Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 141

Thread: Tweets & News 1/13

  1. #81
    They know the backlash they will get if they hire Cohen. My guess is they hire Angelo or Khan. My personal guess is that they go with Khan. Disappointing a bit because he's not a personnel guy, but he does come from a winning organization and seems to be very smart.

    If they want a GM with personnel experience, they'll go with Angelo. People seem to forget that he was with the Bucs and helped build their SB roster.

    If they want a GM who can be just a bean counter, they'll go with Khan
    Last edited by Eckesg1; 01-13-2013 at 02:02 PM.

  2. #82
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    18,325
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    Jets plan to have follow-up discussions for GM job with former Bears GM Jerry Angelo, Jets assistant GM Scott Cohen and Steelers' Omar Kahn.
    As expected, it's not an impressive list from a talent evaluation standpoint. In salary cap hell, the Jets will apparently decide whether to promote one of their own execs, pick up a retread in Angelo, or bring in a cap expert in Khan.

  3. #83
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,639
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    That takes the number to 3 follow-up interviews now.

  4. #84

  5. #85
    Dan Leberfeld ‏@jetswhispers
    How would Schefter know somebody interviewed well? http://bit.ly/XwdZv2

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    They know the backlash they will get if they hire Cohen. My guess is they hire Angelo or Khan. My personal guess is that they go with Khan. Disappointing a bit because he's not a personnel guy, but he does come from a winning organization and seems to be very smart.

    If they want a GM with personnel experience, they'll go with Angelo. People seem to forget that he was with the Bucs and helped build their SB roster.

    If they want a GM who can be just a bean counter, they'll go with Khan
    My hope is that if they go with a guy like Khan is that he leans on the scouting department moreso than Rex. Considering he is an outsider he might do this. Additionally if he steals scouts from Pitt that would be nice. I was really hoping we'd get Gaine or Gamble. Slightly disappointed.

    Angelo is not nearly as bad as people are saying. But during his tenure as Bears GM i didn't love his drafts all that much. The resume is extremely good though. Just little concerned about that piece of information.

  7. #87
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,592
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Dan Leberfeld ‏@jetswhispers
    How would Schefter know somebody interviewed well? http://bit.ly/XwdZv2
    That's funny....especially coming from Leberfeld.

    Schefter is probably one of the most plugged-in, well respected, NFL investigative reporters there is right now.

    And Leberfeld? Well he's Leberfeld....LOL.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 01-13-2013 at 02:14 PM.

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Maybe he names Khan Team President and Angelo or Cohen GM
    That is an interesting scenario. Jed Hughes interviewed Khan for the Seattle position a few years ago as well, the fact that Khan was brought in for this search as well is a good sign.

    Although ideally I wanted a personel guy, I would be fine with the hiring of Khan. He comes from arguably the premiere organization in the sport so he should be able to provide Woody with guidelines about how this ship is supposed to be run. He would probably revamp the scouting department to reflect Pittsburgh's dept. He may even poach a couple of their front office guys to head the personel department for the Jets.

  9. #89
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,525
    The Jets will do as they see fit, and some will whine and cry no matter who is picked for what role. Whomever a consensus of dopey SOJFs are "unimpressed" with I want even more.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    My hope is that if they go with a guy like Khan is that he leans on the scouting department moreso than Rex. Considering he is an outsider he might do this. Additionally if he steals scouts from Pitt that would be nice. I was really hoping we'd get Gaine or Gamble. Slightly disappointed.

    Angelo is not nearly as bad as people are saying. But during his tenure as Bears GM i didn't love his drafts all that much. The resume is extremely good though. Just little concerned about that piece of information.
    Never considered that. He could bring some scouts from Pittsburgh to help find talent.

    That would be good.

  11. #91
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    The Jets will do as they see fit, and some will whine and cry no matter who is picked for what role. Whomever a consensus of dopey SOJFs are "unimpressed" with I want even more.
    That's because you settle for mediocrity. We understand.

  12. #92
    If they bring in Khan I hope it's with a personnel guy to help. For all of Tanny's faults he did manage the cap quite well in terms of how he structured contracts. There are tons of outs. The problem with him became assessing WHEN to use the out, aka when the player needs to be gone. The on huge mistake was the Sanchez contract, but other than that a lot of the deals have a unique structure that allows the team to continually have the OPTION of resetting.

    Ideal situation is a guy like Gamble who has experience in all of that. Another option might be Khan/Gaine or someone with personnel. W/o that, Khan might have the same issues Tanny did, JMHO.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    If they bring in Khan I hope it's with a personnel guy to help. For all of Tanny's faults he did manage the cap quite well in terms of how he structured contracts. There are tons of outs. The problem with him became assessing WHEN to use the out, aka when the player needs to be gone. The on huge mistake was the Sanchez contract, but other than that a lot of the deals have a unique structure that allows the team to continually have the OPTION of resetting.

    Ideal situation is a guy like Gamble who has experience in all of that. Another option might be Khan/Gaine or someone with personnel. W/o that, Khan might have the same issues Tanny did, JMHO.
    That's kind of my thing with Tanny. His contracts weren't the problem. The problem was who he was giving the contracts to.

  14. #94
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    They know the backlash they will get if they hire Cohen. My guess is they hire Angelo or Khan. My personal guess is that they go with Khan. Disappointing a bit because he's not a personnel guy, but he does come from a winning organization and seems to be very smart.

    If they want a GM with personnel experience, they'll go with Angelo. People seem to forget that he was with the Bucs and helped build their SB roster.

    If they want a GM who can be just a bean counter, they'll go with Khan
    Khan makes sense....he will let REX push him around on the draft side of the biz.

  15. #95
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Never considered that. He could bring some scouts from Pittsburgh to help find talent.

    That would be good.
    Anyone but Jerry Angelo. The game has passed him by.

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Khan makes sense....he will let REX push him around on the draft side of the biz.
    But if we combine Rex's wants with some scouts from Pittsburgh, we could be going in the right direction. Remember the last two drafts for the Jets have actually gone pretty well.

  17. #97
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,639
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    If they bring in Khan I hope it's with a personnel guy to help. For all of Tanny's faults he did manage the cap quite well in terms of how he structured contracts. There are tons of outs. The problem with him became assessing WHEN to use the out, aka when the player needs to be gone. The on huge mistake was the Sanchez contract, but other than that a lot of the deals have a unique structure that allows the team to continually have the OPTION of resetting.

    Ideal situation is a guy like Gamble who has experience in all of that. Another option might be Khan/Gaine or someone with personnel. W/o that, Khan might have the same issues Tanny did, JMHO.
    He did at one time. Who's responsible for the "cap hell" we're currently in?

  18. #98
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    But if we combine Rex's wants with some scouts from Pittsburgh, we could be going in the right direction. Remember the last two drafts for the Jets have actually gone pretty well.
    The Jets drafts on the offensive side of the ball have been atrocious for a long time. We need someone who can draft on both sides of the ball.

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    The Jets drafts on the offensive side of the ball have been atrocious for a long time. We need someone who can draft on both sides of the ball.
    In terms of skill positions, you're right.

  20. #100
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hauppauge, New York
    Posts
    1,512
    Khan in 2013, Cowher in 2014. Anything else on this list is a disaster.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us