Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone actually think the Texans can beat the Pats?

All Pro
    For Houston to win I think JJ Watt has to play out of his mind and pressure Brady up the middle all day. It's been well documented the best way to effect Brady is to rush from the interior of the line and disrupt the pocket.

Getting Arian Foster and that running game going is crucial too, as Schaub has stunk for weeks (I don't know if he's injured or just choking but IMO the biggest difference during their collapse has been his play).

I think the biggest thing going for the Texans is the revenge/nobody believes in us factor.

That said, Pats are too good, too healthy. With the Broncos gone and the road to New Orleans going through Foxboro I have a hard time not seeing the Pats advancing to the Super Bowl.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    There isn't a snowball's chance in hell of Houston going into Foxborough and winning this game.
    Well, it's not like we haven't seen this act before.

Team runs away with the division easily, doesn't play a tough schedule, gets a bye, doesn't show up. The Jets themselves did this to the Chargers, Colts, and Patriots. It's not that uncommon.

Of the Patriots 4 losses, 3 are to playoff teams- 49ers, Seahawks, Ravens.

The Patriots beat only 3 playoff teams- Colts, Texans, Broncos.

Hmm. .500 against playoff teams, lost to the 3 best playoff teams, beat the 3 worst playoff teams.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    The D is truly great. Easily the best in the league. They got a huge lead and took the foot off the gas a little and Brady took advantage. It almost cost them, but if the Niners didn't get a huge lead, Brady would never have racked up those points.
    Great? 31 points given up and you can still be call great?

Nah...

A great defense is the '85 Bears, '86 Giants or the Ravens when Reed and Lewis were at their peek.

This is just a good defense, no more...

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

Team runs away with the division easily, doesn't play a tough schedule, gets a bye, doesn't show up. The Jets themselves did this to the Chargers, Colts, and Patriots. It's not that uncommon.

Hmm. .500 against playoff teams, lost to the 3 best playoff teams, beat the 3 worst playoff teams.

SAR I
    Yep. Let's examine Pats recent history against teams with good Ds in the postseason

2009 - Pats v. Ravens - Pats annihilated and embarrassed. In fairness, this is the worst Pats team under Belicheck and they were probably underdogs going in

2010 - Pats v. Jets - a historically great Pats team submits a complete no-show and is in many ways dominated by a team they beat 45-3 a few weeks before. Brady never looks comfortable and throws a pick on the first Pats drive

2011 - Pats v. Ravens - when a win feels like a loss. Brady again plays poorly and does everything he can to lose the game. Ravens need a dropped TD pass and a missed 32 yard FG to avoid even OT.

2011 - Giants v. Pats - Brady intentional grounding in the endzone on the Pats first play. I could go through more, but why torture Pats fans? Or should I? lol

I'd say Pats winning today is no better than 50/50

Why not? this is not the patriots of 04. The texans are a very good team, balanced on offense and with a god defense now that Joseph is back.
    The pats are favored and they should be, they are the better team but **** happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Yep. Let's examine Pats recent history against teams with good Ds in the postseason

2009 - Pats v. Ravens - Pats annihilated and embarrassed. In fairness, this is the worst Pats team under Belicheck and they were probably underdogs going in

2010 - Pats v. Jets - a historically great Pats team submits a complete no-show and is in many ways dominated by a team they beat 45-3 a few weeks before. Brady never looks comfortable and throws a pick on the first Pats drive

2011 - Pats v. Ravens - when a win feels like a loss. Brady again plays poorly and does everything he can to lose the game. Ravens need a dropped TD pass and a missed 32 yard FG to avoid even OT.

2011 - Giants v. Pats - Brady intentional grounding in the endzone on the Pats first play. I could go through more, but why torture Pats fans? Or should I? lol

That's torture? Torture is what the jets went thru last year. I don't expect to win every SB, or get to one. Each chance is a gift.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    A few things:

- The Ravens team coming into Foxboro next week if the Pats win, is nothing like the Ravens team the Pats' lost to on the road at the beginning of the season Rice was a much better rusher then. Webb was playing.
    - Also, thePats lost to both the Seahawks and Ravens on the road. Two of the hardest places to win in the NFL. Even then, the Pats lost by a combined 2 points (by one point to each team).

Again, did the Texans tag out and let a team with a really good defense play today you can actually make the argument the Pats' defense has played better than the Texans over the last month and a half.

Besides, the Texans' defense is not like any of the defenses mentioned. They rely heavily on the blitz and man coverage which Brady picks apart.

Also,you forget to mention that Brady was basically without Gronk for the Super Bowl. And I am pretty sure winning the AFCCG last year felt like a win. It sure did to me.

All League
    The Pats? yes

The Pats and the zebras? no

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    That's torture? Torture is what the jets went thru last year. I don't expect to win every SB, or get to one. Each chance is a gift.

I know I was pretty tortured when Brady completed 16 passes in a row in the Super Bowl. Brady didn't have a great game, but overall he wasn't bad.

I agree with the Super Bowl thing, but arguing the Pats have 50% chance to win today because the Pats WON the AFCCG last year is a little weak.

No way the NFL allows the Pats to lose. Prepare yourself for a myriad of yellow flags for phantom calls against the Texans.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
    Anything is possible I suppose, but this game looks like a repeat of what we saw earlier this year.

If Foster runs for two hundred yards and the Texans sack Brady 5 times, I still don't see a scenario whereby the Pats don't score at least 30 points.

Please, someone tell me with heartfelt conviction that they honestly believe the Texans can knock off the Pats.

Don't bash the thread. If there is anyone who feels this way, and at least one "expert" from the networks thinks the Texans will win. I'll have to see it to believe it and then watch the game a second time on replay.

Anyone?
    I do. If the Jets could do it, then the Texans could do it. Any given Sunday.

Jets Insider VIP

The PATS are as solid a team as still exists. basic math tells us the chances are less than 50 50 but as a JETS fan, I simply can't root for them. I also have gotten past the BS. They are a solid superior team that even without BRADY are a better team than us.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsPrisoner12 View Post
    No way the NFL allows the Pats to lose. Prepare yourself for a myriad of yellow flags for phantom calls against the Texans.
    Another loser Jet fans mentality. To them everything is a conspiracy in the NFL. I guess this is why the Jets haven't won anything over 40 years.

Rooting for Houston. Don't think they have much of a chance unless Watt messes up Brady's head early and often. (But we all know the refs favor Brady, so we should expect lots of flags against the Texans' pass rush.)

So far the better D is 5-1 so I am going to say yes. D still win championships when all is said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mai Shu View Post
    Another loser Jet fans mentality. To them everything is a conspiracy in the NFL. I guess this is why the Jets haven't won anything over 40 years.
    You're saying that the refs don't favor Brady? Really? I suppose they don't favor the Steelers either.

Jets Insider VIP
    Yes they can. Just like Jets did two years ago after getting soundly beaten by the Pats in their previous game. JJ needs to hammer Brady a few times early on. Could happen!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

No shot.

All Pro
    Nobody thought the Ravens had any chance against the Broncos....

How did that turn out?