Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Get ready for Brian Gaine

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Get ready for Brian Gaine

Jetsblog reporting woody in Florida. Has connections to both Pep Hamilton and David Lee. Search winding down. Starting to become clear

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like it. A former jet that wasn't linked to the kotite era. I thought Dallas had some pretty interesting drafts while parcels was there and gaine was part of that. I also like pep Hamilton. Some of these new college coaches are coming in and tearing up the nfl. I'm optimistic if this happens.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bleh. I want nothing to do with that dolphins team. They are garbage.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    And I just don't see any value in a GM that his protégée had to force beat reporters he knows to put his name out there as a candidate.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There have been many Woody sightings all over, so far it hasn't amounted to anything.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only candidate that knows afc east in and out

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's also a personell guy instead of a cap guy and I think that's a route we need to take.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to post to start looking for Woody' plane within the next 24 hours...

For those that use the "terrible hire, dolphins picks sux, talent sux"...He hasn't been the final decision maker...Again, his scouting reports could be 100% accurate but if the decision makers (Ireland, HC) go with who they want how is that Gaine's fault? Or if the coaching staff sux at developing the players that not the scouts fault

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know, Gaine was the director of player personnel For Miami... Can't say they have put such a great product on the field.

Also not sure if this is the strong GM type who will be calling the shots...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's cool with me

Gaine is my 2nd choice next to Popp.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    For those that use the "terrible hire, dolphins picks sux, talent sux"...He hasn't been the final decision maker...Again, his scouting reports could be 100% accurate but if the decision makers (Ireland, HC) go with who they want how is that Gaine's fault? Or if the coaching staff sux at developing the players that not the scouts fault
    It's his fault by not being persuasive. You're not any good at your job if you can't convince people to follow your advice. The only thing that matters is results. Who knows if his untaken advice was any good? You can't go by what somebody supposedly said and was ignored.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woody’s private plane is on the move again, according to FlightAware this time to Fort Lauterdale Florida scheduled for an 11:16AM landing just about 10 miles from the Dolphins practice facility at Nova Southeastern University.
    This will obviously lead to speculation as to whether this is for another interview with Miami Dolphins assistant general manager Brian Gaine. As Bassett notes, it could simply be a family member or friend looking to get to South Florida in January. Hopefully that is what it is.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/...tting-a-second

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh. And he was the assistant GM under Ireland. I don't know if you guys are aware of this, but Jeff Ireland is awful. Both at his job and as a person (reportedly). I don't want someone that learned under him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    I don't know, Gaine was the director of player personnel For Miami... Can't say they have put such a great product on the field.

While they have struggled, the dolphins did exactly what they should have and exactly what we need...they tore down their team and rebuilt it.

They have a QB they believe in, who btw, is a good enough athlete to run the read-option.

They have a great pass rusher in wake and a strong front 7

They have 30+ million in cap space, a first and 2 second round picks, and I believe not a single crushing contract given to a jackass like santonio holmes or a failure like sanchez.

For anyone who thinks the dolphins stink and gaine isnt qualified, you should probably first ask yourself how bad the dolphins really look if they open 2013 with their current team, plus greg jenninges/dwayne bowe, a FA lineman/healthy jake long, and 3 top 50 picks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post

According to tony Pauline on the draft sight the jets don't want a strong personality at gm. Here's a quote on why things went sour with Tom gamble.

Tony_TFY
    Administrator
    gets worse by the minute...it was told to me the Jets don't "want a strong personality" at the GM position- part of the reason things did not go well with Gamble...it was described to me as a "sh!t show"...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Dolphins' executive Gaine climbs up from the bottom

12:47 AM, May 31, 2011

When Brian Gaine was a fifth-grader and playing for the Orangetown Patriots, he rode the bench for most of his very first season in organized football. It could have been the end for him. He was scrawny, couldn't find his way onto the field and very nearly saw his career derailed before it ever got going.He didn't quit, though. Stayed with it. And in his second year, as a sixth-grader, he went from bench-warmer to a starting spot. "My football career took off from there," he says now, laughing.

Truth is, it has. And all along the way, whether it was in Pearl River or at Don Bosco High School or the University of Maine and on into the NFL and its team front offices, Gaine has followed the same script: Start at the absolute lowest point, grind and grind and grind some more before somehow, some way, finding a path to the top.

"Every step I've taken in football, I've started at the bottom and worked my way up," he says. "I've never known any other way."

Gaine is talking from his offices in South Florida. He has worked for the Miami Dolphins for four years, following one of his mentors, Bill Parcells, there when Parcells left the Cowboys for the Dolphins.

Recently, Gaine was promoted to director of player personnel, which means he oversees all potential player acquisitions, whether through the draft, free agency or anything else. Essentially, Gaine is constantly evaluating players, forever trying to decide whether a player is capable of helping the Dolphins win.

"If any player is honest with their skill set and their ability, you immediately see what is good and what is not and what is right down the middle," Gaine says. "From being a former player to now, once you come into the business and see how players are evaluated, it can be an eye-opener. It's comprehensive and expansive."

Fortunately for Gaine, he always reveled in the "cerebral" side of the game, he says. While some of his teammates at Maine might grumble about more video work or pregame scouting of the opponent, Gaine loved it.

He grew up physically at Don Bosco, going from a 6-foot, 150-pounder as a freshman to a 6-4, 220-pound tight end by graduation, but his mental development peaked at Maine. Playing under Kirk Ferentz (now at Iowa), Gaine devoured game plans and schemes and formations, soaking up as much knowledge as he could about how players and teams were judged.After graduation, he ended up on the Jets' practice squad in 1996 and the Giants' practice squad in 1997. Though he never played in a game in the NFL, he did have the opportunity to work out with former Giants tight end Mark Bavaro — a hero of Gaine's growing up — when Bavaro was a guest coach for the Giants.

"Just to be around him was amazing," Gaine says. "I was like a sponge just trying to soak it all up."

As it turned out, that might have been the high point of his playing career. Gaine tried again in '98, but was waived by the Chiefs before training camp and turned his attention to the next stage of his life. Even if he couldn't play, he had decided, he wanted to work in football anyway.

"I knew it would hard," he says. "But I also knew everything that I'd done before it had been hard."

It was always the same story. From string bean to standout at Bosco. At Maine, he'd been an afterthought as an underclassmen; by senior year, he was a captain. Now he was just going to do it again. He started with the Jets in the college scouting department in 1999, working his way up to pro scout and then assistant director of pro scouting by 2004.

"I still remember what (Parcells) told me when I became a pro scout," he says. "He said, 'The opportunity is all up to you now.' And it was. I had to make something of it."

He followed Parcells to Dallas in 2005, then stayed a year after Parcells left before heading to Florida. When he arrived, he was the assistant director of player personnel, and his only purview was pro scouting; with this promotion, he is the "umbrella," he says, over all the available prospects for the Dolphins.

It has been an amazing ride, one that started 14 years ago when Gaine's playing career ended. He was at the bottom then, just like he'd been so many other times before. Now he is near the top. Again. All that is left, really, is being a general manager, and Gaine hesitates when he's asked about it. Right now, he says, he just wants to be the best director of player personnel he can be. The future will take care of itself.

Finally he admits it would interest him, would be something he'd like to try someday. "But I wouldn't just want to be a general manger," he says. "I'd want to be the general manager of a champion."

He quotes Parcells again. "There's either winning or misery," he says.

"That's the way this business is. And if you want to win, the only way to do it is to work hard."

Gaine knows that better than anyone. Just look at his history. He's been doing it his entire life.

http://www.lohud.com/article/2011053...up-from-bottom

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    While they have struggled, the dolphins did exactly what they should have and exactly what we need...they tore down their team and rebuilt it.

They have a QB they believe in, who btw, is a good enough athlete to run the read-option.

They have a great pass rusher in wake and a strong front 7

They have 30+ million in cap space, a first and 2 second round picks, and I believe not a single crushing contract given to a jackass like santonio holmes or a failure like sanchez.

For anyone who thinks the dolphins stink and gaine isnt qualified, you should probably first ask yourself how bad the dolphins really look if they open 2013 with their current team, plus greg jenninges/dwayne bowe, a FA lineman/healthy jake long, and 3 top 50 picks.
    I don't care what they could be. I care what they are. And they're awful.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Gaine Promoted To Assistant General Manager

Posted Jun 28, 2012

In his new role, Gaine will continue to work closely with General Manager Jeff Ireland on the evaluation of players at the professional and collegiate levels as well as be responsible for administrative and scouting responsibilities in both of those areas and continue to oversee the Player Personnel Department. He will also have a more active role in the organization with Head Coach Joe Philbin and his staff, the football administration staff as well as other football operations related business.

“This is a very deserving promotion for Brian,” Ireland said. “He earned this position by not only his continued and unquestioned trust, loyalty and commitment to the Miami Dolphins organization, but by his continued efforts each and every day to strive for perfection. His attention to detail and professionalism has ultimately paid dividends to his growth and development and he will continue to be a very valuable member of the organization.”

Gaine enters his 15th year in the NFL and fifth with the Dolphins, joining the team on January 15, 2008. He served his first three seasons (2008-10) with Miami as the Assistant Director of Player Personnel and was promoted to Director of Player Personnel on April 21, 2011. During his tenure with the organization Gaine has been responsible for directing pro scouting operations for the team, including player evaluations on all professional levels, advance scouting, free agency and tracking player movement around the league. Gaine also participated in the evaluation of collegiate prospects in preparation of the NFL Draft.

Prior to his arrival in Miami, Gaine spent three seasons working with Ireland as the Dallas Cowboys’ Assistant Director of Pro Scouting (2005-07).

With Dallas, Gaine contributed to the Cowboys’ player acquisition process by managing pro scouting operations and evaluating players and rosters from the NFL and all other levels of professional football. Additional responsibilities included advance scouting, free agency preparation, tracking of player movement and directing the development of the Cowboys’ pro scouting database.

Gaine went to Dallas after spending six years (1999-2004) in the New York Jets’ Scouting Department, including serving as the Assistant Director of Pro Scouting in 2004. Prior to that promotion, he functioned as a pro scout for the Jets from 2001-03. In 2000, he was the Jets’ Manager of Pro Development/NFC where his duties included pro player evaluation and advance scouting as well as the scouting and tracking of players in other professional leagues such as NFL Europe, the Canadian Football League and the Arena League. Gaine began his personnel career as a member of the Jets’ college scouting department in 1999.

Prior to joining the Jets in a front office capacity, he served as a member of the team’s practice squad in 1996, while he also was with the Giants’ practice squad in 1997. He then signed and spent the 1998 offseason with the Kansas City, but was waived prior to the start of training camp.

Gaine attended the University of Maine from 1991-95 where he played tight end. He served as the Black Bears’ captain his senior season and earned his degree in public administration from the Orono, Maine school. Gaine grew up in Pearl River, N.Y., and attended Don Bosco Prep High School in Ramsey, N.J. He and his wife, Tricia, have a daughter, Kelsey, and sons, Ryan and Connor.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/ar...8-15774b78c361

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    He sucks. Has never been involved in a winning program.

Rex Ryan is the Devil.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guy has had a mediocre career. Then again, as I have said frequently, the Jets had no hope of getting the best man for the job, with the idiotic decision to keep Rex Ryan on board. Lets see what he can do in this dysfunctional environment.