Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I don't care who we hire as GM....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rico View Post
    I think scouting is doing fine - Big Mo and Coples were fine picks. We also did very well in '06 and '07. The problem has been missing at the top of the draft and poor contracts. We've become very top heavy.
    Big Mo and Coples were all Rex..He demanded both.. He knows what hes doing picking the D, especially Dline but obviously needs help with the O. Im not saying stephen hill is a bad pick, but it should have been obvious he was a project because of the style of O his college ran. We had imediate needs not to be drafting projects in 2nd round, trading up in 2nd round especially. MT has given lost us so many picks.. Ducasse was another 2nd rounder high risk that failed..hopefully Hill pans out.. You see teams pick up a gem in the late rounds - Redskins rb morris was 6th round? Seahawks got a steal in wilson then another steal in late rounds.. Not the Jets.. Kerley was a very fine pick for 5th round? but is not a steal you see many teams getting.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every scout believes that the process doesn't get messed up until the coaches get involved. The scouting community comes to a general consensus on most players, then different coaches get really high on certain players, believing that they can "fix" the flaws that exist in their games. The draft board changes so much between the end of the season and draft weekend because that's when the coaches finally have the time to look at the guys that are coming out.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Bradway is actually regarded as one of the best scouts in the NFL.
    Says who? Back that up with a recent article

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    As long as his first order of business is to fire the scouting department.

Who is with me?
    First, why fire the scouts? do you know what grades they placed on the players vs the grades that the coaching staff made. What if the midwest scout thought Gholston was a bust, but Tanny and the coaching staff thought he was gold.

The new GM will have access to all the old scouting reports and have 20-20 hindsight to see how good (accurate) they were or were not.

he will can the ones with low batting averages and reward the one who were right.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Bradway is actually regarded as one of the best scouts in the NFL.
    This. It's the fact that the Tanny let Rex over-ride the scouting departments. Bradway knew Russell Wilson was going to be a good pro. Tanny and Rex went in a different direction.

Losing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Big Mo and Coples were all Rex..He demanded both.. He knows what hes doing picking the D, especially Dline but obviously needs help with the O. Im not saying stephen hill is a bad pick, but it should have been obvious he was a project because of the style of O his college ran. We had imediate needs not to be drafting projects in 2nd round, trading up in 2nd round especially. MT has given lost us so many picks.. Ducasse was another 2nd rounder high risk that failed..hopefully Hill pans out.. You see teams pick up a gem in the late rounds - Redskins rb morris was 6th round? Seahawks got a steal in wilson then another steal in late rounds.. Not the Jets.. Kerley was a very fine pick for 5th round? but is not a steal you see many teams getting.
    Hill was the correct pick. Look what he did in his first game as a pro. It was Sanchez and to a lesser extent Sporano that negated his progress. The guy was open an awful lot and Sanchez never looked his way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    As long as his first order of business is to fire the scouting department.

Who is with me?
    My dream job.. I can build a freakin Dynasty with SLEEPERS from Mid Rds. Like JDUB said bf SB3, I Guarentee it... thats wa i do!!! I would pack my bags rt now , on job 2morrw and would have jets winning SB in 2 yrs. cant wait!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Hill was the correct pick. Look what he did in his first game as a pro. It was Sanchez and to a lesser extent Sporano that negated his progress. The guy was open an awful lot and Sanchez never looked his way.
    Hill was the correct pick on a team that had solid #1 and #2 WR's and would have allowed him time to develop instead of throwing him out there wholly unprepared to be a #2.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Hill was the correct pick on a team that had solid #1 and #2 WR's and would have allowed him time to develop instead of throwing him out there wholly unprepared to be a #2.
    Well that is what they attempted to do by bringing in Schilens. Right philosophy, wrong player. Very wrong QB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Well that is what they attempted to do by bringing in Schilens. Right philosophy, wrong player. Very wrong QB.
    That's what I'm saying. Hill was brought into the wrong situation.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm ok with bradway, but let's not go crazy. He was the gm when we traded up for Dwayne Robertson and picked Bryan Thomas over Ed reed