Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 143

Thread: NY Post reporting decision close, favorite is,,,

  1. #81
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
    =The Jets are reportedly high on former Bears general manager Jerry Angelo and will hold follow-up interviews with at least two candidates this week, according to a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter.

    Angelo had six winning seasons, four playoff appearances and one Super Bowl visit in his 11 years with the Bears. With the Buccaneers, he made the playoffs during his final three seasons, from 1997-2000.
    While the majority of GM's are in Mobile scouting at the Senior Bowl.

    Super. Our new GM will not have the luxury of doing his own scouting.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    LOL. No one has answered my question as to how many teams have expressed interest in or interviewed Jerry Angelo?

    Instead, it's but but but but.....

    But then the same poeple ask how many teams Tom Gamble interviewed with.
    The same amount of teams that have hired Gamble to be their GM after sitting one on one with him.

    Honestly I don't know.

  3. #83
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    LOL. No one has answered my question as to how many teams have expressed interest in or interviewed Jerry Angelo?

    Instead, it's but but but but.....

    But then the same poeple ask how many teams Tom Gamble interviewed with.
    1 team has interest in Angelo. That's like 1 less than those interested in Gamble.

  4. #84
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    LOL. No one has answered my question as to how many teams have expressed interest in or interviewed Jerry Angelo?

    Instead, it's but but but but.....

    But then the same poeple ask how many teams Tom Gamble interviewed with.
    He probably hasn't interviewed with anyone else at this point.

    Who cares?

    Should we just go ahead and hire the guy who received the most interviews?

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Is it not possible, however, that Woody has set the framework with the contractor as to what he wants in a GM? And that the contractor is being forced to work within those guidelines?
    But look at it another way. WJ hired KF because he knew he was in over his head. KF hired the team president Neil Glat. Would WJ rehire KF and Jed H. if he didn't like the way the firm handled the Glat search? That tells me he's very likely to take what KF suggests very seriously and will let the firm run the show.

    Are there aspects of the framework that WJ has set up for the search - like keeping the coach - that MIGHT give some candidates pause? Yes, but again, Seattle in 09 and a couple of teams this year hired the coach before the GM.

  6. #86
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hauppauge, New York
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
    =The Jets are reportedly high on former Bears general manager Jerry Angelo and will hold follow-up interviews with at least two candidates this week, according to a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter.
    At least two - that could mean any number. This will go on until who knows when.

  7. #87
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    7,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

    There is no eveidence of that outside fan speculation.
    There IS evidence. Clear evidence. The team's history -through reigns of different FO personnel to hire splashy names. The only common denominator in all those moves is Woody. The fact that the coaches refused to utilize Tebow whatsoever is clear evidence that they had no interest in him and he was forced on them. Woody is dazzled by splashy names that have done something before coming to the Jets and thinks he can capitalize on the reflected glow. He does not understand that creating your own success from within is what wins attention, respect and loyalty.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    But look at it another way.
    Tunnel-Vision Jordy is incapable of that.

  9. #89
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,248
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    But look at it another way. WJ hired KF because he knew he was in over his head. KF hired the team president Neil Glat. Would WJ rehire KF and Jed H. if he didn't like the way the firm handled the Glat search? That tells me he's very likely to take what KF suggests very seriously and will let the firm run the show.

    Are there aspects of the framework that WJ has set up for the search - like keeping the coach - that MIGHT give some candidates pause? Yes, but again, Seattle in 09 and a couple of teams this year hired the coach before the GM.
    I'm not just talking about keeping the coach. What if WJ is making it known that he wants his HC to have more input on personnel decisions than the GM candidate is willing to accept?

    Look. Something just doesn't smell right about this whole thing.

    Everyone knows the Jets are in cap hell. Everyone can see what the Jets roster looks like. Everyone is working on the assumption that Rex Ryan will be retained as HC for at least 2013. Yet, they're agreeing to interviews. So, there has to be more to this story than just those facts.

  10. #90
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,790
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    If Korn Ferry wasn't involved, I'd be a lot more worried. The firm's reputation's on the line here too. I'm certain the guys working this search will do everything in their power to keep Woody and Glat from screwing this up royally.
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Exactly above. If this was a solo Woody search, we'd be screwed. But the search firm has a great reputation, so it doesn't bother so much.
    Woody doesn't have to go on their suggestions, so their reputation should not allay any fears of the Jets getting a less-than desirable candidate.

  11. #91
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    There IS evidence. Clear evidence. The team's history -through reigns of different FO personnel to hire splashy names. The only common denominator in all those moves is Woody. The fact that the coaches refused to utilize Tebow whatsoever is clear evidence that they had no interest in him and he was forced on them. Woody is dazzled by splashy names that have done something before coming to the Jets and thinks he can capitalize on the reflected glow. He does not understand that creating your own success from within is what wins attention, respect and loyalty.
    Loyalty?

    He was loyal to Mike Tannenbaum for 7 years.

    He was loyal to Chad Pennington until his arm damn near fell off.

    He's clearly loyal to Rex and not kicking his ass out the door immediately just because the most impatient fans on Earth say to do so.


    Say what you want about Woody, but I wouldn't question his loyalty.

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    None of these three were my personal preferred options. Angelo makes me nervous, and Cohen is too tied to the old regime for my taste. Khan is more financial whiz than scouting guy, much like Tanny.

    Of the three, I probably could accept Khan as a smart guy coming from a very well run team, if he brings a strong scouting type with him to reshape that side of the operation. Khan is highly regarded around the league as a smart, rising talent - hopefully smart enough to bring good people with complementary strengths along with him.
    the key to his hiring wout that guy..just another tanny!!!

  13. #93
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Tunnel-Vision Jordy is incapable of that.
    C'mon. Something is not right if in fact it's down to Khan (who's not a personnel guy), Cohen and Angelo. You can't seriously be happy about that?

  14. #94
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    C'mon. Something is not right if in fact it's down to Khan (who's not a personnel guy), Cohen and Angelo. You can't seriously be happy about that?
    Why you're so sure that report is accurate after we've been fed sh*t sandwich after sh*t sandwich by the press over the past two weeks, is beyond me.

    I'm not listening to any of these dicks from here on out.

    I'll know who the new GM is when I see Woody introduce him at the podium.

  15. #95
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I'm not just talking about keeping the coach. What if WJ is making it known that he wants his HC to have more input on personnel decisions than the GM candidate is willing to accept?

    Look. Something just doesn't smell right about this whole thing.

    Everyone knows the Jets are in cap hell. Everyone can see what the Jets roster looks like. Everyone is working on the assumption that Rex Ryan will be retained as HC for at least 2013. Yet, they're agreeing to interviews. So, there has to be more to this story than just those facts.
    Woody Johnson stated during the press conference that the GM will pick the players and Rex will pick he coaches. Don't you believe Woody?

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Exactly. The same loudmouths around here who yell about how Rex's two AFCCG appearances don't count because he went 6-10 this year seem to think that the same dynamic doesn't apply to a firm like Korn-Ferry and this search. If KF via Woody trots out some weak candidate that everyone in NFL front offices is chuckling about, does anyone think that's NOT going to hurt the firm's future prospects of running these kinds of searches? Will KF be able to say "The Jets search in 2013 doesn't count! We hired Seattle's GM in 09!!!!1111" ?
    The Jets count as a Mulligan. Everyone in the NFL knows that.

  17. #97
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,248
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Woody Johnson stated during the press conference that the GM will pick the players and Rex will pick he coaches. Don't you believe Woody?
    Is that a rhetorical question?

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Woody Johnson stated during the press conference that the GM will pick the players and Rex will pick he coaches. Don't you believe Woody?
    YES i heard it also..it seems everyone in the press chose to ignore that statemant saying rex is totally in control...do we believe him?? thats the million dollar ??

  19. #99
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    The team's history -through reigns of different FO personnel to hire splashy names.
    "Different Front Office Personnel" being Parcells, Bradway and Tannenbaum (w/ Bradway still Involved).

    Not exactly a wide variety of thought process there. Since 2001, we've had either Bradway or the Bradway Protege Tann being assisted by Bradway.

    All three GM's of the Woody era enjoyed "name" players, even Parcells.

    The only common denominator in all those moves is Woody.
    Actually, the common denominator is Bradway, involved in the player side of things from 2001 through today, the vast majority of the Woody Era.

    The fact that the coaches refused to utilize Tebow whatsoever is clear evidence that they had no interest in him and he was forced on them
    No it isn't. It's evidence that Sparano couldn't figure out how to use Tebow productively, and that when they used him early, it wasn't productive. It's also been "REPORTED" by the same media that Tebow was a horrific practice player, also a factor in who gets playing time and who doesn't. We all also saw that early efforts to use Tebow failed badly. It's equally possible he simply wasn't what they thought he was once they had him and used him.

    Going directly to "Woody made it happen" without considering all the other factors and evidence is a poor argument.

    Woody is dazzled by splashy names that have done something before coming to the Jets and thinks he can capitalize on the reflected glow.
    So are many NFL owners. Most teams signs "name" veterans if they're available, at a position of need, and affordable.

    He does not understand that creating your own success from within is what wins attention, respect and loyalty.
    It's not 1950. Free Agency is just as viable route to success and the Draft.

    And we DID try to build through teh draft, the vast majority of our talent came from that route, combined with some VERY solid pickups of "name" players like Cro and our soon-to-be-gone Skins Safety. It's our drafting so many fans bemoan today.

    The problem, above all else, is our attempt to build through the draft at the most vital position on the field, QB, was a total bust, the worst player at his position over the past 4 years with the most turnovers.

    If Woody was as "name obsessed" as you claim, we'd have already offered 100 million to a certain former GM who is assisting Woody and the contractors in pickign GM names. Or we'd be begging Parcells to come back. Or firing Rex and offering 100 million to Chucky or Cowher. or givign so much to Manning (lol) he couldn't say no even if he wanted to.

    None of those things have happened, we kept Rex, and we're not only looking at the big "name" GM's now.
    Last edited by Warfish; 01-14-2013 at 11:41 AM.

  20. #100
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Why you're so sure that report is accurate after we've been fed sh*t sandwich after sh*t sandwich by the press over the past two weeks, is beyond me.

    I'm not listening to any of these dicks from here on out.

    I'll know who the new GM is when I see Woody introduce him at the podium.
    I truly hope it's not accurate.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us