Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: There is no shortage of ways to examine these option QB's

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    tebow can be that guy here.
    Yes on a Jets message board. But not on an NFL field.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    You're talking about redesigning an entire offense to suit his strengths over a performance that, when viewed objectively, had major question marks. I'm sorry but you're not going to find many NFL coaches or execs willing to put their careers on the line for that. Lets be clear, nothing Tebow has ever displayed has looked anywhere near as good as kaepernick, RG3, Wilson, Rogers, or even Newton. Ever. Everything with Tebow is based on "hey just take a chance and see what he can do". That's not how the NFL works.
    Plus give Dc's a full offseason to digest gametapes of Wilson, RGIII and Kapernick I'm sure their running effectiveness will go down considerably. They for all intents will become more pocket oriented QB's. Tebow had a 10 game shelf life, once DC's gameplanned for him it was over - because he can't be a pocket QB.

All Pro
    Tebow led an offense that averaged 16 offensive points per game. If that's your definition of excellent then the debate stops there because there really is no discussion beyond that. It's an impossible discussion when that's your stance..

Well put! People seem to think Denver were strolling to wins with Tebow at the helm. Those wins were close, ugly, and when it came to a DECENT team the Broncos got destroyed.

Tebow led an offense that averaged 16 offensive points per game. If that's your definition of excellent then the debate stops there because there really is no discussion beyond that. It's an impossible discussion when that's your stance..
    Thanks for sharing what it takes to be a winning QB in the NFL. Nobody said it was "excellent". But according to your criteria any games won by a team that scored 18 points or less don't count. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJets4life View Post
    There it is.

There are other people that are way better at doing the things that he's known for doing well.

And they can already throw...
    So following your train of thought:

There are "pocket passers" or "elite QBs" that are way better than most of the other starting QBs in the league. Does that mean the rest of the QBs in the NFL should give up? No.

There are 32 starting QBs in the NFL and every QB can't be a Brady, Rodgers, Brees, or Kaepernick. Somehow these "inferior" QBs manage to win games. Maybe because it takes a TEAM to win - not just a great QB or star RB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    The fact that Rex ABSOLUTELY refused to play him this season, I find it hard to imagine Rex ever giving him a shot next year.

That said, if we go into next season with the trio of QBs that we currently have, the new GM needs to be fired.
    I'd fire WRECKS!lol There is no way we will have the same 3 QBs. Sanchez must go!
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 01-13-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post

Well put! People seem to think Denver were strolling to wins with Tebow at the helm. Those wins were close, ugly, and when it came to a DECENT team the Broncos got destroyed.
    Pittsburgh was more then decent! Try not to let your bias towards Tebow get in the way of facts! Who cares if a team wins ugly? The only important thing is winning!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Yes on a Jets message board. But not on an NFL field.
    Using your vast experience in these matters please explain to us why you feel as you do. Try not to be too technical.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Pittsburgh was more then decent! Try not to let your bias towards Tebow get in the way of facts! Who cares if a team wins ugly? The only important thing is winning!
    Pittsburgh were a beaten up and bedraggled team at that point. Much like the team that just went 8-8 this season.

And on this board, you'd normally be forgiven for thinking that winning ugly was WORSE than losing ...

Pittsburgh were a beaten up and bedraggled team at that point. Much like the team that just went 8-8 this season.
    Yet Pitt was also a 10.5 pt favorite.

I'm sure you knew better.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    Yet Pitt was also a 10.5 pt favorite.

I'm sure you knew better.
    If winning a game in the play offs against a heavy favourite makes you a good QB, then I guess we got two good ones ourselves!

Jets Insider VIP
    Wrong. Tebow was never given the chance to be terrible. There are a sh*tton of intangibles at the QB position and most of TT's are good. Before the season at Denver he was projected starter - then his camp was so bad the whisper was he was 4th or even 5th best QB in camp - and was only kept because they drafted him so high (in relative terms). Then he was 2nd string. Then he did an excellent job quarterbacking the Broncos.

No matter how bad Sanchez played, and he played worse than any QB in the league, Tebow was never given the chance for someone like you to call him "terrible" - because as far as his resume goes playing QB in the NFL - it's "excellent".

One start. One start in this miserable season, Tebow could have come out and gone 9/22 for 100 yds and 2 picks. And he would have earned the right for us to call him terrible. But he was denied that. All I can judge him on was what he did for Denver and Florida before that.

The whole thing pisses me off - the way Tebow was handled shows us more how bad a coach Rex Ryan is than about how good (or bad) Tebow is at QB.
    I don't give a sh*t about Tebow's intangibles.

I don't give a sh*t that he's a good christian boy who tries hard.

The kid can't throw a football.

End of story

All Pro
    Wrong. Tebow was never given the chance to be terrible. There are a sh*tton of intangibles at the QB position and most of TT's are good. Before the season at Denver he was projected starter - then his camp was so bad the whisper was he was 4th or even 5th best QB in camp - and was only kept because they drafted him so high (in relative terms). Then he was 2nd string. Then he did an excellent job quarterbacking the Broncos.

No matter how bad Sanchez played, and he played worse than any QB in the league, Tebow was never given the chance for someone like you to call him "terrible" - because as far as his resume goes playing QB in the NFL - it's "excellent".

One start. One start in this miserable season, Tebow could have come out and gone 9/22 for 100 yds and 2 picks. And he would have earned the right for us to call him terrible. But he was denied that. All I can judge him on was what he did for Denver and Florida before that.

The whole thing pisses me off - the way Tebow was handled shows us more how bad a coach Rex Ryan is than about how good (or bad) Tebow is at QB.
    Where do you get "excellent" from?

He was 7-4 in the regular season last year, and 1-1 in the playoffs.

He beat the following teams : KC, Oak, NYJ, Min, SD, Chi, Mia, Pit (playoffs)

He lost to the following teams : KC, Buf, NE, Det, NE (playoffs)

In TWO games TOTAL, he completed more than 50% of his passes.

If he is "excellent" - why did Denver dump him for a fourth round pick - surely they could have got more? Why did we never play him? And why has one of the worst teams in the NFL, with a glaring need at QB, already gone on record and stated they wouldn't sign him even if he was a free agent?

How can you possibly "figure out" that when you have a QB who can rush, you have one additional rusher on your team at any point in time, versus a traditional pocket passer?

There's nothing a defense can do to change that. They will always have to account for that. The only way to make it stop is if we go back to old rules and defenses put such a punishment that it proves their careers are short.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Tebow can't throw half as well as any of these guys. He's also not as fast in the open field.
    Exactly, what makes Wilson, RG3 and Kapernick so good is that they can pass from the pocket and are pretty accurate on their regular throws. Tebow has awful accuracy and he is too slow to escape from many DEs and LBs.

Tebow would make a GREAT back up to Wilson/Kaepernick/RG3 because he is serviceable in that system, but he cannot be your opening day starter.

He was 7-4 in the regular season last year, and 1-1 in the playoffs.

He beat the following teams : KC, Oak, NYJ, Min, SD, Chi, Mia, Pit (playoffs)

He lost to the following teams : KC, Buf, NE, Det, NE (playoffs)

In TWO games TOTAL, he completed more than 50% of his passes.

If he is "excellent" - why did Denver dump him for a fourth round pick - surely they could have got more? Why did we never play him? And why has one of the worst teams in the NFL, with a glaring need at QB, already gone on record and stated they wouldn't sign him even if he was a free agent?

Well, for one thing, he had more wins in a partial season last year than some starting QBs had this entire season. He definitely won more games in 2011 than Blaine Gabbert, Mark Sanchez or Greg McElroy did this year.

Rex's refusal to start Tebow for even 1 game was either the height of stubbornness or poor judgment, unless he was saving the secret weapon for this year LOL.
    Last edited by JaxSuzy; 01-13-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I don't give a sh*t about Tebow's intangibles.

I don't give a sh*t that he's a good christian boy who tries hard.

The kid can't throw a football.

End of story
    Thanks Dr. Mel, but by virtue of addition by subtraction (better at protecting football) - he would have won more games than Sanchez starting under center.

Am I saying he should have started week 1? No. But by week 9 he should have been given a shot b/c Sanchez solidly established himself as the worst QB in the league by then.

Yet people like you stay mad at the backup who never went in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Using your vast experience in these matters please explain to us why you feel as you do. Try not to be too technical.
    How about you use your vast experience to convince what 99% of us already know . Try not to be too negative - uh I'm sorry I'm talking to long time SOJF Kentucky Jet that's probably not possible.

Thanks Dr. Mel, but by virtue of addition by subtraction (better at protecting football) - he would have won more games than Sanchez starting under center.

Am I saying he should have started week 1? No. But by week 9 he should have been given a shot b/c Sanchez solidly established himself as the worst QB in the league by then.

Yet people like you stay mad at the backup who never went in.
    Except for the fact that Tebow is maybe 1 of only 2 or 3 BACKUPS that are actually worse than Sanchez, so no.

Coming off the bench to win football games for a losing team. He did a "excellent" job.

And what was the Jets story this year? Losing lots of game precisely from substandard play at the QB position. We likely would have salvaged a more formidable run at the playoffs with that QB switch to a Tebow - Sanchez's turnovers were the culprit in damn near every loss. We had more than enough D.

You guys are like a bunch of rainmen - just the thought of taking out Sanchez and putting in Tebow for a game in a futile season makes y'all flip the f*ck out like someone switching the channel away from Judge Wapner at snack time.