Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The New NFL

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Im curious how you guys feel about this 'NEW' NFL ... where essentially it is no longer a battle offense vs defense, but rather a competition to see who can calculate a way to posses the ball one more time than your opponent. Defenses have been so marginalized that the game now resembles a computer RTS ... essentially a race.

38-35
    24-21 at the half

Id love to compare the average scores of todays games vs the games of the 80s and early 90s.

its ridiculous, and somewhat boring to watch IMHO. I have a sneaking suspicion that you are going to see a huge discrepancy between offense and defense as far as athleticism goes. As all teams realize that a football game is nothing more than an offensive exhibition, guys with the most athletic ability will migrate to the offensive side of the ball ... making the game even more unbalanced than it is today.

The sad thing is that the casual fan thinks its awesome.

=(
    I've been seeing this coming for a while. It's a league that is driven by the Fantasy Football market now. Impossible to play solid Defense because of all the pass interference, defensive holding and phantom helmet to helmet hits.

It's very sad, especially when you have a coach that wants to win with defense.

The almost total marginalization of Rushing and Defense in the NFL is a dissapointment. I always felt the league was best when there were a number of different routes to success.

Today, it certainly seems that there is only one, an elite playmaking QB and Wideouts, with at least a decent O-line. Everything else is of marginal importance, and Defense almost negligible.

But everything goes in cycles. The difference here is that the lague clearly wishes to promote the above style of play and has (IMO) partially ruined the game via rules that make the QB a protected almost Red-Jersey figure in games, and P.I. rules that are often laughable in the minor nature of the contact involved.

Such is life.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    This is the beginning of the end. First no polly hockey, then no dodgeball in gym, everybody wins.

Jets Insider VIP
    Add another game to that.

NFL sucks.

Sent from a phone using an app

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    far less enjoyable now. Arena football.
    Got to agree. This is now like the NBA and Nascar..Last second BS and the entire game means nothing except the last two minutes. Some of the most pathetic defense I have ever seen and you know what? It no longer matters. I hope they alter the rules or I think I will stop watching as much as I do and become a Playoff watcher. And they want to expand this clownfest.

Quote Originally Posted by usapaw View Post
    Got to agree. This is now like the NBA and Nascar..Last second BS and the entire game means nothing except the last two minutes. Some of the most pathetic defense I have ever seen and you know what? It no longer matters. I hope they alter the rules or I think I will stop watching as much as I do and become a Playoff watcher. And they want to expand this clownfest.
    Agree

The way it's going they might as well just make it 7 on 7.

Also its a myth that anyone can win in any different year it's the same damn teams year after year.It's becoming like the NBA where really 5 teams have a realistic shot to win it all

Waterboy
    This is the effect of the college spread offense making its way into the NFL. Combined with the heavy use of pass interference calls. The drop back passer is being phased out. Mobile quaterbacks that can run option plays are in. Defense is being marginalized by teams in favor of offense. I guess you need a defense that bends but doesn't break.
    Last edited by JETFAN290; 01-14-2013 at 02:01 AM. Reason: grammar

Dont worry guys as long as we have Mark Sanchez in NFL there will always be "great" defense to be played.