Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Advantages/Disadvantages to Scott Cohen as GM

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

The Advantages/Disadvantages to Scott Cohen as GM

Initially, The appearance of Scott Cohen as a candidate to replace Mike Tannenbaum seemed like a token interview to a loyal soldier. Now it is looking like a real possibility that the Jets are going to stay in house and elevate from within.

The elevation of Scott Cohen is not going to inspire any of the Jets fan base. Jets fans were really looking for the team to go into a new direction. Promoting Cohen to GM keeps the organization at status quo. Not surprising considering Woody Johnson's actions since becoming owner in 2000. The leftovers from the Parcells regime specifically Mike Tannenbaum and the organizational structure have remained in place since Woody took over as owner. Up until now.......... By elevating Scott Cohen, very little changes.

There are advantages and disadvantages towards keeping Cohen in house as the new GM. The main beneficiary is Rex Ryan. With Cohen as GM, The 2013 Jets will remain his team under his vision. An outsider could have come in and pushed for his agenda. Cohen and Ryan can continue working together under a new capacity. Rex's coaching staff will be his and his alone. One last chance for Rex to get the ship righted and deliver on his promises. If he fails, It will all fall on Rex's shoulders.

With Cohen as GM, The scouting department and vision remains the same and the house cleaning takes place in house with people who are familiar with the cap and roster structure and team vision.

It also sets the stage quite frankly for a complete organizational overhaul in 2014 if the Jets are a complete failure in 2013. Rex Ryan, Scott Cohen and the entire Jets coaching staff and scouting department will not survive a poor 2013 season. It will be time to reset the organization completely. Hiring an outsider to come in and be GM like Jerry Angelo puts the franchise in a situation where the team doesn't really start to take on a new vision until a years time. The situation with the Jets is already very cluttered with all the changes, departures and defections and Woody Johnson may see the elevation of Scott Cohen as a move towards stability.

In my opinion, Woody Johnson should have thanked Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum for their efforts and started over in this current offseason. It was time to go in a new direction. The Jets are clearly not going in a new direction. This is still Rex Ryan's team atleast for one more year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    It saves Woody Johnson $ and we can fire him a year from now without ruffling NFL feathers.

Sign this Least.

SAR I

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    It saves Woody Johnson $ and we can fire him a year from now without ruffling NFL feathers.

Sign this Least.

SAR I
    It certainly doesn't help the perception that Woody is cheap.

When I see you post on this board. At times, I question whether or not, You are a legitimate Jets fan and not some troll who revels in the Jets failures. I am going to take you at face value as a cliched overly negative Jets fan. There are plenty of those and with good reason for the most part.

I hope that I am wrong but Rex Ryan is a dead man walking. He's not going to take the Jets to the promise land. I am a fan of his as a person and I actually like him as a coach. I don't see him in the same light as you and many others do. I do think that his run is over. It's for a variety of reasons, not having a good QB certainly hurts your chances to win big in this league but the team's demise in recent seasons has a lot to do with Rex's coaching and leadership of the team. Woody should have closed the chapter on this era. He's hanging on for dear life and so is Rex Ryan.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

Sign this Least.

SAR I
    Exactly.

In a year our cap situation will look better and hopefully by then Rex will not be a mandate.

Or by then things might be soo bad that the league steps in and forces a great candidate to become the GM. Kind of like what MLB did with the Mets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    know this is old news but would like to know what side Cohen took on the russell wilson debate.. Seems MT and co laughed bradway out of the draft room when he was very high on the qb.. Jokingly nicknaming him "Russell Bradway" "draft Wilson??? hahaha we have mark sanchez" lol...

http://nfltraderumors.co/the-jets-we...ussell-wilson/

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    know this is old news but would like to know what side Cohen took on the russell wilson debate.. Seems MT and co laughed bradway out of the draft room when he was very high on the qb.. Jokingly nicknaming him "Russell Bradway" "draft Wilson??? hahaha we have mark sanchez" lol...

http://nfltraderumors.co/the-jets-we...ussell-wilson/
    I would like to know as well. That's the problem. Nobody on this board really understands the truth or the dynamics in the front office. We are all speculating. But, if somebody has a twitter account they should tweet Jay Glazer and ask him what he knows about it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not just keep Tannenbaum then? If that's the whole point of all this, keeping Tannenbaum would have had the same results.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are no advantages to hiring from within. None.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Denver was eliminated last night and their offensive coordinator McCoy is getting phone calls to interview for head coaching jobs. Curiously, the Oakland Raiders have not received any phone calls asking for permission to interview their coaches for head coaching jobs. Shockingly, the phones are also silent in Jaguar offices because their coaches are not in demand, even though they will be dismissed.

Most NFL organizations that are not sickly do not promote/hire people from unsuccessful organizations. They tend to want to promote from places of success. They are crazy that way.........
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-13-2013 at 03:13 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If its true that no one wants to come here I'm reAdy to welcome Cohen as gm of the jets. Who's withme?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post
    If its true that no one wants to come here I'm reAdy to welcome Cohen as gm of the jets. Who's withme?
    It's not true that no one wants to come here.

There are 8 different candidates that have interviewed for the Jets GM job and are hoping to be offered the job. This idea that the Jets "can't give away the GM job" is utter nonsense and garbage.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    the only advantage of hiring Scott Cohen is it would keep the likes of Jerry Angelo, or worse, Matt Millen from landing the job.

Everything else is just static.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    okay...thus far the jets have lost sutton and pettine to be the dc's of other teams so apparently the jets have been doing something right on defense. and thruman would have been out the door to a promotion had the jets not given him the dc job.

the offense has been the terrible side and i don't see where it is strictly a personnel problem. imo schitty really set this group back first under mangini by being an inept oc and then furthering the myth under rex with sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    So Denver was eliminated last night and their offensive coordinator McCoy is getting phone calls to interview for head coaching jobs. Curiously, the Oakland Raiders have not received any phone calls asking for permission to interview their coaches for head coaching jobs. Shockingly, the phones are also silent in Jaguar offices because their coaches are not in demand, even though they will be dismissed.

Most NFL organizations that are not sickly do not promote/hire people from unsuccessful organizations. They tend to want to promote from places of success. They are crazy that way.........

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Initially, The appearance of Scott Cohen as a candidate to replace Mike Tannenbaum seemed like a token interview to a loyal soldier. Now it is looking like a real possibility that the Jets are going to stay in house and elevate from within.

The elevation of Scott Cohen is not going to inspire any of the Jets fan base. Jets fans were really looking for the team to go into a new direction. Promoting Cohen to GM keeps the organization at status quo. Not surprising considering Woody Johnson's actions since becoming owner in 2000. The leftovers from the Parcells regime specifically Mike Tannenbaum and the organizational structure have remained in place since Woody took over as owner. Up until now.......... By elevating Scott Cohen, very little changes.

There are advantages and disadvantages towards keeping Cohen in house as the new GM. The main beneficiary is Rex Ryan. With Cohen as GM, The 2013 Jets will remain his team under his vision. An outsider could have come in and pushed for his agenda. Cohen and Ryan can continue working together under a new capacity. Rex's coaching staff will be his and his alone. One last chance for Rex to get the ship righted and deliver on his promises. If he fails, It will all fall on Rex's shoulders.

With Cohen as GM, The scouting department and vision remains the same and the house cleaning takes place in house with people who are familiar with the cap and roster structure and team vision.

It also sets the stage quite frankly for a complete organizational overhaul in 2014 if the Jets are a complete failure in 2013. Rex Ryan, Scott Cohen and the entire Jets coaching staff and scouting department will not survive a poor 2013 season. It will be time to reset the organization completely. Hiring an outsider to come in and be GM like Jerry Angelo puts the franchise in a situation where the team doesn't really start to take on a new vision until a years time. The situation with the Jets is already very cluttered with all the changes, departures and defections and Woody Johnson may see the elevation of Scott Cohen as a move towards stability.

In my opinion, Woody Johnson should have thanked Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum for their efforts and started over in this current offseason. It was time to go in a new direction. The Jets are clearly not going in a new direction. This is still Rex Ryan's team atleast for one more year.
    the one and only reason to promote cohen!!!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Hire the guy who shares responsibility in the current mess. It's so stupid it's brilliant!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I
    In my EVERYONES OPINION EXCEPT WOODY, Woody Johnson should have thanked Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum for their efforts and started over in this current offseason. It was time to go in a new direction. The Jets are clearly not going in a new direction. This is still Rex Ryan's team atleast for one more year.
    Fixed

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not true that no one wants to come here.

There are 8 different candidates that have interviewed for the Jets GM job and are hoping to be offered the job. This idea that the Jets "can't give away the GM job" is utter nonsense and garbage.
    I know everyone is saying that this is one of 32 and all that. So if that's true, then the only reason we don't have a GM yet is because Woody can't find someone qualified.

Which is the biggest load of crap.

Week one: we reached out to Gamble, Ross, Heckert, Dorsey, Polian, Caldwell, and Cohen

Week two: because we were shunned by Dorsey and Heckert, Polian declined everyone, and apparently Ross and Gamble were not good enough. So we reached out to Telesco, Gaine, Khan, Angelo, Idzik, and MAY have reached out to or talked to Raye, Ball, and Popp. And today I hear we are talking to Sundquist.

Is it at all possible that SOME of these candidates are interested but only if Woody pays a premium, either with an year or two on the contract or some extra $ because the rebuild is going to require at least two years to get started?

It's obvious to me that Woody wouldn't know a Competant GM if Ted Thompson or Dimitroff came in for interviews.

What the hell is he looking for and if this job is so attractive, why hasn't it been filled yet? No one can tell me none of these candidates are good enough for Woody.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    woody is a mess!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Advantages of Scott Cohen

He will work cheaper than an outside candidate, blow Woody, suck Wreck's feet and not fire anyone in the FO. He will continue the tradition of the team being a NFL farm team where players and coaches put in a good year, stat wise, and then sell themselves in the FA market to the highest bidder. Like La Ron Landry.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    hot garbage kick him to the curb