Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Per Glazer Jets Calling Back GM Candidates that Turned Jets Down to Reconsider

Jets Insider VIP
    It is Rex. Wake up people.

Perhaps, The Jets called Decosta and Heckert again to re-guage interest.

The negative spin aside. The Jets have interviewed nearly a dozen different people for the GM job thus far and if they offered the job to any of those guys. They would take it. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    I think one thing should be made clear.

If the "circus" is keeping candidates away, it's not the Jets "circus".

It's the circus like atmosphere that the media creates.

Why would a GM want to come here, when there's a threat that reporters will follow him on vacation and snap pictures? Or try to dig into their personal lives to find something to create a story out of and further trump their "circus" story line.

The Jets aren't a circus, its the media.
    Agreed. Broncos go out and get peyton at end of his career and Elway is called a genius. Jets get Favre at end of his career and the Jets are a circus.

Jets opt to do Hard Knocks, they are a circus despite going to AFCCG that year, a number of other teams do it and no one cares.

I will grant SOJF's that bringing in Tebow was a "circus" like move, but that is just about the only thing that can be objectively considered a "circus" like move. Its just the crappy media guys like Manish that make the Jets appear to be a circus.

I think most GMs are smarter than worrying about that though and they are probably scared off by the salary cap situation and NO QB. If we had the exact same roster and Cap situation but had the first pick with a guy like Luck or RG3 available GMs would be knocking our door down.

Hall Of Fame
    This is what happens when you force a HC on people. I don't care what Glazer says. The cap situation is an easy PC target.

Common sense.

Many of us have been worried about this since the beginning.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-13-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    I think one thing should be made clear.

If the "circus" is keeping candidates away, it's not the Jets "circus".

It's the circus like atmosphere that the media creates.

Why would a GM want to come here, when there's a threat that reporters will follow him on vacation and snap pictures? Or try to dig into their personal lives to find something to create a story out of and further trump their "circus" story line.

The Jets aren't a circus, its the media.

Good point. I totally forgot that the media brought Brett Favre, Tim Tebow, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Antonio Cromartie, Rex Ryan (am I missing any other headline-grabbing players or coaches?) here to the Jets. Why didn't we realize all along that our GM is Rich Cimini? It all makes sense now.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Agreed. Broncos go out and get peyton at end of his career and Elway is called a genius. Jets get Favre at end of his career and the Jets are a circus.

Jets opt to do Hard Knocks, they are a circus despite going to AFCCG that year, a number of other teams do it and no one cares.

I will grant SOJF's that bringing in Tebow was a "circus" like move, but that is just about the only thing that can be objectively considered a "circus" like move. Its just the crappy media guys like Manish that make the Jets appear to be a circus.

I think most GMs are smarter than worrying about that though and they are probably scared off by the salary cap situation and NO QB. If we had the exact same roster and Cap situation but had the first pick with a guy like Luck or RG3 available GMs would be knocking our door down.
    Let's also not forget that Gamble supposedly turned down a 2nd interview with the Jags because he REALLY wanted the Jets job, but then the Jets didn't like him.

Glazer is just as guilty for promoting the circus story line as anyone else. His newest information just completely ignores this report from last week - because this report doesn't fit into the circus story line.

All League
    Panthers are in cap hell, much worse than the Jets.

With due respect

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    With all due respect, you have no facts to back up that statement. There haven't been even any media reports, that Rex is the reason. Only one candidate has turned down the Jets, Tom heckert, and its been widely reported that he had concerns about the cap situation, and QB position

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    With all due respect, you have no facts to back up that statement. There haven't been even any media reports, that Rex is the reason. Only one candidate has turned down the Jets, Tom heckert, and its been widely reported that he had concerns about the cap situation, and QB position
    Funny thing is yesterday, all the CBS football analysts were bashing Rex making fun of how Woody said Rex is sophisticated (which was obviously a poor choice of words by Woody) Dan Marino, Shannon Sharpe were ragging on Rex saying what has he done as a HC to warrant Woody Johnson's loyalty and keep his job as HC and to my surprise - the one person to step up and defend Rex and say "Well he did take them to back to back AFC Championship games and that's pretty good.....was none other then........

Bill Cowher. That really surprised me.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 01-13-2013 at 01:56 PM.

I dont believe things are as bad as its being made out to be, but lets be honest, we are all kidding ourselves if we think this is a "desirable job" compared to some others.

Forget Rex, as it is most likely 50-50 if a guy wants him here or not.

After that its a complete mess.

We need to find up to 9 starters given the amount of cuts/FAs we have, yet we dont have a ton of money or extra draft picks to do that.

We are gonna pay a bad QB $8 million in 2013.

We have a top 5 defensive player, coming off a devastating injury who will be the first player in the history of modern free agency to be completely unrestricted, oh and he has a history of holding out and not accepting anything less then absolute top dollar.

We have an owner with little football acumen whatsoever who has never been lauded as being great to work with nor does he have a good track record in business in general.

There will be an impending media circus in NY with the SB being here next year and the very real possibility that it will be a complete disaster with some blame falling on both the Jets and Giants as hosts.

This is not a great situation for any incoming GM, but someone will "take the plunge" here. Lets hope its someone young who will realize this will take time and patience to get fixed

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

Jets are calling back GM candidates that turned them down and asking them to reconsider...

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Does this bother anyone else?

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    the media hates the jets is this even true?

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by REDDOG2004 View Post
    Please Please Pretty Please reconsider being the next scapegoat for all our dysfunctional decisions.

Signed Woody & Rex TLA

We said pretty please.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Think about it: Rex is the best thing for an incoming GM. If the team sucks next year Rex gets all the blame and the GM gets a free year to study the situation and bring in his own guy. It really isn't a detraction for a new GM.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    This team and organization is a joke!!!

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Inerseting tidbits:

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

Rex isn't what GM candidates are concerned with - their cap situation, personnel, QB and the circus turned a lot of candidates off

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini

Previous reports that the #Jets interviewed Russ Ball (Packers) and Jim Popp (Montreal) aren't true.
    First of all, I want nothing to do with any candidate that is concerned about the cap. Any decent one would understand that after 2013 (a rebuilding year anyway), the cap situation is actually very good. It's so overblown it is ridiculous. Draft well, and your cap will course correct. Forget about free agency unless its to fill minor holes.

Second, it makes no sense to say Rex isn't a concern, but the circus is. Rex and the circus are one and the same. Don't blame the media. They don't seem to bother any other team in NY as much. Same thing happened up in Boston with the Red Sox the past 2 years. If you lose control of your clubhouse and your own mouth, you're going to pay the price. By the way, that same Boston media has restricted access to the Patriots. No circus there, is there?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    None of these candidates are going to take a shot at Rex. Very few people in the NFL publicly criticize anyone, especially if they are looking to advance their careers. The cap and QB situation are easy excuses, they don't offend anyone.

The cap situation will cost us one season and Revis (which might scare people bc nobody wants to come in a trade the franchise player and have the fans turn on them). After that we will be in good shape. The first year is a honeymoon year anyway. Draft a QB in 2014 and move on. We will likely suck for a couple of years. 2015 is when things will start counting for the new GM.

The real problem is Rex. These candidates feel like they will have to fight the owner to fire him if he fails again and then they will be at odds with the owner which is not a good thing for them. The Jets job does not look like a long-term job b.c of that.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-13-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    None of these candidates are going to take a shot at Rex. Very few people in the NFL publicly criticize anyone, especially if they are looking to advance their careers. The cap and QB situation are easy excuses, they don't offend anyone.
    Exactly.

Nice to see someone else figure out what's going on; it's tiresome being the only smart one around here.

"Cap situation" is code for "Rex Ryan? F-ck that".

SAR I