Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tweets & News 1/14

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Tweets & News 1/14

Mike McCartney ‏@MikeMcCartney7
    I've spoken with too many personnel guys who would relish the #Jets GM job. I'm not buying recent reports nobody wants it.

FYI: McCartney is a Former #NFL Pro Scouting Director.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    But...but...that goes against everything the geniuses around here have been saying?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    But...but...that goes against everything the geniuses around here have been saying?
    Logic and critical thinking isn't the strong suit of many around here.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Mike McCartney ‏@MikeMcCartney7
    I've spoken with too many personnel guys who would relish the #Jets GM job. I'm not buying recent reports nobody wants it.

FYI: McCartney is a Former #NFL Pro Scouting Director.
    But SAR I says differently. Who are you gonna believe?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets1958 View Post
    I'll take the words of professional well known NFL personnel guy any day over any forum troll thank you.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    and Jake Steinberg, a college student who wants to be an agent, tweeted that the search is "a mess" last week.

So I'm going to ignore what McCartney says he's been told directly from people who actually work in the field in favor of a tweet by a college student.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
    I'll take the words of professional well known NFL personnel guy any day over any forum troll thank you.
    Maybe the Jets eventually will just bring back Mike Tannenbaum.

Something has to happen at some point, because Jets owner Woody Johnson is having a hard time finding a new General Manager. Per Jay Glazer of FOX, the team “can’t give the position away.”

Glazer says the Jets are calling back candidates who already have turned them down, asking them to reconsider. Meanwhile, guys they wanted who had other options (like Dave Caldwell and Tom Telesco) opted to go elsewhere.

So where will they go from here? Adam Schefter of ESPN reported earlier today that the Jets plan to have follow-up discussions this week with two of the candidates who haven’t turn them down (yet), and that the name to watch is former Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo. Per Schefter, Jets assistant G.M. Scott Cohen also is expected to be part of the process.

Making the job unattractive is the circus surrounding the franchise, from being forced to keep coach Rex Ryan for at least one year to the quarterback situation to a salary-cap mess, the job is viewed as not attractive.

Actually, those factors could make the job more attractive, because it could give the guy who takes the job a scholarship year with no expectations. Then, with a better cap and roster situation in 2014 and a license to hire a new coach, the new G.M. wouldn’t be on the clock until 2014.

If that doesn’t help the Jets get someone they want, the best play could be to promote Cohen, see how 2013 goes, and if necessary fire everyone after the coming season and start from scratch.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...position-away/

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's see:

- Biggest market and stage in the world
    - An owner that is willing to open up his wallet

Yes, why in the world would any respectable GM candidate want to come here?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Maybe the Jets eventually will just bring back Mike Tannenbaum.

Something has to happen at some point, because Jets owner Woody Johnson is having a hard time finding a new General Manager. Per Jay Glazer of FOX, the team “can’t give the position away.”

Glazer says the Jets are calling back candidates who already have turned them down, asking them to reconsider. Meanwhile, guys they wanted who had other options (like Dave Caldwell and Tom Telesco) opted to go elsewhere.

So where will they go from here? Adam Schefter of ESPN reported earlier today that the Jets plan to have follow-up discussions this week with two of the candidates who haven’t turn them down (yet), and that the name to watch is former Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo. Per Schefter, Jets assistant G.M. Scott Cohen also is expected to be part of the process.

Making the job unattractive is the circus surrounding the franchise, from being forced to keep coach Rex Ryan for at least one year to the quarterback situation to a salary-cap mess, the job is viewed as not attractive.

Actually, those factors could make the job more attractive, because it could give the guy who takes the job a scholarship year with no expectations. Then, with a better cap and roster situation in 2014 and a license to hire a new coach, the new G.M. wouldn’t be on the clock until 2014.

If that doesn’t help the Jets get someone they want, the best play could be to promote Cohen, see how 2013 goes, and if necessary fire everyone after the coming season and start from scratch.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...position-away/
    A chance to be an NFL GM, with a top flight search firm running the search, and we're expected to believe via Glazer that no one will take the job? Laughable.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    A chance to be an NFL GM, with a top flight search firm running the search, and we're expected to believe via Glazer that no one will take the job? Laughable.
    I have no idea who to believe. Just posting the article.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR 1

You mean SAR 1 really doesn't know diddly squat...............I thought so

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could there be folks who think they might land a better job next year and walk away from this opportunity? Sure.

But Glazer's quote - "can't give job away" - is a joke. A GM job's not like a 1981 Betamax tape of Logan's Run.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Believe the scout

Every candidate who agreed to an interview,wanted the job, except for Caldwell,who always intended to go to the Jaguars. Heckert was the only one who declined.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, could someone please explain why Woody, Glat and the firm should worry at all about a person who turns this down and in effect is saying "I don't think I can do the job. I can't succeed at this opportunity" ?

That right there tells me that's the wrong person to hire and if I'm WJ I'm thrilled this person admitted it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Every candidate who agreed to an interview,wanted the job, except for Caldwell,who always intended to go to the Jaguars. Heckert was the only one who declined.
    And as someone wrote yesterday and I agree, the Jets could have called back Heckert after he lost out on the KC GM job to see if he was now interested.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why is it easier to believe this guy than any of the other guys tweeting differently? This guy says something we want to believe. I just want this situation resolved today. There's a college all-star practice this week that the top man on the Jets with final say in the draft should be attending.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know, but if you just look at it without all the media slants it just doesn't make sense. At least 10 people have interviewed for a position that is a dream Job for any aspiring football executive. The pinnacle of sports management. I just don't buy that these men would line up to interview and just say thanks but no thanks.

Tom Heckert who's been fired twice I believe was not interested which tells me all I need to know about him.

This is a dream job and the Jets are looking for the best fit. They're smart to talk to as many candidates as possible before deciding.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no doubt Mike McCartney knows dozens of QC guys or fifth-tier personnel people that would love to have the job.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
    I know, but if you just look at it without all the media slants it just doesn't make sense. At least 10 people have interviewed for a position that is a dream Job for any aspiring football executive. The pinnacle of sports management. I just don't buy that these men would line up to interview and just say thanks but no thanks.

Tom Heckert who's been fired twice I believe was not interested which tells me all I need to know about him.

This is a dream job and the Jets are looking for the best fit. They're smart to talk to as many candidates as possible before deciding.
    There might be some overriding factor. Rex? Salary cap? Woody? Sanchez? Or a combination of all these issues which could spell disaster for a first time GM and his future.

In my life, over the years, I've turned down jobs because I didn't like the dynamic. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes? We'll find out once the process ends and someone who didn't take the job speaks about it.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

gm

Anybody consider that perhaps Gamble is trying to do the right thing by his current organization and not create a distraction while they are still alive in the playoffs?