Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you really believe NO ONE wants to be our GM? I don't.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    NOT TRUE

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

Rex isn't what GM candidates are concerned with - their cap situation, personnel, QB and the circus turned a lot of candidates off
    That's the publicly stated reason. But everyone knows the Jets cap improves tremendously after 2013. It's 2013 that Tannenbaum royally f'ed up. So the cap is really a one-year disaster, assuming no additional cap issues are created this year. These GMs want to be in charge. They want to put their own stamp on the team. The way to do that is by bringing in your own guys and having them report to you, particularly the head coach. On the Jets, essentially, the new GM will be reporting to Rex. Yikes. That's ass-backwards and these guys are running like hell from it. From what we all learned over the past 2 weeks is that Rex is calling most of the shots and is given final say because for some reason our moron owner thinks Rex is outstanding, even with personnel.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't think a GM will have an issue coming into a team with a cap and QB issue as long as he can implement his vision without meddling from the owner. Maybe Woody is giving off a Jerry 'the control freak' Jones vibe in the interviews (?)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Poor old SOJFs

They think there's a parallel connection between their whining here and reality

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's simple. It's very easy to detect the BS meter if you simply use facts.

The Jets have interviewed a lot of different candidates for their GM opening and each one of them would accept the job if offered to them. Simple as that. They all came in bringing their A game hoping to get hired for the position.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a new thread for every response to another thread?? Ridiculous!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    why would they all take the interview for a job that dont want? its complete bs. This front office guys make shh!t compared to players and we see how greedy players are going where top dollar is.. We are suppose to believe this guys will turn down multi-millon dollar contracts to be the man in charge to go back being #2 or #3 guy and making peanuts?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is just the same old crap the media loves to pull on the Jets. Any other team interviews countless candidates and they get praised for not rushing things and doing their due diligence. The Jets, however, get no such accommodations, so no matter what they do, they'll get piled on for their decision.

Not saying there aren't concerns. Tannenbaum, for all his contract and salary cap know-how, has really left us in a bind. GM candidates aren't concerned about being handcuffed by Rex, or even Woody, but rather by the moves they won't be able to make because of how all the salaries are tied up.

But what bugs me most is that, while all these football geniuses point and laugh at how guys like Dave Caldwell spurned the Jets for the Jaguars, nobody says anything anymore about Tom Gamble, a guy who was a hot commodity just a few weeks back and who the Jets seem to have rejected, not vice versa.

Could the Jets hire Tom Gamble today if they wanted to? Jim Popp? Sounds like they absolutely could and simply aren't high on those guys. So don't try to sell us this BS that the Jets "can't give the job away."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody reports that Popp has openly said he wants the job. Nobody reports the Jets turned down Gamble.

It just gets to the point where the Jets are reported in the media differently than 31 other teams. Outright lies and half truths, and nobody stands up from the jets and calls B.S. So the spin gets even nastier and nastier. Can you imagine a Mark Cuban or Jim Irsay let their team be openly laughed at in the media?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    Don't think a GM will have an issue coming into a team with a cap and QB issue as long as he can implement his vision without meddling from the owner. Maybe Woody is giving off a Jerry 'the control freak' Jones vibe in the interviews (?)
    Don't buy into the media hype on the Jets current "cap mess". The Jets are really 11.3 million dollars under the cap. Come the start of the new league year. That's simply done by cutting backup tackle Jason Smith, backup safety Eric Smith and starting veteran linebackers Calvin Pace and Bart Scott.

That's without re-structuring any deals or cutting any other players like Tim Tebow etc.... The QB is the big issue, who to draft, who to trade for and who will be the guy. That's the Jets biggest problem for anyone who takes the job.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Nobody reports that Popp has openly said he wants the job.
    http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...444/story.html

Popp told The Gazette the Panthers weren’t the only NFL team this winter he had been approached by, stating two other teams expressed interest in him as a potential GM. Indeed, the New York Daily News reported Popp is on the New York Jets’ radar. Although the paper stated it wasn’t known whether an interview has been scheduled, a source familiar with the process told The Gazette Popp already has met with team officials.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    everybody hates the Jets except a few of us.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    Jay Glazer on the Fox pregame show just said that no one wants to be the Jets GM. He said the Jete are going back to the candidates who turned them down and are begging them to reconsider.

Could this possibly be true?

There are only 32 GM positions and only a few open up each year. I can't believe there are no takers. This reeks of bull**** to me and is starting to piss me off! I think the media is making things up to have a story. No one really knows what is going on. It's all speculation.

What say you?
    What it says is that New York isn't the destination, dream job it used to be.

And that's unfortunate. Because it still is.

Perception is reality though.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No GM will take a job when they are given conditions from the owner. Telling a GM that they have to keep a coach whether its Rex or somebody else tell theGM that they do not have full control.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    Jay Glazer on the Fox pregame show just said that no one wants to be the Jets GM. He said the Jete are going back to the candidates who turned them down and are begging them to reconsider.

Could this possibly be true?

There are only 32 GM positions and only a few open up each year. I can't believe there are no takers. This reeks of bull**** to me and is starting to piss me off! I think the media is making things up to have a story. No one really knows what is going on. It's all speculation.

What say you?
    AGREED.

Most of this speculation is exactly what I just said it was - speculation.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest problem for the Jets is the New York media. It always will be

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    It's simple. It's very easy to detect the BS meter if you simply use facts.

The Jets have interviewed a lot of different candidates for their GM opening and each one of them would accept the job if offered to them. Simple as that. They all came in bringing their A game hoping to get hired for the position.
    per Michael Kaye, The Jets made Caldwell a handsome offer and drove him around to show him real estate in the area. Instead he goes to the team with the tarped upper deck.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we are down to Jerry Angelo and Scott Cohen as reported (and maybe Khan), doesn't that prove that nobody wants this job?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I were Woody Johnson, I would have moved the team to LA.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are probably 10 guys out there that want the job, figure 1/2 of them the jets don't want. the other 1/2 may have an issue with control over the HC or
    woody reluctance to say he wont get involved ala farve and tebow.

I can't believe it is just because of a one year cap situation or having to keep rex for one year. It has to be something with power.