Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what is the best case scenario this week?

Question So what is the best case scenario this week?

It feels like the process has gone on forever and it seems to be winding down from everything I have read. The question now is what do we root for?

1. Hire Kahn from Pittsburgh, who is talented and smart but may lack the personnel background we want. The benefit to him aside from his cap knowledge and experience in a winning franchise, is his relationship with Bill Cowher. He could be the bridge that brings us a respected, Super Bowl winning head coach. If he is hired look to see if Mularky gets hired as OC for signs of a possible Cowher marriage in 2014.

2. Scott Cohen is promoted. It would be a PR disaster as we would be promoting a candidate who helped oversee the same front office that has this franchise in the current mess it is in. The positive from this hiring would be that it would be much easier to wipe out everyone and start new in 2014.
    3. Give the job to Angelo. There is not a lot of excitement from Jets fans with this name but he does offer GM experience and some degree of success having overseen a team that went to a Super Bowl. He has his detractors to be sure and his draft record is spotty.

4. A Suprise hire. This is the one that most here are hoping for. Considering the cesspool media that covers this team, its very possible that the candidate could be someone not mentioned above. Considering that almost all of the names mentioned would be first time GM there would be risk involved. And with the exception of Cohen, all of these men would most likely be carried over to 2014 so for better or worse, we would be married to them through the most important time in recent history.

Brady gets his ass danced on by Ray Lewis.

Veteran
    5 - Woody sells the team

Veteran
    Best case is for anyone who has a plan for how to build the Jets.

What's missing hasn't always been effort, rather than a lack of consensus (and therefore plan) about how to do it.

#9 pick is reasonable place to start - along with the silver lining that the 2013 Jets need a serious gutting.

Really, I want what's behind door #4. no whammies. daily double. and so on.

If we can get Gaine as the GM and Kahn as the Cap guy/president. I think that would be ideal.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekc View Post
    Brady gets his ass danced on by Ray Lewis.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Really, I want what's behind door #4. no whammies. daily double. and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    If we can get Gaine as the GM and Kahn as the Cap guy/president. I think that would be ideal.
    actually I would take Khan if he came part as a package deal with a personnel guy. I don't think Khan will ever be the GM of the Steelers -- they seem to go with personnel/scouting types, whereas the Jets have shown they would put a cap guy as GM. Maybe Khan would see a move to the Jets as one which would allow him to move up the chain faster. But, again, he'd need to come with a guy with scouting background, like Gaine.

I honestly have no clue what the Jets are planning but I kind of like how they have the media guessing also. kind of silly to see one writer say "they can't give it away" and others say "they are interviewing as many as possible to get the right candidate." we know just as much as the "experts" I believe

Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    NOW THAT SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN!!!

"Best case" is we hire someone quickly, so the Fans and Media can get right to loathing and hating on the hiring, denouncing Woody as a bad owner, and claiming the new GM will be a total failure.....so we can get past all that, and start looking at player and Asst. Coach moves that fans will quickly decide they loathe and hate and will lead to our failure.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    actually I would take Khan if he came part as a package deal with a personnel guy. I don't think Khan will ever be the GM of the Steelers -- they seem to go with personnel/scouting types, whereas the Jets have shown they would put a cap guy as GM. Maybe Khan would see a move to the Jets as one which would allow him to move up the chain faster. But, again, he'd need to come with a guy with scouting background, like Gaine.

I honestly have no clue what the Jets are planning but I kind of like how they have the media guessing also. kind of silly to see one writer say "they can't give it away" and others say "they are interviewing as many as possible to get the right candidate." we know just as much as the "experts" I believe
    I love how the gossip columnists print rumors as fact like when they wrote about how the Jets do not want a strong personality as a GM. Then Peter King reports that the owner did everything except propose marriage to Dave Caldwell to get him to sign with us

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    "Best case" is we hire someone quickly, so the Fans and Media can get right to loathing and hating on the hiring, denouncing Woody as a bad owner, and claiming the new GM will be a total failure.....so we can get past all that, and start looking at player and Asst. Coach moves that fans will quickly decide they loathe and hate and will lead to our failure.
    The fan base should keep an open mind to whichever candidate gets the job due to the influence of Korn/Ferry on the process. Some parts of the media will crush the hire regardless of who it is.

The only speculative candidate that I will be upset about is Scott Cohen due to the fact that he was part of the brain trust that has the franchise in the situation it is now in.

Unfortunate but the haters have been mostly correct the last few years in their targets. You earn respect by smart moves and overall success. You earn doubt and scorn by making bad decisions.

Hall Of Fame
    I think a version of #2 can happen.

Promote Cohen. Have him make all the unpopular, yet ultra-necessary, decisions. Shed salary and some aging core players. The team will stink in 2013. That will lead to our biggest problem, Rex Ryan, getting fired.

No Rex. No Sanchez. No Tebow.
    Improved cap situation.
    High draft pick.

After that we will be a very attractive destination. We can dump Cohen without pissing anyone in the NFL off.

Then we can start a proper rebuild. In this scenario, Woody's mistake of keeping Rex will only cost us one year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by norm428 View Post
    5 - Woody sells the team
    That would be #1 dream to happen

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I would vote for a version of #2.

Promote Cohen. Have him make all the unpopular, yet ultra-necessary, decisions. Shed salary and some aging core players. The team will stink in 2013. That will lead to our biggest problem, Rex Ryan, getting fired.

No Rex.
    Improved cap situation.
    High draft pick.

After that we will be a very attractive destination. We can dump Cohen without pissing anyone in the NFL off.

Then we can start a proper rebuild.
    If we do not select Khan from this group for whatever Jet related reason, this is my ideal scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I think a version of #2 can happen.

No Rex. No Sanchez. No Tebow.
    Improved cap situation.
    High draft pick.

Then we can start a proper rebuild. In this scenario, Woody's mistake of keeping Rex will only cost us one year.
    This is the scenario that is the biggest gamble to root for. In the end it could be the best thing for the franchise IF;

1. The Jets are really bad.
    2. Woody is willing to fire Cohen after only one season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Now you are talking.

We sign John Idzik as our GM and start a new era.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Unfortunate but the haters have been mostly correct the last few years in their targets. You earn respect by smart moves and overall success. You earn doubt and scorn by making bad decisions.
    The only bad decisions of nate in our w/l was the drafting and playing of Mark Sanchez. Substitute and average (15th rated) QB instead, and we're 4-time playoff team.

Yes, we've had busts. Ghost (the de facto universal pick that year at that spot) and the uber-reach for the lineman who sucks so bad he shall not be named. Beyond that, I'm not seeing us having made all these "bad decisions".

Whatever. The fanbase is so angry right now, it wants blood and despite the GM, O-Co, D-Co and )if God exists) the starting and #2 QB's....it won't be enough.

Optismism and hope will not exist here till we win our 10th game in 2013, should that come to pass. So arguing the "it isn't as bad as it seems, and I'm as pessimistic usually as any of you" side is a waste of breath.

If folsk think we're a joke, think Rex is a joke, think Woody is a joke, and (as so many have posted) "we'll never win until Woody sells the team", then so be it. Woody isn't selling the team any time soon, so I guess we better get used to suckign for the next 30 years or so.