Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Per Glazer Jets Calling Back GM Candidates that Turned Jets Down to Reconsider

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    At this point im about ready to hire Cohen,Cam Cameron, and David Lee, start Sanchez, go 1-15, blow up Florham Park and start over with a new GM, HC, and CLOWNEY.....
    FIXED!

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Agreed. Broncos go out and get peyton at end of his career and Elway is called a genius. Jets get Favre at end of his career and the Jets are a circus.

Jets opt to do Hard Knocks, they are a circus despite going to AFCCG that year, a number of other teams do it and no one cares.

I will grant SOJF's that bringing in Tebow was a "circus" like move, but that is just about the only thing that can be objectively considered a "circus" like move. Its just the crappy media guys like Manish that make the Jets appear to be a circus.

I think most GMs are smarter than worrying about that though and they are probably scared off by the salary cap situation and NO QB. If we had the exact same roster and Cap situation but had the first pick with a guy like Luck or RG3 available GMs would be knocking our door down.
    Manning led his team to a #1 seed.
    Favre became a sexting predator

Hard Knocks created this mind set that each individual had a voice....a separate voice with an opinion, opinions that have ripped apart the locker room yearly. Everyone thought they were a TV star, especially the classless clown coach who has hurt the Jets brand more than any other.

As far as the GM search....Wrecks has positioned himself as the top dog and any GM that comes in must defer to Wrecks. This hierarchy plan is clearly unacceptable to the strongest candidates with their own ideas of how an organization should be run. Clearly, the candidates are questioning the judgement of the owner first and foremost.
    Last edited by Redrew; 01-13-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    DD,were going to hire a GM this week, you might not like who we get. But that GM, is somebody who has worked with other teams and knows who the coach is. When i read some of these posts, you get the impression everybody has turned down a chance to interview for the job, which, of course is not true.

I don't think anybody has turned down interviews b.c of Rex or the cap. That is unprofessional. However, some of these guys will take interviews even if they do not plan on taking the job.

I just have a very hard time believing that the cap situation would scare any of these guys off. Year 1 is always a honeymoon and our roster is so bad that they will likely get 2 seasons before anyone expects anything.

Most GMs want to build a team and like the challenge. But in order to do that they must have their guys in place. If they don't believe in a HC that is being forced on them then they won't take the job. Just like every single play of a player's career is on film and evaluated so is every move and job of a FO exec. If they think they are not going to succeed in a certain situation, they will not put themselves in that situation. For most of them, they will get only one shot at being a GM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

So now we're begging people to take the job? Nice

DD

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I don't think anybody has turned down interviews b.c of Rex or the cap. That is unprofessional. However, some of these guys will take interviews even if they do not plan on taking the job.

I just have a very hard time believing that the cap situation would scare any of these guys off. Year 1 is always a honeymoon and our roster is so bad that they will likely get 2 seasons before anyone expects anything.

Most GMs want to build a team and like the challenge. But in order to do that they must have their guys in place. If they don't believe in a HC that is being forced on them then they won't take the job. Just like every single play of a player's career is on film and evaluated so is every move and job of a FO exec. If they think they are not going to succeed in a certain situation, they will not put themselves in that situation. For most of them, they will get only one shot at being a GM.
    When the N.Y Post puts a pic of Tebow on there backpage with the headline Tim Hobo, its no wonder some people wouldn't want to deal with that.Caldwell was always going to the jaguars, Heckert, who knows, media reports were about salary cap.

Rookie
    Wow!We are such a pathetic organization!If our idiot owner would have just canned both Tanny and Rex we would most likely have a competent GM in place right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    So now we're begging people to take the job? Nice
    Jeez. That's not even close to being true.

Tom Gamble, Russ Ball, John Idzik, Omar Khan, Jerry Angelo, Marc Ross, Brian Gaine, Jim Popp are all waiting and hoping for the Jets to call them and give them the job.

I freaking hate the media.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Inerseting tidbits:

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

Rex isn't what GM candidates are concerned with - their cap situation, personnel, QB and the circus turned a lot of candidates off

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini

Previous reports that the #Jets interviewed Russ Ball (Packers) and Jim Popp (Montreal) aren't true.

I would be most concerned with an idiot owner like Woody Johnson who is most concerned with making things a media circus thats why he forced Favre & Tebow

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...position-away/

Jets owner Woody Johnson is having a hard time finding a new General Manager. Per Jay Glazer of FOX, the team “can’t give the position away.”

Glazer says the Jets are calling back candidates who already have turned them down, asking them to reconsider. Meanwhile, guys they wanted who had other options (like Dave Caldwell and Tom Telesco) opted to go elsewhere.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

I do not believe any of these candidates would EVER state that they declined the job because of Rex and the perceived power structure that may be in place. Its much easier to cite the salary cap and roster limitations. You never know who you may have to work with again in the future, and blaming a HC as to why you are declining an offer isnt good business. I think that just because a candidate hasnt come out and said "I am not coming to the Jets because of Rex", doesnt mean that it is not affecting their decisions.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Jeez. That's not even close to being true.

Tom Gamble, Russ Ball, John Idzik, Omar Khan, Jerry Angelo, Marc Ross, Brian Gaine, Jim Popp are all waiting and hoping for the Jets to call them and give them the job.

I freaking hate the media.
    You're joking right?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    You're joking right?
    Why am I joking? Those are the candidates that the Jets interviewed and those are the candidates that are hoping to become the next GM of the New York Jets.

Those are the facts. So when the media paints the picture that the Jets "can't give away the GM job".. They are spewing utter nonsense and garbage.

I understand the Jets are being thorough with their GM search, and interviewing as many candidates as they can certainly supports that mandate.

But letting Jerry Angelo in the building should result in someone punching Woody in the face.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    Interesting that it isn't Rex. Glazer is the reporter I trust the most with the inside type info.
    Not really interesting. But understandable.

Glazer and Ryan are close friends.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Why am I joking? Those are the candidates that the Jets interviewed and those are the candidates that are hoping to become the next GM of the New York Jets.

Those are the facts. So when the media paints the picture that the Jets "can't give away the GM job".. They are spewing utter nonsense and garbage.
    I honestly didn't know if you were being sarcastic. Glazer's a respected info guy, I don't think he's making this up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    I think one thing should be made clear.

If the "circus" is keeping candidates away, it's not the Jets "circus".

It's the circus like atmosphere that the media creates.

Why would a GM want to come here, when there's a threat that reporters will follow him on vacation and snap pictures? Or try to dig into their personal lives to find something to create a story out of and further trump their "circus" story line.

The Jets aren't a circus, its the media.
    I don't recall a circus atmosphere when Mangini was HC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I never thought I'd admit this.

But i miss the tight ship Mangini ran while he was here.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I do not believe any of these candidates would EVER state that they declined the job because of Rex and the perceived power structure that may be in place. Its much easier to cite the salary cap and roster limitations. You never know who you may have to work with again in the future, and blaming a HC as to why you are declining an offer isnt good business. I think that just because a candidate hasnt come out and said "I am not coming to the Jets because of Rex", doesnt mean that it is not affecting their decisions.
    Perfectly said.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Oh please - this team has been mocked since Richard Todd - with only a few years of respite whenever the team does well and the press can't play that angle.

To any GM candidates, coaches and fans who can't stand the 'circus': GFY - there are 31 other teams to root for.

Banned
    I love how you guys think you know what the f*ck you're talking about when it comes to hiring a GM. You're all clueless about who is and isn't a good candidate. Stop pretending you know who and what is best for the Jets b/c you don't. Just like I don't. You don't work for the Jets and you never will. And that reason is simple, you don't know what the f*ck you're talking about. Stop listening to rumors and what other people who don't know sh*t either (Glazer, Schefter etc.) about the Jets and the GM search have to say. Twitter is the worst thing to ever happen to journalism. It's just a bunch of hacks making **** up or quoting sources that are distant relatives of somebody involved in the process. It's a joke.