Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 57

Thread: Sounds like Woody REALLY wanted Caldwell

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    More anonymous claims by anonymous sources.

    Hey, I heard from an anonymous source of mine that Woody personally offered Gamble a daily blowjob by every member of the flight crew and he STILL turned us down.

    Insert witty "We're suck a joke" comment here.
    How could a guy with the name "Woody" fuk up a BJ?

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    If this is true it had to come from one of three places ... Woody ( doubt he is the Jets leak) korn ( really doubt they have any upside to leaking info) or Caldwell ( most likely if true and classless if he did so).

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    Most likely the Jaguars

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    A million bucks isn't that much for a house in the northeast (not where I come from in bergen county anyway)
    I would think " housing allowance" would mean yearly and you can rent a hell of a mansion for a million a year

  4. #24
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,470
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    If this is true it had to come from one of three places ... Woody ( doubt he is the Jets leak) korn ( really doubt they have any upside to leaking info) or Caldwell ( most likely if true and classless if he did so).

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    Plenty of other places. I'm sure a lot of these leaks are people in the Jets organization who are much lower down the chain. It's amazing what you can find out if you can get an administrative assistant talking.

  5. #25
    I'm guessing the leaks are coming from Rex's tatoo artist.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Supposedly Caldwell is a small town individual. I am willing to gamble he could not handle the pressure the NY media brings.
    gamble??? what the f*** happened to that guy???

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    but you get to brag on a forum that you live in bergen county where crime rates are higher than ever.
    Yeah the deep ghettos of Bergen county ...

  8. #28
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,299
    That sounds like a reasonable offset to account for the somewhat unique NY/NJ housing market.

    You've got to figure that a GM will be making seven figures over 3 - 4 years, so the $1 million towards a house is a nice signing bonus. Insignificant from the team's budgeting point of view, but goes a long way towards the candidate comparing his lifestyle in NJ vs Jax or anywhere else. A GM won't care as much about the state income tax if he knows he now has a $1m down payment on his $2.25 million house he is buying without taking a penny out of his savings.

    Makes total sense and is something that probably needs to be done across the board to obtain the services of sought after personnel. After all, I'm sure the Jets took in more money naming their practice facility then the Chiefs, Jaguars or Panthers did. That money needs to be used to offset the high cost of living for the CS and FO.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    There were plenty of leaks in the Mangini era. Plenty of similar "we hear the Jets..." claims by the NY Sports Media.

    Fish I have to respectfully disagree with you on this. I specifically remember guys like Canizzaro and Cimini repeatedly complaining in their reports about having noting to report because Mangini and the Jets were like Fort Know with information. In fact I can't remember even one leak during his tenure.

  10. #30
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    You can't just focus on the Jets side of the "leaks," since there is another side involved, i.e., the GM candidates.

    King couldve very well got that info from Caldwell's agent.

    I don't get this conspiracy theory by some that all these stories are made up. There's many different places to get info from in these type of situations.

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,169
    Well we do know that Woody's jet was in ATL the morning of the presser.

    Makes you think Woody was doing everything he could to have a GM for that presser.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    I don't get this conspiracy theory by some that all these stories are made up. There's many different places to get info from in these type of situations.
    I'm not saying it's all made up. Like I said, the 1 mil could be a standard part of the Jets GM deal, to make up for New Yorks horrific tax rates, and to sweeten the pot vs. small market, low-cost-of-living, low-media, low-pressure alternate jobs.

    Making it into "Wow, the jets must REALLY have wanted him!!!! AND THEY FAILED AGAIN, HAR, HAR, HAR!!!!!!" is questionable analysis.

    Also, a leak could be from outside the Org 9as you say) and being made up for their own good, i.e. if you want the jags to pay for a $500,000 house allowance, you tell them the Jets offered you a $1,000,000 housing allowence.......even if they didn't. You "leak" it anonymously to King, and King of course runs it (any chance to slight us as failing), and then you walk the article into the Jags owners office and say, "hey look, $500k isn't so bad is it?".

  13. #33
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I'm not saying it's all made up. Like I said, the 1 mil could be a standard part of the Jets GM deal, to make up for New Yorks horrific tax rates, and to sweeten the pot vs. small market, low-cost-of-living, low-media, low-pressure alternate jobs.

    Making it into "Wow, the jets must REALLY have wanted him!!!! AND THEY FAILED AGAIN, HAR, HAR, HAR!!!!!!" is questionable analysis.

    Also, a leak could be from outside the Org 9as you say) and being made up for their own good, i.e. if you want the jags to pay for a $500,000 house allowance, you tell them the Jets offered you a $1,000,000 housing allowence.......even if they didn't. You "leak" it anonymously to King, and King of course runs it (any chance to slight us as failing), and then you walk the article into the Jags owners office and say, "hey look, $500k isn't so bad is it?".
    I get that, and it makes sense. I would have problems with the opinions put forth by some of these writers. That's their conclusions drawn from the facts.

    But I think there is an important distinction here that is overlooked. Let's use Mehta for an example. I think ever single article he has written is completely accurate as to what he was told.

    The sources, as you pointed out, may have alterior motives and may not be providing reporters with complete or accurate information.

    Reporters who make up stories don't merely lose their jobs, they lose their careers. We've seen it before. I think we need to know more in order to believe that Mehta or anyone else is willing to destroy their livelihood so they can put out a negative false story about the Jets.

  14. #34
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I'm not saying it's all made up. Like I said, the 1 mil could be a standard part of the Jets GM deal, to make up for New Yorks horrific tax rates, and to sweeten the pot vs. small market, low-cost-of-living, low-media, low-pressure alternate jobs.

    Making it into "Wow, the jets must REALLY have wanted him!!!! AND THEY FAILED AGAIN, HAR, HAR, HAR!!!!!!" is questionable analysis.

    Also, a leak could be from outside the Org 9as you say) and being made up for their own good, i.e. if you want the jags to pay for a $500,000 house allowance, you tell them the Jets offered you a $1,000,000 housing allowence.......even if they didn't. You "leak" it anonymously to King, and King of course runs it (any chance to slight us as failing), and then you walk the article into the Jags owners office and say, "hey look, $500k isn't so bad is it?".
    Why do you think everything is a leak or some covert attempt to get information out? Its not like touring an area or housing allowances are so rare in an upper level management position, especially one where relocation is involved. Companies will even buy your current house at fair market value so you dont have to worry about the hassle. It was Caldwell's second interview and he was obviously a candidate of high interest of the Jets.

  15. #35
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Why do you think everything is a leak or some covert attempt to get information out? Its not like touring an area or housing allowances are so rare in an upper level management position, especially one where relocation is involved. Companies will even buy your current house at fair market value so you dont have to worry about the hassle. It was Caldwell's second interview and he was obviously a candidate of high interest of the Jets.
    In fact, Caldwell was the only candidate to get a second interview with the Jets at the time.

  16. #36
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,299
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Why do you think everything is a leak or some covert attempt to get information out? Its not like touring an area or housing allowances are so rare in an upper level management position, especially one where relocation is involved. Companies will even buy your current house at fair market value so you dont have to worry about the hassle. It was Caldwell's second interview and he was obviously a candidate of high interest of the Jets.
    In reading Fish's post, I don't think he's suggesting its a nefarious leak. I think he's suggesting that the analysis following the information is (in his words) "questionable".

    In this instance, its the OP and Peter King assigning some meaning to this supposed perk. Perhaps Peter King knows more about what's offered to GMs today. In fact, I'm sure of it. But to me, this doesn't sound like anything so over the top. It effectively amounts to $333K a year over a standard 3 yr deal, only earmarked for a house because of the housing market here.

    A big market team paying marginally more for a FO candidate? Stop the presses!

  17. #37
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    In reading Fish's post, I don't think he's suggesting its a nefarious leak. I think he's suggesting that the analysis following the information is (in his words) "questionable".

    In this instance, its the OP and Peter King assigning some meaning to this supposed perk. Perhaps Peter King knows more about what's offered to GMs today. In fact, I'm sure of it. But to me, this doesn't sound like anything so over the top. It effectively amounts to $333K a year over a standard 3 yr deal, only earmarked for a house because of the housing market here.

    A big market team paying marginally more for a FO candidate? Stop the presses!
    Yep. The fact that a second interview happened is more significant than a housing allowance. The latter is likely a standard perk the Jets were offering.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    But I think there is an important distinction here that is overlooked. Let's use Mehta for an example. I think ever single article he has written is completely accurate as to what he was told.
    Agree to disagree. I am firmly of the beleif that a good portion of the "anonymous source" claims by the New York Sports media are of the "I think thisis whats happening, and I'll get noticed if I'm right about it and get it out first, so I'll report it either without a source, or say it's a "highly placed person in the Jets front office" and it's a win/win. Can;t prove me wrong, and if I'm right, I'm famouserer.

    Reporters who make up stories don't merely lose their jobs, they lose their careers. We've seen it before.
    They have to be caught. That almost never happens, are certainly never happens in sports media today.

    The risk is utterly minimal, and the reward is if he gets a few right he's getting a million bucks to be on ESPN's screaming heads show #462.

  19. #39
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,526
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    In reading Fish's post, I don't think he's suggesting its a nefarious leak. I think he's suggesting that the analysis following the information is (in his words) "questionable".

    In this instance, its the OP and Peter King assigning some meaning to this supposed perk. Perhaps Peter King knows more about what's offered to GMs today. In fact, I'm sure of it. But to me, this doesn't sound like anything so over the top. It effectively amounts to $333K a year over a standard 3 yr deal, only earmarked for a house because of the housing market here.

    A big market team paying marginally more for a FO candidate? Stop the presses!
    Correct. The Jets had a high level interest in Caldwell, did their due diligence in bringing him in for a second interview and showing him around the area. Caldwell just decided that Jacksonville was a better fit for him. Nothing wrong with that, doesnt mean the Jets job is unattractive, just that Caldwell liked Jacksonville better.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Correct. The Jets had a high level interest in Caldwell, did their due diligence in bringing him in for a second interview and showing him around the area. Caldwell just decided that Jacksonville was a better fit for him. Nothing wrong with that, doesnt mean the Jets job is unattractive, just that Caldwell liked Jacksonville better.
    Or, as is so common today, he wanted the Jacksonville low-pressure, low-media, low-expectations job from the start, and used a huge-market team (us) to raise his value to the tiny-market team (Jacksonville) he intended to win over from the start.

    Sadly, I doubt he's own up to it if that was his plan all along.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us