Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 148

Thread: Is the Patriots offense a "gimmick" offense

  1. #41
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,359
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    The Patriots are a scoring machine. They loose their starting tight end, no problem, they loose their running back no problem and still rack up 40 points. If more teams were smarter they would try and do what the Pats do instead of pointing finger at them
    There's my Pats fan showing his true colors

  2. #42
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,970
    Define Gimmick I suppose.

    It's a gimmick in that as soon as Brady and/or BB retires, they won't be able to run it, at least not in the same way or as effectively. So yes, it's got a shelf live of effectiveness.

    It's not a gimmick in the sense that it is a trick that can't last more than a few games, the Pats have already proved that wrong. It's a highly effective offensive system that relies on an incredible QB to run it and a very disciplined offense to execute it. Same is true for lots of other offenses.

  3. #43
    While the Pats are pushing the envelope, the Jets hire a Tony Sporano to install a 1950s offense......and the HC tells the world his game plan is ground and pound.
    Playoff teams are putting up record points, but the Jets preferred a smashmouth style?
    Remarkable how the Jets brain trust operates. Good thing the Jets had the "best QB talent in the league" and Wreck's best team ever.
    Please fire this whole operation!!!!

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    While the Pats are pushing the envelope, the Jets hire a Tony Sporano to install a 1950s offense......and the HC tells the world his game plan is ground and pound.
    Playoff teams are putting up record points, but the Jets preferred a smashmouth style?
    Remarkable how the Jets brain trust operates. Good thing the Jets had the "best QB talent in the league" and Wreck's best team ever.
    Please fire this whole operation!!!!
    But we don't cheat so its all good to Jets fans.

  5. #45
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,548
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    Close the lid on this thread and throw it in the ocean, they're all here!
    +1 blow it up and get rid of the roaches

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    +1 blow it up and get rid of the roaches
    I'm still numb Tranny extended Sanchez after three 55% seasons. Paying millions so the sucky QB wouldn't pout????? Only our NYJ

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    I'm still numb Tranny extended Sanchez after three 55% seasons. Paying millions so the sucky QB wouldn't pout????? Only our NYJ
    This defies all logic I just don't understand what in the hell they were thinking.

  8. #48
    I am hoping that SF can beat the Falcons and advance to face the Pats at the Super Bowl as they beat them one already and I am sure they could beat them again. Would love to see them crash and burn

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Define Gimmick I suppose.

    It's a gimmick in that as soon as Brady and/or BB retires, they won't be able to run it, at least not in the same way or as effectively. So yes, it's got a shelf live of effectiveness.

    It's not a gimmick in the sense that it is a trick that can't last more than a few games, the Pats have already proved that wrong. It's a highly effective offensive system that relies on an incredible QB to run it and a very disciplined offense to execute it. Same is true for lots of other offenses.
    It is less Brady than BB. He was the one practicing with a 10 second bell last summer. Next year 10 teams will be doing it then it will no longer be a gimmick.
    just like when the Pats went 5 wide on 1st down a few years ago, or walking the defensive lineman 5 years ago in Buffalo.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    I am hoping that SF can beat the Falcons and advance to face the Pats at the Super Bowl as they beat them one already and I am sure they could beat them again. Would love to see them crash and burn
    Your sure they can beat them again?

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    The one I always see is defensive lineman standing up and not in their stance when the ball is snapped.

    How do they expect to win the battle when they're already standing up???
    That's the real question with this hurry-up offense the Pats run. There are times it appears that their Oline never sets for a second which is the NFL rule. Its astonishing they never get called for false starts. The other beef I have with the Pats and other teams as well is on passing downs their oline resembles a reverse flying V , I thought your oline needed to be on the line of scrimmage, The Giants also get away with this quite often.

    Make no mistake they are a well oiled machine on O , I just wonder how much of their schemes are really legal.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Make no mistake they are a well oiled machine on O , I just wonder how much of their schemes are really legal.

    "You will never know!"---Signed:


  13. #53
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    It is less Brady than BB. He was the one practicing with a 10 second bell last summer. Next year 10 teams will be doing it then it will no longer be a gimmick.
    just like when the Pats went 5 wide on 1st down a few years ago, or walking the defensive lineman 5 years ago in Buffalo.
    It's BB's ideas, but someone still has to execute it. Without Brady, that offense doesn't run, period. Peyton could probably run it (well, depending on the arm now).

  14. #54
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    4,475
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    That's the real question with this hurry-up offense the Pats run. There are times it appears that their Oline never sets for a second which is the NFL rule. Its astonishing they never get called for false starts. The other beef I have with the Pats and other teams as well is on passing downs their oline resembles a reverse flying V , I thought your oline needed to be on the line of scrimmage, The Giants also get away with this quite often.

    Make no mistake they are a well oiled machine on O , I just wonder how much of their schemes are really legal.
    There is no such thing as half pregnant- either they are legal or are not, it's really quite that obvious. In order to believe the Pats are flagrantly doing something illegal you have to also believe that every NFL officiating crew is either not as observant as you or complicit in a vast conspiracy by ignoring it.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    Before the Patriots had even advanced, Brendon Ayanbadejo turned up the heat on Baltimore-New England. Ayanbadejo, who has spent the last five seasons with Baltimore, lashed out at the Patriots for what he calls a "gimmick" offense. He said that it's something he can't respect, and he even compared the Pats' no-huddle, hurry-up approach to a cheap shot before a fight. It looked briefly like Ayanbadejo might save himself by saying that the Patriots' offense is good enough to be successful without such a gameplan, but any sliver of goodwill he might have gained among Pats fans with that comment quickly vanished when he started making references to Spygate and New England's 18-1 season.

    Stupid. An offense that works is an offense that works. Anything different is "gimmick" but until it gets stopped, it is a good offense.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    It's BB's ideas, but someone still has to execute it. Without Brady, that offense doesn't run, period. Peyton could probably run it (well, depending on the arm now).
    Aaron Rodgers would be absolutely insane in the Pats' system. The one thing Brady can't do is scramble. That increases the offensive options tenfold (as if they needed any more ways to move the ball). Although Brady has much better pocket presence.

  17. #57
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    4,475
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    NO.



    Bradshaw and Montana have one more Super Bowl win each. Montana also has a NCAA National Championship.

    Brady has not won a Super Bowl since his team was caught cheating. These are facts. Neither Bradshaw nor Montana EVER played for teams that were suspected of cheating.

    Moreover, neither Bradshaw nor Montana were protected by ridiculous QB rules instituted because their owners were in bed with the commissioner at the time. It was MUCH more difficult to pass back then. WR's and QB's are protected like the Hope Diamond now.

    Brady/Kraft have fostered ratification of the Tuck rule and the "no hitting a QB below the knees" rules and Welker's mush brain have contributed to the "defenseless receiver" garbage.

    It's not even comparable.

    Bradshaw was largely carried by a defense but Chuck Noll used to call out Jack Tatum during the great Steelers/Raiders rivalry years as straight up being a criminal for how he used to hit guys.

    But did he have the Rooneys go whine to the commissioner about rule changes?

    NO.
    I think Montana is the GOAT but am curious where you rank Brady? You can't deny his is one of the GOAT...no?

  18. #58
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Aaron Rodgers would be absolutely insane in the Pats' system. The one thing Brady can't do is scramble. That increases the offensive options tenfold (as if they needed any more ways to move the ball). Although Brady has much better pocket presence.
    I honestly haven't watched enough of Rodgers on a game by game basis to have a sense of whether he has the quick decision making, calculating, and non-gunslinger approach to run the system. He's definitely got the numbers, I just don't really watch the Packers that much...

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    NO.
    Agree to disagree.

    Bradshaw and Montana have one more Super Bowl win each.
    Brady has been to 5 Super Bowls. Possibly (likely) his 6th coming up.

    Brady has not won a Super Bowl since his team was caught cheating. These are facts. Neither Bradshaw nor Montana EVER played for teams that were suspected of cheating.


    Moreover, neither Bradshaw nor Montana were protected by ridiculous QB rules instituted because their owners were in bed with the commissioner at the time. It was MUCH more difficult to pass back then. WR's and QB's are protected like the Hope Diamond now.
    You can only play by the rules of the time.

    For example, the Steelers and 49'ers didn't have the same problems of losses to other teams from Free Agency, nor did they play in the Salary Cap Parity Era. It was vastly easier to hold onto your players, and dominate for long periods, in both the Steelers and 49'ers Era.

    It's not even comparable.
    You're right.

    Montana and Bradshaw both has VASTLY more talent around them than Brady ever had. Monatana has the greatest WR of all time in Rice (just to start), and Bradshaw was literally carried by his Defense, Running game and the talent hat supported him in an era of dominant

    Both Montana and Bradshaw were brillaint QB's, with Montana absolutely being a GOAT contender.

    But to diminish Brady as a GOAT contender as well is pure ignorant jets Homerism. he is absolute one of, if not the, best QB's who has ever played the position.

  20. #60
    Speaking of the Pats O, per rotoworld:

    Patriots Offense - TM - Patriots Coach Bill Belichick announced Monday that ex-Chiefs OC Brian Daboll is re-joining the Patriots coaching staff, similar to the Josh McDaniels addition last January.

    Daboll worked as Pats WRs coach from 2000-2006 before running the offenses in Cleveland, Miami, and Kansas City. His addition is a bit of a surprise for two years. Daboll followed Eric Mangini to the Jets in a rivalry that became hostile during the Spygate years. He was also said to be miffed that Belichick promoted the younger and less experienced McDaniels to coordinator ahead of him when Charlie Weis left for Notre Dame in 2005.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us