Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Patriots offense a "gimmick" offense

Is the Patriots offense a "gimmick" offense

Before the Patriots had even advanced, Brendon Ayanbadejo turned up the heat on Baltimore-New England. Ayanbadejo, who has spent the last five seasons with Baltimore, lashed out at the Patriots for what he calls a "gimmick" offense. He said that it's something he can't respect, and he even compared the Pats' no-huddle, hurry-up approach to a cheap shot before a fight. It looked briefly like Ayanbadejo might save himself by saying that the Patriots' offense is good enough to be successful without such a gameplan, but any sliver of goodwill he might have gained among Pats fans with that comment quickly vanished when he started making references to Spygate and New England's 18-1 season.

Banned
    I didn't know you're not allow to run gimmick play in the NFL.

All Pro
    Yeah, a gimmick that works. How the Pats manage to run that hurry-up, no huddle without illegal procedure penalties is astonishing. You need a Tom Brady to run it though. Lots of lightning quick decisions and need for very disciplined players. Most teams couldn't run it.

Hall Of Fame
    I wish we had that gimmick offense.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    We do, just not good at it.

What dumb thing for this guy to say....

Amazing that players still give out bulletin board material like this.

Real gimmick over there to think "Our offense is unreal, lets try to run even more plays for it"

All Pro
    I've noticed that they run picks on every play. I doubt we would get away with that, but I'd be willing to try.

The biggest issue I have with the Pats O is that they use illegal picks on almost every play and are never called.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Notice how the Pats lose Gronk at TE, but have Hernandez right behind him. We lose Keller and our "replacements" are a bunch of talentlessw scrubs who can't buy a completion.

Another "gimmick" is its designer, Bellicheat. For as long as he's ben here, folks have been screaming about splitting McKnight out wide. For some reason, Rex and the "confederacy of dunces" we've had as our offensive coaching staff just don't/can't recognize its validity. What does Bellicheat do? He adds another wrinkle to the "gimmick offense" by splitting Vereen out at receiver and getting a mismatch (LB in coverage) for a key TD.

Face it, folks. hate to say it, but New England is the gold standard, whilst our team is a pewter-lead aggregate with no hope of developing a successful "gimmick". I just sit and wait until Brady/Bellicheat finally retire. Until then, we have no shot.

All League
    Unfortunately, nothing illegal about what the Patriots do.

It works, and so they keep doing it.

Exploit every weakness to your advantage.

I wish the Jets had this sort of cut-throat mentality. To put the hammer down on an opponent from the opening kick to the final gun. It's a game, and you play to win, so play 60 hard minutes, regardless if the score is 3-0 or 30-0.

Ha, Freud would say Patriot envy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    The biggest issue I have with the Pats O is that they use illegal picks on almost every play and are never called.
    Define an illegal pick.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I've noticed that they run picks on every play. I doubt we would get away with that, but I'd be willing to try.
    The picks are more of a problem than the quick no huddle. I saw Aaron Hernandez run over a player in the open field yesterday. Just knock him down and then you are open.

The Pats are notorious for taking every advantage they can get. They actually practice and perfect illegal tactics. It's not sour grapes. Football is war. The quick snap offense is very effective. Brady is a master at it. Specifically the QB sneak. I think he has the highest conversion rate in NFL history when it comes to converting on QB sneaks something along the lines of 99.3 percent.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    The picks are more of a problem than the quick no huddle. I saw Aaron Hernandez run over a player in the open field yesterday. Just knock him down and then you are open.

The Pats are notorious for taking every advantage they can get. They actually practice and perfect illegal tactics. It's not sour grapes. Football is war. The quick snap offense is very effective. Brady is a master at it. Specifically the QB sneak. I think he has the highest conversion rate in NFL history when it comes to converting on QB sneaks something along the lines of 99.3 percent.
    But he was flagged for an offensive passing interference so there's nothing illegal there.

the only gimmick is Tom Brady

he is unreal...

Excuses for losers to lament

1) it's the refs
    2) they're lucky
    3) gimmick offense
    5) hope someone else beats them

First, the guy is a special teamer so maybe he's a gimmick player.

Second, the guy talks about lining up man on man but he can't even crack the lineup and he wants to go man on man against Mankins?

He's a dope.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mai Shu View Post
    But he was flagged for an offensive passing interference so there's nothing illegal there.
    It happened twice. It was called once. I also saw the pick play utilized atleast 5 times during yesterday's game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    It happened twice. It was called once. I also saw the pick play utilized atleast 5 times during yesterday's game.
    Are you saying pick plays are illegal?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mai Shu View Post
    Flag=illegal

Veteran
    The Bills ran a largely hurry-up offense to four Superbowls. The Pats do make a bit more of a 'gimmick' out of it, but it works because they run the plays tightly and because Brady almost always reads the right option.

Definitely some near-illegal picks on some plays but - hey - if it's not called there is nothing anyone can do about it. I thought the refs called a pretty even game yesterday.

The Pariots use picks but Manning is the king of picks. Has no one noticed that before? Most of his sets use stacked receivers and picks.