Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: Pete Carroll is in the witness protection program!

  1. #21
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,381
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Much more valid point. Prevent the FG attempt in the first place, no need to "ice".

    (As an aside, why did Atl rush to take THEIR timeout, so that after the kick there'd be enough time for a kick off and a Hail Mary play??? )
    Both those teams' coaching was subpar yesterday, it's like they were both trying to lose. Mike Smith won despite himself. I've always said (well not always but at least once) the Falcons were a coach away from a SB.

  2. #22
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love if Carroll got fired. I would greatly enjoy not having to see his stupid face anymore or listen to his "NO WORRIES BRAH, WE'LL GET IT, WE'RE CHAMPIONS" rah-rah bull****.

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,381
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    The whistle came in well before the kick, and if anything the atl kicker could have been flagged for delay of game for actually kicking it. I would guess that is what Carroll was upset about.

    The falcons should have tried for another few yards. Roll Ryan right, have two options crossing towards the sidelines, if neither are there throw it away. But good clock and field mgt is too much to expect in the NFL these days, the falcon's coach is lucky the kicker made the fg.
    That's what I was asking during the game - why try for a 49 yd field goal when it's first down and at least IIRC 17 seconds? Mike Smith finally won a playoff game, not by winning but the other team losing.

  4. #24
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,651
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    That's what I was asking during the game - why try for a 49 yd field goal when it's first down and at least IIRC 17 seconds? Mike Smith won despite himself.
    Because **** happens. One blown blocking assignment can result in a tackle for loss, sack, or worse, a fumble, and the game is over.

    Mike Smith knows he's got a clutch kicker who is very reliable indoors at 49 yards. He made a conservative choice and it paid off.

  5. #25
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,962
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    It wasn't that he called the timeout (because if he hadn't, he would have been criticized for NOT calling a TO). The problem was WHEN he called it. I've always heard that you want to call the timeout BEFORE the kicking team is set and before the kicker has a chance to take a practice kick. Carroll waited too long.
    This. The whistle came well before the ball was snapped, and then kicked. Carroll was angry because he basically got a free practice kick that should have backed the team up for delay of game.

    Similar to what happened in Denver, actually, with the kicker sneaking on during the break to take a practice kick.

  6. #26
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,962
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    I would love if Carroll got fired. I would greatly enjoy not having to see his stupid face anymore or listen to his "NO WORRIES BRAH, WE'LL GET IT, WE'RE CHAMPIONS" rah-rah bull****.
    Awesome post, you seem like a great guy.

    Because they are really going to fire the guy who turned the team around and had them on the verge of the NFCG.

  7. #27
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Awesome post, you seem like a great guy.

    Because they are really going to fire the guy who turned the team around and had them on the verge of the NFCG.
    I've been told I'm a good guy.

    More wishful thinking on my part there. Carroll's a tool. Sorry to break it to you.

    I hope they trade Flynn and Wilson is a one year wonder and turns into Kordell Stewart. I hope Marshawn Lynch regresses to the fumble machine he was in Buffalo.

    Then when Carroll is gone I won't care about the Seahawks.

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,661
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Then when Carroll is gone I won't care about the Seahawks.
    So that means you DO care about the Seahawks since Carroll is there which means you care about Carroll.


    Awwwwwwwww..how sweet.

  9. #29
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,779
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Much more valid point. Prevent the FG attempt in the first place, no need to "ice".

    (As an aside, why did Atl rush to take THEIR timeout, so that after the kick there'd be enough time for a kick off and a Hail Mary play??? )
    The kickoff at the end was horrendous. The decision to rush the timeout is a great decision. If there is a bad snap, holder should have time to scramble out and throw the ball out of bounds to set up another fg attempt.

  10. #30
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,553
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone ever seen a guy get iced, but get a 'practice kick' off, miss it, then miss again? Or make it then miss it? I don't think I have. I've seen them make 2, but I can't recall a miss/miss or make/miss. I could be wrong, but I think every time I've seen a guy get a practice kick, he's nailed the FG.

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,915
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    I guess statistically icing the kicker 'works' dating back to 2001 according to this article:

    http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...e-kicker-work/



    But it definitely seems to fail the eye test and I have many, many more games in my foggy memory where icing the kicker resulted in calling the TO on what would have been a miss followed by a winning FG than I recall games where the opposite happened.
    It only works statistically in the pros if they don't kick the ball. In college they do it too much IMO most of those kickers suck to begin with. If your giving them a free practice shot like they did last night it doesn't. The K actually tried to stopped his progress at the whistle then kicked the ball. I don't think he would have missed if not for the whistle really.

  12. #32
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,028
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    Has anyone ever seen a guy get iced, but get a 'practice kick' off, miss it, then miss again? Or make it then miss it? I don't think I have. I've seen them make 2, but I can't recall a miss/miss or make/miss. I could be wrong, but I think every time I've seen a guy get a practice kick, he's nailed the FG.
    Most recent one I can remember is Duke/Cincy this year. Nailed the first one, but b/c they had 12 men on the field (deliberate I think) it was a dead ball foul. They moved up 5 yards and then he missed it.

    It happens in the Pros too. Can't place it this second, but it does.

  13. #33
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,962
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    I've been told I'm a good guy.

    More wishful thinking on my part there. Carroll's a tool. Sorry to break it to you.

    I hope they trade Flynn and Wilson is a one year wonder and turns into Kordell Stewart. I hope Marshawn Lynch regresses to the fumble machine he was in Buffalo.

    Then when Carroll is gone I won't care about the Seahawks.
    What makes him a tool? That he seems to really like his job? That people seem to really like him?A little too enthusiastic for you? Poor baby.

  14. #34
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    What makes him a tool? That he seems to really like his job? That people seem to really like him?A little too enthusiastic for you? Poor baby.
    He's a tool because of his false laid back demeanor and NCAA "WE'RE CHAMPS GUYS" motivational tactics.

    And of course, for essentially destroying USC then "Peace, I'm out."

    LOL.

    His act will get old starting next year because we saw it yesterday:

    Browner and Sherman's roids are wearing off. His act will get old just like it did here and his players will stop responding.

    I am still not buying Wilson, either. One of these rookie QB's will not pan out and my money is still on Wilson.

    This was a flash in the pan in my opinion. I see 8-8 or 7-9 in their future there.

    Especially since Clemons could miss some of next season and he won't be full speed upon his return.

    And that's before we touch upon Lynch rediscovering the main reason Buffalo dumped him: Fumblitis.

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The rule is yet another stupid rule that detracts from the actual game, puts more power in coaches hands and causes endless problems for the officials. Coaches should not be allowed to call time outs in my opinion at all. If they want to holler to a player on the filed to call one fine, but nothing should come from the sidelines.
    THat would be a massive rule changes. Coaches have always been allowed to call time outs.

    There were lots of questionable coaching decisions. Like Atlanta not going for 2 when they would have had a 2 point conversion from the 1/2 yard line to go up 21.

  16. #36
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,962
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    He's a tool because of his false laid back demeanor and NCAA "WE'RE CHAMPS GUYS" motivational tactics.

    And of course, for essentially destroying USC then "Peace, I'm out."

    LOL.

    His act will get old starting next year because we saw it yesterday:

    Browner and Sherman's roids are wearing off. His act will get old just like it did here and his players will stop responding.

    I am still not buying Wilson, either. One of these rookie QB's will not pan out and my money is still on Wilson.

    This was a flash in the pan in my opinion. I see 8-8 or 7-9 in their future there.

    Especially since Clemons could miss some of next season and he won't be full speed upon his return.

    And that's before we touch upon Lynch rediscovering the main reason Buffalo dumped him: Fumblitis.
    I don't even know where to begin with this? How did yesterday prove anything except that the Hawks are, in fact, up and coming?

    But, whatever, hate away. I like Pete, he got a raw deal from the Jets and have never seen anything to suggest he isn't a good guy. You say "essentially destroying USC," I say, saved the program, brought it back to relevancy, got shafted by the NCAA for Reggie Bush, and then took a dream job.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us