Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Per Glazer Jets Calling Back GM Candidates that Turned Jets Down to Reconsider

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    Exactly. Why is it that most people don't realize this? I guess I understand if people not from the NY area don't get it, but everyone else should have more of a clue about these bozos. They will take a non story and blow it up and hound the team when they are on vacation after the season is over and most fans question the coach, not the slime bucket that followed him and his wife. The same people that complain and cover the Jets are the one's that create the circus. Just listen to any of the players and you'll figure this out. The ny media is all a joke of people that think what they write is overly important and are mostly a traveling circus themselves.
    People with half a brain understand that the media takes what you give them and blows it up.

If you're a franchise like the Giants, you skate through life and they sell you as "classy". If you carry yourself like Derek Jeter or Messier, they elevate you to god status. If you surprise people like Jeremy Lin, they'll make you instantly rich.

If you act like Isiah or ARod, they're going to make you public enemy #1. And if you act like a fool like Rex and co., they're going to run with that too.

Stop being naive. The circus atmosphere was created by Woody and Rex. It is the team culture. It's like catnip to the media. They love it. Of course they're going to push it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are they really calling back people who turned them down, or more likely, are they calling back everyone they liked that hasn't landed anywhere for a second interview. Even if some of them seemed seemed less than excited at the prospect of being Jets GM initially, maybe the team they were hoping for hired someone and now they became interested.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    People with half a brain understand that the media takes what you give them and blows it up.

If you're a franchise like the Giants, you skate through life and they sell you as "classy". If you carry yourself like Derek Jeter or Messier, they elevate you to god status. If you surprise people like Jeremy Lin, they'll make you instantly rich.

If you act like Isiah or ARod, they're going to make you public enemy #1. And if you act like a fool like Rex and co., they're going to run with that too.

Stop being naive. The circus atmosphere was created by Woody and Rex. It is the team culture. It's like catnip to the media. They love it. Of course they're going to push it.
    Actually this so called circus began with Hard Knocks - which so many people on the board loved. Now they are complaining. You reap what you sow.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    You get 2 chances in the NFL. Head coach, GM, starting QB. You get 2 shots, that's it.

No reason to knowingly burn 1 on an impossible team in an impossible situation.

SAR I
    And unless you jump at the opportunity, you may never get another one.

Idzik, Gamble, Popp, Gaine, etc

Not all of these guys are going to end up as GM's.

There are only 32 of these jobs and only 2-3 of them are open every year on average. Not to mention that young scouts and personell guys are constantly being added to front offices around the league.

So you really think that these hot names of the present are going to pass up on opportunity that they may never get again? So the next generation of hot names can pass them over?

I seriously doubt that.

Any sporting franchise based in New York is attractive. How the hell is that even debateable? A ton of these guys dream about doing this thing on the biggest stage possible.

And what bigger stage is there than NYC?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Exactly.

I asked earlier (rhetorically) if the Jets were a circus when Mangini was the HC. No one responded.

The circus came to town when Rex Ryan was named HC and he began his reign with bluster and sound bites. Just the way he likes it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    That's common sense

Rex Ryan is only seen as a plague by whiny ass New Yorkers who want to run your ass out of town if you don't win a championship within 3 years.

The same retards who wanted to run Coughlin and Eli out of town as recently as 13 months ago.

Some of you guys are acting like Rex is just an abortion of a coach that no one is willing to work with. Based on what exactly? Your own personal opinions that he's a clown?
    The average lifespan of an NFL head coach is 3 seasons. Rex Ryan is guaranteed Season 5.

Jets fans aren't impatient. If there's one thing we're expert at its sniffing a bad head coach from a mile away seeing how we lead the NFL in that department.

And who did we want gone, exactly? Parcells? Loved the guy. Groh? Was a surprise he was let go. Mangini? Most didn't want him gone until those last three games, didn't really think that Woody was even thinking of making a move.

Your false perception of "Jets fans wanting guys gone too soon" boils down to Herman Edwards, and those of us who wanted him gone after Year 3 were right. He was awful.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Actually this so called circus began with Hard Knocks - which so many people on the board loved. Now they are complaining. You reap what you sow.
    And that was the perfect storm for an attention whoring HC who likes to hear himself talk.

I don't recall the other Hard Knocks teams drawing nearly as much attention to themselves.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The average lifespan of an NFL head coach is 3 seasons. Rex Ryan is guaranteed Season 5.

Jets fans aren't impatient. If there's one thing we're expert at its sniffing a bad head coach from a mile away seeing how we lead the NFL in that department.

And who did we want gone, exactly? Parcells? Loved the guy. Groh? Was a surprise he was let go. Mangini? Most didn't want him gone until those last three games, didn't really think that Woody was even thinking of making a move.

Your false perception of "Jets fans wanting guys gone too soon" boils down to Herman Edwards, and those of us who wanted him gone after Year 3 were right. He was awful.

SAR I
    Correct... We continue to consistently come up short with Rookie Head Coaches... Some of that is because we only give them 4 years to succeed. While I would prefer a HC with previous experience, Woody decided to go with Rex. If my three options are:

1. Keep Rex
    2. Hire a HC with previous experience
    3. Hire another rookie HC

I go with 1 or 2 only... History shows us that 3 has never worked for us!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Inerseting tidbits:

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

Rex isn't what GM candidates are concerned with - their cap situation, personnel, QB and the circus turned a lot of candidates off

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini

Previous reports that the #Jets interviewed Russ Ball (Packers) and Jim Popp (Montreal) aren't true.
    Who told us they were interviewed - some d-bag on twitter? WTF - are we the last team to hire a GM?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not buying any of this. These guys knew exactly what the situation is before they even agreed to an interview. This is just another case if the media stirring the pot.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Jets are calling back GM candidates that turned them down and asking them to reconsider...

No link..Just passing what I heard on FOX pregame...
    ive been saying it from day 1. a GM will not want to come here not being able to name his own coach right from the begining. and on top of that, all the cap problems the jets have. its a bad job to take.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Might as well make Rex the GM. It appears he is going to make the decisions anyway.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    It started on Day 1 during his first press conference. Rex "I'm not here to kiss Belichick's rings" Ryan probably can't go a day without telling you how tough he is.

We shoulda known then. What other coach talks like that? Thinking it is fine. But keep your fat fukin mouth shut. Instead, he goes on to dress up in costumes at press conferences and make outrageous guarantees.

Real teams make statements with actions, not words.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    ive been saying it from day 1. a GM will not want to come here not being able to name his own coach right from the begining. and on top of that, all the cap problems the jets have. its a bad job to take.
    First of all this is not the first time an HC has been in place before the GM. Secondly - why bother interviewing if you have a problem with Rex being part office deal, especially when you know this prior to the interview?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    Rex being here should not be a detraction for a new GM. If the Jets suck next year, Rex gets all the blame. The GM would have a free year to get acclimated and then bring in his own guy. I have no idea where this mentality comes from that a GM needs a clean slate from the beginning.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    And there's no proof that it is. It's all baseless speculation on your part. And on top of that, all of the evidence has said otherwise.
    Thats my point genius. No reputable candidate is going to say publicly if Rex was the reason or not.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Roots View Post
    Might as well make Rex the GM. It appears he is going to make the decisions anyway.
    Works for me. I want Jadeveon Clowney and that will assure a 2-14 record, the #1 pick and Rex's exit..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Works for me. I want Jadeveon Clowney and that will assure a 2-14 record, the #1 pick and Rex's exit..
    We should just consider forfeiting every game next year to make sure we get him...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Thats my point genius. No reputable candidate is going to say publicly if Rex was the reason or not.
    Plenty of people talk. And you're just using Rex as the reason because you want to see him gone.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    What kind of f*cking idiot would turn down a big promotion, a big salary increase, and the opportunity to run a New York sports franchise just because they have to work with Rex for a year?

I honestly can't believe that so many of you actually believe this silly sh*t.
    You really think that a top quality GM candidate is just going to jump at the first offer even if he doesnt feel comfortable with the situation? A qualified GM candidate who is confident in his abilities is going to go where he thinks he will have success.

Besides, what makes you believe that Rex is only going to be here for one more year? Just looking at this situation, I tend to think that Woody is going to let Rex coach through his current contract.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 01-13-2013 at 06:31 PM.