Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 210

Thread: Tweets & News 1/14

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    But...but...that goes against everything the geniuses around here have been saying?
    Are you insinuating that a former NFL scout knows more than the JI Short Bus Brigade?













  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Why is it easier to believe this guy than any of the other guys tweeting differently? This guy says something we want to believe. I just want this situation resolved today. There's a college all-star practice this week that the top man on the Jets with final say in the draft should be attending.
    I want it resolved too. If KF wasn't running this search, I'd be sick thinking about who WJ, who knows very little about the culture of the NFL, would hire.

    KF has a reputation to uphold. The firm's become a leader in the field by hiring great people for these jobs. Jed H. and his team can't just rest on their laurels and say, "well, we've had success in the past, but we're going to run a search that concludes with a guy who no one thinks is qualified and will probably usher into a return to the RK years. Yep that will be great for our business going forward! Let's get this done guys."

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Mike McCartney ‏@MikeMcCartney7
    I've spoken with too many personnel guys who would relish the #Jets GM job. I'm not buying recent reports nobody wants it.


    FYI: McCartney is a Former #NFL Pro Scouting Director.
    The media is filled with either incompetence or misguided negativity. I don't see the media reporting that the Bears,Eagles, Chargers, Jaguars and Cards "can't give away" their head coaching jobs. They have yet to hire anyone to fill those positions but just like the Jets. They eventually will.

    If you listen to the media, The Jets will never hire an OC, a GM and will be eternally over the cap and be banned from the league for doing so next season. Even though by the start of the league year, The Jets are going to be 11.3 million under the cap.

  4. #24
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Why is it easier to believe this guy than any of the other guys tweeting differently? This guy says something we want to believe. I just want this situation resolved today. There's a college all-star practice this week that the top man on the Jets with final say in the draft should be attending.
    Because common sense says that it is impossible that all 14 candidates the Jets interviewed don't want the job.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I have no doubt Mike McCartney knows dozens of QC guys or fifth-tier personnel people that would love to have the job.
    Yes. I'm sure McCartney speaks to guys who are totally out of the loop.

    http://www.prioritysports.biz/football/staff

    Mike McCartney has been involved in college football and the NFL as a coach, scout and personnel executive for more than 20 years. As the Quarterbacks Coach and Assistant Recruiting Coordinator at Colorado from 1987 through the 1989 season, Mike helped his father, Head Coach Bill McCartney, turn Colorado into a national power before moving on to coach at North Carolina for the 1990 and 1991 seasons. Over the next 6 years, Mike worked as a College and Pro Scout for the Chicago Bears. In 1998, Mike joined the Philadelphia Eagles as their Director of Pro Personnel. During his tenure, Mike was a key contributor in transforming the Eagles from a 3-13 club to a team that was 2 games away from the Super Bowl. As Director of Football Operations for Priority Sports, Mike was the first top-level front-office executive in the NFL to leave the league, during the salary cap era, for a major football representation firm. Mike brings the perspective and contacts of an NFL Scout and Executive which is invaluable to Priority clients in preparation for the NFL Draft and the upcoming NFL season. Mike received his Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology from Colorado, and his Master’s in Sports Administration from North Carolina. He and his wife Jenni, reside in Downers Grove, Illinois, with their 3 sons, Nickolas, Justin & Brandon, and daughter Alexa.

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,202
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Yes. I'm sure McCartney speaks to guys who are totally out of the loop.

    http://www.prioritysports.biz/football/staff
    All due respect. Anything from this decade?

    Last thing I can find from him is a blog from 2009.

    Not saying he doesn't know anything or anyone but he is far from being a big time NFL insider.

    Also, I don't think anyone is saying that NOBODY wants the job. I think the point people are making is that anybody worth having doesn't want the job. There is a difference.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-14-2013 at 10:27 AM.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I have no doubt Mike McCartney knows dozens of QC guys or fifth-tier personnel people that would love to have the job.
    Yes, a long time NFL front office man knows less than Dee-Dee-Dee-NYJets on a message board.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Because common sense says that it is impossible that all 14 candidates the Jets interviewed don't want the job.
    Exactly.

    What's amazing is WJ a billionaire who doesn't have to answer to anyone had the brains to fire Tanny, the guy who he leaned on for all of his football savvy and then concluded "this is above my pay grade. I need help picking the next GM" and hires this great firm to manage the search, and yet, people are killing WJ for a decision that hasn't even been made yet.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    All due respect. Anything from this decade?

    Last thing I can find from him is a blog from 2009.

    Not saying he doesn't know anything or anyone but he is far from being a big time NFL insider.

    Also, I don't think anyone is saying that NOBODY wants the job. I think the point people are making is that anybody worth having doesn't want the job. There is a difference.
    Fair enough, but just because you've moved away from that end of the business doesn't mean you don't speak to people who are stil in the mix.

    Glazer said the Jets can't "give the job away." That sounds like nobody wants it to me. That's a joke and anyone who thinks for 2 seconds knows it.

  10. #30
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    But...but...that goes against everything the geniuses around here have been saying?
    What geniuses?

  11. #31
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,145
    Quote Originally Posted by TexJet View Post
    What geniuses?
    You know, the mooks who think that just because they don't approve of Rex, that every quality GM candidate out there must be turned off by him as well.

  12. #32
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,202
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Fair enough, but just because you've moved away from that end of the business doesn't mean you don't speak to people who are stil in the mix.

    Glazer said the Jets can't "give the job away." That sounds like nobody wants it to me. That's a joke and anyone who thinks for 2 seconds knows it.
    Obviously Glazer overstated. But I think his point is that one that I made. I think he is talking about the top-notch candidates.

    I have no idea why Gamble wasn't hired. He was widely considered a top candidate and it certainly looked like he wanted the job. But he might have been the only one and I fear that we missed the boat. I am not sure who leaked that his interview went bad but I am suspicious that the Jets did that to try and save some face b.c I think Rex didn't want him. That is just my opinion but I think Rex wants to be the alpha dog. I know that Woody said he was hiring the GM with some input from Rex but I happen to believe Rex has considerable persuasion with Woody.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Obviously Glazer overstated. But I think his point is that one that I made. I think he is talking about the top-notch candidates.

    I have no idea why Gamble wasn't hired. He was widely considered a top candidate and it certainly looked like he wanted the job. But he might have been the only one and I fear that we missed the boat. I am not sure who leaked that his interview went bad but I am suspicious that the Jets did that to try and save some face b.c I think Rex didn't want him. That is just my opinion but I think Rex wants to be the alpha dog. I know that Woody said he was hiring the GM with some input from Rex but I happen to believe Rex has considerable persuasion with Woody.
    None of us know for sure, but if Rex is offering up jackass suggestions and input, rest assured KF is working overtime to steer WJ correctly. Their asses are on the line here too.

  14. #34
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,202
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    None of us know for sure, but if Rex is offering up jackass suggestions and input, rest assured KF is working overtime to steer WJ correctly. Their asses are on the line here too.
    That is true.

    I do think there are some positives to the search being longer. I think Woody is learning the league and the personnel people. But on the flip side, these people might be learning more about Woody. That might not be a good thing. LOL.

  15. #35
    Bob Glauber ‏@BobGlauber

    Was told very early in Jets' GM search it would be deliberate and thorough. Could last til week of Super Bowl. Think it ends sooner though.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Bob Glauber ‏@BobGlauber

    Was told very early in Jets' GM search it would be deliberate and thorough. Could last til week of Super Bowl. Think it ends sooner though.
    Maybe it is Gamble and he asked Woody to wait until the Niners were done in the playoffs.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    That is true.

    I do think there are some positives to the search being longer. I think Woody is learning the league and the personnel people. But on the flip side, these people might be learning more about Woody. That might not be a good thing. LOL.
    Amen. If Woody's learning more about how the NFL really works now that Tanny's no longer feeding him all of the answers he wanted WJ to hear, I think that's a GREAT thing, because barring something unforeseen, I's say WJ will own the NYJ for a long time.

  18. #38
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,241
    RE: offensive coordinator

    Mannish tweeted that the Jets will meet with Cam Cameron today and Standford OC pep Hamilton tomorrow

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Bob Glauber ‏@BobGlauber

    Was told very early in Jets' GM search it would be deliberate and thorough. Could last til week of Super Bowl. Think it ends sooner though.
    Anyone know if it's common practice for FO people to wait until their team is out of the running before announcing a new job?

    That could have nothing to do with the delay, or everything.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Anyone know if it's common practice for FO people to wait until their team is out of the running before announcing a new job?

    That could have nothing to do with the delay, or everything.
    Caldwell and Dorsey both were announced as leaving before their teams were out (ATL is still in)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us