Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 143

Thread: NY Post reporting decision close, favorite is,,,

  1. #101
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,679
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan10 View Post
    YES i heard it also..it seems everyone in the press chose to ignore that statemant saying rex is totally in control...do we believe him?? thats the million dollar ??
    The truth is, we will never know what's going on behind closed doors so Woody can say whatever he wants to appease the fans and the press.

  2. #102
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    "journalism" is the easiest job to do these days. If you can write somewhat clearly and tell your editor you have a source or two, you can get away with anything. nothing like taking advantage of the first amendment. I am tuning out all media tweets, etc., until I see a guy at a press conference being introduced as the next GM

  3. #103
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    The truth is, we will never know what's going on behind closed doors so the media can say whatever it wants to rile up and profit from the fans.
    Fixed.

  4. #104
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I'm not just talking about keeping the coach. What if WJ is making it known that he wants his HC to have more input on personnel decisions than the GM candidate is willing to accept?

    Look. Something just doesn't smell right about this whole thing.

    Everyone knows the Jets are in cap hell. Everyone can see what the Jets roster looks like. Everyone is working on the assumption that Rex Ryan will be retained as HC for at least 2013. Yet, they're agreeing to interviews. So, there has to be more to this story than just those facts.
    I'd imagine if WJ came out of the gates saying that, and excellent candidates started saying "that's not going to work, Woody," Jed H. will have a come to Jesus talk with WJ about that demand.

    I'd also wager that this is the highest profile search that KF has been involved in with sports. It's national news; when Seattle hired a GM in 09 was Jay Glazer reporting on the Fox pregame about it? Of course not. The pressure to get it right is huge for KF. Everyone's watching, so if Woody and Rex had a nonstarter like that as a demand, I'm sure KF squashed it.

    I don't disagree that between the QB, the cap, and the coach some candidates might have concerns. But think of what a legend you'd be as a GM if you brought a SB to NYC and the NYJ. Namath running off the field in Miami is the most iconic image in NFL history. These guys have egos that are monstrous. You can't convince me that a bunch of guys don't think that they can do the job and are in fact convinced that they can win a SB once they get a chance to make the decisions.

  5. #105
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,209
    Post Thanks / Like
    These don't seem to be very good candidates. I think we need someone from one of the premier organizations, and the person should have scouting/personnel experience. None of these three have those qualities.

  6. #106
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    827
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    The truth is, we will never know what's going on behind closed doors so Woody can say whatever he wants to appease the fans and the press.
    Thank god Pettine was let go

  7. #107
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Woody doesn't have to go on their suggestions, so their reputation should not allay any fears of the Jets getting a less-than desirable candidate.
    I don't buy that. This is a KF search; if they take it to the end with WJ they are on the hook for the outcome. Might they quit 1/2 through? Sure. But remember WJ already worked with them to hire Neil Glat, who is sitting at the table with Woody and the search team for the interviews. There's not going to be a massive difference of opinion at the end of the search about who to hire.

  8. #108
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boynton Beach, Florida
    Posts
    6,184
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    If your argument is that Kraft in 2000 is better than Woody today, I think thats questionable outside of one decision, to hire Bellichek.



    Every owner does. Nothign sells tickets or increases value liek success. This chestnut is one of the worst and least informed of all criticisms of an NFL Owner.



    Prestige? National TV Spotlight for the team? Why wouldn't an owner want a prime-time, national-TV, spotlight on his team?



    Name the top 10 GM candidates this offseason, as you see it, and why you rank them there, and then cite your supporting professional-opinion referneces backing up the list.

    Then we'll see if we get any of them.

    If you can't do that, how do you know if we're getting a "top GM" candidate?



    Pure speculation on your part.

    t's more likely that decisions were made strictly by Football staff (GM/Head Coach) for football reasons.....and simply didn't work as hoped/intended, because the GM was not the best evaluator of talent, and the Head Coach gets too in love with certain players.

    And now that the owner is performing a professional GM search where he specificly is NOT simply picking his own favorite, but deferring to a well-respected firm to assist, he's still crucified.

    You would think, given the endless "we're a joke" comments, that the entire reign of Woody would be 4-12 season after 4-12 season.

    One wonders where we're actually ranked in wins/losses and playoff seasons since the year Woody took over, vs the rest of the NFL. I'll bet were top 10 in wins and playoff seasons over that time.
    1) Kraft is the best owner in sports and why not emulate the best owner in sports. Kraft went out to find the best FOOTBALL man and trust him with the keys to the car. The Jets need a football guy not a lawyer or accountant (if they want a accountant I am available)

    2) The good teams make decisions for the good of the football team not for marketing reasons. Do you think the Giants, Steelers, Patriots or Packers make decisions which best interest is anything other then winning. What Woody does not realize is winning is your best marketing.

    3) As far as GM is concerned I am only interested in getting a real football guy here whom will be strong and not influenced by ownership. I do not want any retread like the previous GM in Chicago (which is total disaster waiting to happen). I would prefer a GM whom came out of winning organization whom is a player personnel guy.

    4) I hate to slam the Jets record because I love the Jets but the Jets record is influenced by a team that rested its team in order for the Jets to back into the playoffs. The Jets did not exactly dominate its way to back to back championship games.

    5) I think the Jets record for the past decade and a half has been OK but how many Super Bowl's are there? I think of the rest of this decade and I can see this team being a joke.

  9. #109
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    C'mon. Something is not right if in fact it's down to Khan (who's not a personnel guy), Cohen and Angelo. You can't seriously be happy about that?
    Right now I think Khan could work. Bradway has not been perfect but we also don't know how many times Rex and Cohen influenced Tanny to overrule Bradway.

    Just know this, if Bradway was our GM, Russell Wilson would be our starting QB and not the load of dog SH!T we have now.

  10. #110
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Right now I think Khan could work. Bradway has not been perfect but we also don't know how many times Rex and Cohen influenced Tanny to overrule Bradway.

    Just know this, if Bradway was our GM, Russell Wilson would be our starting QB and not the load of dog SH!T we have now.

    Oh - now Cohen had a hand in calling the shots? You are ridiculous.

  11. #111
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    "journalism" is the easiest job to do these days. If you can write somewhat clearly and tell your editor you have a source or two, you can get away with anything. nothing like taking advantage of the first amendment. I am tuning out all media tweets, etc., until I see a guy at a press conference being introduced as the next GM
    It really is truly a joke that every time we get a "leak" everyone freaks out. Then there's new info the next day, and there's something new to freak out about.

    In the meantime, losers like Manish are laughing as they think of the raise they are going to get down the road for shoveling all of this BS.

  12. #112
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,375
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Loyalty?

    He was loyal to Mike Tannenbaum for 7 years.

    He was loyal to Chad Pennington until his arm damn near fell off.

    He's clearly loyal to Rex and not kicking his ass out the door immediately just because the most impatient fans on Earth say to do so.


    Say what you want about Woody, but I wouldn't question his loyalty.
    Not Woody's loyalty. Loyalty from the fanbase.

  13. #113
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,375
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    "Different Front Office Personnel" being Parcells, Bradway and Tannenbaum (w/ Bradway still Involved).

    Not exactly a wide variety of thought process there. Since 2001, we've had either Bradway or the Bradway Protege Tann being assisted by Bradway.

    All three GM's of the Woody era enjoyed "name" players, even Parcells.



    Actually, the common denominator is Bradway, involved in the player side of things from 2001 through today, the vast majority of the Woody Era.



    No it isn't. It's evidence that Sparano couldn't figure out how to use Tebow productively, and that when they used him early, it wasn't productive. It's also been "REPORTED" by the same media that Tebow was a horrific practice player, also a factor in who gets playing time and who doesn't. We all also saw that early efforts to use Tebow failed badly. It's equally possible he simply wasn't what they thought he was once they had him and used him.

    Going directly to "Woody made it happen" without considering all the other factors and evidence is a poor argument.



    So are many NFL owners. Most teams signs "name" veterans if they're available, at a position of need, and affordable.



    It's not 1950. Free Agency is just as viable route to success and the Draft.

    And we DID try to build through teh draft, the vast majority of our talent came from that route, combined with some VERY solid pickups of "name" players like Cro and our soon-to-be-gone Skins Safety. It's our drafting so many fans bemoan today.

    The problem, above all else, is our attempt to build through the draft at the most vital position on the field, QB, was a total bust, the worst player at his position over the past 4 years with the most turnovers.

    If Woody was as "name obsessed" as you claim, we'd have already offered 100 million to a certain former GM who is assisting Woody and the contractors in pickign GM names. Or we'd be begging Parcells to come back. Or firing Rex and offering 100 million to Chucky or Cowher. or givign so much to Manning (lol) he couldn't say no even if he wanted to.

    None of those things have happened, we kept Rex, and we're not only looking at the big "name" GM's now.
    Okay, Bradway wanted Tebow here - LOL.

    And the coaches wanted Tebow but had no idea how to use them. OK - LOL.

  14. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    C'mon. Something is not right if in fact it's down to Khan (who's not a personnel guy), Cohen and Angelo. You can't seriously be happy about that?
    When I see Woody introducing Khan, Cohen, Angelo, or anyone else for that matter, then I'll opine on his decision. The media has been putting out so much misinformation that I no longer believe a f*cking word they say.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 01-14-2013 at 12:31 PM.

  15. #115
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    As to Jerry Angelo:

    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ve-coordinator

    The headline of the article is: "Bears cite talent gap in firing Angelo"

    That scares the hell out of me. Going over his trade/draft moves on wikipedia, I am not impressed at all. We already have a talent problem, the last thing we need to do is make it worse.

  16. #116
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Forked River, NJ
    Posts
    4,696
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    There IS evidence. Clear evidence. The team's history -through reigns of different FO personnel to hire splashy names. The only common denominator in all those moves is Woody. The fact that the coaches refused to utilize Tebow whatsoever is clear evidence that they had no interest in him and he was forced on them. Woody is dazzled by splashy names that have done something before coming to the Jets and thinks he can capitalize on the reflected glow. He does not understand that creating your own success from within is what wins attention, respect and loyalty.
    My take is different. After taking taking an unbisased look at all the available information, I have come to the conclusion that Denver hoodwinked the Jets when they traded Tebow to us. By most accounts, the Jets were shocked once they realized just how bad Tebow actually was. THAT is why they didn't play him.

    Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    Thank god Pettine was let go
    We should have kept him. If we had, then we would know EXACTLY how the GM search was going and there would be no need to speculate.

    Then we could have let him go after the search.

    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Right now I think Khan could work. Bradway has not been perfect but we also don't know how many times Rex and Cohen influenced Tanny to overrule Bradway.

    Just know this, if Bradway was our GM, Russell Wilson would be our starting QB and not the load of dog SH!T we have now.
    The thought has crossed my mind...

    Let's make pretend. What if Cohen actually were the best candidate and blew the Jets away in his interview? It's certainly a possiblity (that I haven't heard mentioned).

    It would really suck not to promote him because of public perception if he was a promising candidate.

  17. #117
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Okay, Bradway wanted Tebow here - LOL.

    And the coaches wanted Tebow but had no idea how to use them. OK - LOL.
    When your entire retort boils down to "lol", you don't have much of a leg to stand on.

    Point being, we (fans) do not know who the specific responsible party was, one way or the other. We only know who publicly and directly takes the credit/blame (Rex in the case of Tebow), and who the responsible parties are in the official hierarchy (Sparano, the O-Co first, Rex, the HC second, and Tanny, the GM third).

    You have to choose to ignore the words of all of these men in order to belive it was a Woody-forced, against the GM, HC and O-Co's will decision.

    Doesn't mean it's impossible. Just means you have no real proof of it. I.e. it's idle speculation to support a pre-existing bias.

  18. #118
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,375
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    When your entire retort boils down to "lol", you don't have much of a leg to stand on.

    Point being, we (fans) do not know who the specific responsible party was, one way or the other. We only know who publicly and directly takes the credit/blame (Rex in the case of Tebow), and who the responsible parties are in the official hierarchy (Sparano, the O-Co first, Rex, the HC second, and Tanny, the GM third).

    You have to choose to ignore the words of all of these men in order to belive it was a Woody-forced, against the GM, HC and O-Co's will decision.

    Doesn't mean it's impossible. Just means you have no real proof of it. I.e. it's idle speculation to support a pre-existing bias.
    Well, there's not much to say about claiming Bradway is responsible for
    bringing Tebow in here, but LOL. Come on.
    NO the fans don't know what goes on behind the scenes but you can make logical deductions using all the available evidence to come up with logical conclusions. And everything points to Woody being a meddler wanting his team to have national viability. All Of It. Every single move can be rationalized this way, from hiring and keeping Rex, on down. And Rex never took responsibility for Tebow being on the team, just for not playing him. That speaks volumes. He even let out a 'leak' about not having good offensive personnel.
    Come on, you've got to learn to read between the lines.

  19. #119
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Well, there's not much to say about claiming Bradway is responsible for
    bringing Tebow in here, but LOL. Come on.
    NO the fans don't know what goes on behind the scenes but you can make logical deductions using all the available evidence to come up with logical conclusions. And everything points to Woody being a meddler wanting his team to have national viability. All Of It. Every single move can be rationalized this way, from hiring and keeping Rex, on down. And Rex never took responsibility for Tebow being on the team, just for not playing him. That speaks volumes. He even let out a 'leak' about not having good offensive personnel.
    If it makes you happier to think Woody is the problem (the one guy we're not going to get rid of....ever) so be it.

    Like debating a 9-11 for Truth'er, discussing Woody with Jets Fans right now is a certified impossibillity or speculation, projection, conspiracy and more.

    Fans want blood, the owners is the blood they want.

  20. #120
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Oh - now Cohen had a hand in calling the shots? You are ridiculous.
    Really? It was common knowledge that Tanny and Cohen mocked Bradway over Russell Wilson. I didn't mean to offend you but maybe get off Cohen's jock for a minute. He's not the savior we need right now.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us