Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 232

Thread: Per Glazer Jets Calling Back GM Candidates that Turned Jets Down to Reconsider

  1. #101
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,539
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    I never thought I'd admit this.

    But i miss the tight ship Mangini ran while he was here.
    The problem is that we went from one extreme to the other.

    We need to hire Joe Torre as a media consultant. He was the master. He could talk for an hour and say absolutely nothing. And the media was satisfied.

  2. #102
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    First of all, I want nothing to do with any candidate that is concerned about the cap. Any decent one would understand that after 2013 (a rebuilding year anyway), the cap situation is actually very good. It's so overblown it is ridiculous. Draft well, and your cap will course correct. Forget about free agency unless its to fill minor holes.

    Second, it makes no sense to say Rex isn't a concern, but the circus is. Rex and the circus are one and the same. Don't blame the media. They don't seem to bother any other team in NY as much. Same thing happened up in Boston with the Red Sox the past 2 years. If you lose control of your clubhouse and your own mouth, you're going to pay the price. By the way, that same Boston media has restricted access to the Patriots. No circus there, is there?
    +1

  3. #103
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Let's please stop pretending that the Tebow nonsense was our only problem. This was a circus long before the idea of bringing Timmy here ever entered anyone's head. Rex's bravado, his guarantees, his bickering with opposing players, insults to guys like Norv, his lost locker room, his issues with his assistant coaches, his costumes, YouTube videos, etc. all have nothing to do with Woody or the media.

    These are all created by Rex. Tell me what other coach in the league generates this much noise around his team. Please.
    Peyton Manning wanted no part of the Jets and that was before Tim Tebow.

  4. #104
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    the media is all bashing the jets. sad state of affairs considering i dont think the jets actually know what they are doing.

    an organization in disarray for 44 years and counting......
    It's hyperbole, they've all bought in.

    Heckert and Dorsey were considered, neither was ever a serious candidate because of their ties to Reid and the Chiefs.

    Only candidate to say "no thanks" was Jimmy Raye. Caldwell was another but he was never a serious candidate, was in Jax, and probably just interviewed with Jets for leverage. Other that, nobody is reporting who these supposed candidates are that have turned down the Jets.

    The salary cap angle doesn't make sense either, because that clears up after the first year of the new GM's tenure, if anything, it buys that prospective GM an extra year.

  5. #105
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    well considering hes choosing the new gm and has woody wrapped around his finger it could actually work.
    Please provide a link to where it says Rex is choosing the GM.

  6. #106
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I do not believe any of these candidates would EVER state that they declined the job because of Rex and the perceived power structure that may be in place. Its much easier to cite the salary cap and roster limitations. You never know who you may have to work with again in the future, and blaming a HC as to why you are declining an offer isnt good business. I think that just because a candidate hasnt come out and said "I am not coming to the Jets because of Rex", doesnt mean that it is not affecting their decisions.
    QFT.

  7. #107
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Oh please - this team has been mocked since Richard Todd - with only a few years of respite whenever the team does well and the press can't play that angle.

    To any GM candidates, coaches and fans who can't stand the 'circus': GFY - there are 31 other teams to root for.
    There's a difference between being mocked and having a circus atmosphere.

    Most teams who aren't successful are mocked by local media.

  8. #108
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Every single GM that has ever taken over a team with a bad cap situation.
    That wasn't the only reason given. It was a combination of things.

    I don't think what you just said is true, either. Proof of that?

    Edit: Your post was BS:

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012...t-cap-strategy

    The only team with a GM opening that has a ****ty cap situation, other than the Jets, is the Panthers. And the Panthers at least have a QB, which automatically makes that a better job than the Jets job. KC and Jacksonville have a good cap situation.
    Last edited by detectivekimble; 01-13-2013 at 04:23 PM.

  9. #109
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Please provide a link to where it says Rex is choosing the GM.
    I'm sure that was tongue and cheek but the presser with REX sure makes it appear that REX has more say in management than most HCs.


    that is not what a solid GM is signing up for.

  10. #110
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I do not believe any of these candidates would EVER state that they declined the job because of Rex and the perceived power structure that may be in place. Its much easier to cite the salary cap and roster limitations. You never know who you may have to work with again in the future, and blaming a HC as to why you are declining an offer isnt good business. I think that just because a candidate hasnt come out and said "I am not coming to the Jets because of Rex", doesnt mean that it is not affecting their decisions.
    And there's no proof that it is. It's all baseless speculation on your part. And on top of that, all of the evidence has said otherwise.

  11. #111
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    And there's no proof that it is. It's all baseless speculation on your part. And on top of that, all of the evidence has said otherwise.
    There is no evidence one way or the other because what sec101 said is true.

    No GM candidate is going to come out and say they didn't take the job because of Rex Ryan.

  12. #112
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,510
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    There is no evidence one way or the other because what sec101 said is true.

    No GM candidate is going to come out and say they didn't take the job because of Rex Ryan.
    What kind of f*cking idiot would turn down a big promotion, a big salary increase, and the opportunity to run a New York sports franchise just because they have to work with Rex for a year?

    I honestly can't believe that so many of you actually believe this silly sh*t.

  13. #113
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    There is no evidence one way or the other because what sec101 said is true.

    No GM candidate is going to come out and say they didn't take the job because of Rex Ryan.
    Jordy, you have a report from Glazer saying it's not true. You're choosing not to believe the facts because you want Ryan gone. If there were stories leaking out that said otherwise, you'd be all over them. You don't have ONE IOTA of evidence, not even a suggestion, that Rex Ryan is stopping a potential GM from taking this job.

    So, at this point, you guys are just making **** up.

  14. #114
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5,040
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    heres an idea hire rex ryan as the gm and bring in a head coach and an offensive coordinator.

    this would be a better scenario.
    As stupid as this idea is---one can never underestimate the stupidity of Woody Johnson.

  15. #115
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    What kind of f*cking idiot would turn down a big promotion, a big salary increase, and the opportunity to run a New York sports franchise just because they have to work with Rex for a year?

    I honestly can't believe that so many of you actually believe this silly sh*t.
    +1

  16. #116
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    What kind of f*cking idiot would turn down a big promotion, a big salary increase, and the opportunity to run a New York sports franchise just because they have to work with Rex for a year?

    I honestly can't believe that so many of you actually believe this silly sh*t.
    I guess the same idiot who would turn down the same position because of the cap situation. Considering that's a part of being a GM, managing the cap.

  17. #117
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Jordy, you have a report from Glazer saying it's not true. You're choosing not to believe the facts because you want Ryan gone. If there were stories leaking out that said otherwise, you'd be all over them. You don't have ONE IOTA of evidence, not even a suggestion, that Rex Ryan is stopping a potential GM from taking this job.

    So, at this point, you guys are just making **** up.
    You must have missed all the posts that indicated that Ryan and Glazer are close friends? Which is true. Not because it was posted.

    Considering that he's the only guy who's actually come out and said Rex isn't the reason is quite telling.

  18. #118
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Think about it: Rex is the best thing for an incoming GM. If the team sucks next year Rex gets all the blame and the GM gets a free year to study the situation and bring in his own guy. It really isn't a detraction for a new GM.
    Bingo! And neither is the salary cap. It allows a potential GM to ask Woody for a longer contract because there is more cleanup work to do and less pressure to win early. Anyone who is allegedly turning this down because of "salary cap issues" is a fool and small-minded.

  19. #119
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
    Bingo! And neither is the salary cap. It allows a potential GM to ask Woody for a longer contract because there is more cleanup work to do and less pressure to win early. Anyone who is allegedly turning this down because of "salary cap issues" is a fool and small-minded.
    So why do you think they're turning down the job?

  20. #120
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    758
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    So why do you think they're turning down the job?
    -being force fed Rex
    -Woody's circus
    -salary cap
    -offense is a mess
    -Woody is an awful owner


    take your pick. Anybody who thinks otherwise isn't paying attention to reality.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us