Thread: Connect the dots on Pep Hamilton

Connect the dots on Pep Hamilton

This strikes me as the first coaching candidate without ties to Rex. Could indicate that GM search is nearing a conclusion and that one of the candidates is starting to contribute and may have ties to Hamilton. Don't know all the pedigrees, but Pep overlapped with Angelo. Maybe has relationship with Gamble. Not sure about Gaine.

Connect the dots. Discuss

Veteran
    No offense but I don't understand how many times that it needs to be said. Rex is hiring the coaching staff. Woody made that very clear during their press conference.

Disagree there. Morninwheg is a Scott Cohen contribution. Rex may have a say on the staff but it's ridiculous to think the gm or personnel office is just sitting on their hands. any candidate who would seriously come here would want to know and have a relationship with the leadership. Rex has none of that with Pep, so he has to have ties to someone else.

And don't believe anything woody says at the press conference. Rex is on a 1 year contract. If I were a young OC candidate I wouldn't move for a 1 year deal, so knowing the gm would be key.

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    No offense but I don't understand how many times that it needs to be said. Rex is hiring the coaching staff. Woody made that very clear during their press conference.
    Correct, but there will always be the clowns who choose to believe their little conspiracies.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyjet View Post
    And don't believe anything woody says at the press conference. Rex is on a 1 year contract. If I were a young OC candidate I wouldn't move for a 1 year deal, so knowing the gm would be key.
    1. Just because Rex gets to hire his staff, does not mean he is not leaning on our front office with assistance in identifying candidates.

2. Until the ink is dry, any GM candidate is not placing a OC on our staff. They may mention a few names in the interview process but they are not tied to picking it.

3. The OC will not be on a 1 year contract... He will get a 3 yr contract that is guaranteed. Even if the staff is turned over, he gets paid, further the offset language in his contract, would make him a cheap hire for another team!

These conspiracy threads are comical... Go back to watching Oliver Stone movies!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Pep was here under Herm. I believe hes was the WRs coach. He knows woody.

Pep paid his dues. I would like this hire.

Conspiracy theories, wtf? I've got nothing against Pep Hamilton if he's the guy. Maybe it was Bradway who suggested him. But it indicates that someone beyond Rex or Scott Cohen is suggesting candidates. Just think they are getting closer to a gm hire, is all I am saying. If I were the Jets, I'd make sure the GM was at least involved in the hiring. If Rex gets canned next year (likely) you either have an heir apparent on the offensive side of the ball, or at least you might be able to focus on the defense only so you're not cleaning house on offense 4 years in a row. No way the OC is named before the GM is in place. That would be sheer stupidity.

I'm sticking with my premise. That a new name has surfaced who is not a Rex guy is probably indicative of a transition taking place this weekend. That's not a conspiracy, it's common sense.

Conspiracy theories, wtf? I've got nothing against Pep Hamilton if he's the guy. Maybe it was Bradway who suggested him. But it indicates that someone beyond Rex or Scott Cohen is suggesting candidates. Just think they are getting closer to a gm hire, is all I am saying. If I were the Jets, I'd make sure the GM was at least involved in the hiring. If Rex gets canned next year (likely) you either have an heir apparent on the offensive side of the ball, or at least you might be able to focus on the defense only so you're not cleaning house on offense 4 years in a row. No way the OC is named before the GM is in place. That would be sheer stupidity.

I'm sticking with my premise. That a new name has surfaced who is not a Rex guy is probably indicative of a transition taking place this weekend. That's not a conspiracy, it's common sense.
    I disagree... You theory is only applicable if you think that Woody is not going all in on Rex... I think he is all in with him. It is like the QB position, you don't bring in a OC or DC that is an heir apparent to the HC if you truly support him. It causes turmoil the minute the team has a setback next year. The insurance plan is not build a staff you can move forward with in my opinion. The back-up plan is that if it is determined that Rex has to go, the new GM will build a brand new coaching staff from there. I won't be shocked to find out down the road that Rex has added a year to his contract so that it will expire at the same time as his new DC and OC...

Time will tell, but I'm not buying that Woody is all in with Rex. I think he saw the total rebuild and figured he would focus on front office first. Rex was owed $6 million, so he propped him up for a year. If Rex was all in with owner, why are all the defensive coaches leaving? They smell blood in the water and aren't going down with Rex. If he gets extended, I'll eat crow, but he ain't. If the OC is hired before the GM, I'll also eat crow. If it's Cam or Hue, same thing.

Folks think that just because Woody propped him up at the presser, that means he's all in with Rex. What did you expect him to say? Also, it makes no sense to let Rex near the offensive system after the last 4 years. A new GM comes in to rebuild that side of the ball, all the while being able to coexist with Rex. If Rex rebounds, great, maybe he gets extended. If not, they've set the table for stability on offense and fire him next year. Folks think Rex has more power. He has less; that's why the outside firm was brought in and why his coaches are skipping town.

Time will tell, but I'm not buying that Woody is all in with Rex. I think he saw the total rebuild and figured he would focus on front office first. Rex was owed $6 million, so he propped him up for a year. If Rex was all in with owner, why are all the defensive coaches leaving? They smell blood in the water and aren't going down with Rex. If he gets extended, I'll eat crow, but he ain't. If the OC is hired before the GM, I'll also eat crow. If it's Cam or Hue, same thing.

Folks think that just because Woody propped him up at the presser, that means he's all in with Rex. What did you expect him to say? Also, it makes no sense to let Rex near the offensive system after the last 4 years. A new GM comes in to rebuild that side of the ball, all the while being able to coexist with Rex. If Rex rebounds, great, maybe he gets extended. If not, they've set the table for stability on offense and fire him next year. Folks think Rex has more power. He has less; that's why the outside firm was brought in and why his coaches are skipping town.
    No crow to eat if it does come to fruition... We all have our thoughts and opinions... To me if yours holds true, Woody is even dumber than I thought... I just hate the idea of a throw away year because you too cheap to eat Rex's contract. don't let money stand in the way of building a winner... If you think you need to move forward with a new coach you start now and with a good GM and HC combo... Time for me to pipe down and get ready to watch some playoff football!!!
    Last edited by Conkboy; 01-12-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Agree with you. I think they should have cleaned house and still do. But unfortunately, the money owed to Rex is probably a bigger deal to Woody than people realize.

Veteran
    Watching the press conference you could see that the theme was "starting fresh". Even Rex said that it feels like he just got hired all over again and Woody was sitting there nodding. Barring a total collapse next year (0-5 wins) I have a feeling Woody told Rex that he had 3-4 years to prove himself all over again. I don't think Woody has any intention of signing off on Rex getting fired unless next year is a disaster and I don't think it will be. This year our offense was one of the worst in the league led by the worst QB in the league and we still won 6 games. We probably could have won 3-4 more if we catch a couple of breaks. Our offense can only get better. Rex' defensive acumen will always keep us from not totally bottoming out and I think that's what Woody likes. He knows that if we can get a competent QB in here who can lead our offense to be above average that we can be in the playoffs year in and year out.

Jetsblog now reporting that woody may be down in Florida with Brian Gaine. Could be link to Pep Hamilton as they may have overlapped with Jets

And now David Lee on radar. Signs pointing to Gaine. Know Rex interviewed him last year, but again I don't think guys are coming here without some connection to the new management team

All League
    Jetsblog now reporting that woody may be down in Florida with Brian Gaine. Could be link to Pep Hamilton as they may have overlapped with Jets
    They did overlap. Gaine was in Jets scouting dept from 99-04; Hamilton was with asst coach with Jets from '03 - '05.