Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 76

Thread: Just heard on ESPN radio..(not Jets related)

  1. #21
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Schaub essentially has one WR to throw the ball to. The Texans have never had a complement to Johnson. It's why we've traditionally played so well against them; match Revis up against Johnson, and they have no passing offense to speak of. If that team had even a halfway decent second WR, they'd put up pinball numbers
    but Schaub doesn't make any of them better either. They do have Daniels, who is one of the better receiving TEs in the league and is a mismatch vs. every LB and many safeties in the league. I agree they don't have much in WR2 material -- Walter? Posey? Before that Jacoby Jones. not exactly Green Bay talent -- or even Tampa Bay -- there.

  2. #22
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,164
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FMJets View Post
    At this point I would probably take Schaub over RG3 and Wilson because he has been successful longer. RG3 might not last 4 years.
    Schaub over russel wilson? WOW

    Teams can win a playoff game with a QB like schaub, no question, but he is never going to be a QB that puts the team on his back and carries them to big playoff wins in the later rounds.

    He simply doesnt do enough well to be able to make that leap.

    Does he need more weapons, sure, but he also has the best RB in football, a line with 3 pro-bowlers on it, and andre johnson. Oh, and a top 5 defense.

    Not sure what else you need to see from the guy...russell wilson has done more with less talent, and has a ceiling about 25 times higher then schaub

  3. #23
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    356
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellaz View Post
    This is the most reasonable post you've had regarding Sanchez. I agree that there's a 70% chance he sucks. The truth is, Sanchez did play extremely well in the playoffs and held his own in both the AFCCG losses. He spotted the D a lead against Indy that they couldn't hold and came back strong after getting down big in the first half against Pitt (although I still think the fumble before the half for a Pitt TD was actually an incomplete pass). That gives one last glimmer of hope for Sanchez, but we also have to remember that was 2 years ago and the mental breakdown he has shown since is why the odds are so high that he's done. With no sure-thing franchise QB available via the draft or free agency, I won't be surprised if he ends up starting for the Jets next season. I still don't think we have anything long-term in McElroy, and Tebow is NOT an NFL QB. Matt Moore I think is the best stop-gap option to actually challenge or replace Sanchez next year and we need to set our sights on 2014 being the year to get a real QB if Sanchez can't right the ship.
    I also agree with SAR's assessement. Great QB's dont grow on trees and since there isn't a clear cut "great one " coming out of the draft, we might as well roll the dice. There absolutely has to be an experience back up such as Matt Moore, so we can pull the plug early by week 3 or so.

  4. #24
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,485
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Nope.

    Just like Rex Ryan's postseason success has him hanging by a thread on the sidelines, Mark Sanchez' postseason success has him hanging by a thread on the roster. Both get a chance for redemption. Rex with a new GM and a new set of coordinators. Mark with a new coordinator, QB coach, and some legitimate weapons.

    I never saw Joe Namath play. But I saw tons of Richard Todd, Ken O'Brien, Boomer Esiason, Neil O'Donnell, Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, and Kellen Clemens and none of them could do what Mark Sanchez could do in the playoffs. None of them.

    There's a 70% chance that Mark Sanchez sucks and is done. But there's a 30% chance that we mishandled him and took away all his playmakers and he's a really good QB that was neglected. Finding a franchise QB is so hard we simply have to see if he still has it.

    SAR I
    Mike Westhoff thinks Sanchez has limitations, but can be successful with a great team around him.
    A nice way of saying, “the kid doesn’t have it” and if you are going to win, “then you will need to win in spite of him, not because of him.”

    Draft any QB before round 5 and you can get someone who could do that.

    With that, Sanchez deserves another shot, just not with the Jets.

  5. #25
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,247
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to ESPN analysts there are 20 "Top Ten QBS."

  6. #26
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post

    With that, Sanchez deserves another shot, just not with the Jets.
    Sanchez's mentality belongs on the West Coast. I would not be surprised if he did well back out West. Especially in, say, Arizona. He will miss a very good opportunity this year to earn a starting job on that team due to his untradable contract.

    I would feel bad for Sanchez if he wasn't overpaid for how poorly he played for his first four seasons in the NFL.

  7. #27
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post


    +1

    Not only that, but some quarterbacks are playoff-ready and some are not. You could see it all through the weekend, QB's that play badly under playoff pressure.

    Say what you want about Mark Sanchez, but he's money in the playoffs. 60% completions, 9 TD's to 3 INT's, QBR of 94.5. 4-2 record. Arguably the best Jet on the field in the two losses. 6 playoff games, not a bad one yet.

    It's the primary reason I want him to get a legitimate second look in a new offense. There's no point in going to the playoffs if your QB isn't capable of handling it once he's there. Mark Sanchez has cleared that hurdle.

    SAR I
    +1

    Sanchez is a momentum QB... when rolling good he gets better... when rolling bad he goes off the cliff.

    We need coaches in place to avoid that type of play... he clearly has the skills, just needs to get his head straight.

  8. #28
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    356
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    have to agree, Schaub is fine and they have no weapons other than those 2 guys and are easy to game plan against...

    But that’s what happens when you spend 9 out of your last 10 - 1st round picks on a defensive players.
    I wonder what DC think when they game plan for the Jets. Probably saying to themselves..they have a RB that cant break a big one, their WR's are Gilyard, Gates, Schillens, and Kerley, TE is Cumberland, and with Sanchez throwing them the ball.

  9. #29
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTime View Post

    Sanchez is not an NFL QB
    This is fixed and accurate.

    You guys keep shining that turd all it's going to show is your reflection.

  10. #30
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,357
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Okay, all joking aside SAR, here's my real thought on Sanchez.

    Quarterbacks are fragile creatures (egos). They have been told all their life how good they are, they get the headlines, and they get the girls. All Sanchez has known until the NFL is success.

    What happens to most qbs is that they get to the NFL and they all meet with some failure. Most of these qbs have fragile egos and once they are damaged, remain that way. The NFL is littered with talent that crumbled.

    Sanchez had early success but he wasn't asked to carry the team. The last 2 years, he's been put in a position where he's been asked to shoulder more of the responsibility and he's failed miserably. Some of it is his fault. Some of it is the talent. Some of it is the coaching.

    The bottom line is that Sanchez is damaged goods at this point. Can he come back, yes. Are the percentages in his favor, no. The question is will he have the support system and coaching around him to help him succeed.... unlikely with the cap issues/changes.
    Agreed.

    Thing is, we owe him $8M, he's the only NFL QB on the roster presently, and he's going to be on the field in Cortland in 5 months.

    We owe it to ourselves to see if he's got anything left after the last two seasons of misery. Yes, the ego and confidence of a QB is a fragile thing, but taking massive shots and getting back up time and time again is actually one of Sanchez' strengths.

    SAR I

  11. #31
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,357
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellaz View Post
    This is the most reasonable post you've had regarding Sanchez. I agree that there's a 70% chance he sucks. The truth is, Sanchez did play extremely well in the playoffs and held his own in both the AFCCG losses. He spotted the D a lead against Indy that they couldn't hold and came back strong after getting down big in the first half against Pitt (although I still think the fumble before the half for a Pitt TD was actually an incomplete pass). That gives one last glimmer of hope for Sanchez, but we also have to remember that was 2 years ago and the mental breakdown he has shown since is why the odds are so high that he's done. With no sure-thing franchise QB available via the draft or free agency, I won't be surprised if he ends up starting for the Jets next season. I still don't think we have anything long-term in McElroy, and Tebow is NOT an NFL QB. Matt Moore I think is the best stop-gap option to actually challenge or replace Sanchez next year and we need to set our sights on 2014 being the year to get a real QB if Sanchez can't right the ship.
    Agree to a point.

    If we're not going to stick with Mark and support him I'd rather not go down the route of picking up a Dolphin scrub and instead take a chance in the draft or tank a few seasons until the next Luck-type emerges.

    SAR I

  12. #32
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,357
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Mike Westhoff thinks Sanchez has limitations, but can be successful with a great team around him.
    A nice way of saying, “the kid doesn’t have it” and if you are going to win, “then you will need to win in spite of him, not because of him.”

    Draft any QB before round 5 and you can get someone who could do that.

    With that, Sanchez deserves another shot, just not with the Jets.
    Rex Ryan is still our coach. Rex Ryan is still going to run the same philosophy of a stout defense and a power running game, and without a Peyton Manning type on the roster we still were within 60 minutes of the Super Bowl twice.

    What we saw this weekend (for the most part) were very close games that required a quarterback to rise up with a few minutes on the clock and make some big plays for a shot at a win. Mark Sanchez pulled out 4 miracle wins in 2011, and another one in the playoffs. He's made big-time throws in the playoffs to the likes of Edwards and Holmes, finding the open guy for the TD at Indy or squeezing in a brilliant throw at NE.

    Yes, Mark Sanchez is a mess right now. But he's been playing football for 16 years and the hope is that these last 2 didn't ruin him for good. He's on the roster, he's due a lot of our money, we need to rebuild anyway, might as well give him another look with a new offense, a good QB coach, some playmakers.

    SAR I

  13. #33
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,357
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    This is fixed and accurate.

    You guys keep shining that turd all it's going to show is your reflection.
    It's best for the Jets if you're wrong. Say a prayer for him at least.

    SAR I

  14. #34
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Rex Ryan is still our coach. Rex Ryan is still going to run the same philosophy of a stout defense and a power running game, and without a Peyton Manning type on the roster we still were within 60 minutes of the Super Bowl twice.

    What we saw this weekend (for the most part) were very close games that required a quarterback to rise up with a few minutes on the clock and make some big plays for a shot at a win. Mark Sanchez pulled out 4 miracle wins in 2011, and another one in the playoffs. He's made big-time throws in the playoffs to the likes of Edwards and Holmes, finding the open guy for the TD at Indy or squeezing in a brilliant throw at NE.

    Yes, Mark Sanchez is a mess right now. But he's been playing football for 16 years and the hope is that these last 2 didn't ruin him for good. He's on the roster, he's due a lot of our money, we need to rebuild anyway, might as well give him another look with a new offense, a good QB coach, some playmakers.

    SAR I
    I'm all for it if it yields the worst record in football next year and a top pick in the 2014 draft, which could be Bridgewater, Clowney, or possibly even Manziel.

    I could absolutely care less about the 2013. New OC, Rex's last year, scrub GM. LOLOL. Mark Sanchez's best gift to this organization for all that money would be a solid 1-15, 2-14 season to allow this team to actually rebuild like it needs to.

  15. #35
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    It's best for the Jets if you're wrong. Say a prayer for him at least.

    SAR I
    Nope, it's best for the Jets if he continues to stink and continues to get opportunities so this team can get the high draft pick(s) it needs to form a consistent winner.

  16. #36
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,357
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Nope, it's best for the Jets if he continues to stink and continues to get opportunities so this team can get the high draft pick(s) it needs to form a consistent winner.
    I can buy into that very easily. No different than Rex Ryan.

    Let them suck to hell or let them be brilliant. No in between.

    SAR I

  17. #37
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    827
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Nope.

    Just like Rex Ryan's postseason success has him hanging by a thread on the sidelines, Mark Sanchez' postseason success has him hanging by a thread on the roster. Both get a chance for redemption. Rex with a new GM and a new set of coordinators. Mark with a new coordinator, QB coach, and some legitimate weapons.

    I never saw Joe Namath play. But I saw tons of Richard Todd, Ken O'Brien, Boomer Esiason, Neil O'Donnell, Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, and Kellen Clemens and none of them could do what Mark Sanchez could do in the playoffs. None of them.

    There's a 70% chance that Mark Sanchez sucks and is done. But there's a 30% chance that we mishandled him and took away all his playmakers and he's a really good QB that was neglected. Finding a franchise QB is so hard we simply have to see if he still has it.

    SAR I
    I def agree.

    A good example is Alex Smith who was flat out awful for the first 4-5 years in his career and they went through 5 different OC who probably had different philosophies. Now Smith is more efficient and a dependable starter probably for most NFL teams.

  18. #38
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    I def agree.

    A good example is Alex Smith who was flat out awful for the first 4-5 years in his career and they went through 5 different OC who probably had different philosophies. Now Smith is more efficient and a dependable starter probably for most NFL teams.
    This fallacy needs to die.

    The Niners offense has huge talent. Crabtree, Moss, Davis, Gore, James, Hunter (out) great O-line......

    Smith was merely adequate at not losing games despite this. You stick him almost anywhere else, he will be awful.

    Anybody who feels he can be more than a decent backup is nuts. Smith is AWFUL.

  19. #39
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,678
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FMJets View Post
    Matt Schaub is a top 10 QB, but just needs more playmakers!!!
    If this guy can't win in the playoffs with what he has in Andre Johnson and Arian Foster (and a decent TE that I cant remember the name of), he will never win.

    Just to make this Jets related. What kind of garbage were we fielding on offense this year for our QB's and maybe future QB's?
    How many times did the OL and Arian Foster fail to get into the end zone inside the 5 yard line? THAT'S what killed them.

    And the dropped pass by Casey that would have been a sure 6 on their first drive set the tone for the entire game.

  20. #40
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    827
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    This fallacy needs to die.

    The Niners offense has huge talent. Crabtree, Moss, Davis, Gore, James, Hunter (out) great O-line......

    Smith was merely adequate at not losing games despite this. You stick him almost anywhere else, he will be awful.

    Anybody who feels he can be more than a decent backup is nuts. Smith is AWFUL.
    Sorry not a fallacy.

    Niners OL is inconsistent at best...even worse than that a few years ago.

    Vernon Davis is a freak but he is also inconsistent and sometimes decides to turn the switch off.

    Crabtree finally showed some consistency this year.

    Smith is a decent QB.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us