Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone actually think the Texans can beat the Pats?

You'd think Jets fans would know better. Didn't we play out the exact same situation 2 years ago. Crushed by NE in December, come back to beat them in the playoffs.

Not saying Houston wins, but they certainly have a shot.

All League
    No one's gonna say it's not possible. But your also not going to find anyone to say it's likely. Not with heartfelt conviction. No one.

All Pro
    Oh hell Yeah! I do, and they will beat the Pats.

I think if I were Kubiak and Phillips, I would have studied the tape of the defense Rex used when the Jets beat the Pats a few years ago. Dropping 7-8 guys into coverage at times clearly frustrated Brady, and Texans have the horses to generate a pass rush while doing it. That game was easily Rex's best coaching job.The one negative the Texans face in doing that, their DB's are the weakest part of their defense. Either way, if you try to play them straight up, Brady will carve them up.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Yes, I do, I actually think they have a good chance. Brady hasn't played well in the playoffs against a good D since... I can't even think back that far... 2005 maybe?

Texans do everything you need to do in recent years to beat the Pats in the playoffs. Good D with a disruptive pass rush that can force Brady slightly off his game early. Great running attack. I have Pats 28-24, but I could easily see that going the other way.
    Brady did throw 6 TD against the Broncos last year. This overrated Texans defense (the Texans gave up 331 points this season which is the exact same amount the "horrible" Patriots defense) isn't much better than the Denver defense last year or this year's Pats' defense.

I think the Pats contain Foster and things get ugly by the 3rd qtr.

This is a bad matchup. The Pats have too many options on offense vs. that one dimensional Houston defense.

If the Texans get some lucky bounces, they might only lose by a td.

Did anyone think that we would beat the Patriots in the Playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    I think if I were Kubiak and Phillips, I would have studied the tape of the defense Rex used when the Jets beat the Pats a few years ago. Dropping 7-8 guys into coverage at times clearly frustrated Brady, and Texans have the horses to generate a pass rush while doing it. That game was easily Rex's best coaching job.The one negative the Texans face in doing that, their DB's are the weakest part of their defense. Either way, if you try to play them straight up, Brady will carve them up.
    There are a few problems with that.

- the Texan defense is not as good as the Jets' defense in 2010.
    - The Texans' defense is built on a strong front seven while the Jets were built on a strong secondary. The secondary other than Joseph are the weakness of their defense. Look at last week. If Dalton was a better QB, he would have passed for two more TDs last week with wide open receivers in the end zone
    - The Pats didn't have an outside threat or a good running game against the Jets. That strategy of flooding the center of field with only four men not dropped into coverage will open opportunities for Ridley and Lloyd.
    - Gronk was a rookie. He wasn't half the player he is today. That said, is he healthy?

The Texans could win, but not the way the Jets did.
    Last edited by Rob0729; 01-13-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

In his last 12 playoff games, Tom Brady is 6-6.

SAR I

I don't think the Texans will beat the Pats, and the Pats may get past the Ravens too, but we all know there's no way the Pats are beating the 49ers in the Superbowl so it will all be for nothing eventually. The Pats can't handle a strong defense, and their defense is going to get toasted by Kapernick so it will be a pretty good SB loss for the Pats again this year.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    It's very possible the Texans can beat the Pats.
    A sharp handicapper in Vegas said the other day that the Patriots are a vastly overrated team, so yes, they can win, definately cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
    Anything is possible I suppose, but this game looks like a repeat of what we saw earlier this year.

If Foster runs for two hundred yards and the Texans sack Brady 5 times, I still don't see a scenario whereby the Pats don't score at least 30 points.

Please, someone tell me with heartfelt conviction that they honestly believe the Texans can knock off the Pats.

Don't bash the thread. If there is anyone who feels this way, and at least one "expert" from the networks thinks the Texans will win. I'll have to see it to believe it and then watch the game a second time on replay.

Anyone?
    Reminds me of 2 years ago...Hopefully the Texans get payback like we did

Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    I don't think the Texans will beat the Pats, and the Pats may get past the Ravens too, but we all know there's no way the Pats are beating the 49ers in the Superbowl so it will all be for nothing eventually. The Pats can't handle a strong defense, and their defense is going to get toasted by Kapernick so it will be a pretty good SB loss for the Pats again this year.
    Did you watch the Pats vs SF game this year?

SF got a bunch of early breaks only to have their "strong" defense **** the bed...

What was 31-3, became 31-31 in a hurry.

I don't think it's a great defense... The best thing SF has going in their oline.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Can? Yes.

Will? No.

Yep, Schaub is a big-game fraud. He will be terrible overall, or make a critical mistake. Probably the former.

If Cushing was healthy I'd be a bit more optimistic.

As it stands, simply having to play in Gillette is brutal.

Can't see the Ravens winning there either. But I could see either the Niners or Seahawks beating the Pats soundly.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    In his last 12 playoff games, Tom Brady is 6-6.

SAR I
    Schaub's number is 8. Houston has been to the playoffs 2 times in franchise history. 8 - 2 = 6. Ergo, it would be 6-6-6.

And so it begins...the beginning of the end.

There isn't a snowball's chance in hell of Houston going into Foxborough and winning this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Did you watch the Pats vs SF game this year?

SF got a bunch of early breaks only to have their "strong" defense **** the bed...

What was 31-3, became 31-31 in a hurry.

I don't think it's a great defense... The best thing SF has going in their oline.
    The D is truly great. Easily the best in the league. They got a huge lead and took the foot off the gas a little and Brady took advantage. It almost cost them, but if the Niners didn't get a huge lead, Brady would never have racked up those points.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    It's very possible the Texans can beat the Pats.
    Two elite players in jj and foster..

U never know

Personally I don't see it happening but we all saw what Balt. did so I can't say it couldn't happen but it's not likely they'd beat the Pats as much as I'd like to see it happen.