Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: The Rooney rule

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Posts
    623

    The Rooney rule

    I found this in Arrowhead Pride.
    In case you have a problem the Rooney Rule. Word broke Sunday that the Eagles interviewed former Ravens coach Brian Billick for their head coaching vacancy, and they'll interview Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden on Monday. Pretty good work by these guys' agents. Only once in nine seasons in Baltimore did Billick's teams finish in the top 10 in scoring offense. Gruden's been an offensive coordinator for two seasons, and his teams have been ranked 20th and 22nd in total offense. Yet, no one had to force Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie to call Billick, nor did any team require institutional prodding to call the surprisingly in-demand Gruden.

    So, when teams are calling guys like these of their free will, how could anyone have a problem with the requirement that they interview at least one non-white candidate? The fact black candidates are almost always referred to in the context of the Rooney Rule -- as if there would be reason to interview them otherwise -- speaks to the discrimination present in coaching hires, as does the fact the NFL only adopted the rule to avoid a lawsuit from the late Johnnie Cochran.

    But seeing these guys get calls while non-white candidates can't even get a sniff at coordinator positions should tell you how unlevel the playing field is in coaching. Sitting idly without trying to rectify that means one of two things -- the status quo is based on merit, or fairness isn't a goal worth pursuing, even if that pursuit is costless. Good luck arguing either point without sounding worse than you'd prefer.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    The Jets owner is now starting threads on JI?

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,829
    Billick is a SB winning HC that is very familiar with most FO b.c of the television work he has done since he left coaching. He is going to dabble and get interviews.

    Jay Gruden has been one of the hot HC candidates the past couple of years.

    If you are going to make accusations you have to back it up with black candidates you feel are getting overlooked. And proof that they are not getting interviews.

    And if an owner wants to hire a coach that has experience then who are the candidates that are getting overlooked? Lovie has been on multiple interviews. Romeo is retiring and has been an utter failure twice. Dungy can get a job tomorrow if he wants. Herm is happy at ESPN and is not a great HC.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    3,551
    There should be a JI rule to keep trash in the DUMP and off the main board.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    36,053
    No one should be forced to interview anyone.

    Just like no NFL team is forced to draft anyone.

    RGIII wasn't drafted because there is a requirement to draft a minority QB. The amazing thing is that NFL teams draft and hire the people that give them the best chance to win.

    Big surprise! There's no fantastic minority head coach being ignored or not hired because of his race. This is a multi-billion $ business and if an owner thinks that Lovie Smith, Herm Edwards, or someone else gives him a good chance to win he's going to get a job.

    I think it's an insult to someone to bring him in for an interview when there is absolutely no intention of hiring him....no matter if he's black, white or purple!

  7. #7
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    No one should be forced to interview anyone.

    Just like no NFL team is forced to draft anyone.

    RGIII wasn't drafted because there is a requirement to draft a minority QB. The amazing thing is that NFL teams draft and hire the people that give them the best chance to win.

    Big surprise! There's no fantastic minority head coach being ignored or not hired because of his race. This is a multi-billion $ business and if an owner thinks that Lovie Smith, Herm Edwards, or someone else gives him a good chance to win he's going to get a job.

    I think it's an insult to someone to bring him in for an interview when there is absolutely no intention of hiring him....no matter if he's black, white or purple!
    Keep those blinders on. There are only a very small number of minority coaches because none are qualified and none are the best for the job. Yea right. The same reason most of you didn't want Sparano has OC. His fin offense wasn't anything special yet he would be ok as Jet coach? I'm not saying owners wouldn't hire any. They will just keep hiring retreads over and over again. How the heck did Syracuse head coach get hired? I'm saying owners are more willing to go outside the box for non minority coaches and GM's. I am not saying unwilling to hire minorities just not as daring. That is prejudice which most people have to some degree.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Your bedroom window
    Posts
    13,757

    What in the HELL is this CRAP?!

    ???????



    Ah, racializm.




  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Posts
    623
    nothing at all

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    36,053
    Quote Originally Posted by wepnx View Post
    Keep those blinders on.


    There are only a very small number of minority coaches because none are qualified and none are the best for the job. Yea right. The same reason most of you didn't want Sparano has OC. His fin offense wasn't anything special yet he would be ok as Jet coach? I'm not saying owners wouldn't hire any. They will just keep hiring retreads over and over again.
    Our last two head coaches were first timers...Mangini and Rex.

    How the heck did Syracuse head coach get hired? I'm saying owners are more willing to go outside the box for non minority coaches and GM's. I am not saying unwilling to hire minorities just not as daring. That is prejudice which most people have to some degree.
    I'm not saying prejudices don't exist. I just don't think any owner of a $500M sports franchise is more interested in the race of his coach than winning football games.

    For the record, I'd love me some Lovie!

  11. #11

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Your bedroom window
    Posts
    13,757
    I think we need a Chinese GM, and a Pakistani Offensive Coordinator.
    Who cares if they have relevant experience or not!

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,639
    The Rooney rule is insulting.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post




    Our last two head coaches were first timers...Mangini and Rex.



    I'm not saying prejudices don't exist. I just don't think any owner of a $500M sports franchise is more interested in the race of his coach than winning football games.

    For the record, I'd love me some Lovie!
    500M sports Franchize? What are you talking about an NHL Team?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Klecko View Post
    500M sports Franchize? What are you talking about an NHL Team?
    Haynesworth got a 189M Contract

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    36,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Klecko View Post
    500M sports Franchize? What are you talking about an NHL Team?
    Sorry. Multiplied the perceived value of the Jets times our winning percentage!

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,559
    Quote Originally Posted by wepnx View Post
    Keep those blinders on. There are only a very small number of minority coaches because none are qualified and none are the best for the job. Yea right. The same reason most of you didn't want Sparano has OC. His fin offense wasn't anything special yet he would be ok as Jet coach? I'm not saying owners wouldn't hire any. They will just keep hiring retreads over and over again. How the heck did Syracuse head coach get hired? I'm saying owners are more willing to go outside the box for non minority coaches and GM's. I am not saying unwilling to hire minorities just not as daring. That is prejudice which most people have to some degree.
    I want to understand one premise of your argument. What's a very small number? There are currently 27 head coaches employed in the NFL. 3 of them are African American (11%). Same as the population of the country. At one point last year, there were 9 out of 32 (28%). Just want to know at what number you'll be comfortable dropping the "very low" claim.

  18. #18

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    I want to understand one premise of your argument. What's a very small number? There are currently 27 head coaches employed in the NFL. 3 of them are African American (11%). Same as the population of the country. At one point last year, there were 9 out of 32 (28%). Just want to know at what number you'll be comfortable dropping the "very low" claim.
    You already know the answer...

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    36,053
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    I want to understand one premise of your argument. What's a very small number? There are currently 27 head coaches employed in the NFL. 3 of them are African American (11%). Same as the population of the country. At one point last year, there were 9 out of 32 (28%). Just want to know at what number you'll be comfortable dropping the "very low" claim.
    And 50% of the President is black.

    So we have that.























Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us