Boozer, Philbin, and all the others.
    My uncle told me that Namath would be squished by Bubba Smith.
    HA!!!!!!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was 18 on that day. But, believe it or not, I did not see the game. In 1969 I wasn't a football fan. Only a baseball fan. My only excuse is that my family had immigrated from Canada and my dad, wanting his son to grow up American, only had encouraged in me an interest in baseball. He had been a hockey fan too, but he felt that was too Canadian of a thing to influence his son to have an interest in.

Eventually, by the 1970's, I became an NFL fan. I chose the NY Jets to be my favorite team, based on their downtrodden history (and also based on the fact that I used to live close to NYC, in NJ, actually). So you really gotta feel for me, I think. I was alive during the Jets only SB victory, but missed it. And I probably will never see a Jets SB victory. But I can hope!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was the Superbowl back then as big of a deal as it is now? Serious question. Looking for some insight from you guys that were around.

I mean clearly it wasn't the spectacle that it is now, but did the entire country watch like it does now? Was the mystique of winning the Lombardi the same?