Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57

Thread: Sounds like Woody REALLY wanted Caldwell

  1. #41
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Or, as is so common today, he wanted the Jacksonville low-pressure, low-media, low-expectations job from the start, and used a huge-market team (us) to raise his value to the tiny-market team (Jacksonville) he intended to win over from the start.

    Sadly, I doubt he's own up to it if that was his plan all along.
    I dont think this is as big of an issue as many think it is. Do you think the Jags owner Khan has any less expectations than Woody has? If Caldwell doesnt improve the Jags in 3 years do you think he will have any more job security in Jax than he would have with the Jets? The Jags fired Mularkey after one season, that doesnt fit with a team that has low expectations or low pressure.

  2. #42
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,437
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Or, as is so common today, he wanted the Jacksonville low-pressure, low-media, low-expectations job from the start, and used a huge-market team (us) to raise his value to the tiny-market team (Jacksonville) he intended to win over from the start.

    Sadly, I doubt he's own up to it if that was his plan all along.
    This man will have likely only one shot at an NFL GM job. If given the choice between two options, the person making the decision would be insane not to take the option that gives him the best chance to be successful. Unlike the recent presidential election, Caldwell is not going to survive by blaming his predecessor in 3 or 4 years time. His boss won't care and he will be fired. Period.

    So if he believes that Jax puts him in a better position for success than the Jets, he would be a fool to take the Jets job. It has nothing to do with perceived market pressure and everything to do with what will ultimately be the more successful structure.

  3. #43
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Do you think the Jags owner Khan has any less expectations than Woody has?
    I think Jacksonville is a vastly lower expectation, vastly lower pressure, vastly weaker media job, yes.

    If Caldwell doesnt improve the Jags in 3 years do you think he will have any more job security in Jax than he would have with the Jets?
    Yes.

    The Jags fired Mularkey after one season, that doesnt fit with a team that has low expectations or low pressure.
    Remind me, did Khan (or a Khan hired GM) pick Mularkey? I honestly forget.

  4. #44
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Agree to disagree. I am firmly of the beleif that a good portion of the "anonymous source" claims by the New York Sports media are of the "I think thisis whats happening, and I'll get noticed if I'm right about it and get it out first, so I'll report it either without a source, or say it's a "highly placed person in the Jets front office" and it's a win/win. Can;t prove me wrong, and if I'm right, I'm famouserer.



    They have to be caught. That almost never happens, are certainly never happens in sports media today.

    The risk is utterly minimal, and the reward is if he gets a few right he's getting a million bucks to be on ESPN's screaming heads show #462.
    Yeah, we'll just have to disagee because I think that's approaching aluminum foil hat territory.

    In sports, these writers don't need to make up stuff because so many people are willing to blab.

  5. #45
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,468
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Crasherino notes, what's the big deal about this? College presidents who take jobs at wealthy private schools often have homes purchased for them by universities. This is hardly a OH MY GAWD piece of news.

    It was part of a package of compensation. And how do we know that WJ isn't offering something similar to all the candidates?

  6. #46
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    This man will have likely only one shot at an NFL GM job. If given the choice between two options, the person making the decision would be insane not to take the option that gives him the best chance to be successful. Unlike the recent presidential election, Caldwell is not going to survive by blaming his predecessor in 3 or 4 years time. His boss won't care and he will be fired. Period.

    So if he believes that Jax puts him in a better position for success than the Jets, he would be a fool to take the Jets job. It has nothing to do with perceived market pressure and everything to do with what will ultimately be the more successful structure.
    I agree. I think if you had more than one job offer, obviously you take the job that seems to give you the best chance to succeed.

  7. #47
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    As Crasherino notes, what's the big deal about this? College presidents who take jobs at wealthy private schools often have homes purchased for them by universities. This is hardly a OH MY GAWD piece of news.

    It was part of a package of compensation. And how do we know that WJ isn't offering something similar to all the candidates?
    If he didin't plan on making it part of a package for all candidates, he might have to now...I know if I was a GM candidate, and wasn't given an offer yet but one was imminent, I'd be looking or the million in house allowance now that I saw that.

  8. #48
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,107
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    I agree. I think if you had more than one job offer, obviously you take the job that seems to give you the best chance to succeed.
    Well, there's the problem.

    The expectations and definition of 'succeed' greatly differ in the Jacksonville vs NY markets. That isn't to saw Khan and Jacksonville don't want a winner, but there's there's little national attention coming there way, and I'm pretty sure the Jacksonville newspapers aren't anything like the Post or Daily News. Jacksonville gives you the luxury of TIME to succeed. In NY with the Jets? Not so much.

  9. #49
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,028
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    As Crasherino notes, what's the big deal about this? College presidents who take jobs at wealthy private schools often have homes purchased for them by universities. This is hardly a OH MY GAWD piece of news.

    It was part of a package of compensation. And how do we know that WJ isn't offering something similar to all the candidates?
    I'd be surprised if he didn't.

  10. #50
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,437
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Well, there's the problem.

    The expectations and definition of 'succeed' greatly differ in the Jacksonville vs NY markets. That isn't to saw Khan and Jacksonville don't want a winner, but there's there's little national attention coming there way, and I'm pretty sure the Jacksonville newspapers aren't anything like the Post or Daily News. Jacksonville gives you the luxury of TIME to succeed. In NY with the Jets? Not so much.
    I think this perception makes sense at face value, but isn't really true.

    Yes the market it is bigger, louder and gets more attention - but ultimately the only thing that matters is the owners patience. Woody Johnson, to the consternation of many on this board, is patient to a fault. Rex is STILL here. Tanny was here for 7 years as GM and survived two coaches before Rex. Across town, the Giants are as patient as they come. The press wanted Coughlin gone TWICE. Contrast that to how Coughlin was jettisoned in Jacksonville. Coughlin was their first head coach. Went to 2 AFC Championship games and was shown the door after three non winning seasons (the two worst of them being 6-10, hardly embarrassing.)

  11. #51
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morite View Post
    If he didin't plan on making it part of a package for all candidates, he might have to now...I know if I was a GM candidate, and wasn't given an offer yet but one was imminent, I'd be looking or the million in house allowance now that I saw that.
    No doubt.....Man's gotsta get paid.

  12. #52
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I think this perception makes sense at face value, but isn't really true.

    Yes the market it is bigger, louder and gets more attention - but ultimately the only thing that matters is the owners patience. Woody Johnson, to the consternation of many on this board, is patient to a fault. Rex is STILL here. Tanny was here for 7 years as GM and survived two coaches before Rex. Across town, the Giants are as patient as they come. The press wanted Coughlin gone TWICE. Contrast that to how Coughlin was jettisoned in Jacksonville. Coughlin was their first head coach. Went to 2 AFC Championship games and was shown the door after three non winning seasons (the two worst of them being 6-10, hardly embarrassing.)
    The only reason Coughlin survived is he won 2 super bowls AFTER being on the hot seat. If the Giants had fired him after winning they would have been rightly crucified.

  13. #53
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,437
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wepnx View Post
    The only reason Coughlin survived is he won 2 super bowls AFTER being on the hot seat. If the Giants had fired him after winning they would have been rightly crucified.
    You don't know that.

    Regardless, the facts point to just as much patience by NY owners as smaller market owners.

    Mike Malarkey as case point.

    The Cleveland Browns as case in point.

    You win. You stay. You lose. You're gone. Geography and media market are not correlated to longevity.

  14. #54
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    If this is true it had to come from one of three places ... Woody ( doubt he is the Jets leak) korn ( really doubt they have any upside to leaking info) or Caldwell ( most likely if true and classless if he did so).

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    What about the coffee lady and janitor?

  15. #55
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,028
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    You don't know that.

    Regardless, the facts point to just as much patience by NY owners as smaller market owners.

    Mike Malarkey as case point.

    The Cleveland Browns as case in point.

    You win. You stay. You lose. You're gone. Geography and media market are not correlated to longevity.
    But if you win, you buy some goodwill. If Rex's first two seasons were 8-8 and then 6-10, he probably wouldn't see season 3. But, whether you think the team was deserved or not, he took them to back to back Championship Games and that goodwill ultimately bought him one more year. Barely, of course. His GM got canned, his OC got canned - its not like he's smelling like roses. He's on his last leg.

  16. #56
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    35,670
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Supposedly Caldwell is a small town individual. I am willing to gamble he could not handle the pressure the NY media brings.
    I see what you did there.


  17. #57
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    12,552
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    A million bucks isn't that much for a house in the northeast (not where I come from in bergen county anyway)
    that's what I was thinking...

    And he probably saw the grossly overpriced tiny dumps and was thinking... WTF?!

    An NFL-Personnel Caliber castle would be WELL over a Mil


    THEN there's the taxes!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us