Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Patriots offense a "gimmick" offense

Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    The picks are more of a problem than the quick no huddle. I saw Aaron Hernandez run over a player in the open field yesterday. Just knock him down and then you are open.

The Pats are notorious for taking every advantage they can get. They actually practice and perfect illegal tactics. It's not sour grapes. Football is war. The quick snap offense is very effective. Brady is a master at it. Specifically the QB sneak. I think he has the highest conversion rate in NFL history when it comes to converting on QB sneaks something along the lines of 99.3 percent.
    C'mon, that is weak. You look at every games on any given Sunday and you can see plenty "illegal tactics" on any given play that isn't called from offensive holding to illegal contact down the field to whatever. It isn't just he Pats.

The Pats run a lot of crossing patterns over the middle. That caused a lot of natural picks. Not all natural picks are illegal.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    The Pats run a lot of crossing patterns over the middle. That caused a lot of natural picks. Not all natural picks are illegal.
    For me, as long as every team could do it I'm not going to gripe. The very last thing I would ever want to see would be yellow flags on every g'damn play. I can't watch basketball for that reason. Lots of flags starts to equal tight, uninteresting play from teams too. I would - however - be all for rescinding that 5yd rule or at least defining it more tightly. I still don't have a clear idea of when refs are supposed to call it or not, and sometimes it seems like the refs don't either.

I heard the Patriots hold too.

I also heard that Vince Wilfork is heavier than the 326 pounds he's listed at.

When will the NFL deal with this team and just eliminate them from the NFL?

All League
    Can someone please tell Colin Kapernick not to run for 180 yards? Most QBs don't do that so it must be a gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    Can someone please tell Colin Kapernick not to run for 180 yards? Most QBs don't do that so it must be a gimmick.

Good point. If the hurry up is a gimmick, then what are these college option/wildcat offenses?

Another thing is this "amoeba" defense where the defense doesn't really line up. Why don't they line up "man to man" and show what they're going to do?

New rules
    1) No disguises
    2) Make sure the other team is ready
    3) No onsides kicks
    4) No reverses
    5) No wildcat/option

It's an incredibly smart offense. Over the years there are a lot of people who have been over coached and over prepared. thus when faced with plays where they don't have time to get a play from the sidelines and or think for themselves they fail.

The number of times in this league, not only with the Pats but any team I see defensive players looking backwards or sideways at the snap of the ball because they are relaying some 'important' bit of info is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    It's an incredibly smart offense. Over the years there are a lot of people who have been over coached and over prepared. thus when faced with plays where they don't have time to get a play from the sidelines and or think for themselves they fail.

The number of times in this league, not only with the Pats but any team I see defensive players looking backwards or sideways at the snap of the ball because they are relaying some 'important' bit of info is amazing.

The one I always see is defensive lineman standing up and not in their stance when the ball is snapped.

How do they expect to win the battle when they're already standing up???

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mai Shu View Post
    Define an illegal pick.
    an illegal pick occurs when one offensive player impedes the defensive player from covering his man, thus allowing the other offensive player to run free.

It's only a gimmick if it actually works.

Houston must have been AMAZED that New England was running the speed hurry-up since, you know, they never do that.......

Houston and Kubiak overall were completely unprepared.

You have to know that New England plays this cheap dildo football by not allowing you to matchup, sticking you in nickle pretty much the whole game and reliant upon your CB's and safeties ability to both cover and tackle. Assuming you have a LB fast enough to cover Hernandez.

I don't understand why it's even a point of discussion:

They've been doing this for two years now.

It must be very hard to understand, as well, that when you get a stop against New England you have to score or eat a ton of clock. I mean this is tough stuff, really it is.

Ayanbadejo or whatever can say whatever he wants, but it's not a gimmick, it's a form of football only Pats fans enjoy and should be either copied by everybody or complained about enough by fans to force a legislative change to get rid of it.

I mean it's really compelling football to see 5 WR sets against a 4-6 quick snapped repeatedly.............

No, it's not a gimmick. It's a very well-designed, very well-run, very disciplined system designed to be different, yet easy to run, with a pace that keeps defenses on their back-foot, and utilizes talant that other teams and other systems find no use for in a traditional system, but still have exceptional talent (i.e. guys liek Woodhead and Welker).

That, and it's run by the greatest QB who has ever played the position.

That helps I hear.

So no, it's not a gimmick. It's just good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mai Shu View Post
    Are you saying pick plays are illegal?
    And the tuck rule was put into place for the raiders game.

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    It's only a gimmick if it actually works.

Houston must have been AMAZED that New England was running the speed hurry-up since, you know, they never do that.......

Houston and Kubiak overall were completely unprepared.

You have to know that New England plays this cheap dildo football by not allowing you to matchup, sticking you in nickle pretty much the whole game and reliant upon your CB's and safeties ability to both cover and tackle. Assuming you have a LB fast enough to cover Hernandez.

I don't understand why it's even a point of discussion:

They've been doing this for two years now.

It must be very hard to understand, as well, that when you get a stop against New England you have to score or eat a ton of clock. I mean this is tough stuff, really it is.

Ayanbadejo or whatever can say whatever he wants, but it's not a gimmick, it's a form of football only Pats fans enjoy and should be either copied by everybody or complained about enough by fans to force a legislative change to get rid of it.

I mean it's really compelling football to see 5 WR sets against a 4-6 quick snapped repeatedly.............
    I think the NFL wants to see more of the Jets offensive football. There aren't enough pick 6s in the NFL today.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    That, and it's run by the greatest QB who has ever played the position.

NO.

Bradshaw and Montana have one more Super Bowl win each. Montana also has a NCAA National Championship.

Brady has not won a Super Bowl since his team was caught cheating. These are facts. Neither Bradshaw nor Montana EVER played for teams that were suspected of cheating.

Moreover, neither Bradshaw nor Montana were protected by ridiculous QB rules instituted because their owners were in bed with the commissioner at the time. It was MUCH more difficult to pass back then. WR's and QB's are protected like the Hope Diamond now.

Brady/Kraft have fostered ratification of the Tuck rule and the "no hitting a QB below the knees" rules and Welker's mush brain have contributed to the "defenseless receiver" garbage.

It's not even comparable.

Bradshaw was largely carried by a defense but Chuck Noll used to call out Jack Tatum during the great Steelers/Raiders rivalry years as straight up being a criminal for how he used to hit guys.

But did he have the Rooneys go whine to the commissioner about rule changes?

NO.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 01-14-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    The Bills ran a largely hurry-up offense to four Superbowls. The Pats do make a bit more of a 'gimmick' out of it, but it works because they run the plays tightly and because Brady almost always reads the right option.

Definitely some near-illegal picks on some plays but - hey - if it's not called there is nothing anyone can do about it. I thought the refs called a pretty even game yesterday.
    The bills used a no huddle, the pats combine a no huddle with a quick line set.

And I think a lot of posters (or at least a couple) confuse a scrape with a pick.

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    I think the NFL wants to see more of the Jets offensive football. There aren't enough pick 6s in the NFL today.
    There's another USC QB coming out. And plenty of open starting spots for potential Leinart landing spots.........

All League
    Close the lid on this thread and throw it in the ocean, they're all here!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    The picks are more of a problem than the quick no huddle. I saw Aaron Hernandez run over a player in the open field yesterday. Just knock him down and then you are open.

The Pats are notorious for taking every advantage they can get. They actually practice and perfect illegal tactics. It's not sour grapes. Football is war. The quick snap offense is very effective. Brady is a master at it. Specifically the QB sneak. I think he has the highest conversion rate in NFL history when it comes to converting on QB sneaks something along the lines of 99.3 percent.
    "Cheating is practiced and encouraged in NE."- Josh McDaniels
    (That's not the exact quote but close enough)

The Patriots are a scoring machine. They loose their starting tight end, no problem, they loose their running back no problem and still rack up 40 points. If more teams were smarter they would try and do what the Pats do instead of pointing finger at them

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    an illegal pick occurs when one offensive player impedes the defensive player from covering his man, thus allowing the other offensive player to run free.
    But the offensive guy also has the right to run his route. As long as he does not stop or slow his route, it is a scrape and not illegal. Or if he turns and stops in the zone facing the qb, it is not a pick.

The pats try to get the defense to impede each other by crossing. when they bunch.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Excuses for losers to lament

1) I'm a Pats Fan trolling a Jets board just after my team just won a playoff game
    Fixed it for you Jerky