Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do you really believe NO ONE wants to be our GM? I don't.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if the candidates want TOTAL control over the roster and have voiced the desire to trade Revis and/or Cro etc and Woody said no or something.

It's weird we don't have a GM yet.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Loving all of it. I hope NO ONE wants the job and Woodrow needs to reconsider his purchase.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll take the job. So no

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO I believe that all GM candidate's have said if Rex stays phuck U.
    Last edited by Dreaming Daddy; 01-13-2013 at 08:38 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I wonder if the candidates want TOTAL control over the roster and have voiced the desire to trade Revis and/or Cro etc and Woody said no or something.

It's weird we don't have a GM yet.
    The roster and the power to fire and hire the HC and the whole FO.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjets1969 View Post
    No GM will take a job when they are given conditions from the owner. Telling a GM that they have to keep a coach whether its Rex or somebody else tell theGM that they do not have full control.
    Jerry Reese for 1 says hello.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Jerry Reese for 1 says hello.
    Good one.

The Chiefs and Browns just hired new head coaches before hiring their GM's. Browns still haven't.

KornFerry, the firm that is conducting the Jets current GM search helped Seattle hire John Schneider as GM while Pete Carroll was the head coach.

The Panthers just hired David Gettleman as their GM with Ron Rivera already in house as the head coach.

These are just recent examples. It's not like the Jets current setup hasn't been done before.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    No matter what there will always be candidates just for tripling salary and benefits package. Four years as a GM and you are set for life, including retirement package, 401K, Bonus' etc.

No way.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if people are turning down the job but I hear the Jets put an add in Craigslist for GM..

(jk )

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    GM jobs don't exactly come alone often. I don't think this team is in a rush to higher anyone. You have until the SB before you can do any real moves. Your coach is still hiring his staff. Maybe they want someone from a team that hasn't been eliminated yet. They did interview John Idzik of Seattle. I don't think they can higher him yet. Maybe now that Seattle is out he will be the new higher. If they get him I'd be thrilled. Has ties with the JETS and has been around football his whole life.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I don't buy that silly sh*t for a second.

As you said, there are only 32 GM positions in the league and I'd say maybe 2-3 on average become open every year.

You're telling me that some up and comer would turn down a huge promotion, a huge salary increase and an opportunity to run a New York franchise simply because they have to deal with Rex for a year?

LOL

How retarded are some of you people?
    Bingo!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    But does every candidate know who has the power to fire Rex after this year, prior to the interview?

What if the GM wants to take the full cap hit this year, cut holmes, cut sanchez etc and tank the year and the owner says no and he want to give Sanchez another shot?

Just because Rex is a good defensive coach, who cares? He is a HC not a co-od. He is excellent at X and Os but how is he in bringing young kids along?
    I think that is a huge factor in this process. Does the GM have the power to fire Rex after this year if he bombs out? At that presser, Rex was talking as if he was a brand new coach for the Jets.

So is Woody telling the GM candidates that Rex has to at least finish out the remaining two years of his contract? That would turn off A LOT of GM candidates...basically having no say over a HC for at least two years!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not going to pretend I know what these positions pay but I for can say that if I am "an up and coming" executive for a successful program, I would not give up the perks of having a well paying job, job security, and my future potential employment just to jump at the first opportunity.

By taking on a GM position, you have to look at what the Average NFL team offers, and then compare that to what the Jets have to offer.

Let's look at Tom Gamble for instance.

At SF, he works for an organization that has one of the brightest stars in the league at QB. Exceptional GM, exceptional HC. An organization that will be VERY good for the foreseeable future.

With the Jets, an owner that comes across as clueless. A situation that is going to take a long time to rebuild, the whole time not knowing what the owner's expectations are going forward. Maybe Woody actually thinks this team will be a playoff contender next year. We currently have the worst offense in the league with no viable solution going forward. Lame duck coach, no QB, no offensive skills ayers that would start for any decent team in the league.

So would taking the Jets job and the increase in pay and stature be worth losing all your job security, uprooting your family and moving them across the country.

Or you can stay and excell in your current job and get interviewed for the next round of GM openings.

Let's not assume that all these candidates would jump at our opening because it is an absolute fact that that is not the case. Heckert turned down our interview and he didn't even have a job lined up.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I'm not going to pretend I know what these positions pay but I for can say that if I am "an up and coming" executive for a successful program, I would not give up the perks of having a well paying job, job security, and my future potential employment just to jump at the first opportunity.

By taking on a GM position, you have to look at what the Average NFL team offers, and then compare that to what the Jets have to offer.

Let's look at Tom Gamble for instance.

At SF, he works for an organization that has one of the brightest stars in the league at QB. Exceptional GM, exceptional HC. An organization that will be VERY good for the foreseeable future.

With the Jets, an owner that comes across as clueless. A situation that is going to take a long time to rebuild, the whole time not knowing what the owner's expectations are going forward. Maybe Woody actually thinks this team will be a playoff contender next year. We currently have the worst offense in the league with no viable solution going forward. Lame duck coach, no QB, no offensive skills ayers that would start for any decent team in the league.

So would taking the Jets job and the increase in pay and stature be worth losing all your job security, uprooting your family and moving them across the country.

Or you can stay and excell in your current job and get interviewed for the next round of GM openings.

Let's not assume that all these candidates would jump at our opening because it is an absolute fact that that is not the case. Heckert turned down our interview and he didn't even have a job lined up.
    I guess it really depends what motivates the particular individual. If your content staying in a job , due to job security , family obligations or the fact that your in a winning organization then chances are you'd refuse an interview at all ala DeCosta in Balt.

If your motivated at becoming a GM and have the chance to totally put your face on the map by turning around a bad situation then you'd probably jump at the opportunity. I'd have to think there's many guys who would like the opportunity , hopefully we'll all know the answer shortly.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a hard time believing the Jets cant find a GM.

It's not even like there's so many spots available. The only organization we have to beat out is Cleveland, which has been a basket case organization pretty much forever while the Jets have been an above average NFL franchise the last 15 years, notwithstanding the last 2 poor years.

That would suggest that multiple guys are turning us down not because they can finding jobs with better franchises, but rather that they are all making the conscious decisions to remain in lesser positions for lesser pay in the hope that maybe a better position opens up in some future year.

That is extremely unlikely. 1 or 2 may be confident enough to roll the dice and wait for just the right opening, but the majority are more likely to jump at the chance to finally be the GM of an NFL franchise, knowing there is no guarantee another such opportunity comes along next year, or ever. Once the top 2 or 3 candidates came off the board, it was far more likely that the Jets were the ones doing the rejecting than the other way around.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Good one.

The Chiefs and Browns just hired new head coaches before hiring their GM's. Browns still haven't.

KornFerry, the firm that is conducting the Jets current GM search helped Seattle hire John Schneider as GM while Pete Carroll was the head coach.

The Panthers just hired David Gettleman as their GM with Ron Rivera already in house as the head coach.

These are just recent examples. It's not like the Jets current setup hasn't been done before.
    Yes, but it doesn't matter...everything the Jets do is wrong....the sooner you understand that the better....I suggest you stop posting facts and follow suit with the media and sheep and bash the team...Please do us all a favor and leave us under our rain cloud where we belong....

Thanks

TFine

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    They have setup the new GM for failure right off the bat.

Why would someone willingly retard their own career to come here? This is why no one wants the job.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    I have a hard time believing the Jets cant find a GM.

It's not even like there's so many spots available. The only organization we have to beat out is Cleveland, which has been a basket case organization pretty much forever while the Jets have been an above average NFL franchise the last 15 years, notwithstanding the last 2 poor years.

That would suggest that multiple guys are turning us down not because they can finding jobs with better franchises, but rather that they are all making the conscious decisions to remain in lesser positions for lesser pay in the hope that maybe a better position opens up in some future year.

That is extremely unlikely. 1 or 2 may be confident enough to roll the dice and wait for just the right opening, but the majority are more likely to jump at the chance to finally be the GM of an NFL franchise, knowing there is no guarantee another such opportunity comes along next year, or ever. Once the top 2 or 3 candidates came off the board, it was far more likely that the Jets were the ones doing the rejecting than the other way around.
    This is on target. I agree there's a handful of stud candidates who finally get a GM offer, but it's from a team with some issues, and they'll take a pass. Most guys I'd think know they might not ever get another chance.

FWIW I'm guessing Sanchez and the whole cap situation is hurting us more than Rex when it comes to hiring.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    Yes, but it doesn't matter...everything the Jets do is wrong....the sooner you understand that the better....I suggest you stop posting facts and follow suit with the media and sheep and bash the team...Please do us all a favor and leave us under our rain cloud where we belong....

Thanks

TFine
    LOL

I don't see the media stating that The Bears, Cards,Chargers,Jaguars and Eagles "can't give away" their head coaching jobs. The Eagles knew that Andy Reid wasn't coming back in late November and they haven't hired anyone yet. The Bears have interviewed 13 different candidates and haven't hired anyone yet.

The media is not concerned with facts. "The Jets are a cap mess". They will actually be 11.3 million under the cap come the start of the league year when they cut two backup players(Jason and Eric Smith) and two aging veteran players(Pace and Scott). That's without cutting any other potential players(Tebow) or before restructuring any other deals.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    LOL

I don't see the media stating that The Bears, Cards,Chargers,Jaguars and Eagles "can't give away" their head coaching jobs. The Eagles knew that Andy Reid wasn't coming back in late November and they haven't hired anyone yet. The Bears have interviewed 13 different candidates and haven't hired anyone yet.

The media is not concerned with facts. "The Jets are a cap mess". They will actually be 11.3 million under the cap come the start of the league year when they cut two backup players(Jason and Eric Smith) and two aging veteran players(Pace and Scott). That's without cutting any other potential players(Tebow) or before restructuring any other deals.
    By most reports the Eagles have already been turned down by 4 coaches and anther signed with someone else while they where courting Chip. No one wants that job because final say on players goes threw a GM that knows 0 about NFL talent.