Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 76

Thread: Just heard on ESPN radio..(not Jets related)

  1. #1

    Just heard on ESPN radio..(not Jets related)

    Matt Schaub is a top 10 QB, but just needs more playmakers!!!
    If this guy can't win in the playoffs with what he has in Andre Johnson and Arian Foster (and a decent TE that I cant remember the name of), he will never win.

    Just to make this Jets related. What kind of garbage were we fielding on offense this year for our QB's and maybe future QB's?

  2. #2
    10 QBs off the top of my head better than Schaub:

    Peyton
    Rodgers
    Brady
    Brees
    Ryan
    RG3
    Wilson
    Big Ben
    Romo
    Eli

  3. #3
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0


    +1

    Not only that, but some quarterbacks are playoff-ready and some are not. You could see it all through the weekend, QB's that play badly under playoff pressure.

    Say what you want about Mark Sanchez, but he's money in the playoffs. 60% completions, 9 TD's to 3 INT's, QBR of 94.5. 4-2 record. Arguably the best Jet on the field in the two losses. 6 playoff games, not a bad one yet.

    It's the primary reason I want him to get a legitimate second look in a new offense. There's no point in going to the playoffs if your QB isn't capable of handling it once he's there. Mark Sanchez has cleared that hurdle.

    SAR I

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,999
    If this guy can't win in the playoffs with what he has
    Matt Schaub is 1-1 in his playoff career. The loss being to a better pats team in their backyard. Give the guy a break. The D gave up over 40 points.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post


    +1

    Not only that, but some quarterbacks are playoff-ready and some are not. You could see it all through the weekend, QB's that play badly under playoff pressure.

    Say what you want about Mark Sanchez, but he's money in the playoffs. 60% completions, 9 TD's to 3 INT's, QBR of 94.5. 4-2 record. Arguably the best Jet on the field in the two losses. 6 playoff games, not a bad one yet.

    It's the primary reason I want him to get a legitimate second look in a new offense. There's no point in going to the playoffs if your QB isn't capable of handling it once he's there. Mark Sanchez has cleared that hurdle.

    SAR I
    this much is true and probably Mark's ONLY saving grace at this point.

    look how long it took "Matty Ice" to win his first playoff game -- and they nearly blew it.

    Peyton Manning, one the greatest QBs of all time, has been "one and done" in the playoffs 8 times.

    Schaub and Romo have been among the most prolific passers in the league over the past decade, but they can't get it done when it matters most.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post


    +1

    Not only that, but some quarterbacks are playoff-ready and some are not. You could see it all through the weekend, QB's that play badly under playoff pressure.

    Say what you want about Mark Sanchez, but he's money in the playoffs. 60% completions, 9 TD's to 3 INT's, QBR of 94.5. 4-2 record. Arguably the best Jet on the field in the two losses. 6 playoff games, not a bad one yet.

    It's the primary reason I want him to get a legitimate second look in a new offense. There's no point in going to the playoffs if your QB isn't capable of handling it once he's there. Mark Sanchez has cleared that hurdle.

    SAR I
    This is a joke, rite?

  7. #7
    SAR would extend Sanchez given the chance

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,194
    Schaub didn't do a thing yesterday. The amount of hype the Texans get is unfounded. If he at least competed I would say differently. In comparison Wilson competed yesterday.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

  9. #9
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by New Jerzey Jet View Post
    This is a joke, rite?
    Nope.

    Just like Rex Ryan's postseason success has him hanging by a thread on the sidelines, Mark Sanchez' postseason success has him hanging by a thread on the roster. Both get a chance for redemption. Rex with a new GM and a new set of coordinators. Mark with a new coordinator, QB coach, and some legitimate weapons.

    I never saw Joe Namath play. But I saw tons of Richard Todd, Ken O'Brien, Boomer Esiason, Neil O'Donnell, Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, and Kellen Clemens and none of them could do what Mark Sanchez could do in the playoffs. None of them.

    There's a 70% chance that Mark Sanchez sucks and is done. But there's a 30% chance that we mishandled him and took away all his playmakers and he's a really good QB that was neglected. Finding a franchise QB is so hard we simply have to see if he still has it.

    SAR I

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    10 QBs off the top of my head better than Schaub:

    Peyton
    Rodgers
    Brady
    Brees
    Ryan
    RG3
    Wilson
    Big Ben
    Romo
    Eli
    At this point I would probably take Schaub over RG3 and Wilson because he has been successful longer. RG3 might not last 4 years.

  11. #11
    Top 10? No.

    Better than Mark Sanchez? Clearly.

    Needs more weapons? Uh, I guess, because he's a manager, not a Quarterback. There's a difference, at least to me, and both Schaub and Sanchez fit this category - and Schaub has some darn good weapons as is. The only thing he's missing is a bonafide #2 WR.

  12. #12
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    SAR would extend Sanchez given the chance
    No way. He's a terrible QB right now.

    But there's a chance that the very good playoff quarterback we once had can be reborn under the right circumstances. Even if the chance is slight, we need to find out.

    Franchise QB's are impossible to find. Franchise QB's who are unintimidated by postseason pressure are even more impossible to find. We may have one. Let's find out.

    SAR I

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    No way. He's a terrible QB right now.

    But there's a chance that the very good playoff quarterback we once had can be reborn under the right circumstances. Even if the chance is slight, we need to find out.

    Franchise QB's are impossible to find. Franchise QB's who are unintimidated by postseason pressure are even more impossible to find. We may have one. Let's find out.

    SAR I
    Man, oh man. I feel for you. I really do. Seek help.


    Schaub is underrated. You are still talking about a guy with 4000 yards and less than 15 picks during the season with 22 TDs. And I'd say this was a down year. I actually agree with the assessment. He's arguably top 10, but definitely at the bottom of that 10 however you order it or just outside it.

    They need a second wideout badly. They should've signed Gaffney after he was cut.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 01-14-2013 at 09:53 AM.

  14. #14
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    126
    a lot is play calling, and early in the year the Texans were very creative and guys like Daniels and Casey played great. Yesterday, the TE's Daniels and Casey started very slow and it hurt the offense. The play calling also wasn't that creative. Schaub is decent, made a couple of big throws. Andre Johnson is not the player he once was (great, but the speed isn't there anymore). Coaching is big when you have the lesser team and the Texans couldn't capitalize early.

  15. #15

    Schaub sounds like Sanchese

    Matt Schaub is a top 10 QB, but just needs more playmakers!!!
    Was this the same excuse given for Sanchese's poor performance this year. Texans better start looking for a playmaker QB first. Like us

  16. #16
    Schaub's good, always been accurate (64.3 career completion percentage -- 7th best in NFL history), never more than 15 INTs in a season (really never loses many fumbles for a QB either), 91.9 career rating. He's good, no doubt. I think he's just a consistent, smart QB. He's not going to carry the team. He won't make plays you'll see on the highlight reel. He plays good football, but he's more game manager than anything.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    No way. He's a terrible QB right now.

    But there's a chance that the very good playoff quarterback we once had can be reborn under the right circumstances. Even if the chance is slight, we need to find out.

    Franchise QB's are impossible to find. Franchise QB's who are unintimidated by postseason pressure are even more impossible to find. We may have one. Let's find out.

    SAR I

    Okay, all joking aside SAR, here's my real thought on Sanchez.

    Quarterbacks are fragile creatures (egos). They have been told all their life how good they are, they get the headlines, and they get the girls. All Sanchez has known until the NFL is success.

    What happens to most qbs is that they get to the NFL and they all meet with some failure. Most of these qbs have fragile egos and once they are damaged, remain that way. The NFL is littered with talent that crumbled.

    Sanchez had early success but he wasn't asked to carry the team. The last 2 years, he's been put in a position where he's been asked to shoulder more of the responsibility and he's failed miserably. Some of it is his fault. Some of it is the talent. Some of it is the coaching.

    The bottom line is that Sanchez is damaged goods at this point. Can he come back, yes. Are the percentages in his favor, no. The question is will he have the support system and coaching around him to help him succeed.... unlikely with the cap issues/changes.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by FMJets View Post
    Matt Schaub is a top 10 QB, but just needs more playmakers!!!
    If this guy can't win in the playoffs with what he has in Andre Johnson and Arian Foster (and a decent TE that I cant remember the name of), he will never win.

    Just to make this Jets related. What kind of garbage were we fielding on offense this year for our QB's and maybe future QB's?
    Schaub essentially has one WR to throw the ball to. The Texans have never had a complement to Johnson. It's why we've traditionally played so well against them; match Revis up against Johnson, and they have no passing offense to speak of. If that team had even a halfway decent second WR, they'd put up pinball numbers

  19. #19
    have to agree, Schaub is fine and they have no weapons other than those 2 guys and are easy to game plan against...

    But thatís what happens when you spend 9 out of your last 10 - 1st round picks on a defensive players.

  20. #20
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Nope.

    Just like Rex Ryan's postseason success has him hanging by a thread on the sidelines, Mark Sanchez' postseason success has him hanging by a thread on the roster. Both get a chance for redemption. Rex with a new GM and a new set of coordinators. Mark with a new coordinator, QB coach, and some legitimate weapons.

    I never saw Joe Namath play. But I saw tons of Richard Todd, Ken O'Brien, Boomer Esiason, Neil O'Donnell, Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, and Kellen Clemens and none of them could do what Mark Sanchez could do in the playoffs. None of them.

    There's a 70% chance that Mark Sanchez sucks and is done. But there's a 30% chance that we mishandled him and took away all his playmakers and he's a really good QB that was neglected. Finding a franchise QB is so hard we simply have to see if he still has it.

    SAR I
    This is the most reasonable post you've had regarding Sanchez. I agree that there's a 70% chance he sucks. The truth is, Sanchez did play extremely well in the playoffs and held his own in both the AFCCG losses. He spotted the D a lead against Indy that they couldn't hold and came back strong after getting down big in the first half against Pitt (although I still think the fumble before the half for a Pitt TD was actually an incomplete pass). That gives one last glimmer of hope for Sanchez, but we also have to remember that was 2 years ago and the mental breakdown he has shown since is why the odds are so high that he's done. With no sure-thing franchise QB available via the draft or free agency, I won't be surprised if he ends up starting for the Jets next season. I still don't think we have anything long-term in McElroy, and Tebow is NOT an NFL QB. Matt Moore I think is the best stop-gap option to actually challenge or replace Sanchez next year and we need to set our sights on 2014 being the year to get a real QB if Sanchez can't right the ship.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us