Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Just heard on ESPN radio..(not Jets related)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Don't laugh. It's a good idea. I always liked the concept of the relief quarterback, thought about it back in the late Testaverde era because he was great late in games but got off to terribly slow starts, put us in a hole all the time.

SAR I
    There is no question that Sanchez has(or maybe HAD)something intangible those first 2 years.That Pittsburgh AFCCG game I swear had we stopped Big Ben that Sanchez would've driven us down into a winning position.I remember that game so clearly and in the second half Mark was money....Just one more possession and I truly believe we'd have scored and gone ahead.Seems crazy to say it now but it's true,something about the kid back then had you believing in him,believing that while he may never be a glamorous 'stat' compiler he was ballsy.He was 'our quarterback'.
    I truly hope he can recapture that but sadly I think he may be too far gone,too toxic with the fans and media..and only a complete scenery change can fix him.They say form is temporary but class is permanent and with Sanchez it really isn't clear whether he's the guy that couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo(unless it's wearing an opponents jersey) or the guy that we've seen make some of the most beautiful plays in our recent history.
    Last edited by Redlichtie; 01-14-2013 at 05:39 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes.

But with one asterisk*

Mark Sanchez is still a baby. He's only 26 years old. He has zero say in the roster that's assembled to support him. He has zero say in the coaches that are assembled to put him in a position to succeed. He hasn't peaked, still has some room to grow.

Rex Ryan is a 50 year old, set in his ways head coach. He had 100% say in the roster that's assembled to support him. He had 100% say in the coaching staff that are assembled to go to war with him. He peaked with someone else's roster, steady decline in the years for which his "stamp" was put on the team.

It's easier to believe Mark can turn it around than Rex. And if we're wrong about Mark, well, we just plug another QB in there. But if we're wrong about Rex, ruins the franchise for years.

SAR I
    This is where you need to take the blinkers off.Being 50 years old makes no difference.Rex is still a fairly inexperienced head coach.Sure he has more life experience but he too is learning the ropes in terms of running the whole show.You have to cut him Some slack here.Rex can improve too.He can change,He has to....and at least he realises that.

Will he?.

I don't know but I'd rather take that chance this year with him to find out for sure that he definitely isn't that guy than cut bait and watch him be that guy elsewhere.Sure there are plenty of issues and causes for concern,nobody reasonably doubts this, but the mark of a man is not how he deals with success but how he responds to adversity.You should be prepared to show Rex the same patience and indulgence you are prepared to give Mark.
    Last edited by Redlichtie; 01-14-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Schaub has great talent but he if I was a betting man I would bet Schaub is a stoner who smokes weed everyday.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    There is no question that Sanchez has(or maybe HAD)something intangible those first 2 years.That Pittsburgh AFCCG game I swear had we stopped Big Ben Sanchez would've driven us down into a winning position.I remember that game so clearly and in the second half Mark was money.Just one more possession and I truly believe we'd have scored and gone ahead.Seems crazy to say it now but it's true,something about the kid back then had you believing in him,believing that while he may never be a glamorous 'stat' compiler he was ballsy.He was 'our quarterback'I truly hope he can recapture that but sadly I think he may be too far gone,too toxic with the fans and media..and only a complete scenery change can fix him.They say form is temporary but class is permanent and with Sanchez it really isn't clear whether he's the guy that couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo(unless it's wearing an opponents jersey) or the guy that we've seen make some of the most beautiful plays in our recent history.
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201101...ghts&tab=recap

Almost brings tears to my eyes. What the hell happened!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FMJets View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201101...ghts&tab=recap

Almost brings tears to my eyes. What the hell happened!
    Mendenhall gashed us early,we just couldn't get them off the field but even then it was manageable until-if my memory serves me right-a few moments of madness just before the half let it get out of hand.2nd half though we came back at them and it was role reversal but we couldn't make that crucial stop on 3rd down to give Mark another shot.This is all off memory as for obvious reasons I've never watched a second of the game since.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IM3 View Post
    I would rather have Mark Sanchez than Matt Schaub, Schaub is just good enough to lead you along but will never get you to the promised land, Sanchez can win big games but can also play his way out of the NFL leading where you can replace the guy easily.

Schaub was so unimpressive yesterday, seemed like the Texans needed to put together 20 play drives to score.
    I'd rather have neither. If forced to choose, I certainly wouldn't take the guy who was basically the worst QB in the league this season. Sanchez ain't winning a playoff game where the Pats score 40+ either.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The hope is that we mismanaged him. It's happened before. Favre was a mess in Atlanta, Young a disaster in Tampa. I'm certainly not putting Sanchez on that pedestal, just pointing out it wouldn't be the first time that a coach, coordinator, and roster doomed a QB who was really good and made him look pathetic.

There's one thing that Mark Sanchez has always been very good at- bouncing back. Be it a hit, be it a big loss, be it a salvo of bad press, Mark Sanchez always gets up and gets ready for the next play. So the theory that he's "doomed" in New York because of his last two seasons, I don't buy it. I know that as fans, if Mark gets off to a great start and we go 3-0 it'll be like the '11 and '12 seasons never happened.

Let us pray.

SAR I
    Really good? Mark was never really good even with the best rushing attack and best D in the league Mark was barely competent. He has had a couple of real good games his first NFL game as a starter and the playoff game against NE.

What Mark had going for him was he came into the league when there weren't that many good young QB's. That's now changed over night. Guys who are on their first contracts are killing it in this league right now. Now he is just another undersized drop back QB with a slow release who is grossly overpaid.

He has a very short window to turn it around or he will be out of the league.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Really good? Mark was never really good even with the best rushing attack and best D in the league Mark was barely competent. He has had a couple of real good games his first NFL game as a starter and the playoff game against NE.

What Mark had going for him was he came into the league when there weren't that many good young QB's. That's now changed over night. Guys who are on their first contracts are killing it in this league right now. Now he is just another undersized drop back QB with a slow release who is grossly overpaid.

He has a very short window to turn it around or he will be out of the league.
    Thing is how do we know all those young guys you talk about will have staying power?We've already seen it with Sanchez to an extent.It used to be you drafted a guy to sit a year or maybe two(Rodgers,Favre,Pennington) and even the guys who got taken super high were often thrown in to take their lumps for a Couple of years while a team developed around them so they'd be 'ready' by year three(Vinny in TB)The trend now is for he instant starter,not saying Sanchez blazed a trail by any means but it was still somewhat unusual in 2009 to draft a QB and plug him in straight away expecting results.The last couple if years there's been a mini-explosion in that trend and I think we're seeing with Sanchez what may yet be coming to guys like Newton,RG3,Wilson,Tannehill etc

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thing is how do we know all those young guys you talk about will have staying power?We've already seen it with Sanchez to an extent.It used to be you drafted a guy to sit a year or maybe two(Rodgers,Favre,Pennington) and even the guys who got taken super high were often thrown in to take their lumps for a Couple of years while a team developed around them so they'd be 'ready' by year three(Vinny in TB)The trend now is for he instant starter,not saying Sanchez blazed a trail by any means but it was still somewhat unusual in 2009 to draft a QB and plug him in straight away expecting results.The last couple if years there's been a mini-explosion in that trend and I think we're seeing with Sanchez what may yet be coming to guys like Newton,RG3,Wilson,Tannehill etc
    The difference is these young guys are killing it on their first contracts. Their teams are actually getting immediate value for them based on cost/performance.

Mark Sanchez is delivering no value, he is simply taking up cap space and giving us terrible performance. In a win now league Sanchez may well play himself out of the league if he doesn't show a huge turnaround next year.

Nobody can afford to let a guy sit and get performance at top dollar 3 or 4 years down the road. They will be fired before they get the performance.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    The difference is these young guys are killing it on their first contracts. Their teams are actually getting immediate value for them based on cost/performance.

Mark Sanchez is delivering no value, he is simply taking up cap space and giving us terrible performance. In a win now league Sanchez may well play himself out of the league if he doesn't show a huge turnaround next year.
    Can't argue with that...but of course these guys 'killing' it on cheap contracts will eventually demand the kind of deals that can saddle a team if the player can't sustain that level of performance.i'm still not convinced some of these guys won't get worked out before too long.We just happen to be further along in that situation.Successful young qb's will expect to get paid sooner rather than later

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tannehill wasn't "instant starter" though.

Look let's be realistic here: RG3 and Wilson may not last more than 4 years.

There's no precedence for read option in the NFL. You can point to Newton but after DCs got the word out, he has been borderline 2010 Sanchez, maybe a little better since.

I mean we can analyze this to no end, but the truth is that the same guys have won title continuously since Brad Johnson's title with the Bucs:

Guys who can make reads, have a strong arm, and play from the pocket.

Sanchez isn't fast, doesn't have a great arm, and his ability to read a defense has regressed since that Sesame Street red-light, green-light stuff.

The metrics aren't there. To give you perspective: Brock Osweiler has more upside than Sanchez.

And he was a 2nd rounder this year. Why?

Huge cannon, huge size. Could be Flacco. Hell Ryan Mallett has more upside than Sanchez.

That's the truth. USC QB's are inflated by playing against lesser competition in a conference that never wins anything. There's alot of this in the PAC12 overall.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...-pac-12/page/2

Luck may be the best PAC12 QB since Elway. Seriously. It's been that long. Elway was drafted in 1983. I could be mistaken, but I honestly can't remember a decent PAC12 QB since him before Luck.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post

There's no precedence for read option in the NFL. You can point to Newton but after DCs got the word out, he has been borderline 2010 Sanchez, maybe a little better since.

I mean we can analyze this to no end, but the truth is that the same guys have won title continuously since Brad Johnson's title with the Bucs:

Sanchez isn't fast, doesn't have a great arm, and his ability to read a defense has regressed since that Sesame Street red-light, green-light stuff.

The metrics aren't there. To give you perspective: Brock Osweiler has more upside than Sanchez.

Huge cannon, huge size. Could be Flacco. Hell Ryan Mallett has more upside than Sanchez.

That's the truth. USC QB's are inflated by playing against lesser competition in a conference that never wins anything. There's alot of this in the PAC12 overall.

Luck may be the best PAC12 QB since Elway. Seriously. It's been that long. Elway was drafted in 1983. I could be mistaken, but I honestly can't remember a decent PAC12 QB since him before Luck.
    Confused:are you in agreement with my previous post or disagreement

Troy Aikman UCLA

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Luck may be the best PAC12 QB since Elway. Seriously. It's been that long. Elway was drafted in 1983. I could be mistaken, but I honestly can't remember a decent PAC12 QB since him before Luck.[/QUOTE]

Also Bledsoe... Didn't he attend Washington State

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post

Yeah, the Pac-12 never produces any good QBs. Aaron Rodgers didn't go to Cal or anything, that Pac-12 pedigree is sure holding him back

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    So what you're saying is that Mark Sanchez elevated his game in the playoffs, specifically during the biggest game in Jets history since Super Bowl III, and might have been the best Jet on the field that day.

Thank you. I agree wholeheartedly. That's why he's worth another look. Lots of teams make the playoffs; only those with battle-tested postseason quarterbacks win it all. Pray for him.

SAR I
    Amen!

Just read through the thread. Gotta say SAR is spot on.

So long as we enter next season with a corps of Holmes, Edwards, Kerley, Hill and Keller... I'm excited about 2013 with Mark at QB. JUST SO LONG AS THE OTHER GUY (who shall remain nameless) IS GONE! Are the odds against a top tiered offense? Sure. But as a Jet fan (with a team in cap hell), I'll take it.

Now if we can somehow manage to get Landry back on the other side of the ball while dumping or restructuring some of the older/dead weight on D, I'd be psyched.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike135 View Post
    Amen!

Just read through the thread. Gotta say SAR is spot on.

So long as we enter next season with a corps of Holmes, Edwards, Kerley, Hill and Keller... I'm excited about 2013 with Mark at QB. JUST SO LONG AS THE OTHER GUY (who shall remain nameless) IS GONE! Are the odds against a top tiered offense? Sure. But as a Jet fan (with a team in cap hell), I'll take it.

Now if we can somehow manage to get Landry back on the other side of the ball while dumping or restructuring some of the older/dead weight on D, I'd be psyched.
    Go Je.....

Ah, never mind.

SAR I