Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 143

Thread: NY Post reporting decision close, favorite is,,,

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I don't understand why everyone is acting like we've missed out on all of the top candidates.

    Who the hell is off the market worth noting besides Caldwell and Dorsey?


    Guys like Idzik, Gaine, Gamble, Popp, Khan, etc are still all out there.
    Because there have been no reports of us recalling any of those guys aside from Khan for second interviews.

  2. #62
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    How many other teams have expressed interest in or interviewed Tom Gamble?

    San Diego?

    Who else?
    Jacksonville. And they wanted him back for a 2nd but he turned them down.

    Three teams out of what, 5 that had openings?

    That says a lot more than the zero interest Jerry Angelo has received outside of the Jets.

    Look at Angelo's most recent record. You really want this guy?

    And by the way you were jumping all over Tom Gamble when it was reported he was interviewing with us. He was your first choice IIRC.

  3. #63
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    8,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I don't understand why everyone is acting like we've missed out on all of the top candidates.

    Who the hell is off the market worth noting besides Caldwell and Dorsey?


    Guys like Idzik, Gaine, Gamble, Popp, Khan, etc are still all out there.
    Because we have a report that the 3 finalists are Cohen, Angelo, and Khan... Per the report, none of these other guys matter at this point. Yuck.

  4. #64

    Angelo is a failure in Chicago

    In all of his years at Chicago, could not get the Bears a strong offensive line to protect Cutler. If you can't do that, you can't evaluate talent or make good draft picks.

  5. #65
    I am sorry but if you want Angelo as your GM, you have done absolutely NO research on him. He would be as bad of a hire as Cohen is.

  6. #66
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Woody is not doing the search, the contractor is.

    Woody will be involved in the decision, obviously, but assembling the "final list" is somethign he's paid the comntractor, a well respected one, to do.

    So perhaps the Contractor is clueless?
    Is it not possible, however, that Woody has set the framework with the contractor as to what he wants in a GM? And that the contractor is being forced to work within those guidelines?

  7. #67
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Jacksonville. And they wanted him back for a 2nd but he turned them down.

    Three teams out of what, 5 that had openings?

    That says a lot more than the zero interest Jerry Angelo has received outside of the Jets.

    Look at Angelo's most recent record. You really want this guy?

    And by the way you were jumping all over Tom Gamble when it was reported he was interviewing with us. He was your first choice IIRC.
    Yeah, I did want Gamble.

    But I'll be the first to admit that I know jacksh*t about the guy besides what I read in a basic profile on the Niners website.

    The same goes for Idzik, Gaine, Caldwell, etc.

    Is there ANYONE on this board whose knowledge of these guys extends beyond that?

  8. #68
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    Because we have a report that the 3 finalists are Cohen, Angelo, and Khan... Per the report, none of these other guys matter at this point. Yuck.
    Who gives a sh*t about some report?

    These reporters have been jerking us off left and right throughout this entire process.

    Who knows who to believe?

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Boynton Beach Jets View Post
    In 2000 the Patriots cant be considered veteran ownership.
    If your argument is that Kraft in 2000 is better than Woody today, I think thats questionable outside of one decision, to hire Bellichek.

    I just think that Woody makes decisions based on selling tickets and increasing value of his team.
    Every owner does. Nothign sells tickets or increases value liek success. This chestnut is one of the worst and least informed of all criticisms of an NFL Owner.

    Why else would he want these spectacles and request to play on Thanksgiving night.
    Prestige? National TV Spotlight for the team? Why wouldn't an owner want a prime-time, national-TV, spotlight on his team?

    I am convinced no top GM or hot GM prospect will come here because Woody forces his GM to make personnel moves, like Tebow or Farve.
    Name the top 10 GM candidates this offseason, as you see it, and why you rank them there, and then cite your supporting professional-opinion referneces backing up the list.

    Then we'll see if we get any of them.

    If you can't do that, how do you know if we're getting a "top GM" candidate?

    Football decisions need to be made for football reasons and Woody Johnson is known I am sure in football circles as an owner who forces decisions on his football team for non football reasons and no smart GM will have any part of that.
    Pure speculation on your part.

    t's more likely that decisions were made strictly by Football staff (GM/Head Coach) for football reasons.....and simply didn't work as hoped/intended, because the GM was not the best evaluator of talent, and the Head Coach gets too in love with certain players.

    And now that the owner is performing a professional GM search where he specificly is NOT simply picking his own favorite, but deferring to a well-respected firm to assist, he's still crucified.

    You would think, given the endless "we're a joke" comments, that the entire reign of Woody would be 4-12 season after 4-12 season.

    One wonders where we're actually ranked in wins/losses and playoff seasons since the year Woody took over, vs the rest of the NFL. I'll bet were top 10 in wins and playoff seasons over that time.
    Last edited by Warfish; 01-14-2013 at 10:49 AM.

  10. #70
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Yeah, I did want Gamble.

    But I'll be the first to admit that I know jacksh*t about the guy besides what I read in a basic profile on the Niners website.

    The same goes for Idzik, Gaine, Caldwell, etc.

    Is there ANYONE on this board whose knowledge of these guys extends beyond that?
    Perhaps not as obvious as the track record we have for Angelo.

    But I'd rather have a younger, hungrier former assistant who has worked under some very good personnel people and who may have some good innovative ideas and instincts over a guy who has already been in the position for many years and failed to the point of being fired and has garnered no interest since being fired except for, of course, the great franchise we all love.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillafan View Post
    In all of his years at Chicago, could not get the Bears a strong offensive line to protect Cutler. If you can't do that, you can't evaluate talent or make good draft picks.
    You know its funny. If a GM spends resources to land a good offensive line and defense but doesn't get a franchise QB he gets killed. Then when he spends considerable resources (draft picks) on a franchise QB to go along with a great defense he gets killed for not getting a top notch offensive line.

    Its not easy building a well rounded team. The Pats have been unable to win a super bowl, despite having an all time great QB, for the last 7 years mainly because their defense has not been great (despite their head coach being a defensive "genius.")

  12. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    There weren't that many teams with GM openings to begin with and there were a few very good candidates.

    Are we really going to use the old JI standard here? "31 other teams passed on this guy..."
    Chargers
    Browns
    Chiefs
    Cardinals
    Panthers
    Jets
    Jaguars

    That's almost a quarter of the teams in the league. I'd say that's a lot of GM openings.

  13. #73
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    4,303
    At this point, I don't believe anything till I hear Woody announce the new GM himself.

    Everything we've heard the last few weeks has just been hearsay. Beat reporters trying to get a jump on the tiniest sliver of information.

    Personally, I'll flip **** if we hire Angelo. He has a track record of draft failure in Chicago, something that we need to FIX. Offensive line, running back, receivers...basically all offense is our weakness right now and something that Angelo has always ****ed over his team with.

    SAY NO TO ANGELO!

  14. #74
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Chargers
    Browns
    Chiefs
    Cardinals
    Panthers
    Jets
    Jaguars

    That's almost a quarter of the teams in the league. I'd say that's a lot of GM openings.
    Okay there were 7, not 5.

    I give up. You are all 100% right. Ryan is the bestest. Woody is the bestest. Whatever decision these guys make is the bestest. Jerry Angelo, if hired, will be the bestest.

  15. #75
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,374
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    You know its funny. If a GM spends resources to land a good offensive line and defense but doesn't get a franchise QB he gets killed. Then when he spends considerable resources (draft picks) on a franchise QB to go along with a great defense he gets killed for not getting a top notch offensive line.

    Its not easy building a well rounded team. The Pats have been unable to win a super bowl, despite having an all time great QB, for the last 7 years mainly because their defense has not been great (despite their head coach being a defensive "genius.")
    You're right. Who wants one of the best teams in the NFL year in and year out, winning their division every year and getting deep into the playoffs?

    I'm just as satisfied to root for a team that takes 1 step forward and 2 steps back and has done so for 44 years.

  16. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    Because we have a report that the 3 finalists are Cohen, Angelo, and Khan... Per the report, none of these other guys matter at this point. Yuck.
    - We also had reports that Tom Gamble was shoe-in to get the job. So far that has been shown to be false.

    - We also heard that Jim Popp was interviewed. First they got the location of the interview wrong. Then it came out that the interview never even happened (and I'm not even sure I believe that at this point).

    - We heard that Russ Ball interviewed. Now they say he hasn't.

    - We heard that Scott Cohen was the front runner last week. They've supposedly interviewed at least a handful of others since.


    At what point do you stop believing what you read on twitter or in the papers? They've been wrong every step of the way in this process.

  17. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Okay there were 7, not 5.

    I give up. You are all 100% right. Ryan is the bestest. Woody is the bestest. Whatever decision these guys make is the bestest. Jerry Angelo, if hired, will be the bestest.
    Thanks for putting words in my mouth. I can play that game too.

    "Woody is the devil! Rex shouldn't be in the NFL!!! Everything the Jets ever do is wrong wrong wrong!!!!!!!!

    We're a joke of a franchise because Mike Florio says we are!!!!

    My vagina hurts!!!!"

  18. #78

    Wink NJ NEWS REPORTING JERRY ANGELO IS FAVORITE AS GM

    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Angelo should be the guy. He got to a Super Bowl with Rex Grossman. What better experience to take over a team with Mark Sanchez.
    =The Jets are reportedly high on former Bears general manager Jerry Angelo and will hold follow-up interviews with at least two candidates this week, according to a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter.

    Angelo had six winning seasons, four playoff appearances and one Super Bowl visit in his 11 years with the Bears. With the Buccaneers, he made the playoffs during his final three seasons, from 1997-2000.

  19. #79
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Thanks for putting words in my mouth. I can play that game too.

    "Woody is the devil! Rex shouldn't be in the NFL!!! Everything the Jets ever do is wrong wrong wrong!!!!!!!!

    We're a joke of a franchise because Mike Florio says we are!!!!

    My vagina hurts!!!!"
    LOL. No one has answered my question as to how many teams have expressed interest in or interviewed Jerry Angelo?

    Instead, it's but but but but.....

    But then the same poeple ask how many teams Tom Gamble interviewed with.

  20. #80
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillafan View Post
    In all of his years at Chicago, could not get the Bears a strong offensive line to protect Cutler. If you can't do that, you can't evaluate talent or make good draft picks.
    Doesn't sound too bad.....

    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ears_gm_j.html


    Angelo had six winning seasons, four playoff appearances and one Super Bowl visit in his 11 years with the Bears. With the Buccaneers, he made the playoffs during his final three seasons, from 1997-2000.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us