Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just heard on ESPN radio..(not Jets related)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    This fallacy needs to die.

The Niners offense has huge talent. Crabtree, Moss, Davis, Gore, James, Hunter (out) great O-line......

Smith was merely adequate at not losing games despite this. You stick him almost anywhere else, he will be awful.

Anybody who feels he can be more than a decent backup is nuts. Smith is AWFUL.
    Completely agree....and there is really no other argument as smith was replaced by his own HC for a younger more "inconsistent" player that had much greater upside.

There is no doubt that smith perservered and is a guy that can win 12 games on a great team, but he is not the type of player that can take over a game on his own. Smith threw for 5 tds and 0 ints in the playoffs last year, and SF squeaked by new orleans at home and lost to the giants. So yes, he did play well, and certainly "managed" the game but he also couldnt get to that next level.

Hes good and never will be great...not sure what other argument there is.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    Sorry not a fallacy.

Niners OL is inconsistent at best...even worse than that a few years ago.

Vernon Davis is a freak but he is also inconsistent and sometimes decides to turn the switch off.

Crabtree finally showed some consistency this year.

Smith is a decent QB.
    Iupati may be the best guard in the NFL this year. Davis is a very, very good young right tackle.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Completely agree...
    Hes good and never will be great...not sure what other argument there is.
    So you completely agree that Smith is awful like the last poster said, but you concluded your post by saying that he is good...so that being said I would take him over the following:

Sanchez
    Fitzpatrick
    Tannehill
    Kolb/whoever else the cards have
    Romo
    Palmer
    Schaub
    Locker
    Weeden
    Henne
    Cassel
    Freeman
    Bradford
    Ponder

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been saying it for years, Schaub is a chump. He couldn't lead a dog on a leash. He compiles numbers when things go good, then disappears when things are bad. He'll never take a team deep into the playoffs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

+1

Not only that, but some quarterbacks are playoff-ready and some are not. You could see it all through the weekend, QB's that play badly under playoff pressure.

Say what you want about Mark Sanchez, but he's money in the playoffs. 60% completions, 9 TD's to 3 INT's, QBR of 94.5. 4-2 record. Arguably the best Jet on the field in the two losses. 6 playoff games, not a bad one yet.

It's the primary reason I want him to get a legitimate second look in a new offense. There's no point in going to the playoffs if your QB isn't capable of handling it once he's there. Mark Sanchez has cleared that hurdle.

SAR I
    Unfortunately, that Mark Sanchez may no longer exist and that is the greatest misfortune.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Unfortunately, that Mark Sanchez may no longer exist and that is the greatest misfortune.
    This.

I watch highlights of 09/10 seasons and I'm mind boggled into watching the QB that I have seen.

Sign me up for the QB we had in those seasons. But sadly, I think that time has came and gone. His ego and confidence is shot and the only way he can fix it is a change of scenery.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    So you completely agree that Smith is awful like the last poster said, but you concluded your post by saying that he is good...so that being said I would take him over the following:

Sanchez
    Fitzpatrick
    Tannehill
    Kolb/whoever else the cards have
    Romo
    Palmer
    Schaub
    Locker
    Weeden
    Henne
    Cassel
    Freeman
    Bradford
    Ponder
    Actually the poster i quoted said he was "decent" which I agree with.

I would probably not take him over freeman due to age, and while I dont like bradford very much, Id have to think he could do just as good a job with the 49ers offense.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Actually the poster i quoted said he was "decent" which I agree with.

I would probably not take him over freeman due to age, and while I dont like bradford very much, Id have to think he could do just as good a job with the 49ers offense.
    oh ok my bad thought you were referring to the guy that said he was awful.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez was never "decent."

His career completion percentage isn't close to 60%.

It just so happens that the best game of his career came against the Pats in the playoffs. Take that game out and his postseason stats are more in line with his regular season stats.

Sanchez was a bad pick in essentially every measure.

1) You don't draft QB's out of USC.

2) You don't draft a guy with two total years of starting in High School and college combined to immediately start for your team in the NFL.

It was also an extremely poor job by the general manager and head coach of understanding what they had: In 2009 had they had a stop gap "game manager," they likely would have had a fresher defense and fresh Thomas Jones in the playoffs. They also likely would have won 1-2 more games in the regular season.

Look Derek Anderson was a Pro-Bowler. Trent Dilfer has won a Super Bowl winner. The Pats game was similar.

Even turds can step in **** every now and then.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, it's best for the Jets if he continues to stink and continues to get opportunities so this team can get the high draft pick(s) it needs to form a consistent winner.
    No, it's best for the Jets for Mark Sanchez to become NFL MVP and Rex Ryan to become Coach Of The Year.

There comes a point where all the b*tching comes to an end and we root for the team as-is and move forward.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    This.

I watch highlights of 09/10 seasons and I'm mind boggled into watching the QB that I have seen.

Sign me up for the QB we had in those seasons. But sadly, I think that time has came and gone. His ego and confidence is shot and the only way he can fix it is a change of scenery.
    The hope is that we mismanaged him. It's happened before. Favre was a mess in Atlanta, Young a disaster in Tampa. I'm certainly not putting Sanchez on that pedestal, just pointing out it wouldn't be the first time that a coach, coordinator, and roster doomed a QB who was really good and made him look pathetic.

There's one thing that Mark Sanchez has always been very good at- bouncing back. Be it a hit, be it a big loss, be it a salvo of bad press, Mark Sanchez always gets up and gets ready for the next play. So the theory that he's "doomed" in New York because of his last two seasons, I don't buy it. I know that as fans, if Mark gets off to a great start and we go 3-0 it'll be like the '11 and '12 seasons never happened.

Let us pray.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, it's best for the Jets for Mark Sanchez to become NFL MVP and Rex Ryan to become Coach Of The Year.

There comes a point where all the b*tching comes to an end and we root for the team as-is and move forward.

SAR I
    If I give you my address, will you send me some of your drugs?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez was never "decent."

His career completion percentage isn't close to 60%.

It just so happens that the best game of his career came against the Pats in the playoffs.
    So what you're saying is that Mark Sanchez elevated his game in the playoffs, specifically during the biggest game in Jets history since Super Bowl III, and might have been the best Jet on the field that day.

Thank you. I agree wholeheartedly. That's why he's worth another look. Lots of teams make the playoffs; only those with battle-tested postseason quarterbacks win it all. Pray for him.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I give you my address, will you send me some of your drugs?
    I didn't say it's going to happen. I said it's best for the team.

If our HC and QB go back to what we thought they were in August 2011 we can turn this thing around quickly. While in my heart I want the whole thing to blow up because I think we need a rebuild, NFL history is littered with stories of HC's and QB's who looked like crap and bounced back to greatness.

Maybe this is God's way of rewarding us. Make us suffer the lowest low before we get to the highest high. Hey, people were thinking we could make the playoffs sitting in Tennessee with a 0.001% chance; I put Mark bouncing back at 30% and Rex bouncing back at 10%, significantly better than the dreamers in Tennessee.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

+1

Not only that, but some quarterbacks are playoff-ready and some are not. You could see it all through the weekend, QB's that play badly under playoff pressure.

Say what you want about Mark Sanchez, but he's money in the playoffs. 60% completions, 9 TD's to 3 INT's, QBR of 94.5. 4-2 record. Arguably the best Jet on the field in the two losses. 6 playoff games, not a bad one yet.

It's the primary reason I want him to get a legitimate second look in a new offense. There's no point in going to the playoffs if your QB isn't capable of handling it once he's there. Mark Sanchez has cleared that hurdle.

SAR I
    Maybe we can draft a decent regular season QB to get us into the playoffs then call Sanchez in from the bullpen as some sort of Trevor Hoffman style closer.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    Doesn't that also apply to the coaching staff as well?

If you dont want anyone to complain about Sanchez, then you shouldn't be allowed to complain about Rex, if they are both here in 2013. Both of them have had a ****ty couple of years.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Doesn't that also apply to the coaching staff as well?

If you dont want anyone to complain about Sanchez, then you shouldn't be allowed to complain about Rex, if they are both here in 2013. Both of them have had a ****ty couple of years.
    Yes.

But with one asterisk*

Mark Sanchez is still a baby. He's only 26 years old. He has zero say in the roster that's assembled to support him. He has zero say in the coaches that are assembled to put him in a position to succeed. He hasn't peaked, still has some room to grow.

Rex Ryan is a 50 year old, set in his ways head coach. He had 100% say in the roster that's assembled to support him. He had 100% say in the coaching staff that are assembled to go to war with him. He peaked with someone else's roster, steady decline in the years for which his "stamp" was put on the team.

It's easier to believe Mark can turn it around than Rex. And if we're wrong about Mark, well, we just plug another QB in there. But if we're wrong about Rex, ruins the franchise for years.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Maybe we can draft a decent regular season QB to get us into the playoffs then call Sanchez in from the bullpen as some sort of Trevor Hoffman style closer.
    Don't laugh. It's a good idea. I always liked the concept of the relief quarterback, thought about it back in the late Testaverde era because he was great late in games but got off to terribly slow starts, put us in a hole all the time.

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes.

But with one asterisk*

Mark Sanchez is still a baby. He's only 26 years old. He has zero say in the roster that's assembled to support him. He has zero say in the coaches that are assembled to put him in a position to succeed. He hasn't peaked, still has some room to grow.

Rex Ryan is a 50 year old, set in his ways head coach. He had 100% say in the roster that's assembled to support him. He had 100% say in the coaching staff that are assembled to go to war with him. He peaked with someone else's roster, steady decline in the years for which his "stamp" was put on the team.

It's easier to believe Mark can turn it around than Rex. And if we're wrong about Mark, well, we just plug another QB in there. But if we're wrong about Rex, ruins the franchise for years.

SAR I
    SAR youve made a good argument, but I still feel we need to bring some legit competition for Sanchez. If a guy like Matt Moore or Carson Palmer is brought in here he will need to beat them to prove that he can start.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would rather have Mark Sanchez than Matt Schaub, Schaub is just good enough to lead you along but will never get you to the promised land, Sanchez can win big games but can also play his way out of the NFL leading where you can replace the guy easily.

Schaub was so unimpressive yesterday, seemed like the Texans needed to put together 20 play drives to score.