Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The press conference I am dreading

The press conference I am dreading

New York September 1, 2013, watching in living room:

Rex: OK, first of all I want to let everyone know that Mark will be the starting QB next Sunday. We just feel...I'll tell you this: Mark did everything that was asked of him this offseason, I mean he was the first guy in and the first guy out. No one worked harder. He just really dedicated himself and did everything we asked.

I know that some people think that Mark had a bad season last year or whatever, but listen that is on more than one guy, I mean its not all on Mark. If Santnio doesn't go down...we had a lot of injuries and all that and like I said before, you know, I didn't really imprint on this team what I wanted this offense to be...

I know people say "ground and pound" but really that was meant for the specific personnel we had and I guess we got too wrapped up in that and I should have done a better job of letting evereyone know that what I wanted was an "all weather" offense...attacking like on defense, so maybe we let Mark down a little there.

But I know this: Mark got us to 2 AFC Championship games, and I really believe that he is the guy to get us there again...thats why we brough in Cam...Mark and him are like this, and Mark has been working really hard and doing everything we ask....I just believe that Mark gives us the best chance to win next week against Miami....I know you guys don't really like that answer much but I truly believe it and it is my call. So with that I will open it up to questions:

Leberfield: Rex, in the three pre-season games Sanchez didn't throw any touchdowns, had 3 picks and only scored 6 points on offense. How can you say that he gives you the best chance to win?

Rex: Look: it's a new system and they are all learning but Cam is doing exciting things with this offense, you know the pistol and all that...so I mean its not all going to come together right away but I am very confident in Mark, I just feel that way

Mehta: Rex, numerous "sources" have said that many players are really frustrated with Mark continuing to start and feel like McElroy or Nassib should be given a chance. Why arent those guys getting a shot?

Rex: Mark's done it before, I just believe in him, he gives us the best chance to w.....

The rest of the press conference was lost as apparently the TV cannot handle the impact of a large red brick very well.

I wish this were more tongue in cheek, bit honestly tell me that you don't expect to hear almost these exact words from Rex in 7 months?

If Rex and the Mex are here next year it will suck worse than this year.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post

Rex: OK, first of all I want to let everyone know that Mark will be the starting QB next Sunday. We just feel...I'll tell you this: Mark did everything that was asked of him this offseason, I mean he was the first guy in and the first guy out. No one worked harder. He just really dedicated himself and did everything we asked.

I know that some people think that Mark had a bad season last year or whatever, but listen that is on more than one guy, I mean its not all on Mark. If Santnio doesn't go down...we had a lot of injuries and all that and like I said before, you know, I didn't really imprint on this team what I wanted this offense to be...

I know people say "ground and pound" but really that was meant for the specific personnel we had and I guess we got too wrapped up in that and I should have done a better job of letting evereyone know that what I wanted was an "all weather" offense...attacking like on defense, so maybe we let Mark down a little there.

But I know this: Mark got us to 2 AFC Championship games, and I really believe that he is the guy to get us there again...thats why we brough in Cam...Mark and him are like this, and Mark has been working really hard and doing everything we ask....I just believe that Mark gives us the best chance to win next week against Miami....I know you guys don't really like that answer much but I truly believe it and it is my call. So with that I will open it up to questions:

Leberfield: Rex, in the three pre-season games Sanchez didn't throw any touchdowns, had 3 picks and only scored 6 points on offense. How can you say that he gives you the best chance to win?

Rex: Look: it's a new system and they are all learning but Cam is doing exciting things with this offense, you know the pistol and all that...so I mean its not all going to come together right away but I am very confident in Mark, I just feel that way

Mehta: Rex, numerous "sources" have said that many players are really frustrated with Mark continuing to start and feel like McElroy or Nassib should be given a chance. Why arent those guys getting a shot?

Rex: Mark's done it before, I just believe in him, he gives us the best chance to w.....

The rest of the press conference was lost as apparently the TV cannot handle the impact of a large red brick very well.

I wish this were more tongue in cheek, bit honestly tell me that you don't expect to hear almost these exact words from Rex in 7 months?
    No I don't. For several reasons.

1. We don't know Miami is the first game next year.
    2. Rex was not really highlighting Mark at the PC earlier.
    3. Nassib might get into the first round via the combine.
    4. Sanchez might not play enough to get those stats in the preseason.

ETC.
    Last edited by Eckesg1; 01-14-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Very good job on the press conference Rex speech Johnny. I agree with your level of dread.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post

That was hilarious!

Jets Insider VIP
    Its a given this will happen. Rex has a tattoo of the guy.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Some quarterbacks are playoff-ready and some are not. You could see it all through the weekend, QB's that play badly under playoff pressure.

Say what you want about Mark Sanchez, but he's money in the playoffs. 60% completions, 9 TD's to 3 INT's, QBR of 94.5. 4-2 record. Arguably the best Jet on the field in the two losses. 6 playoff games, not a bad one yet.

It's the primary reason I want him to get a legitimate second look in a new offense. There's no point in going to the playoffs if your QB isn't capable of handling it once he's there. Mark Sanchez has cleared that hurdle.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaming Daddy View Post
    Just like Rex Ryan's postseason success has him hanging by a thread on the sidelines, Mark Sanchez' postseason success has him hanging by a thread on the roster. Both get a chance for redemption. Rex with a new GM and a new set of coordinators. Mark with a new coordinator, QB coach, and some legitimate weapons.

I never saw Joe Namath play. But I saw tons of Richard Todd, Ken O'Brien, Boomer Esiason, Neil O'Donnell, Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, and Kellen Clemens and none of them could do what Mark Sanchez could do in the playoffs. None of them.

There's a 70% chance that Mark Sanchez sucks and is done. But there's a 30% chance that we mishandled him and took away all his playmakers and he's a really good QB that was neglected. Finding a franchise QB is so hard we simply have to see if he still has it.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Its a given this will happen. Rex has a tattoo of the guy.
    No he doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Just like Rex Ryan's postseason success has him hanging by a thread on the sidelines, Mark Sanchez' postseason success has him hanging by a thread on the roster. Both get a chance for redemption. Rex with a new GM and a new set of coordinators. Mark with a new coordinator, QB coach, and some legitimate weapons.

I never saw Joe Namath play. But I saw tons of Richard Todd, Ken O'Brien, Boomer Esiason, Neil O'Donnell, Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, and Kellen Clemens and none of them could do what Mark Sanchez could do in the playoffs. None of them.

There's a 70% chance that Mark Sanchez sucks and is done. But there's a 30% chance that we mishandled him and took away all his playmakers and he's a really good QB that was neglected. Finding a franchise QB is so hard we simply have to see if he still has it.

SAR I
    I'd like to believe that, but Mark really doesn't inspire much faith or confidence.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    lol. Am I the only one who hasn't heard that before?

Who needs Tex Mex when you've got Rex Mex!

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Very good job on the press conference Rex speech Johnny. I agree with your level of dread.
    +1

In addition, ANY support I have for Rex at this time will evaporate completely should this come to pass.

gym rat
    film room
    jets west

Talking WESTHOFF DOESN'T BLAME SANCHEZ- NAMES DROP IN TALENT AS KEY

Westhoff said he expected Tebow to be used in a variety of different roles but said that the Jets didn't practiced such plays, even during the supposed "secret" training camp practices. “I don’t think anyone has answered that question. I don’t know why. I know we didn’t practice it. We didn’t practice it in training camp, we were going to unveil it. Well, I am still waiting for the unveiling. . . It was a distraction and really a shame because that’s a hard-working young man if you ever saw one.”

Speaking of QB Mark Sanchez, Westhoff called him a "manageable quarterback" but multiple system and player personnel changes that the Jets endured following their back-to-back trips to the AFC Championship games were "too much for him." The drop in talent that led to 8-8 and 6-10 seasons cost GM Mike Tannenbaum his job. Westhoff, of course, didn't spare Tannenbaum either: "Well when you're paying a handful of guys 40 percent of your salary cap, what the hell are you going to do with the rest of them?"

Westhoff also said that the defense did have “weaknesses” that put the offense in difficult positions. “But what would happen when our defense played on a long field, they are a little suspect in the middle,” he said. “Every one saw that and people moved the ball up the field on us. On a shortened field, our corner play constricted (their offense) and played very well and held people. Then they would punt it and Mark Sanchez would come out on the 10-yard line. There’s plenty to blame here, plenty to go around. To throw it all on Mark is a mistake because the defense is involved, too."

Westhoff mentioned the frustrating season was not the reason why he retired after 12 years with the Jets. He is not ruling out a return outside of New York and said he has heard from a couple of teams already.

If Mark gets the start week 1 I'm taking the season off and encouraging any D players to go with me. No way should he be the week one starter even if he is on the roster and looks the best in camp. Draft 2 new QBs maybe sign 2 more and have that open competition. If Mark is still on the team he is the #3 by default IMO.

Practice Squad
    What do you care? You'll be rooting for the Toronto Argonauts...

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellaz View Post
    What do you care? You'll be rooting for the Toronto Argonauts...
    You don't have a clue about me so STFU.

Jets Insider VIP
    SAR, you are aware that it is 2013 right? Stop posting stats from 3 years ago. They are irrelevant. Sanchez is not the same guy. He is shot.

Like a kicker who was ok and missed a big kick and now he cant make a kick to save his life. Thats sanchez. Hes done.

Stop posting stuff from 2010. Its an eternity ago.

Practice Squad
    You don't have a clue about me so STFU.
    Dreaming Daddy
    Praying for the Jets!
    Veteran

All I needed to know...

Exactly. what has he done lately...squat, nada, zilch, zero, stinko.