Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Rookies Left Standing

All Pro

No Rookies Left Standing

There was a lot of hype and excitement around the three rookie QB's during the regular season and going into the playoffs. Let's take a moment to remember just how difficult it is to go deep into the playoffs with a rookie QB. RG3 and Andrew Luck - both out in the wildcard round. Russell Wilson played a very good game yesterday but still didn't win. If Atlanta wasn't so poorly coached it would never have been that close. His game last week he had really unimpressive numbers.

It's now conventional wisdom that Mark Sanchez rode the great Jets of '09 and '10 to the conference championship. The legend of the greatness of those teams is growing by the day. Were they really that much better than yesterday's Seahawks, whose Oline gave Wilson all day to throw? Was the defense better? They have a good running game too. What about all the other teams already eliminated or who will be next week - were they so superior?

It is amazing how fast history is forgotten and rewritten.

Interesting evaluations of the games yesterday.

Yesterday russel wilson threw for 385 yards and ran for 60 and put his team in the endzone to take the lead with 30 seconds left....to compare that to anything sanchez did is an insult to wilson.

Sanchez never threw for over 200 yards in any of the playoff wins we had. Furthermore he had the following team rushing totals....120, 169, 170 and 171 in those games.

Probably safe to say he was along for the ride a little more then wilson was.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    There was a lot of hype and excitement around the three rookie QB's during the regular season and going into the playoffs. Let's take a moment to remember just how difficult it is to go deep into the playoffs with a rookie QB. RG3 and Andrew Luck - both out in the wildcard round. Russell Wilson played a very good game yesterday but still didn't win. If Atlanta wasn't so poorly coached it would never have been that close. His game last week he had really unimpressive numbers.

It's now conventional wisdom that Mark Sanchez rode the great Jets of '09 and '10 to the conference championship. The legend of the greatness of those teams is growing by the day. Were they really that much better than yesterday's Seahawks, whose Oline gave Wilson all day to throw? Was the defense better? They have a good running game too. What about all the other teams already eliminated or who will be next week - were they so superior?

I don't think anyone considers those jet teams to be great.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    So how did they make it to two AFC CG's?

People who rationalize Sanchez's presence (and wins up to the AFCCG) seem to think they were, and the only reason they got there, and would have done so with any QB.

Yesterday's Seahawks team had to have been at least as good - defense, Oline and running game. So why aren't they in the NFC CG?
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 01-14-2013 at 11:45 AM.

People who rationalize Sanchez's presence (and wins up to the AFCCG) seem to think they were, and the only reason they got there, and would have done so with any QB.

Yesterday's Seahawks team had to have been at least as good - defense, Oline and running game. So why aren't they in the NFC CG?
    Missed opportunities in the redzone. I recall them going for it on 4th & goal earlier in the game, and there was also the point where Russell took a sack with less than 30 seconds to go and Seattle failed to get a play off while they were in the redzone.

**** happens, but they could have won that game. Hell, they could have tried a long FG to win the game at the end but decided to try the hail marry instead. Also, Pete stupidly decided to ice Atlanta's kicker and the kicker ended up missing the first FG attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Missed opportunities in the redzone. I recall them going for it on 4th & goal earlier in the game, and there was also the point where Russell took a sack with less than 30 seconds to go and Seattle failed to get a play off while they were in the redzone.

**** happens, but they could have won that game. Hell, they could have tried a long FG to win the game at the end but decided to try the hail marry instead.
    Longwell isn't a long distance kicker, I don't think he's made any longer than 55, I'm sure he said what his range was, and it wasn't close enough.

Bad decisions by HC caused Seahawk's loss

If Carroll did not ice the kicker, that first Atlanta FG attempt was a failure. If Carroll had managed the clock better, he would not have left Matty Ice enough time to make those final passes to get into FG range. If Carroll had gone for a guarranteed FG instead of for a failed TD on 4th and goal in the first half. If Carroll had managed the time better, they might have gotten a FG in the final seconds before the first half. It was that one point difference that ended the playoffs for the Hawks.

Luck attempted 54 passes in 1 playoff game. Russell wilson attempted 62 passes in 2 playoffs game. He ran for 127 yards to go with 572 passing. Sanchez in 3 playoff games only attempted 68 passes total.
    Im not even going to look up RG3 because the kid was hurt bad and should not have been playing.. ave rating of 102 for games he wasnt hurt..

Luck didnt have a great game but to rely on rookie qb, or any qb to pass 54 times in 1st playoffs game is a bit much. It took mark 3 playoff games to get over 54 attempts. Wilson threw a lot, would have threw more but since he can run he didnt.. Not saying mark didnt contribute, he did a good job when jets called his number to throw it. But clearly stats show he was not leaned on anywhere near these rookies were.

Correct me if I wrong.

Jets D only allowed the following points

in 10 09

16 colts 14 Bengals
    21 patriots 14 chargers
    17 steelers 30 colts
    pitt D scored td
    off sanchez fumble

Thats pretty dam good for the playoffs going against high powered Offenses. D played great. Much better than any defense I seen in the playoffs this year, or last.
    Last edited by Cleansweep2013; 01-14-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Were the Giants great last year?

I don't think we have seen "great teams" since the 80's niners and 90's Cowboys. No the pats were never great. They cheated.

Hall Of Fame
    Whats also interesting is that only one of the "elite" QBs is still around.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Were the Giants great last year?

I don't think we have seen "great teams" since the 80's niners and 90's Cowboys. No the pats were never great. They cheated.
    Pats also never won a SB by more than 3 points.

Jets Insider VIP

Are you insinuating in any way that you want mark sanchez to take another snap as qb of the NYJ? I mean, what is this post about?

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Whats also interesting is that only one of the "elite" QBs is still around.
    Ryan and Flacco are close.............

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Ryan wins his first playoff game in what, 5 years? And barely. Really?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    True, but they are not in the pantheon of current "elite" QBs. My point is more that Rodgers, Manning, and Brees are all home now and while QB is still the most important position on the field, you do have to be able to play all 3 phases of the game to win.

Ryan wins his first playoff game in what, 5 years? And barely. Really?
    Because football isn't a team game or anything like that.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Because football isn't a team game or anything like that.
    That's an argument against him being elite, not for. Just like the argument that Sanchez had zero to do with the Jets getting to the AFC CG twice.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Are you insinuating in any way that you want mark sanchez to take another snap as qb of the NYJ? I mean, what is this post about?
    Unless someone can effectively prove that the 09 and 10 Jets were the two greatest football teams of all time, it has to be acknowledged that Sanchez accomplished something that has proven and continues to be proven to be very difficult to do. Witness, the fact that there are no rookies even getting that far, with at least as good teams.

All League
    Mark was disgusting this year. But not to give him credit for 4 road playoff wins is beyond stupid. Wins over Brady , Manning And Rivers. You just dont go along for the ride against those QBs

That's an argument against him being elite, not for. Just like the argument that Sanchez had zero to do with the Jets getting to the AFC CG twice.
    Ryan is a good QB who makes plays. Sanchez is a POS who can't wait for his next opportunity to turn the ball over.

Also, you're acting as though Sanchez carried the Jets into the playoffs during the 09-10 years. That, in and of itself, is hilariously stupid.

I'm not even saying Matty Ice is elite, but Ryan > Sanchez, and it's not even close.