Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sounds like Woody REALLY wanted Caldwell

Sounds like Woody REALLY wanted Caldwell

Interesting note from Peter King's MMQB column this morning

Included in the New York Jets' contract package being prepared for David Caldwell last Monday -- the day the club gave him a tour of the area and was wooing him to be the team's next general manager -- was a $1 million housing allowance.
    In the annals of Perks Given to NFL General Managers, I would say that takes the cake.
    Woody: "Dave, here's a million bucks to buy yourself a house, but you still have to retain Rex."

Caldwell: *crickets*

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    Interesting note from Peter King's MMQB column this morning

Woody: "Dave, here's a million bucks to buy yourself a house, but you still have to retain Rex."

Caldwell: *crickets*
    Caldwell never has any intention of coming to the Jets. That interview was for leverage with the Jags.

Supposedly Caldwell is a small town individual. I am willing to gamble he could not handle the pressure the NY media brings.

A million bucks isn't that much for a house in the northeast (not where I come from in bergen county anyway)

More anonymous claims by anonymous sources.

Hey, I heard from an anonymous source of mine that Woody personally offered Gamble a daily blowjob by every member of the flight crew and he STILL turned us down.

Insert witty "We're suck a joke" comment here.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

Hey, I heard from an anonymous source of mine that Woody personally offered Gamble a daily blowjob by every member of the flight crew and he STILL turned us down.

I do think there was serious interest for Caldwell. That whole tour of the area occurred a day before the Jets press conference and I think the hope by Woody was to announce Caldwell at the press conference.

Why are there so many leaks with the Jets?

Why cant everyone just keep quite , all the leaks make them look bad.

Woody needs to get his house in order and fire anyone that is leaking information to the press.

Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    Why are there so many leaks with the Jets?

Why cant everyone just keep quite , all the leaks make them look bad.

Woody needs to get his house in order and fire anyone that is leaking information to the press.
    I don't believe there is.

I think at least 50%, and probably alot more, is made up from whole cloth by the New York/Sports media. There is no accountabillity and no verification of any of these anonymous claims, and it's pretty clear these jackels throw any **** they can against the wall (especially in "tweets") to see what sticks because in today's media, it's better to be wrong 99% of the time and first the 1%, than right 100% of the time.

Jets Insider VIP

I think at least 50%, and probably alot more, is made up from whole cloth by the New York/Sports media. There is no accountabillity and no verification of any of these anonymous claims, and it's pretty clear these jackels throw any **** they can against the wall (especially in "tweets") to see what sticks because in today's media, it's better to be wrong 99% of the time and first the 1%, than right 100% of the time.
    Exactly

That's why I take everything with a grain of salt until it comes out of Schefter's mouth.

His word is like gold IMO.

Dude is basically never wrong and he never jumps the gun like these retards on twitter.

Jets Insider VIP
    The leaks the last two years were outrageous. I honestly think Woody is doing an excellent job right now on this search and is trying to minimize the leaks on this GM search.

The truth is I think Woody up until now was hands off in certain areas but to blame these leaks on the media is not fair when the Jets as an organization had to literally tap coaches phones to stop leaks they knew were occurring.

Jets Insider VIP

Wasn't anonymous. King put his name on it, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Wasn't anonymous. King put his name on it, no?
    When did King start working for the Jets in a position to know such a thing?

Right, his source is anonymous, i.e. probably doesn't exist or if he does, he's the security guard to the Business Office.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    A million bucks isn't that much for a house in the northeast (not where I come from in bergen county anyway)
    theres alot of areas just as nice as bergen county where you can do quite well for a million bucks.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Bergen County, the land of overpriced homes the size of my shed, crowded highways, overwhelming diversity and one giant mall that takes up the entire town of Paramus.

You can keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Bergen County, the land of overpriced homes the size of my shed, crowded highways, overwhelming diversity and one giant mall that takes up the entire town of Paramus.

You can keep it.
    but you get to brag on a forum that you live in bergen county where crime rates are higher than ever.

Jets Insider VIP
    When did King start working for the Jets in a position to know such a thing?

Right, his source is anonymous, i.e. probably doesn't exist or if he does, he's the security guard to the Business Office.
    Why would someone make something up like that?

Maybe the source doesn't want to lose his job for leaking information?

If this is true, why werent there as many leaks when Mangini was here?
    I believe the there are leaks, and many are intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    If this is true, why werent there as many leaks when Mangini was here?
    I believe the there are leaks, and many are intentional.
    There were plenty of leaks in the Mangini era. Plenty of similar "we hear the Jets..." claims by the NY Sports Media.

And similar to now, most turned out to be patently false or speculative at best.

Why would someone make something up like that?
    Why not? Who's going to hold them accountable for a total fabrication? It's impossible to prove "wrong", even if the owner comes out and says "lol, thats never happened" the Fans will just do the usual as say "What a joke we are, now the Owner is lying directly too us, Peter King SAID they did it!"

It's a win/win for the media. They get noticed by reporting something. They (in Kings's case) get to grind his endless axe against the hated Jets. And he gets props on the rare occasion he turns out to be right in his speculations.

And the 80%+ he's wrong or the claim is unverifiable? He doesn't lose a single reader over that.

For all we know, a million buck Housing allowance may be a basic part fo every New York Jets GM Offer, as part of the compensation package.

Of course, we don't know if it is or isn't.

And neither does Peter Pats Fan King.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

If this is true it had to come from one of three places ... Woody ( doubt he is the Jets leak) korn ( really doubt they have any upside to leaking info) or Caldwell ( most likely if true and classless if he did so).

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I'm sure the tour was of Morris County and yes you can get a lot with 1 million there. Granted you can get three times as much in Jacksonville for that same 1 million, have much lower property tax and not have to pay state income tax in Florida, but I digress...